Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands (14479 Views)

Harvard Puntin University (temp Room) / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery / Hurry Up! African Aliance Private Placement Is On: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

That's the spirit my sister!!!

so what's up with you? how bodi, my brother

@virgo,
that is the gospel truth right there. that post is definitely right on point
I heard it too that while ethiopia was suffering it's famine in the 90s, the country was a net exporter of food!!  shocked
so instead of "charity" why didn't the west simply stop importing ethiopian crops and let them divert the plantation for sustenance cropping?
the whole idea of charity and developmental aid is just a joke the west play maybe to laugh at us or something. lol

what we need right now is a revamp of our foreign policy. we need especially good and confident leaders to handle our foreign relations
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 9:30pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

@virgo,
I heard it too that while ethiopia was suffering it's famine in the 90s, the country was a net exporter of food!!  shocked
so instead of "charity" why didn't the west simply stop importing ethiopian crops and let them divert the plantation for sustenance cropping?
the whole idea of charity and developmental aid is just a joke the west play maybe to laugh at us or something. lol

what we need right now is a revamp of our foreign policy. we need especially good and confident leaders to handle our foreign relations

Exactly!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2011

bodi dey oooo

so are you joining the movement? you ve got to put your money where your mouth is, we need to raise an aggressive campaign to save our continent from western invasion

I am particularly worried about the West stealing our kids , we can't afford to let that happen!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

US blaming middle-east for terrorism? Seriously, do you NEED to do this?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

it was an example. unless you want to start an argument about it which I am definitely ready for.
people don't generally blame themselves for being exploited. you shouldn't!
at best, you learn from your mistakes and FIGHT the exploiter. the way you choose to fight it of course matters. you could go the US way of beating ur chest and blowing up things. or the ghandi way of peaceful resistance or whatever.
but the point is you recognized that you have an oppressor and FIGHT the oppression.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

Me sarcastic ke? lai lai!!

violent:

true talk o my sister.  this Oyinbo people self, dem just like to dey exploit us sha, God no go gree for them!. . .the spirits of our ancestors no go allow make dem rest!. . .kai!!! which kain nonsense self.

We must fight this o. . . .you and me together, we go fight kon save mother africa commot from dia hand!

Lailai to slave trade. . .na 21st century be this!!
What ancestors are you talking about?
Those ancestors that sold our brothers as slaves to the whiteman for gin and mirrors?
Even though the ancestors come back from the dead to fight there is nothing they can do because the Westerners have the guns and the bombs.Remember how the europeans finished off our ancestors with the Gatling gun during the colonial wars.Look if the west wants to colonise africa a second time there"s nothing we can do about it and they are already on their way in colonising africa.America wants to establish a military base in West africa and NATO is already talking about establishing a base in africa as well.We are merely puppets in the hands of the West and God help our f00lish potbellied leaders.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 9:43pm On Jun 14, 2011
^^ Violent is in sarcasm mode bro. grin
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 9:50pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ Violent is in sarcasm mode bro. grin

Me sarcasm ke? lai lai!

I mean every word i say, i have no time for sarcasm!

I am recruiting a massive army to help fight against the west!. . .we shall call it THE GREAT ARMY OF MOTHER AFRICA (GAMOA)

You have a chance to save africa, join the movement now!. . .People like Kobojunkie will never understand, sometimes i wonder if she just likes hearing the sound of her own voice!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 9:53pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

bodi dey oooo

so are you joining the movement? you ve got to put your money where your mouth is, we need to raise an aggressive campaign to save our continent from western invasion

I am particularly worried about the West stealing our kids and our dogs, we can't afford to let that happen!

no I can't join you, my brother. i'm not violent. pun intended  tongue
aggression is not the solution. to me, part of it is foreign policy strategy and negotiation.

I think this forum for example is an educative platform on it's own. but it definitely shouldn't end here.

so, my bro, are u sharpening your cutlass for the revolution? but u gotta make some libyan friends for some guidance first though.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

it was an example. unless you want to start an argument about it which I am definitely ready for.

An example of what? I don't think I have ever read anywhere that the west blames the middle-east for terrorism. However what concerns me more is the fact that you felt to introduce that into this discussion as an example . . and I ask again, example of what?

Jenifa_:

people don't generally blame themselves for being exploited. you shouldn't!
at best, you learn from your mistakes and FIGHT the exploiter. the way you choose to fight it of course matters. you could go the US way of beating your chest and blowing up things. or the ghandi way of peaceful resistance or whatever.
That is hogwash . . . the only people who do not blame themselves for being exploited are id-iots who will likely continue being exploited for being so  silly. We have a saying "Once beaten twice shy" -- I think the popular version is "fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, Shame on me!!!" . Some have gone as far as to suggest that Africa has a RIGHT to be the fool on so many occassions, just so they can keep that finger of blame pointed at THE WEST.

