Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

What Is The Essence Of Atheism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Essence Of Atheism? (4844 Views)

My Prophecy About The End Of Atheism Still Very Much On Course 3 Months Later / Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism / I Think I Am Threading The Path Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 16, 2021
What's the essence of atheism?

Martinez39s,1Sharon,CAPSLOCKED, LordReed,adoyi8,kingsmaz,johnnydon22,helineus,MJBolt and every other atheist on Earth.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Myer(m): 7:26am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

Martinez39s,1Sharon,CAPSLOCKED, LordReed,adoyi8,kingsmaz,johnnydon22,helineus,MJBolt and every other atheist on Earth.

Atheism is a state of mind where you choose to deconstruct yourself from religious, family and societal expectations. You choose to find meaning to life and your existence.

Speaking from a Nigerian's perspective we are by birth and upbringing immersed either in Christianity, Islam or tradionalism. But most times as you grow more independent you start to question your belief system and its efficacy.

I believe every educated human being should pass through a phase of atheism before finally deciding whether to continue with atheism or discover the religion that they are comfortable with.

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by LordReed(m): 7:45am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

I don't think there is an "essence of atheism" because it is a similar question to what is the essence of not playing sports or what is the essence of not collecting stamps. The word atheism shouldn't even exist because we don't usually define things by their lack or absence. The lack of belief is not really a quality by itself but to me it does represent a clean slate, a tabula rasa from which one can now work things out free of religiously encumbered thoughts.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 7:45am On Dec 16, 2021
Myer:

Atheism is a state of mind where you choose to deconstruct yourself from religious, family and societal expectations. You choose to find meaning to life and your existence.

Speaking from a Nigerian's perspective we are by birth and upbringing immersed either Christianity,Islam or tradionalism. But most times as you grow more independent you start to question your belief system and its efficacy.

I believe every educated human being should pass through a phase of atheism before finally deciding whether to continue with atheism or discover the religion that they are comfortable with.

I disagree

Everyone is born an atheist

Faith happens by chance when certain messages enter your head

Faith also leaves by chance when those messages accidentally become unable to keep the faith in your head

Atheism doesn't help you to do anything except rejecting anything associated with faith in God (s)

But atheists can be stupid enough to believe in other things calling it education.........there are many baseless accusations against several people ensured by several atheists towards making it impossible for those people to be rightly addressed...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 16, 2021
LordReed:

I don't think there is an "essence of atheism" because it is a similar question to what is the essence of not playing sports or what is the essence of not collecting stamps. The word atheism shouldn't even exist because we don't usually define things by their lack or absence. The lack of belief is not really a quality by itself but to me it does represent a clean slate, a tabula rasa from which one can now work things out free of religiously encumbered thoughts.

You are one of the atheists I respect for trying as much as possible to be objective and correct in every case.

You deserve to be respected by every other atheist for also trying to be as sincere as possible towards the consideration of human rights as often as possible.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Martinez39s(m): 7:50am On Dec 16, 2021
What's the essence of lacking belief in the existence werewolves, unicorns and vampires?

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by TeeGentle(m): 7:53am On Dec 16, 2021
here to learn
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Myer(m): 8:01am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

I disagree

Faith also leaves by chance when those messages accidentally become unable to keep the faith in your head

Atheism doesn't help you to do anything except rejecting anything associated with faith in God (s)

But atheists can be stupid enough to believe in other things calling it education.........there are many baseless accusations against several people ensured by several atheists towards making it impossible for those people to be rightly addressed...

You lost me by when you said believing in edication is actually stupid.

I once held this perspective when I believed only what the bible teaches is true.
But we all know that some of the greatest discoveries and inventions we are all benefiting from including internet, airplanes, entertainment,sport,etc are products of irreligious minds.

And true everyone is born an atheist but you have no choice as long as you're under your parents. You simply have to abide by their rules including the religion you practise is whatever your parents practise.

5hat said, only an adult can decide what works for him and everyone should go through that phase. Otherwise you'll never know if you truly believe or you are simply afraid of your parents and societal judgments

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 16, 2021
Martinez39s:
What's the essence of lacking belief in the existence werewolves, unicorns and vampires?

In the absence of such,
other forms of sewage can still occur in your head

Even the forms of sewage that may not occur in the head of certain theists
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 16, 2021
Myer:

I once held this perspective when I believed only what the bible teaches is true.
But we all know that some of the greatest discoveries and inventions we are all benefiting from including internet, airplanes, entertainment,sport,etc are products of irreligious minds.

