Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? (5567 Views)

At What Age Did You Finish University? / What Age Is The Best To Send My Child To Secondary School / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Drakkernoir: 8:35am On Dec 18, 2021
So,me and my wife were having a slight argument this morning about the age a toddler should start schooling,

I was of the opinion that she should allow the child become at least 2 yrs old, she is of the opinion that now is better. She is 1yr 6months now.

Don't you think we rush kids too much in this part of the world?

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by ojun50(m): 8:38am On Dec 18, 2021
Na lagos state dey rush kid like that.

If she don dey waker make she start

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by dawnomike(m): 8:52am On Dec 18, 2021
Drakkernoir:
So,me and my wife were having a slight argument this morning about the age a toddler should start schooling,

I was of the opinion that she should allow the child become at least 2 yrs old, she is of the opinion that now is better. She is 1yr 6months now.

Either 1yr6months or 2yrs.... What's the difference?
It's not worth arguing about except you are considering the expenses for now.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Tinububalls: 8:53am On Dec 18, 2021
7 years. The year of accountability.

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by ChiefSosa(m): 8:57am On Dec 18, 2021
Before, it use to be when the child could touch his/her ear with one hand above the head lol.
Anyway, around 2 or 3 years should be for preschool, but it depends on the child. Some kids start early due to developing the mental and social skills, while some kids start later. Most kids are generally ready to learn around age 3, but primary school should start around age 5.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Drakkernoir: 8:58am On Dec 18, 2021
dawnomike:
Either 1yr6months or 2yrs.... What's the difference?
It's not worth arguing about except you are considering the expenses for now.

Its not about the expense, i am just of the opinion that a child should be able to express themselves a little before they start...given what is happening in schools nowadays..my preffered age is actually 3, in the western world...it is 4/5.

I am just saying 2 sef, to let peace reign.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Kucoin: 9:20am On Dec 18, 2021
Tinububalls:
7 years. The year of accountability.

Accountability in the name of saving cost grin
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Hintona(f): 9:35am On Dec 18, 2021
I started preschool at 3 because my parents loved me too much and didn't want to let me go.

So, it depends on how much you'll miss the child and how much you love the child cheesy

I hope I have answered your question.

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Tokskob2008: 9:57am On Dec 18, 2021
2yrs, 2 and half years is pretty ok for a kid to start even then the parents would have to monitor the kid very well cos the way some teachers handle their pupils is very bad.

I wonder why parents of nowadays are always quick to dispose their kids, like they don't want them around or something.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by NL1960: 12:34pm On Dec 18, 2021
Drakkernoir:

Its not about the expense, i am just of the opinion that a child should be able to express themselves a little before they start...given what is happening in schools nowadays..my preffered age is actually 3, in the western world...it is 4/5.

I am just saying 2 sef, to let peace reign.

Age 3 is fine. I always advocate for targeting Nursery 1 at age 3. Primary 1 at age 5. Primary 5 at age 10. At age 10 and Primary 5, the child can take entrance into secondary school or the parent can allow the child to do Primary 6 and then enter secondary at age 11.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2021
I know of a kid who is 7 years primary 5, the child can't even lace his shoe. A little scream, he is already crying, she has been advised the kid stays back but the mother says no. I know from 5 he will be going to JSS 1. I don't know where parents want their kids to finish so early. These kids end up being taken advantage of because most of them aren't mature yet.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by emmy4real94(m): 3:32pm On Dec 18, 2021
1year... They told me I started below that..

Give me the Hallaa!!
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by house10s: 4:10pm On Dec 18, 2021
Drakkernoir:

nothing spoil, make she pay d fees

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by JerryQ: 5:08pm On Dec 18, 2021
Okay
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by 1F30M4(f): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2021
2yrs is okay. Some schools don't even admit pupils less than 2yrs of age. At that age, they expect the preschoolers to be able to express themselves to some extent, don't want any child giving their teachers headache lol.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by juniorstar(m): 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2021
Drakkernoir:

These days parents want their children to be graduates by 19yrs.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by ITbomb(m): 12:51am On Dec 19, 2021
What leads to early school is mostly to free the mum to go to work. So if you are not pressured from work, the proper age is 3.

In my opinion, a child should be able to express himself before starting school, in that way, whatever happens at school is reported

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Glamouzpeter(f): 10:25am On Dec 19, 2021
Drakkernoir:

I was born in April, I started school before 2years base on what happened between my parents, am doing well and am currently in my 300level which I'll be finishing next year at 22
It's not bad starting school early, so give it a try and u won't regret
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by NL1960: 11:15am On Dec 19, 2021
Glamouzpeter:

I was born in April, I started school before 2years base on what happened between my parents, am doing well and am currently in my 300level which I'll be finishing next year at 22
It's not bad starting school early, so give it a try and u won't regret

If you started school before 2years and will be graduating at 22, if it is a 4 year course, it means there was a gap somewhere or was it ASUU?.
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Glamouzpeter(f): 7:37pm On Dec 19, 2021
NL1960:

If you started school before 2years and will be graduating at 22, if it is a 4 year course, it means there was a gap somewhere or was it ASUU?.
ASUU my dear
Re: What Age Is Suitable For A Child To Start School? by Melonsmasher: 5:03am On Dec 30, 2023
Good post, great points

(1) (Reply)

Particulars A Lawyer Need To Get Accredited With Cac / EFCC Set To Arraign FUTA VC, Bursar In Court Over Misappropriation Of Funds / Uniben Vs Delsu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.