How can we fight the "exploiter" when we readily ALLOW the "exploitation" when we play dumb year after year?  Give yout US rants a rest and focus for one bit on the truly african side of the problem.

Jenifa_:

but the point is you recognized that you have an oppressor and FIGHT the oppression.
oh, I recognize the oppressor alright. Fortunately, in my case, the oppressors are the African leaders you,me, and other Africans, vote back in to power, year after year, by our continued silence, so they can OPPRESS one more round with their stupidity.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2011

How can we fight the "exploiter" when we readily ALLOW the "exploitation" when we play dumb year after year?

there are different forms of exploitation. political exploitation, ecomonic exploitation, domestic exploitation, foreign exploitation etc etc.
yes our leaders are exploiting us. but in THIS topic (read the topic title about land grabbing) we are talking about foreign exploitation. so let's stay with the topic.
maybe create another thread for domestic exploitation then I will be the first to agree with you that we are being exploited by our leaders.

I don't think I have ever read anywhere that the west blames the middle-east for terrorism.

lol case closed.
like I said, we are functioning on way different wavelengths.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

there are different forms of exploitation. political exploitation, ecomonic exploitation, domestic exploitation, foreign exploitation etc etc.
yes our leaders are exploiting us. but in THIS topic (read the topic title about land grabbing) we are talking about foreign exploitation. so let's stay with the topic.
maybe create another thread for domestic exploitation then I will be the first to agree with you that we are being exploited by our leaders.
Again, we ALLOW the exploitation, so why is the foreigner to blame for OUR CHOICE to play the FO_OLS over and over?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 10:07pm On Jun 14, 2011
Give yout US rants a rest and focus for one bit on the truly african side of the problem

Africa has no problem, it's the west that has come with helicopter gunships and massive tanks to steal our land that is the problem!.  How can you not see this?

The other day, i saw an american hold a gun to the head of one poor bloke in Ijebu Igbo. The American threatened to kill him if he doesn't give up his family lands, the poor bloke has no choice but to oblige. We can't let this continue!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 10:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again, we ALLOW the exploitation, so why is the foreigner to blame for OUR CHOICE to play the FO_OLS over and over?

look at the topic title for christ sake. do you see "evil westerners" in it or "mumu africans"
the whole point of this topic is asking ourselves why we allow westerners to exploit us.

it's one thing to blame. and it's another thing to ACT on the conviction that the west is doing us wrong.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

look at the topic title for christ sake. do you see "evil westerners" in it or "mumu africans"
the whole point of this topic is asking ourselves why we allow westerners to exploit us.

it's one thing to blame. and it's another thing to ACT on the conviction that the west is doing us wrong.

@Jenifa, when it comes to playing both sides of issues, you definitely don't have the skills. ROFL . . . leave it to @violent and co, who seem way way way better at it . . . . grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 10:17pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

Africa has no problem, it's the west that has come with helicopter gunships and massive tanks to steal our land that is the problem!.  How can you not see this?

The other day, i saw an american hold a gun to the head of one poor bloke in Ijebu Igbo.  The American threatened to kill him if he doesn't give up his family lands, the poor bloke has no choice but to oblige. We can't let this continue!!!

Yes ooo . . . Na America tell Akala make im withdraw 3 Billion in 5 days(or was that 5 Billion in 3 days)  . . . .  ROFLMAO!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 10:18pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Jenifa, when it comes to playing both sides of issues, you definitely don't have the skills. ROFL  . . . leave it to @violent and co, who seem way way way better at it . . . .  grin grin grin grin grin

I don't really understand your comment here.
and i'm assuming you didn't understand my comment either.
maybe it is even better this way.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

I don't really understand your comment here.
and i'm assuming you didn't understand my comment either.
maybe it is even better this way.

I did understand your comment, only you suck at playing both sides of this fence!  It is OK . . . . you can't do that in this case really grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 10:27pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

I heard it too that while ethiopia was suffering it's famine in the 90s, the country was a net exporter of food!!  shocked

Jenifa, to help your point further:

The same damn thing happened in Ireland prior to and during the infamous Potato famine which led to the death and migration of millions of Irish people in the mid 1700s. Ireland was a net exporter to Britain -a controlling manipulative more powerful nation, while Irish people were dying in droves. (See the quote below)

There is nothing new about this at all. Like I alluded to earlier on the thread, history is very cyclical, that is why we need good leadership.

