Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,112 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons (32151 Views)

Electoral Amendment Bill Passes Second Reading In The House Of Reps (Proposal) / Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To Electoral Violence And Disruptions In Lagos, Shares Video / Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by GreyLaw(m): 9:09am On Dec 21, 2021
Feelings79:
I can now understand military takeovers resurging all over West Africa.Our so called democratic leaders tend to become so so autocratic after winning second elections.Just imagine how PMB has become so insesitive to the feelings and mood of Nigerians? the worst thing about this all is that the man has effectively pocketed the national assembly to the extent they are less than a rubber stamp with the speaker and SP reduced to errand boys in the aso rock kitchen

He didn't just become insensitive. He always was. Right from the start.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by henrycantona(m): 9:15am On Dec 21, 2021
Even though I dint condescend to this brouhaha the president is right that smaller parties will be marginalized there is already a law that for one to be able to contest for president must have billions of naira, automatically making it impossible for those who have the interest of the country but don't have billions of naira to be able to contest while making it possible for those corrupt politicians who have already stolen from country to be the only ones contesting.
The national assembly must have to revert that law if they are really interested in the direct primaries
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by GreyLaw(m): 9:16am On Dec 21, 2021
Tzar:
I am not suprised.
Buhari will realize how badly he has damaged his initial lie of a reputation after he leaves office on or before May 29 2023. He has chosen to notoriously be on the wrong side of glorious history!

Please, if I may sincerely ask, do you seriously think Buhari doesn't know about his damaged reputation? I would be surprised if only gets to find out after he leaves office.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by GreyLaw(m): 9:21am On Dec 21, 2021
drealcivilceno:

Abi Gov. Wike is afraid.

Direct primaries and Electronic transmission will go in tandem with each other, so why will the want to shoot themselves in the foot.

If anybody supports that system, the person is from HELLFIRE

Please explain how direct primaries and Electronic Transmission go together.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by drealcivilceno(m): 9:35am On Dec 21, 2021
LibertyRep:
Direct or indirect primary should be the prerogative of the parties.

Those who smuggled direct primary into the electoral bill did so to generate unnecessary bottleneck and scuttle the entire process.

They all knew the plot from the beginning, it was a well scripted movie.

If the NASS meant well, they should quickly reconvene , expunge the direct primary section and represent to the president.

Everyone knows they dare not override the president.

What is wrong with direct primaries, huh?

Must someone bring up a notion and all of you will just gobble the thing up and follow them.

You all should even shout at all of them for misbehaving....

They choose the way we choose them in a democratic era, is there not a problem with that picture?
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 21, 2021
LibertyRep:
Direct or indirect primary should be the prerogative of the parties.

Those who smuggled direct primary into the electoral bill did so to generate unnecessary bottleneck and scuttle the entire process.

They all knew the plot from the beginning, it was a well scripted movie.

If the NASS meant well, they should quickly reconvene , expunge the direct primary section and represent to the president.

Everyone knows they dare not override the president.

According to NASS law, they can't seat on the same bill twice in a legislative year. It means they can only represent this bill by June which is the beginning of a new year.
The only option is to over ride the veto by having 2/3 members of both houses pass the bill into law.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by drealcivilceno(m): 10:08am On Dec 21, 2021
GreyLaw:

Please explain how direct primaries and Electronic Transmission go together.

Direct means people like you and I can take part in a party's candidate election!

Electronic transmission will hasten the process no more papers!

You see, in the big scheme of all this, there is always a backyard process and they will still choose themselves, but if you the masses don't participate, their nonsense will seep into the running of the day to day activities and in your government and they will still come out to say you all don't want to participate!

If you have watched power, the end part ,you will understand!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Solutionmaster1: 10:26am On Dec 21, 2021
tujays:
tell me more... write down your whatsapp I'll add you.
Check my profile my number is there or look below the comment you will see my number there
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by stepaside2: 10:27am On Dec 21, 2021
Shikini:
I now believe Gov Wike.

In his interview with Channels, Wike said Buhari is not comfortable with Electronic Transmission of results so some APC juggernauts deliberately smuggled in direct primaries for political parties to provide Buhari a reason to reject the entire electoral amendment Bill.

Brethrens, the main reason for rejecting the bill is "Electronic Transmission of results" and not the so-called direct primaries.

President Buhari is a scam. Remember, his lackey, the Senate President had earlier rejected Electronic Transmission of results but only succumbed after widespread condemnation.

Gov Wike may be right but he forgets that majority of NASS members (PDP members inclusive) supported the direct primaries inclusion primarily for political survival and a fight against the Govs' stranglehold on party structures at state level. Also, most governors (PDP Govs inclusive) also fought direct primaries. It is convenient to blame it on APC now but it is pure politics of survival by politicians as usual
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Abujason: 10:29am On Dec 21, 2021
Don’t blame the dumbo. Remember e no finish secondary school and therefore can’t read. Once Malamumu and Liar Mohammed tells him to sign, he signs - no questions and no comprehension.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by samwillyco1(m): 10:35am On Dec 21, 2021
Am not surprised at all
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Augustinecedar: 10:39am On Dec 21, 2021
excellence44:

According to NASS law, they can't seat on the same bill twice in a legislative year. It means they can only represent this bill by June which is the beginning of a new year.
The only option is to over ride the veto by having 2/3 members of both houses pass the bill into law.

Even the opposition are against that direct primary as many of the so called lawmakers won't find their way back. Have you wondered why sinator aberibe haven't said anything yet?
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Misterone: 11:54am On Dec 21, 2021
Xscape1993:
May crisis never cease from APC. APC and crisis will continue to be friends. I never believed the evil party proganda for one minute.
talking stupid and rubbish. Attack the message. If it does not make sense say it, not this rubbish.
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by paddyDIGITAL(m): 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2021
Augustinecedar:

Oga, even members of opposition parties including PDP kicked against it. So let APC jare
Sekibo is leading a pack of opposition lawmakers who are mulling on overriding the president.
https://www.nairaland.com/6905091/electoral-bill-senate-closed-session
Re: Buhari Withholds Assent To Electoral Amendment Bill, Gives Reasons by Augustinecedar: 7:10pm On Dec 21, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Afenifere To Sunday Igboho: You Lack Power To Issue Quit Ultimatum / Ademola Adeleke Sworn-in As 6th Elected Osun Governor / UK Police Grant Nigerians Permit To Protest Overnight In Front Of Abuja House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.