And true everyone is born an atheist but you have no choice as long as you're under your parents. You simply have to abide by their rules including the religion you practise is whatever your parents practise.

5hat said, only an adult can decide what works for him and everyone should go through that phase. Otherwise you'll never know if you truly believe or you are simply afraid of your parents and societal judgments

LordReed!

Please, don't accept this vomit!

I never said '' believing in education" or whatever that means is stupid!

I said some actually believe certain things that they wrongly consider as education!
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 16, 2021
Myer:

As for discoveries in Physics, Chemistry, Biology,Music, etc

both the religious and irreligious are there.

As for practising what your parents practise,
I understand.

Well, some still remain theists even after the death of their parents..... finding it impossible to choose otherwise ........so, even if they're being stupid for being theists, the stupidity can only leave by chance or what exactly?

Let's just say the faith can only leave by chance ....... even though they might say I choose not to believe anymore..

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by LordReed(m): 8:20am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

You are one of the atheists I respect for trying as much as possible to be objective and correct in every case.

You deserve to be respected by every other atheist for also trying to be as sincere as possible towards the consideration of human rights as often as possible.

Thanks for the compliment.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by TenQ: 9:51am On Dec 16, 2021
LordReed:

Deep thoughts you have there unfortunately also with a contradiction.

Yes, its true that:
"The lack of belief is not really a quality by itself"
Its also not bad to: start on a clean slate, a tabula rasa from which one can now work things out
The contradiction occurs when on this clean state religious thoughts by default is REJECTED/DISBELIEVED!

How can it be a clean state when the only thing written on the blank slate is, "REJECT the thought of the Creator?"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by TenQ: 9:57am On Dec 16, 2021
Martinez39s:
Escapism!
No one has seen them but we may need to look at effect of werewolves, unicorns and vampires. The lack of evidence of any evidence may indicate that there is nothing about them in the first place.

Unfortunately for the creator, creation itself is a major evidence EXCEPT we are willing to believe that the UNIVERSE created itself!
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 16, 2021
TenQ:

Yes, its true that:
Its also not bad to: start on a clean slate, a tabula rasa from which one can now work things out
The contradiction occurs when on this clean state religious thoughts by default is REJECTED/DISBELIEVED!

How can it be a clean state when the only thing written on the blank slate is, "REJECT the thought of the Creator?"

By default?

Nobody was born to die an atheist!!!

Nobody was born to die a theist!!!

LordReed, this guy is $#@#$#####

How do I put it??........Damn it!!!_.... another reason why life doesn't make sense or what exactly?

There's nothing amazing about the universe ....it neither needs to be created by itself nor something else nor someone to exist.......... I don't care how you see that statement !!!!

Damn it!

Whatever you call whatever led to it!!!

Damn it!!!

No word can change it!!!

Damn it!!!!
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by TenQ: 10:16am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

By default?

Nobody was born to die an atheist!!!

Nobody was born to die a theist!!!

LordReed, this guy is $#@#$#####

How do I put it??........Damn it!!!_.... another reason why life doesn't make sense or what exactly?

There's nothing amazing about the universe ....it neither needs to be created by itself nor something else nor someone to exist.......... I don't care how you see that statement !!!!

Damn it!

Whatever you call whatever led to it!!!

Damn it!!!

No word can change it!!!

Damn it!!!!
What's troubling you?
Why are you this angry?

I don't care about spiderman, superman or batman, yet nothing you say about them can make me angry!
I don't care about Santa Claus, but I am not obsessed with disproving it (don't forget that every december, these are pushed into my face)!!

What are you hiding from?

You can discuss like an adult without the anger tantrums!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:16am On Dec 16, 2021
Myer:

Speaking from a Nigerian's perspective we are by birth and upbringing immersed either Christianity,Islam or tradionalism. But most times as you grow more independent you start to question your belief system and its efficacy.

Atheism is not about questioning a belief system. Atheism is lack of belief in the system. That's two different things even though close.

Forget those untrained psychologist on NL claiming atheist upanddown. They aren't one. A confused mind looking for identification is their hallmark.

Atheism is not associated with questioning belief, it's the online paraders that have such misinformation.

The ancient world has atheist without science or questioning, it's a conviction. I have met atheist who are unlearned, neither been in school, so it's not about education.

