Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax (20348 Views)

Jussie Smollett Charged With Felony For Filing False Police Report / How Empire Star Jussie Smollett Paid Two Nigerian Men To Attack Him (Photos) / Tonto Dikeh Reacts To Jussie Mollett Gay Attack: I Know What Bible Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by WoundedLamb: 2:26am On Dec 10, 2021
Chicago (CNN) -- Actor Jussie Smollett was found guilty Thursday on five of six felony counts of disorderly conduct for making a false report to Chicago police that he was the victim of a hate crime in January 2019, an attack prosecutors said he staged.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for more than nine hours over Wednesday and Thursday.
Smollett appeared rigid after the verdict was read in court late in the afternoon. He did not move and was seen gazing straight ahead. His fingers were interlaced and his hands were on the table. He didn't look at his family or the judge, instead focusing in the direction of the jury. A disorderly conduct charge for a false crime report is a Class 4 felony and punishable by up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine. Cook County Judge James Linn will have discretion in imposing a concurrent or consecutive sentence for each count at a later date.

Special prosecutor Dan Webb said at a news conference that he was proud of the jury.
"Mr. Smollett would not have lost this case as he did today unless the jury found that he lied to them," he said. "The fact that he came up with a completely ridiculous story to explain his misconduct did not apparently have an impact on the jury's verdict." Smollett was found guilty of disorderly conduct for making false reports to Chicago police officer Muhammad Baig and Detective Kimberly Murray on the day of the incident. He was acquitted of making of a false report to another Chicago detective weeks after the alleged attack. Defense attorney Nenye Uche called the verdict inconsistent, saying the jury cannot find Smollett lied in five instances but he did not in the sixth.

Uche said the defense team will appeal.
"It's pretty disappointing, what happened," he told reporters at the courthouse. "But we remain confident that we're gonna come back and he's going to be vindicated." Smollett left the courthouse without answering questions.

Brothers testified Smollett orchestrated attack.
On January 29, 2019, Smollett, who is Black and gay, told authorities he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack near his Chicago apartment early that morning. After the story broke, many celebrities, politicians and advocacy groups rallied behind the 39-year-old actor, who, according to police, said the alleged attackers attacked him at 2 a.m. as he walked back from a Subway sandwich shop.

LIVE UPDATES ON THE VERDICT
Chicago police investigated the case as a possible hate crime but soon said the actor orchestrated the incident. They said he paid two brothers he knew from the TV show "Empire" to stage the incident for publicity. Smollett said he paid the brothers for training advice and nutritional tips. The brothers, Bola and Ola Osundairo, were among seven witnesses for the prosecution. The brothers testified that Smollett directed them and paid them to stage the attack in an attempt to get media attention. They said that they fake punched him, poured bleach on him, put a noose around his neck and used racist and homophobic slurs -- because he told them to.

"Who was in charge of this thing?" Webb asked.
"Jussie was," Bola Osundairo told the jury.

Defense attorneys also called seven witnesses to testify, highlighted by Smollett himself. Over eight hours on Monday and Tuesday, he laid out his version of the incident, attempted to cast doubt on the brothers' true motivations and explained his distrust for police.

"Have you ever planned a hoax?" one of his attorneys asked.
"Never in my life," Smollett said.

Smollett was initially indicted in March 2019 on 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct. But Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office suddenly dropped all charges weeks later, saying he did community service, lost his $10,000 bond and was no danger to the community. He also had no previous felony convictions. Smollett's character was written off "Empire," which ended in 2020, soon after his arrest and though he has since directed and produced a film, he has not appeared on screen again. He was indicted on new charges in February 2020 when the special prosecutor looked at the case after debate as to whether Smollett received preferential treatment from the state's attorney's office.
Smollett still faces a civil suit from the city that demands reimbursement for the cost of investigating his reported attack. He filed a countersuit in November 2019 that eventually was dismissed.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/09/us/jussie-smollett-trial-thursday-jury-deliberations/index.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by WoundedLamb: 2:51am On Dec 10, 2021
The brothers, Bola and Ola Osundairo, were among seven witnesses for the prosecution. The brothers testified that Smollett directed them and paid them to stage the attack in an attempt to get media attention.