It is fun and cool to put the blame on Africans or scream at white folks, but the truth lies somewhere in-between, We have a terrible leadership class filled with folks who see themselves as inferior and see little value in the lives and needs of people who are like them.

It is internalized self-hate masquerading as narcissism, if you ask me  undecided

It's inferiority complex 101, our leaders (who are the same as most of us) don't have an obsession with promoting the needs of their people over those of other competitors possibly because they feel inferior already.  So, we will continue to suffer until we sieze the initiative. Resources are scare, they are not finite, But it seems we have leaders who don't get that.

Cecil Woodham-Smith, an authority on the Irish Famine, wrote in The Great Hunger; Ireland 1845–1849 that no issue has provoked so much anger and embittered relations between England and Ireland as "the indisputable fact that huge quantities of food were exported from Ireland to England throughout the period when the people of Ireland were dying of starvation." Ireland remained a net exporter of food throughout most of the five-year famine

You can read a summary of it on Wikipedia, or check the library for literature on the Irish Potato famine, the similarities are starkling.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 10:37pm On Jun 14, 2011
^ yea. i'm not surprised about Ireland. even here in the US you have a debt crisis. and a financial crisis in europe. obviously poo happens to many countries.
but most countries tend to learn from their lessons (or at least they try strategies to prevent errors) while african ones never do. we keep repeating the same thing over and over. undecided

It is fun and cool to put the blame on Africans or scream at white folks, but the truth lies somewhere in-between,

you couldn't have put it better.
the truth is definitely somewhere in-between.
ex your example of britian as a "controlling manipulative and more powerful nation" towards ireland at the time.
in this case, you won't point all your hands completely at corrupt irish leaders but also recognize an opressive british power as well.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

You can read a summary of it on Wikipedia, or check the library for literature on the Irish Potato famine, the similarities are starkling.

that's one long entry. i'm reading it though
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 10:52pm On Jun 14, 2011
^^ yea, it's pretty long. The word "summary" was a "bait" lol, glad you are reading it.

In this case, you won't point all your hands completely at corrupt irish leaders but also recognize an opressive british power as well.

That is it.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 10:58pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

in[b][size=13pt] this [/size][/b]case, you won't point all your hands completely at corrupt irish leaders but also recognize an opressive british power as well.

Now the Irish case, is [size=13pt]NOT OUR CASE[/size].  grin grin grin grin
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by cap28: 12:01am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

The west keep giving Haiti millions of pounds in relief aids since the unfortunate earthquake, who told them Haiti needs their money?  It's pretty obvious that someone in Washington or 10 dowing street, intends to buy up  Haiti one day and make the country a big golf course . . . . ., how people who claim to be intellectuals could not see this is way beyond my imagination. . . . .

Violent why do you make statements like the one above? do you actually know the history of Haiti?

Do you even understand the terrible deeds that the US govt have committed in Haiti since that country emancipated itself from slavery in 1807?

I will leave it to you to educate yourself on Haiti's tragic history and america's destruction of her economy as punishment for defeating the french, british and spanish in an imperial war and becoming the first black republic.
Haiti was subjected to a 60 year trade embargo by europe and america , it was also forced to pay compensation running into millions of francs to its former slave masters the french!!! the only nation in history where an emancipated people have had to pay compensation to their former slave owners for fighting and winnning their own freedom!!!

You seem to be under the illusion that america is doing Haiti some sort of favour by sending a releif effort with regard to the earthquake, they owe Haiti a lot more than charity and if you could only broaden your horizons and try and find out the truth it would do you a world of good.

If america had Haiti's interst at heart why did US marines kidnap democratically elected reformist leader  Jean Bertrand Aristide and deport him to Congo in 2004?  could it be because of his land reform programme in which he sought to redistribute agricultural land being used by american multinationals to grow cash crops for export the same way they intend to grow  cash crops solely for export in africa?  Or was it because he planned to introduce a minimum wage for his people and put a stop to the starvation wages that his people who work in american  owned sweat shops were being paid?

Jenifa and Virgo - thanks for posting - enjoyed reading your posts.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:06am On Jun 15, 2011
^^^

Can't you see we are on the same page?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by cheikh: 12:08am On Jun 15, 2011
ola olabiy
The investors have done nothing wrong.
It's up to your governments to look after your interest and that of your posterity.

