Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,599 members, 7,823,608 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- (15878 Views)

Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. / Police Arrest 3 Dowen School Students Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death / Sylvester Oromoni: Video Of Dowen College Student In Pains Before He Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by ijustdey: 8:39am On Dec 13, 2021
Sylvester Oromoni: Why parents of fleeing suspected Dowen college students can be liable – VC

There are speculations that some parents of the suspected students of Dowen College had flown their children out of Nigeria to evade arrest and possible prosecution.

By Ameh Ejekwonyilo

Parents of fleeing students of Dowen College in Lagos as well as the school management could be held liable over the alleged assault and eventual demise of Sylvester Oromoni, the Vice-Chancellor of Kwara State University, KWASU, Muhammed Akanbi, has said.

Oromoni Junior was a 12-year-old Junior Secondary School 2 student of Dowen College at Lekki area of Lagos State.

Police in Lagos had on Tuesday, confirmed the arrest of three students of Dowen College, in connection with the controversial death of the 12-year-old student of the school.

The police spokesperson in the state, Adekunle Ajisebutu, who confirmed the development to PREMIUM TIMES on Tuesday, however, did not disclose the identities of those students in custody.

PREMIUM TIMES had earlier reported that the bereaved family had insisted that the 12-year-old mentioned five senior students of the college in his last-minute narrative on how he was allegedly tortured over his refusal to join a secret cult.

The father, Sylvester Oromoni Snr, also said his son confided in him that he was handed a substance to drink.

There have been speculations that some parents of the suspected students had flown their children out of Nigeria to evade arrest and possible prosecution.

‘Why parents of fleeing students may be liable’

In an interview with PREMIUM TIMES, Mr Akanbi, a professor of law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), said it might be difficult to prosecute parents for the “sins” of the children. “But there is something called aiding and abetting.”

“That is, a person has committed an offence, and you helped that person to escape from justice, then our criminal books have something for such parents.

“Those these are juveniles, but we still have provisions of the law that will bring them to justice,” the Vice-Chancellor explained

“So, if a parent has deliberately moved his or her child from the country to escape justice, that parent should be liable for the particular offence of allowing an offender to escape justice,” he said.

Giving perspectives on the school’s alleged abdication of responsible, Mr Akanbi admitted that is a bit technical, “whether the school (Dowen College) is vicariously liable,” querying if, “The school put in place mechanisms that will checkmate bullying.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/500373-sylvester-oromoni-why-parents-of-fleeing-suspected-dowen-college-students-can-be-liable-vc.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by slawormiir: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2021
Damnnn niggar
There should be quick justice on this issue

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by LordGuru1: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2021
Guilty as charged.

for:
"A clean conscience fears no accusation!"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by PennywysCares(m): 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2021
embarassed

Should jail them all

6 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Muchmore024: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2021
They cant escape the spiritual wrath if they escape physical

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Sebastine1994(m): 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2021
This is just a symptom of bad government and bad parenting combined. But the government has a big hand in this case

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Boyooosa(m): 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2021
Small time, the so called parents will come out to lie that they allowed their children to flee because of the threat they were receiving from the society....

6 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Karrima: 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2021
They have to provide their children to the authorities.

3 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by jrusky(m): 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2021
Then arrest their parent that flown them out.

Anyone who aid crime or support it is also a criminal.

If thief steal something and you keep for him or her that automatically make you a thief.

So arrest the parent for aiding crime.

17 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2021
why are we talking as if this is not Nigeria? We know how this case will end. Unfortunately money will change hands. it is the same so called family and friends of the deceased's parents that will persuade them to take the money. We are just an effed up people.

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by alphaconde(m): 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
rip to Sylvester...

me and my household have no business with boarding schools

but in fact bullying in schools is a real monster

my 3 yr old son has been complaining of one Murphy always pushing him in school I had to teach him to push him back until the complaint stopped.

lets never leave caring for our kids for distant persons.

