Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's (32845 Views)

My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week / Mass Resignation Of Software Engineer In Banks / You're Fired If You're On This Call, CEO Lays Off 900 Workers On Zoom Call (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by rajiedreez: 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2021
Khd95:
Not in naija, some of those who resigned would have been shouting "ope oo" say he no invite us come the meeting, he for fire us too.

Then proccee to give testimony the next Sunday and sow seeds
Abio God will make us know the true value of workforce in Nigeria someday

2 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Lance7621: 6:03pm On Dec 08, 2021
SocialJustice:
They will all be replaced. No big deal.

Do you think it's easy to start from scratch when there is an existing system running. Who will train the new hired?
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SocialJustice: 7:03pm On Dec 08, 2021
Lance7621:

Do you think it's easy to start from scratch when there is an existing system running. Who will train the new hired?
It's a matter of asking HR to advertise for those slots to employ people with relevant experience. Qualified candidates might not want to work there because of how the previous people left but eventually, the company will find qualified candidates who don't mind.

2 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by lkillbrokehoes: 7:10pm On Dec 08, 2021
Indians are very wicked and heartless humans, followed by Chinese.

7 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SkengRay: 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2021
Before opening the thread I knew it was 100% going to be an Asian guy

2 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Lance7621: 8:40pm On Dec 08, 2021
SocialJustice:
It's a matter of asking HR to advertise for those slots to employ people with relevant experience. Qualified candidates might not want to work there because of how the previous people left but eventually, the company will find qualified candidates who don't mind.

The company would have lost value, revenue and brand reputation

3 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SocialJustice: 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2021
Lance7621:

The company would have lost value, revenue and brand reputation
hmm
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Terrier99: 4:50am On Dec 09, 2021
SocialJustice:
SocialJustice:

Your reasoning is so poor. I doubt if you've ever travelled out of Nigeria in your entire life. You reason like a casual staff in a Chinese factory.

6 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SocialJustice: 7:42am On Dec 09, 2021
Terrier99:

Your reasoning is so poor. I doubt if you've ever travelled out of Nigeria in your entire life. You reason like a casual staff in a Chinese factory.
I see, thank you.

3 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by jericco1(m): 1:40pm On Dec 09, 2021
Wow.. not likely to happen in Nigeria
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by seunny4lif(m): 1:40pm On Dec 09, 2021
Only in USA
You can’t fire someone in Europe like that
You will still be paying them till they get another job cheesy
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Bmaster(m): 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2021
CrownOfClay724:
I'm trying to understand what the hullabaloo is about.

Downsizing to stay afloat is no big deal.
Or you rather he go down himself?

For me, there is no difference between you're fired (said to your face) and you're fired ( conveyed over a medium).
Is there any?

This should serve as a business lesson for everyone sha.
When shit hits the ceiling , it would be all you and you alone.

Do what works for you.

you're not supposed to sack someone during Christmas month.
Where the person wan run to?
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by OwaliZiz(m): 1:54pm On Dec 09, 2021
Come and recruit Nigerians or better still contact any recruiting agent in Nigeria to advertise and recruit Nigerians, I bet you that all the positions will be filled in 3 hrs with best qualify human power in all the department

4 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Dialpad: 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2021
They have been replaced asap.... you work 2hrs and want to be paid for 8hrs .... who does that ?

He can as well outsource those job functions to Nigeria and see them work and deliver results aggressively.

3 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SmartyPants(m): 1:58pm On Dec 09, 2021
CrownOfClay724:

For me, there is no difference between you're fired (said to your face) and you're fired ( conveyed over a medium).
Is there any?

Do what works for you.

1. They are not downsizing to stay afloat, they re downsizing because the cEO is a dick

2. The manner in which the employees were fired was heartless and unecessary. I understand most of you are used to employers misbehaving but its not supposed to be so.

That is why communications, PR, and marketing people are the obnes leaving. He has made their job extremely difficult

1 Like

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by jasonex4(m): 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2021
rajiedreez:
The Executives

All these pictures come make dem resemble p*rn stars
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by SmartyPants(m): 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2021
Dialpad:
They have been replaced asap.... you work 2hrs and want to be paid for 8hrs .... who does that ?

He can as well outsource those job functions to Nigeria and see them work and deliver results aggressively.

That 2 hrs claim was a lie, as many of those fired have been shown to have been among the top performers. Read the full article!

2 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 2:01pm On Dec 09, 2021
CrownOfClay724:

Is there any?

Do what works for you.

The man came back to apologise after he noticed he showed no respect or gratitude to the employees he fired, but you, being a typical Nigerian with a slave mind, damaged by the Stockholm syndrome, masochist through and through, completely acclimatised to Ill treatment by superiors came here to speak in defence of such a crass behaviour! TUFIAKWA!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Psoul(m): 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2021
CrownOfClay724:

Is there any?

Do what works for you.

Since you don't know what good manners and etiquette means, read what Bible says.

Proverbs 15:1 -- “A soft word turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

2 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by TheGift: 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2021
Do what works for everyone involved. There are processes for firing people, especially when it is based on performance metrics. Make it clear. Make it fair. And do it with empathy.

But if you still want to do what works for you ( like bluntly tell 900 people on a zoom call , on 1st December just before the holidays, that they are fired) then be ready to bear the consequences.
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by BusinessDream: 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2021
nasonaso:
This can onky happen in a foreign land
never in Nigeria... ever. Poverty was weaponized to prevent something like this in this country.
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by DrMuzungu(m): 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
Bmaster:
you're not supposed to sack someone during Christmas month.
Where the person wan run to?