To get media attention? This one is hard for me to wrap my head around. This guy has had the spotlight since he was a kid. He was in the middle of a very successful show. What kind of attention was he seeking?

Sad.

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by anthonyuncle(m): 2:51am On Dec 10, 2021
he is a gay.

so am not surprised

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by benuejosh: 4:38am On Dec 10, 2021
This gay guy court case never finish since?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Flamemignon1(m): 5:03am On Dec 10, 2021
WoundedLamb:

To get media attention? This one is hard for me to wrap my head around. This guy has had the spotlight since he was a kid. He was in the middle of a very successful show. What kind of attention was he seeking?

Sad.
He should face the runt of his plans. Boy could've had it all being a double minority in America but he had to ruin it and this is one kind of good press for his B-boy Blues movie that just came out

2 Likes

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Flamemignon1(m): 5:04am On Dec 10, 2021
anthonyuncle:
he is a gay.

so am not surprised
What's that suppose to mean?

7 Likes

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by WoundedLamb: 5:14am On Dec 10, 2021
Flamemignon1:

He should face the runt of his plans. Boy could've had it all being a double minority in America but he had to ruin it and this is one kind of good press for his B-boy Blues movie that just came out

He really blew it.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Flamemignon1(m): 5:29am On Dec 10, 2021
WoundedLamb:

He really blew it.
OMG... Who made that meme? I just rolled away from my bed laughing

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Karemarealty288(m): 5:30am On Dec 10, 2021
Clout gone wrong.

6 Likes

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by WoundedLamb: 5:34am On Dec 10, 2021
Flamemignon1:

OMG... Who made that meme? I just rolled away from my bed laughing

Hehe... grin

People are mean.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by NwaNimo1(m): 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2021

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by SportsHD: 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2021
Reminds me of that Dave Chappelle joke grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by JovialJune(f): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2021
Lol and he destroyed his career, very good for him

Lgbtq people are fond of guilt tripping those that don't conform with their lifestyle or falsifying hate against them just to garner public sympathy, a lesson to them all.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Jidemoo: 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2021
E bi things
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Nagoroc: 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2021
Jamal to the world

1 Like

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Shuggaa: 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2021
K
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by VOsimhen144(m): 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2021
Here in the zoo.
Lying to zoogeria police or not. They don't care.

As long you give them #100 you're good to go.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2021
Taking to court For just lieing to police ?
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2021
I saw Nenye, Bola and Olu in the report, why isn't there Adamu or Abubakar? I am not happy. Federal character was not considered, we will not take it!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by bluefilm: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2021
The useless gay idiot allowed himself to be used by the Leftist party.

6 Likes

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by elhafeez(m): 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2021
H
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by money121(m): 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2021
Ok
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by BlaqJosh: 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2021
Too bad.
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2021
angry
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Bestie01(f): 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2021
Love this guy's video wit Alicia key,still have that video on my phone

5 Likes

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by advanceDNA: 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Sad.

You are surprised??
While the LGBT folks may have truly been bullied by heterosexual men over the years, the LGBT community has also been known to use the government to pass special laws in their favour since many of them are now in power.

The staged crime, if successful, was supposed to have a rippling effect and make the government pass more stup!d laws to protect LGBT folks....

It’s not the first time..the leftist arranged it but
Jussie Smolett was just stupid enough to let his attention seeking ass get caught in the middle

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by FactBoyz: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2021
tongue
Re: Jussie Smollett Found Guilty Of Lying To Police In Hate Crime Hoax by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2021
When they say being gay is a mental disorder y'all think it's a joke. They are just bunch of attention seeking faggøts

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leo Dasilva: "I Am Not Going To Push Alex Out Of My Life" / Regina Daniels Celebrates 1.9million Followers On Instagram (photos) / 'I Am An Unapologetic Feminist' - Sophia Momodu Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.