Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years (3160 Views)

Jonathan To Lead 33-nation Election Observers In Tanzania. / Buhari’s Cabinet: 33 Ministerial Nominees Fail Corruption Test-tribune / Air Force Corporal Slaps CSP Thrice At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by snowdrops(m): 8:15pm On Jun 14, 2011
Reference:

Really, then she should ask her 1 million naira a day husband if his wages could be better spent elsewhere. And by the way where was she traveling to.
took words out of my mouth. she was probably going to help her husband trasfer stolen loot abroad.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by member479760: 8:30pm On Jun 14, 2011
33 years ago whiteman finshed the project and it remain like that, the job of our engineers is to look and report any damage and not to fix. remember they have university degree.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 14, 2011
MMIA is a sorry excuse for an airport period. It should be razed down and rebuilt
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by seyibrown(f): 9:58pm On Jun 14, 2011
The only 'infrastructure'  well maintained in Nigeria is 'Customer Shafting Personnel'; everywhere you turn they are there. At the airports, banks, schools, governemnt offices . . . . everywhere!

Sorry, Madam Mrs Senator, I saw that same pile of poo in 2006 and I haven't forgotten what it looks like . . . and even if you had managed to find some space to do the business, you may have had to clean up with your hands - no toilet paper and no water . . . . your aides would have come to your aid sha!
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by olaolabiy: 10:14pm On Jun 14, 2011
naijababe:

MMIA is a sorry excuse for an airport period. It should be razed down and rebuilt

Not the answer, IMO.

After 10 years, same ol' story.

How dem go repair when dem children wan pay tuition fees of 10 million naira for dem MBA at LSE.

Add accommodation and others, dem need 25 million naira. Maybe X 4 children. Then, 100 milla

Repair ko, requadruple ni
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

Not the answer, IMO.

After 10 years, same ol' story.

How dem go repair when dem children wan pay tuition fees of 10 million naira for dem MBA at LSE.

Add accommodation and others, dem need 25 million naira. Maybe X 4 children. Then, 100 milla

Repair ko, requadruple ni

Prof dey vex grin grin
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Ndipe(m): 10:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
Like is this news?
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by DoubleN(m): 11:00pm On Jun 14, 2011
This wan na news? Is this not Nigeria again?? Disgrace of a nation!
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by stunna2(m): 11:05pm On Jun 14, 2011
the worst airport or thieves-port on earth!!

1)when i was checking out of that place once, a lady i told i have no more local currency to give demanded i hand her my BTA as she put it i dey forbid dollars even if u dont have any more naira to give me??

2)a man said the last time he does not accept coins after i gave her the remaining 7 Euros i8 had on me!

3)a tout grabbed my biggest laugauge at the arrival lounge there once even though he looked like he had never let that land one,

4)the agents of the European Airlines i bought my ticket from tried to force me to pay hundreds of Dollars after people begging for money made me miss my flight, even though i payed extra for an open ticket and had my American destination reconfirm my ticket for the nest day, the agents told me, welcome to nigeria and we promise you u will be stranded here in nigeria for weeks if you dont pay up and we dont care if your american agents have reconfirmed u or not!! they only relented when i asked for their full names and employee numbers, and they fear for their jobs and changed their tunes after 24hrs of being stranded in the airport,
people who work for my airlines turned against me who was their customer??
my agent in american was shocked when told the story and felt so sorry for me and insisted i should have had no problem since i payed extra for an open ticket, but i was like this people think i was gonna just hand over my hard earned dollars to them or what - fools!!

so what im saying is that im not surprised at all at the above information about the airport's state of lack of care or repairs since i remember the info screens looked like they have been set on fire and someone said they have been that way for many years, !

no shame
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by delicious1(m): 11:16pm On Jun 14, 2011
Shame.

And how many other government facilities have been left in a rut for years ?
From bridges to stadiums to hospitals to universities, to national monuments, to heroes, to . . .you get the picture.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by achinu(m): 11:23pm On Jun 14, 2011
Unfortunately, this is not an exception in a country where there's no culture of maintenance. Build & let it manage itself, SMH, If we were to audit all the infrastructures in 9ja both government, commercial & personal the majority of them would be deemed unsafe & need to be condemned, sad sad sad
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by olaolabiy: 11:50pm On Jun 14, 2011
naijababe:

Prof dey vex  grin grin

No oooo, Naijababe.

I just dey buttress your point ni oo. grin grin

I no fit vex with ya, lai lai.

You no no how high I hold you sef.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Pharoh: 12:33am On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

I was going to ask you why, but you're gonna end up boring me with the same lame and backward rubbish.

There is no need to answer you even if you decide to ask sincerely again because your mind is already made up with your Lagos state versus them mentality. Just jumping to unnecessary conclusion that the reply will be boring and a form of backward rubbish before even hearing it.

Lagos state can go build their efficient airport since you are now ready to learn from this scenario.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by AjanleKoko: 2:09am On Jun 15, 2011
MMA *shakes head*

I hate having to go to that airport for any reason, leaves me in a bad mood for hours after. Nasty and dirty.
The only airport I have ever seen in the world, where immigration officials have to search your luggage before you can check them in. Also, you need two immigration officials to stamp you in and out. One checks the passport, and hands it to another dude for stamping. Even in India, a country of 1 billion plus people, that didn't happen.

The operations in MMA is a testament to incompetence in every sense of the word. And yet people pat themselves on their backs that airliners still manage to fly in and out. Typical Naija.

And they say toilets don't work?

Pharoh:

Lagos state can go build their efficient airport since you are now ready to learn from this scenario.

