Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) (3008 Views)

BEST GPS CAR SECURITY+ INSTALLATION / Smoothtracker- Best GPS Tracking Solution In Lagos Nigeria / Don't Miss The Best Car Drift Show In Nigeria - 2017 Revs & Runway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) by majorbravo: 7:20am On Nov 28, 2017
Hello Car gurus,

So I've recently been searching for some information on Phone/Tablet apps for GPS & Map navigation specifically for Nigerian roads. Although I saw an old thread here, it's been about 2 years since anyone commented on it. I felt an update is necessary as the various GPS/Maps application developers would constantly have upgraded their apps.

I focused on the top three apps from that thread and personally I have made the following recent observations about them.

GOOGLE MAPS
I was particularly intrigued to find Lagos now has street view in 2017 for Google Maps. However, I don't know how reliable the maps itself is as regards navigation, because it was really bad and I got lost using it in 2015, I noticed it did improve in 2016, but it still had errors within Lagos and that was the last time I used it in Nigeria. I also heard you could download offline maps on it now, how well does this work?

SYGIC
Although I haven't used this app, I saw some good reviews about this app on the previous thread from 3 years ago, the focus seems to have been placed on the fact that the maps are downloadable for offline use and they come in a comprehensive format. However the app does cost money for some of the really cool features. For those who have used it, what do you think? Are they doing better now or have they fallen below the standards?

NOKIA HERE
I saw good reviews of this map as well, however Nokia/symbian phones aren't very popular these days and this makes me think the review for this app on that thread might as well be outdated. Need someone who still uses it to tell us the current state of the app.

Does anyone use any of these apps for navigating in Lagos and across the country? or know a better one? How does it hold up in poor service areas while travelling? I need a really good app for a road trip i'm planning with some friends who ain't familiar with the country terrain. I would hate for them to run into a broken bridge or something.
Re: What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) by RandyX: 8:14am On Nov 28, 2017
I use my medulla oblongata! Lol

iT's called WalkNAV....
Re: What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 28, 2017
Sygic still rocks, I use it all the time. Lagos, Abuja and the major cities are fully loaded, u might be disappointed though when u travel to cities that are not very popular..U will find major roads but many streets in remote areas are not available.

I use Google maps once in a while, also does a great job but I prefer the UI in Sygic.

2 Likes

Re: What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) by majorbravo: 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2017
greenhulk:
Sygic still rocks, I use it all the time. Lagos, Abuja and the major cities are fully loaded, u might be disappointed though when u travel to cities that are not very popular..U will find major roads but many streets in remote areas are not available.

I use Google maps once in a while, also does a great job but I prefer the UI in Sygic.

Interesing to see the app is still holding up, saw some not so good reviews on the latest version on google play store, though they promised to fix the issues raised. There is also a Car Mode version (for samsung/android), with a better user interface than the generic sygic. However I was informed by their staff that purchasing the premium band of the Sygic 'navigation and maps' app doesn't extend its license to the Car Mode version, which means if i want to get the car version premium, i would have to buy a separate premium band just for it and it's quite expensive to buy the World Premium of the car version though the entire UI seems very pleasing to the eye indeed.
Re: What is the Best GPS/MAPS app for Long distance Travel in Nigeria? (2017) by majorbravo: 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2017
RandyX:
I use my medulla oblongata! Lol

iT's called WalkNAV....

You'll get there eventually, keep working hard.

(1) (Reply)

I Made A Big Mistake Please Advise / Please, Urgent Help Needed, Catalyst And Sensor Problems / Help!!my Mazda Tribute Is Sick And Needs Helps ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.