Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

How To Give Birth In America - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Give Birth In America (4147 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Give Birth In America by amykelly: 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2011
Hi my fellow Nairalanders, please i would like to find out the best way to give birth in America and the cost. My friend who is a Nigerian citizen and her husband is a Nigerian citizen wants to have her baby in the US. Any information will be helpful.

Additional information---

She had a miscarriage just before she got pregnant again and was told her wombing lining hasnt healed yet thus her reason for wanting to go abroad.
Also, she is four months pregnant.

Is it better for her to apply for a visiting visa
or medicare?

And what is the best way to go about this ??
Re: How To Give Birth In America by dancewith: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2011
amykelly:

Hi my fellow Nairalanders, please i would like to find out the best way to give birth in America and the cost. My friend who is a Nigerian citizen and her husband is a Nigerian citizen wants to have her baby in the US. Any information will be helpful.

Additional information---

She had a miscarriage just before she got pregnant again and was told her wombing lining hasnt healed yet thus her reason for wanting to go abroad.
Also, she is four months pregnant.

Is it better for her to apply for a visiting visa
or medicare?

Sorry, there is nothing like applying for medicare. Your friends need to get a B2 visa, which entitles them to medical treatment here. Should she disclose her intention at the foreign visa post, they would have any issues crossing the border. But if she says her trip is for pleasure and gets bumped up at the border, they can actually deport her. This just happened recently.

She can be lucky though as I have seen hundreds of folks cross over successfully

And what is the best way to go about this ??

Re: How To Give Birth In America by anfanio: 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2011
amykelly,
Your friends need to start the visa process NOW. Available visa dates are in August, if they are lucky to get any in August, September will put her in the seventh month of the pregnancy which is getting close because of her previous experience. If you mention 'medicare' it is GUARANTEED they will not get visas. They can apply as visitors or on medical grounds; both visas are issued as B2. You need to prove your medical situation and have a solid financial backing when applying on medical grounds.
Read this thread for cost and other info - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-617280.0.html
Good luck.
Re: How To Give Birth In America by princeonx: 3:36pm On Jul 05, 2011
well said anfanio!In addition, they might also ask your friend to contact or arrange with the hospital where she intend to have her baby, get an appointment or date, pay the deposit for the delivering of her child which is never cheap. They know people come here, have their child and ignore the bills and waka back to naija. Medicare is for US citizens only and if your (US citizen) income is high you will also not qualify so that is not an option for your friend. They have to apply as soon as possible. The embassy have a cut of date/month for pregnant women traveling to the USA. Most 7,8,or even early 9 months pregnant women collect papers from their doctors claiming to be only 4 or 5 months pregnant but in your friends case, its complicated. She can't claim to be 4,5 months pregnant and at the same time telling them she want to have a child here due to medical complications in the past. she need to produce proof and papers from her doctor which they don't trust/believe anyway because its not their own certified or recommended doctor. She will have to proof they can afford it which is also not cheap (I paid about $7,500 for my son's birth last year eventhough me and my wife are US citizens, medicare only pay some percentage of the bill). Some crazy airline won't even sell her ticket or let her board if she's too heavy (because of lawsuit if anything happen) so whatever your friend need to do they should start now and be fast about it cux time is not on their side. Anyway, its been a month already so I hope things are being done! goodluck!!
Re: How To Give Birth In America by worry246(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2011
After the woman had quins without paying UK NHS.
All hospitals in every country will be extra carefull thet pregnant women pay up front before birth!

(1) (Reply)

Wonderful Things To See Near Bermuda Triangle / Justwise / Go To Nigeria With Empty Nigerian Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.