Fat chance. The one built by Bi Courtney is already looking decrepit in less than 5 years of operation.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by EkoIle1: 3:00am On Jun 15, 2011
Pharoh:

There is no need to answer you even if you decide to ask sincerely again because your mind is already made up with your Lagos state versus them mentality. Just jumping to unnecessary conclusion that the reply will be boring and a form of backward rubbish before even hearing it.

Thanks so much for the complients.

Btw, we are building that airport.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by manny4life(m): 3:24am On Jun 15, 2011
Talk about maintenance culture, I laugh in Swahili

Can you imagine how clean the water that runs through the water fountains people drink shocked shocked shocked shocked

Kinda scary scenario IMO, I wouldn't wanna drink water from a pipes that haven't been serviced in 30+ years.

Naija I hail you, we sure have a long was to go; if we cannot get it right 10, 20, 30 years ago, what makes us think we would get in 10, 20, 30 years into the future?
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Nobody: 3:27am On Jun 15, 2011
Which water pipes in Nigeria are in high maintenance? Same people gulping down dirty pure water and local mucus from water pipes are pretending sophistication on NL grin

Some of their areas dont even have water pipes.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by manny4life(m): 3:30am On Jun 15, 2011
^^^^

Sophistication like how? So if someone's sees something wrong they shouldn't condemn it right?
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Demdem(m): 8:56am On Jun 15, 2011
are u guys saying that i have to call the plumber or technician periodically to check the water system in my house who the heck does that in naija? or am i the only one that doesn't do it? i only need to call them when the damn thing breaks down. i have no money to waste, resources are scarce for now mennnnnnnnn.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by AjanleKoko: 9:03am On Jun 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Which water pipes in Nigeria are in high maintenance? Same people gulping down dirty pure water and local mucus from water pipes are pretending sophistication on NL grin

Some of their areas dont even have water pipes. 

That's a hasty generalization at best.
Most people don't use government water, but have their own boreholes and water systems servicing their houses. Government water is not widely available anyway.

I doubt if many people drink government water. Bottled water is probably the next biggest industry after food in the urban areas of Nigeria. There are all types of water dispensers available in the market, and many people use them.

And what do pipes have to do with 'pure water'? Pure water isn't from the government. In any case, I'm pretty sure pure water is much safer than government water. Most pure water manufacturers have the typical household setup, i.e. their own boreholes and production/filtration system.

Demdem:

are u guys saying that i have to call the plumber or technician periodically to check the water system in my house who the heck does that in naija? or am i the only one that doesn't do it? i only need to call them when the damn thing breaks down. i have no money to waste, resources are scarce for now mennnnnnnnn.

Pipes are not meant to be replaced every so often. Not unless you use lead piping, which is as old as my grandma. Most pipes nowadays are either PVC or galvanized steel, anywhere in the world. Imagine having to rip open all the walls in your house every so often.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Builder: 10:18am On Jun 15, 2011
33years!!!!by nigerian standard thats not bad, i was thinking like 60 years
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Vavavoom(m): 11:22am On Jun 15, 2011
[b]Nigeria really is a conundrum - government at the centre stealing the commonwealth for the elite and by the elite; citizens of the country driven by ethnicity than by nationalism. Both failing to see and take opportunity when it presents - waiting for the other to effect change.

The corrupt government is unwittingly waiting for her people to chase her out - calling the peoples bluff all the while having knowledge she can set them into discord by playing the ethnic card every other while. ''no be ya broda dem put there?'', ''abeg leave am joor, naim b d first persin to thief?'' , so the cyce continues and so too the conundrum.

On the issue at hand: the opportunity is to move away from a government managed infrastructure to one of public enterprise. Can't the maintenance sector of the airport be privatized and managed by a workforce outside the influence of the government? For me, 3-4 small section-enterprise maintenance companies can best look out for infrastructure failure and better implement management of change processes. Of course there will be the disadvantage of a higher cost overhead but the benefit includes a publicly supervised workforce whose welfare is catered for & therefore have no case to be lax about their duty.

I think some of us within Nairaland can set up such small enterprise companies. Let's walk the tak as citizens. Na d only way kontri go good
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by sayso: 11:45am On Jun 15, 2011
do they drink that shit.thought they flush the toilet with that shit of water.
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by Gbenge77(m): 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2011
Amazing!
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by mithel(m): 8:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
[b]i remember when i left nigeria for a brief holiday in moscow and i branched dubai on transit.when i was going my mum told me to take a good look at MMA before going and compare with others,i got to dubai and i was wowed,the domodedovo airport in russia(yeah the one that was bombed) was awesome too though it was still under expansion works,my host showed me the point where the explosion happened,damn u could hardly notice something happened(then i wondered,if it was 9ja,hmmm),on getting back,the MMA tarmac was my first indication that i don land for 9ja,the unkept bush,delapitating and collapsing planes on sides of the runway.i got to the baggage arrival zone,and out of the 2 carousels,one was faulty,the other was damn slow.after waiting for 30 mins,i needed to use the toilet,same story,five taps.only one had a semblance of being functional,and u had to hit d tap on d head b4 it worked.2 whites that were in the toilet were just laughing,i felt so embarrased,i was lyk "adoju tini ilu" in my mind.back to the carousel i ended up waiting for 1hr 30mins and all through i kept on hearing the britons behind me saying bloody h.ell n all dat.felt so ashamed of my nationality that day,but wat can we do? [/b]
Re: Lagos Airport: Water Main Not Serviced For 33 Years by chelseabmw(m): 12:15am On Jun 16, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Official Delegation To Olympics / Questions For El Rufai / A Nairalander Prophesied About Synagogue Church Disaster!. It's Shocking!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.