Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving (1013 Views)

What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SegaWarrior: 11:57pm On Dec 20, 2021
I will not say am a new driver because I have been driving for a year and half now. I bought my first Car Peugeot 206 Manual late last year (around September). I learnt how to drive to the extent I will call my self a professional. I can drive anywhere within Abuja upto Gwagwalada and beyond no hassle.

My only issue now is how to become a professional long distant Driver. On my first long distant Trip, I hired a driver from Abuja to Bauchi, upon return the driver said he couldn't drive me back on the agreed date we planned that he has one or two things to do, that I had to wait for another two days. meanwhile, i had schedule to attend the following day..my instinct said i should try to drive my self back while another instinct said I should wait for the driver.

Eventually I decided to try to drive my way back to Abuja.

Though I drove back to Abuja successful ly, my naivety couple with my inexperience made me fell into a pot hole that I had to do some major repairs when I got back. Though I learnt from the experience.

Now I'm planning to embark on a Trip to Kano with my brother this Holiday but am a little bit worried and scared.

How do I overcome this fear and become a better doing Long distant Trip driver from professionals in the House.

Thank you. God bless.
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by shawante(m): 12:32am On Dec 21, 2021
It is from making mistakes that we learn.. So you just have to embark on that journey and you will see yourself becoming more proficient in long distance journey

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SpyAC(m): 2:11am On Dec 21, 2021
If you don't make mistake, how do you learn. Pls drive with your brother gently, you will get used to it okay?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by Aaaaarghmed(m): 6:10am On Dec 21, 2021
As far as you know the route,try to leave home a little bit early like 8am.Focus and dont overspeed.you can chew a gum to make you sharp.na small small we dey learn

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by Dailyparrot: 7:18am On Dec 21, 2021
Same thing happened to me when I got my car in March, 2019. I drove the car in Lagos till December when I wanted to travel.

Initially, I wanted to take the bull by the horn but my siblings were scared and talked me into hiring a driver that charged me an arm just to drive me from Lagos to Imo state.

Since he didn't mean to stay for the Christmas period, I had to pay for his transport back to Lagos.

When it was time to return to Lagos, I told myself I ain't gonna waste that kind of money again.

I told my siblings that traveled with me that it's either they have faith and believe that we'll get to Lagos in peace or they should board public transport to Lagos because I am not hiring anybody but driving the car myself to Lagos.

Well, they joined me and we got to Lagos in peace. December 2020, I drove myself home and back again. Now, it is no longer news.

So, just start and you will get use to it.

13 Likes

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SegaWarrior: 9:50am On Dec 21, 2021
Dailyparrot:
Same thing happened to me when I got my car in March, 2019. I drove the car in Lagos till December when I wanted to travel.

Initially, I wanted to take the bull by the horn but my siblings were scared and talked me into hiring a driver that charged me an arm just to drive me from Lagos to Imo state.

Since he didn't mean to stay for the Christmas period, I had to pay for his transport back to Lagos.

When it was time to return to Lagos, I told myself I ain't gonna waste that kind of money again.

I told my siblings that traveled with me that it's either they have faith and believe that we'll get to Lagos in peace or they should board public transport to Lagos because I am not hiring anybody but driving the car myself to Lagos.

Well, they joined me and we got to Lagos in peace. December 2020, I drove myself home and back again. Now, it is no longer news.

So, just start and you will get use to it.
Thank you all. But you were very tired during the first Trip I guests?
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by Dailyparrot: 10:45am On Dec 21, 2021
SegaWarrior:
Thank you all. But you were very tired during the first Trip I guests?

Not at all. I do long hours driving already in Lagos and I don't sleep when traveling even if I am not the one driving.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SegaWarrior: 12:54pm On Dec 21, 2021
ping2ping please give me one or two advice here...
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by skywalker240(m): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2021
Trying to start a aquianted to manual transmission driving
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SegaWarrior: 10:41pm On Dec 21, 2021
skywalker240:
Trying to start a aquianted to manual transmission driving
I learnt driving in Manual.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by skywalker240(m): 11:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
SegaWarrior:
I learnt driving in Manual.
Best option you took
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by Elsueno: 11:18am On Dec 22, 2021
To be honest, as long as u can drive comfortable inside town, inter state and long distance will be a breeze to you. Those 200-300km distance are fun...I used to do almost 1000km in the past, like Gombe to Bayelsa, ekiti etc . Nowadays I too dey fear insecurity grin
Re: How Do I Become Acquainted To Long Distance Driving by SegaWarrior: 2:02pm On Dec 23, 2021
Thank you all. I will try it out Godwilling..

(1) (Reply)

Legendary Car Upholstery / I Am In Need Of Serious Help / Infinity Vs Ml Which One Is More Better And Easy To Maintian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.