In addition to that, there is a huge difference between:

A) I am terribly sorry, but the economy is not good and we have to downsize. You are all laid off.

and

B) You lazy m0therphuck3rs are all fired.

To me (A) is unpleasant but, no matter how bad it is for the employees, is acceptable. But, (B) is never acceptable.

1 Like

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Jaqenhghar: 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
SocialJustice:
You think replacing peolle is that easy?
You think getting competent hands to continue years of work is easy?
Any competent person who knows his worth after seeing this will not apply.

Anyway I no blame you. You view the world through the lens of Niggeria . A place where work means going to office, sign in, gist all day, then sign out when its 4 and get paid fully

1 Like

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Jaqenhghar: 2:24pm On Dec 09, 2021
SocialJustice:
Men, I love how that place is so organised but then, recruiting will only take longer from the scenario you described.
It doesn't. You dont even have the volume of applicants the way you have in Nigeria
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Jaqenhghar: 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2021
SKhanmi:
Before the same happens to them. The downsizing is not the problem, Anybody who read the first report would have guessed the character of the guy. Their types are mostly terrible to work it. May we not work for most Asians, Lebanese & Indians.
There was this article about the increasing number of CEOs of Indian origin in Silicon valley. They article stated something about how they always put the company first and dont use emotions when making decisions. That's why the investors and Boards prefer them to run things
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by baba4thegehs: 2:28pm On Dec 09, 2021
SocialJustice:

Recruitment is one of the most difficult process for everyone in HR.

Finding talents is super tedious.

Except they wanna outsource you can't fill up that 700 roles in 2 years.
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by grandstar(m): 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2021
CrownOfClay724:

Is there any?

Do what works for you.we

Downsizing isnt the problem. It was how he went about it.

Downsizing the day after geting a massive infusion of cash casts him as heartless. Most companies downsize to cut down costs to save cash. Now there is cash, why downsize?

He should have been tactful about how to went about it. This is a PR disaster

3 Likes

Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by Unclefemolala(m): 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2021
I'm not racist but I once declined a job because the boss was an Indian after he condescend on me

Asians...Indians , Lebanese, Chinese are the most greedy, selfish and unconcerned and rash employer you can ever meet
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by 1opinion: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
There is a big deal, you sound like is so easy to start building up trust again with hundreds of workers.... That isn't going to be easy
SocialJustice:
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by foreshore(m): 2:40pm On Dec 09, 2021
rajiedreez:

The crisis is growing deeper at the startup Better.com, which is stuck in a public relations nightmare after CEO Vishal Garg brutally axed 900 workers in a last-minute webinar.

Multiple sources tell The Daily Beast that the company’s head of marketing, head of public relations, and vice president of communications all submitted their resignations in roughly the last week. The heads of communications and PR stepped down in the last two days.

“This is a first wave of resignations, and the company expects more,” a person familiar with the matter said.

The executives were not asked to step down, a company source added. Insider previously reported on the resignations.

SoftBank-backed Better did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The outgoing head of public relations Tanya Gillogley, head of marketing Melanie Hahn, and VP of communications Patrick Lenihan all declined to comment.

The fallout stems from Garg’s decision to lay off 900 employees on Dec. 1 in a hasty video stream, just a day after the company announced that it had secured $750 million in capital from investors.

During the three-minute call, Garg declared that he had once cried when firing employees, but that he hoped “to be stronger” this time.

He did not cry and instead informed attendees that the company had decided to sharply trim its staff. “If you’re on this call, you are part of the unlucky group,” he said. “Your employment is terminated effective immediately.”

A video of the firing circulated widely on social media, generating millions of hits across platforms.

Almost immediately after the call, the affected employees’ computers began to automatically shut down, including the computers of those who hadn’t been able to attend the meeting—leaving them confused and panicked.

In a subsequent video call with Better’s remaining staffers, and in statements posted to the anonymous social media site Blind, Garg assailed the employees he had just fired, claiming that many had worked just two hours per day on average.

“They were stealing from you and stealing from our customers... Get educated,” he said, in comments previously published by Fortune.

Multiple sources say that, in truth, some of the laid-off workers had been top performers.

Garg also intimated that remaining employees should look over their shoulders, lest he chop them next. "If you felt in the past that people weren't looking,” he said, “everyone is looking now.”

On Tuesday, Garg sent a note to his staff trying to win them back.

“I realize that the way I communicated this news made a difficult situation worse,” he said in the letter, which The Daily Beast obtained. “I am deeply sorry and committed to learning from this.”

He also apologized for critiquing their former colleagues. “I failed to show the appropriate amount of respect and appreciation for the individuals who were affected and for their contributions to Better,” he said.

This is hardly Garg’s first scandal. As Forbes reported in November 2020, he has a long trail of disgruntled business partners and has faced allegations that he or companies he controlled may have misappropriated tens of millions of dollars. (Garg has denied those allegations.)

This summer, The Daily Beast wrote about internal tumult at Better, after Garg lavished enormous perks on one of his top lieutenants in questionable fashion. The executive was deeply unpopular among many members of the staff, multiple sources said, but was distinguished for her loyalty to Garg.

She left the company in June after she was placed on leave amid bullying allegations.

SOURCE: https://www.thedailybeast.com/bettercom-executives-flee-after-ceo-vishal-gargs-viral-self-own

This can never happen in Nigeria
Re: CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's by emmaodet: 2:41pm On Dec 09, 2021
ProfAmaben:

Typical senseless Nigerian, no sense of self worth whatsoever. Remove social justice from your moniker.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

500 Nigerian Doctors Take Saudi Recruitment Test In Abuja / Job Interview: Is This The Best Response To "Why Should We Hire You"? / 2015 Usmanu Danfodio University Recruitment Apptitude Test Loading.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.