Modern atheist indoctrinate their children in lack of belief in God, they form conviction through that. Isn't that same as what the religion you mentioned do and exactly what the modern atheist claim to stand against.

It's a fallacy to claim atheist is birth from questioning things. It's inherent in man to question things and all men do that.

Questioning a belief system is what everyone who want to know will do, but this is not same as lack of belief in the system.

An atheist, whether with question or not, doesn't belief in a god.

Longtime Bro,

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:26am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

I disagree

Man isn't born an atheist. Man is born to search out his environment.

Man isn't born with a belief system or lack of it, he is born to find out.

Same way a baby wasn't born to fear, and fear wasn't taught in the school of the cradles. Yet man grow up to know fear, instincts in discovering his environment.

In this, man's heart will either seek, find and know God or will keep struggling with the thoughts of the same.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 16, 2021
TenQ:

What's troubling you?
Why are you this angry?

I don't care about spiderman, superman or batman, yet nothing you say about them can make me angry!
I don't care about Santa Claus, but I am not obsessed with disproving it (don't forget that every december, these are pushed into my face)!!

What are you hiding from?

You can discuss like an adult without the anger tantrums!!

Who told you I am obsessed with disproving anything

Even if I am displeased , what can you do except bringing up useless allegations and accusations against me?

Calling me names and threatening me like certain bastards have done on Nairaland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stopping people from helping me towards my progress without remorse, furrrk the day I was born amidst such bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really care if you're a theist....... but I will be mad if you see it as a reason to frustrate me ........ did you know some of the bastards I wish to be robbed as often as possible are atheists??

Let us see if Hell will not be let loose if I ever get the tools required for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by LordReed(m): 10:29am On Dec 16, 2021
TenQ:

Yes, its true that:

You strawmanned my words into a different argument. I didn't write "REJECT the thought of the Creator" I wrote "free of religiously encumbered thoughts". There is a world of difference between the 2. In your misrepresentation you imply that I am saying the atheist should reject out of hand any notion of a god or creator which is not what I am saying at all. The implications of my words are that the atheist now has their work cut out for them as they now have an opportunity to evaluate everything without depending on any religious contrivance or limitations. I hope this short explanation helps you you understand a bit of my perspective, feel free to ask further questions.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:32am On Dec 16, 2021
Myer:

Man wasnt born an atheist. Religion is not a formation from family creed. You are mixing knowing God existence with secular religion.

The first "religious" man wouldn't have been taught by his parents about God, yet his heart found him.

Parents are only custodian and angels their wards see. They are to guide them in the path of life. Whether theist or atheist, we all have this same responsibilities. Atheist do "indoctrinate" their wards too. Hence never used parental upbringing as the essence of the spread of God's knowledge.

Man's heart is design to search and in that search, he will either find God or struggle with the thoughts of the same
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 16, 2021
hupernikao:

Man isn't born an atheist. Man is born to search out his environment.

Man isn't born with a belief system or lack of it, he is born to find out.

Same way a baby wasn't born to fear, and fear wasn't taught in the school of the cradles. Yet man grow up to know fear, instincts in discovering his environment.

In this, man's heart will either seek, find and know God or will keep struggling with the thoughts of the same.

Man isn't born to do any specific thing.

Man is born to do anything possible for as long as he exists.

People seek several things.

Babies were not born to fear but they fear anything that scares them from day one!!!!!!

How can someone neither have nor lack something such as a belief..... you don't have to add 'system'??

If you mean 'opposing' when you say 'struggling with' the thoughts,then ................ what do you expect from someone that considers XYZ as impossible to find

If I think it's impossible for XYZ to exists/be found,why wouldn't I oppose the thought/concept of XYZ?
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:38am On Dec 16, 2021
LordReed:

You strawmanned my words into a different argument. I didn't write "REJECT the thought of the Creator" I wrote "free of religiously encumbered thoughts". There is a world of difference between the 2. In your misrepresentation you imply that I am saying the atheist should reject out of hand any notion of a god or creator which is not what I am saying at all. The implications of my words are that the atheist now has their work cut out for them as they now have an opportunity to evaluate everything without depending on any religious contrivance or limitations. I hope this short explanation helps you you understand a bit of my perspective, feel free to ask further questions.

Knowing God is not same as secular religion. You must always make this distinction. Religion can be the platform on which such conviction is spread. But knowing God isn't the same.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:42am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

Man isn't born to do any specific thing.

Man is born to do anything possible for as long as he exists.

People seek several things.