8 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by nairavsdollars(f): 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
Why are they fleeing if they are not guilty

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by drlucky17: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
The case seems to be dieing down o …oh Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Yankiss(m): 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2021
Wickedness. Any hope for Nigeria? When youngsters of this level are already full-fledged demons sucking blood.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by candidbabe(f): 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2021
#justiceforsylvesteroromoni

Enough of bullying in our secondary schools

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Avalonking5(m): 1:28pm On Dec 13, 2021
Hello All!

I have an Affiliate ebook with comprehensive video training and bonuses I risked to purchased for 50k early this year just because i wanted to change my life and it's worth it but I haven't started practicing yet because my laptop got faulty and I do not have enough money to start paying for ads to get subscribers.

The whole process was like using money to get more money.

I want to give it out for 5k.

Note: There's a lot of proofs that I bought the package(my receipts) and proofs that I have the package to avoid every form of doubt.

Please, buy from me.

I'm in my final year in the university and I don't have money for my project which would be due for final submission in the next few month.

Please, Rich Nairalanders, buy from me with love.

The training package comes with:

(1) Over 200 bonuses apps you can use as incentives for your prospective subscribers.

(2) Enormous amount of emails swipes, so you don't have to be writing sale's letters. Just copy and paste.

(3) whattttsap/p me at 0_7_0_85(2)_(2)_(3)_1__45 if you're interested.

God bless youuuuuu............. ......
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Passionate888: 1:28pm On Dec 13, 2021
Aunty Kemi might know their whereabout as an 'investigative journalist ' grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:28pm On Dec 13, 2021
Hmm
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 13, 2021
Sebastine1994:
This is just a symptom of bad government and bad parenting combined. But the government has a big hand in this case

is it not Nigerians that make up government? I am tired of people blaming govt for everything. Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria!!!

5 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by GboyegaD(m): 1:31pm On Dec 13, 2021
For such parents, they are trying to evade justice which I believe is a crime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by TimmyTen(m): 1:31pm On Dec 13, 2021
Ok
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:31pm On Dec 13, 2021
Ok for this naija , and u think the parents are just ordinary people

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by FreeIgboho: 1:34pm On Dec 13, 2021
alphaconde:
rip to Sylvester...

me and my household have no business with boarding schools

but in fact bullying in schools is a real monster

my 3 yr old son has been complaining of one Murphy always pushing him in school I had to teach him to push him back until the complaint stopped.

lets never leave caring for our kids for distant persons.

THE SENIORITY NONSENSE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS MUST BE ABOLISHED AND SERIOUSLY DEALT WITH!!!

RIP Sylvester
Your death won't be in vain

5 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by BigDawsNet: 1:34pm On Dec 13, 2021
sad. They can run but law of karma will catch them...
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by absoluteSuccess: 1:35pm On Dec 13, 2021
Wickedness is well seated in the heart of men, only the law can deal with it.

Only God can recompense just in case they get away from the law.

Men of deadly devotions abound. Bullying and wickedness is in their nature.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by tillaman(m): 1:35pm On Dec 13, 2021
sad
The same way you value your mannerless kid(s) is the same Sly’s Parents valued him
So helping them escape justice is not going to end well for both the kids and the parents

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 13, 2021
Didn't herdsmen attack some Kwara students recently? The VC should face his state and shut up
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by DennisEche(m): 1:39pm On Dec 13, 2021
smiley
This case is big Men vs Big Man. Dog eat Dog.
Nothing is coming out of it
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- by FreeIgboho: 1:42pm On Dec 13, 2021
Passionate888:
Aunty Kemi might know their whereabout as an 'investigative journalist ' grin grin

Ya mean LUNatic oLUNloyo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strike: FG Meets ASUU Today, SSANU Friday / Pictures From The Burial Of Olurotimi Sikiru Akeusola (MOCPED Provost) / Kaduna Schools To Remain Closed Till Further Notice - State Governmet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.