Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,392 members, 7,819,404 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim (22433 Views)

EU Slaps sanctions On Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich / Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich Relinquishes Stewardship Of Club / Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich emigrates to Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by MangekyoAlt: 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich has won an apology from a publisher over defamatory allegations.

HarperCollins published a book which included the claim that Mr Abramovich bought London football club Chelsea on the orders of Russia's President Vladimir Putin.

On Wednesday the company apologised to Mr Abramovich and confirmed it had reached a settlement.

It has amended the book and will make a charitable donation in lieu of damages.

UK journalist Catherine Belton's book Putin's People, published by HarperCollins last year, included an allegation by another Russian billionaire, Sergei Pugachev, that Mr Abramovich had bought the club in 2003 on the orders of Mr Putin.

In a statement, the publisher said Ms Belton's book "contained some inaccurate information" about Mr Abramovich.

"While the book always included a denial that Mr Abramovich was acting under anybody's direction when he purchased Chelsea, the new edition will include a more detailed explanation of Mr Abramovich's motivations for buying the club," it read.

A spokesman for Mr Abramovich said they were "pleased" at the settlement, and said the allegations "lacked evidence and were indeed false".

"In contrast to events relayed in the book, Mr Abramovich's ambition with Chelsea Football Club has always been clear and transparent: to create world-class teams on the pitch and to ensure the club plays a positive role in all of its communities."

Since his takeover of the club, Chelsea have won the Premier League and the FA Cup five times each, as well as twice winning the UEFA Champions League, most recently last year when the team beat Manchester City.

BBC

1 Like

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by kenzysmith: 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
Wetin dey that russia wey d whole world dey 4 them? Shey they are europe most powerful nation ni what about uk na

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by MangekyoAlt: 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
First, they declined to renew his visa for some dumb reasons. And now these paid journalists were falsely publishing reports of him being a putin spy without any proper proof to back their stupid selves up. The racism against Russians in the UK is even worse than against blacks. I'm a chelsea fan but if I was Abramovich, I would have sold off the useless club a long time ago. I hate nonsense

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Randal: 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2021
Great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by VOsimhen144(m): 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
All we do is win win win no matter what.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Starboytwo(m): 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
Chelsea are a winning team. From 2003 that this Roman bought them, they have won the EPL 5 times, fa cup 5 times and UCL 2 times.

I don’t think any English club have done better since 2003 till date.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Winningbot: 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
grin
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Ezedon(m): 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
That's nice

Like for Chelsea

42 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by MVLOX(m): 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
Eheh
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by wunmi590(m): 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2021

Ok, that's commendable....

Go and sin no more

1 Like

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by PrinceOfLagos: 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2021
Baba olowo himself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by XaintJoel20: 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2021
That's a civilized society

Not Nigeria where Linda Ikeji, Instablog, and other wannabe bloggers can slander you and write all manners of nonsense about you without penalty.
Let them try it in Europe and America.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by posty56: 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
First, they declined to renew his visa for some dumb reasons. And now these paid journalists were falsely publishing reports of him being a putin spy without any proper proof to back their stupid selves up. The racism against Russians in the UK is even worse than against blacks. I'm a chelsea fan but if I was Abramovich, I would have sold off the useless club a long time ago. I hate nonsense
seriously I don't know why they hate this man., but na your mama wey dey useless grin no be Chelsea.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by noble2faith(m): 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2021
If you are a blue blooded Chelsea fan and you are happy about this, hit like.

53 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Bleiz(m): 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2021
Very good.

In saner climes, publishers take responsibility for errors. Here in Nigeria,......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by younglleo: 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2021
The journalist get naija ancestry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2021
HarperCollins published a book which included the claim that Mr Abramovich bought London football club Chelsea on the orders of Russia's President Vladimir Putin.

On Wednesday the company apologised to Mr Abramovich and confirmed it had reached a settlement.

It has amended the book and will make a charitable donation in lieu of damages.
Baba Olowo...... always on point.
CHELSEA FOR LIFE.
CHELSEA TILL JESUS COMES.

Rumors are spread by fools and accepted by idiots.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Newyorkitis(m): 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2021
This is nice
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Emperor550(m): 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
[/size][size=8pt] that's was their plan, they want him to sell the club, thank God the man get strong head

6 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by nerodapi: 7:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
Who is roman Abrahimovic?

Never heard of her
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by dalongjnr: 7:43pm On Dec 22, 2021
Acevo:
Abrahamovic money is not clean
Go and wash it.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by dalongjnr: 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2021
Prejudices!
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:45pm On Dec 22, 2021
Abrahmovic, the only billionaire I envy.

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by brain54(m): 7:45pm On Dec 22, 2021
Putin dosent look like one interested in football...

Putin na war...war...war. and strategy and defense systems!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Ttjj: 7:48pm On Dec 22, 2021
Oh
Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by psychologist(m): 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2021
Anything they said against Chelsea is true

Agbero Fc grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by Ghostmode2two(m): 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2021
Starboytwo:
Chelsea are a winning team. From 2003 that this Roman bought them, they have won the EPL 5 times, fa cup 5 times and UCL 2 times.

I don’t think any English club have done better since 2003 till date.

You forgot to mention 2 Europa League Cups and 1 Super Cup

13 Likes

Re: Chelsea FC Owner Roman Abramovich Wins Apology Over Putin Claim by allahIsAnIDOL: 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2021
dalongjnr:

Go and wash it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Mali: WAFU Women's Cup (2 - 0) Full Time / Calabar Stadium…eagles’ Slaughter Slab / Nigeria loses football finals at Africa Games, claims silver in Rabat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.