@ola olabiy   ^^

Gbam!! sad sad.  Unfortunately there are no seemingly "legitimate" govts in Ethiopia, South Sudan, Mozambique, Central African Rep., Liberia, Gabon and Tanzania. The victims of such so called investments are citizens(minorities) who have no national political leverage. We are truly a wicked and insensitive people. All the economic reasons given in this forum are very plausible and make absolute sense in an equitable equal world but we know the reality of the socio-political dynamics in those countries if we care to look. Trust me no investor (FDI) for agricultural lands will be going to Kenya, South-Africa, Nigeria(south) or Uganda where they already have issues pertaining to land any time soon. South America, USA, Canada, much of East and Western Europe including Pakistan/India despite her large populations still have large tracks of land but no investors will be going to those places for large tracks of land either short or long term leases however attractive the terms or interest rates etc. There are no purposeful, "nationalistic" nation states in Africa hence our vulnerability to all manner of lucre. Remember Angola? sad . Our condition is dire indeed.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by manny4life(m): 12:22am On Jun 15, 2011
@ Violent,

I would have loved to correct you on the statement about CPI,, Inflation et.al, but looks like I'm 5pages behind from where I last left off, so I will let it rest. Although, if u still like to know how I calculate it, @ your request I will perform the calculation of the question I previously asked you.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by cap28: 12:37am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

^^^

Can't you see we are on the same page?

no i cant - explain
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by buzugee(m): 12:42am On Jun 15, 2011
the cycle of life. you come in butt nekkid, you leave butt nekkid. do you know the numbers of african home owners in the west ? maybe over 5 million. imagine all that land ? all the money been sent to africa via western union annually ? billions of dollars. all the money been siphoned dubiously from the west annually by 419 africans ? billions. hey we are all in bed with each other. we are all forking each other. relax and have a glass of wine yall. it aint all bad grin
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Jun 15, 2011
rofl
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by buzugee(m): 12:52am On Jun 15, 2011
money come in one way. it leave out the other. thats life. anyway, kobojunkie whats good ? how bout them dallas mavericks huh ? i am still heartbroken for the miami heats. i wanted them to win. ahhh oh welll. nxt yr
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by pleep(m): 3:26am On Jun 15, 2011
cap28:

Violent why do you make statements like the one above? do you actually know the history of Haiti?

Do you even understand the terrible deeds that the US govt have committed in Haiti since that country emancipated itself from slavery in 1807?

I will leave it to you to educate yourself on Haiti's tragic history and america's destruction of her economy as punishment for defeating the french, british and spanish in an imperial war and becoming the first black republic.
Haiti was subjected to a 60 year trade embargo by europe and america , it was also forced to pay compensation running into millions of francs to its former slave masters the french!!! the only nation in history where an emancipated people have had to pay compensation to their former slave owners for fighting and winnning their own freedom!!!

You seem to be under the illusion that america is doing Haiti some sort of favour by sending a releif effort with regard to the earthquake, they owe Haiti a lot more than charity and if you could only broaden your horizons and try and find out the truth it would do you a world of good.

If america had Haiti's interst at heart why did US marines kidnap democratically elected reformist leader  Jean Bertrand Aristide and deport him to Congo in 2004?  could it be because of his land reform programme in which he sought to redistribute agricultural land being used by american multinationals to grow cash crops for export the same way they intend to grow  cash crops solely for export in africa?  Or was it because he planned to introduce a minimum wage for his people and put a stop to the starvation wages that his people who work in american  owned sweat shops were being paid?

Jenifa and Virgo - thanks for posting - enjoyed reading your posts.

The money they payed to france was not simple "millions" what they payed is the equvalent of 20 billion U.S dollars. A Whopping 90 million francs in 1825.

Thats why Hati is one of the most wretched countries on earth.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by pleep(m): 3:39am On Jun 15, 2011
I heard it too that while ethiopia was suffering it's famine in the 90s, the country was a net exporter of food!! 
The ironic part of this whole thing is that the Ethiopian government has already sold combined plots of land the size of Wales to various foreign farming companies.  And they recently sold 300,000 hectacres to an Indian Firm.

When asked if it made any sense to export food while still on food aid. A government minister said "its the correct way" or some bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFl6HUh6yKI

I havent been following this tread, but i hope you guys were able to convince the ignorant or just 'ill informed people' that think this is a good idea that they are wrong.

btw guys how do you post videos on this site so that the video shows up on the Nairaland screen?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

List of Top Management Consulting Companies In Nigeria / CBN’s Supply Ban Won’t Affect Us - BDCs / 10 Reasons Why Nigerians Must Start Affiliate Marketing Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.