Babies were not born to fear but they fear anything that scares them from day one!!!!!!

How can someone neither have nor lack something such as a belief..... you don't have to add 'system'??

If you mean 'opposing' when you say 'struggling with' the thoughts,then ................ what do you expect from someone that considers XYZ as impossible to find

If I think it's impossible for XYZ to exists/be found,why wouldn't I oppose the thought/concept of XYZ?

Your need to make your stand clear.

Firstly man isn't born as atheist as you proposed earlier.

Secondly, man born to do anything possible is same as searching his environment.

And I hope that fear found in baby wasn't taught but inherent. Same as man's ability to search his environment.

And lastly I affirm again. That man's heart will either find God or struggle with the thought of the same.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 16, 2021
hupernikao:

Knowing God is not same as secular religion. You must always make this distinction. Religion can be the platform on which such conviction is spread. But knowing God isn't the same.

For a person that considers knowing God to be impossible , nothing will help matters here
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Bluewitch(f): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

What's the essence of Christianity

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by TenQ: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2021
LordReed:

You strawmanned my words into a different argument. I didn't write "REJECT the thought of the Creator" I wrote eist sho"free of religiously encumbered thoughts". There is a world of difference between the 2. In your misrepresentation you imply that I am saying the athuld reject out of hand any notion of a god or creator which is not what I am saying at all. The implications of my words are that the atheist now has their work cut out for them as they now have an opportunity to evaluate everything without depending on any religious contrivance or limitations. I hope this short explanation helps you you understand a bit of my perspective, feel free to ask further questions.
Is there a religion that doesn't have a God/god/karma as the center of it?
Is it possible to reject be "free of religiously encumbered thoughts" without also being free from the God/god/karma behind it?

Let me rephrase:
Yes, its true that: "The lack of belief is not really a quality by itself"

How can it be a clean state when the only thing written on the blank slate is, be "free of religiously encumbered thoughts"?

Don't you think it means simply that any other thing except religiously encumbered thoughts are to be entertained in this new "blank slate"?
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Bluewitch(f): 10:47am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

I disagree

Ultra HD display of stupidity by you....was thinking you had sense....
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by hupernikao: 10:47am On Dec 16, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

For a person that considers knowing God to be impossible , nothing will help matters here

Well, in his forever search of life, he will always come across the thoughts of the Supreme. It's left to him, whether it matters or not.

Somethings are more inherent than science or religion or irreligion.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 16, 2021
hupernikao:

Your need to make your stand clear.

Firstly man isn't born as atheist as you proposed earlier.

Secondly, man born to do anything possible is same as searching his environment.

And I hope that fear found in baby wasn't taught but inherent. Same as man's ability to search his environment.

And lastly I affirm again. That man's heart will either find God or struggle with the thought of the same.

My stand is nothing shows how God can exist but I don't think my stand will change the fact that life doesn't make sense to me

I was born as an atheist..... you can't change that .... faith occurred later then disappeared.

You are not really meant to tell me what I mean by saying it's the same as this or that.......

Struggling with XYZ has been addressed.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by descarado: 10:52am On Dec 16, 2021
A god is as powerful as we humans make it to be.
Gods can't function without humans. In other words, the existence of any god lies exclusively on humans.

The way Allah meant nothing to a Christian is the way Christian God meant nothing to a Muslim.
Hope we can digest this

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Essence Of Atheism? by LordReed(m): 10:53am On Dec 16, 2021
TenQ:

Is there a religion that doesn't have a God/god/karma as the center of it?
Is it possible to reject be "free of religiously encumbered thoughts" without also being free from the God/god/karma behind it?

Let me rephrase:
Yes, its true that: "The lack of belief is not really a quality by itself"

How can it be a clean state when the only thing written on the blank slate is, be "free of religiously encumbered thoughts"?

Don't you think it means simply that any other thing except religiously encumbered thoughts are to be entertained in this new "blank slate"?

No it means do not allow religion be the dictator or limiter of your thoughts. You are free to consider any god concept. A lack of belief doesn't limit you from considering the god concept. By definition the clean slate doesn't have "free of religiously encumbered thoughts" written on it so once again you are twisting my words. "Free of religiously encumbered thoughts" means your clean slate has no preconceived notions dictated by religious ideas, you are free to consider a god or anything, free of encumbrance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What If The Devil Repents Today? / All Yorubas Who Want To Contact A Babalawo Owolabi ! / Last Sunday Of The Month Prayers(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.