Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply (6064 Views)

Peter Obi Backs Tinubu Government On Electricity Tariff Hike / Governor Zulum Donates 259 Houses To Police Officers (Pictures) / Tinubu: I Never Said I Spent N35 Billion On Buhari’s Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 23, 2021
Maobichek:

Not as easy as you think, do you know the cost of having a solar in your house. I bought 2 batteries, 120k per one and over 400k was involved in the whole thing. Not everyone can afford that. Power supply is relatively good in most parts of CBD Abj, if what we have here is the same with all parts of Nigeria, no one will complain okay.
Thanks for this information.

I agree with you about light been good in some locations while Is terrible in some locations.

Can solar power Air Conditioning? If yes, nah how much person go need?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Maobichek: 6:24am On Dec 23, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

I agree with you about light been good in some locations while Is terrible in some locations.

To your question, yes, most banks in Maiduguri uses solar and most rich men in Maiduguri have solar in their houses. It is outrageous because a room can be built and dedicated just for solar, i saw a man who has over 30 batteries, he said that he spent 5m, he uses everything including AC. It's costly, poor ppl, average Nigerians will find it difficult to install solar in their houses. Mine is just for TV, fan, bulbs etc, no AC, no fridges.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 6:27am On Dec 23, 2021
Maobichek:

To your question, yes, most banks in Maiduguri uses solar and most rich men in Maiduguri have solar in their houses. It is outrageous because a room can be built and dedicated just for solar, i saw a man who has over 30 batteries, he said that he spent 5m, he uses everything including AC. It's costly, poor ppl, average Nigerians will find it difficult to install solar in their houses. Mine is just for TV, fan, bulbs etc, no AC, no fridges.
Thanks for the information.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by luluosas(m): 6:40am On Dec 23, 2021
Prepaid meter is the way to stop these criminals from stealing from us
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 23, 2021
ityP:

Very foolish fool. All the articles he bringing out are for what now? They probed and found nothing. So? Imagine the mumu talking about "expensive bra". Someone that claims to be intelligent. God forbid
Seriously I don't know what to say to that manna guy..the guy dey Dodge the matter dey face obasanjo own..
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by gambia(m): 6:46am On Dec 23, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

You can buy inverter A.C for such purpose, it will serve you well.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 23, 2021
gambia:

You can buy inverter A.C for such purpose, it will serve you well.
Thank you

I will make some research about it
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by respect80(m): 6:49am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:
The reason why Nigeria does not have 24 hours power supply is simple

We aren't paying for 24 hour supply, we are.paying for less than that.

The reason is in the article. The goverment is paying a subsidy.

The reason why the goverment is paying a subsidy is because the discos ad gencos would collapse financially without it.

Especially since the law establishing them made them charge less than the production cost of power.

In 2019,discos were selling power at N20 to 30 naira per kWh. Meanwhile it cost 53 naira to make that one kwh of power.

Now it costs over N73 to make one kwh of power. Discos now charge between 49 to 71 naira per kWh. Most areas pay less than N60 .

You see?

Discos aren't allowed to charge the kind of tarrifs that would enable them make enough cash to pay for much needed improvements. Then there are the nearly 40% of customers, rich poor and even goverment agencies who use power for free.No paying. Nothing.

The law allowing for the privatisation of power did not allow the power companies the right to make a profit . Thus as a result, there isn't enough money to fix things

That is why we are.in.darkness.

Nigerians have to be ready to pay for 24 hour power. You cannot pay N3000 for a car costing 4 million naira. That is what we have been doing for the power sector

For more.on the situation, read the PWC paper "solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector"

A page from the report is below. Worth reading.

Thanks for the explanation, but how much do you think it should cost an average household to have 24 hours power?
In as much as I agree with you on this, I also wish to draw your attention to the fact that there are also many households paying more and getting less power. The last time I was in the village, I noticed that many of this distribution companies were serving villagers living close to some semi urban areas the same amount of monthly bill based on estimated billing whereas the villagers were getting far less supply than their counterparts in the nearby semi - urban areas.
At a point, I took a closer look at the whole situation and I realized that on the average, the villagers were getting a total of less than 48 hours supply in a whole month period and they were still getting the same bill of between 5k to 7k as their counterparts living in semi urban areas even though this villagers lack heavy power consuming appliances.
Note that with a sound generator, one can get far more than 48 hours power for 7k.
So in summary, I agree with your explanation. However, there is also a good percentage of people paying more for less based on their current calculations.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by atheistandproud(m): 6:51am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

The reason why the goverment is paying a subsidy is because the discos ad gencos would collapse financially without it.

Especially since the law establishing them made them charge less than the production cost of power.

In 2019,discos were selling power at N20 to 30 naira per kWh. Meanwhile it cost 53 naira to make that one kwh of power.

Now it costs over N73 to make one kwh of power. Discos now charge between 49 to 71 naira per kWh. Most areas pay less than N60 .

You see?

Discos aren't allowed to charge the kind of tarrifs that would enable them make enough cash to pay for much needed improvements. Then there are the nearly 40% of customers, rich poor and even goverment agencies who use power for free.No paying. Nothing.

The law allowing for the privatisation of power did not allow the power companies the right to make a profit . Thus as a result, there isn't enough money to fix things

Nigerians have to be ready to pay for 24 hour power. You cannot pay N3000 for a car costing 4 million naira. That is what we have been doing for the power sector

For more.on the situation, read the PWC paper "solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector"

So what about our neighbors that we're supplying electricity for free?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 7:06am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

You see?

Then it should get disconnected and know we don't have electricity in Nigeria,

You are making sound like we are suppose to pay more than a hundred thousand per month for steady electricity.

Ghanaians isn't paying a fortune for electricity and they are enjoying 24/7 power

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

Then it should get disconnected and know we don't have electricity in Nigeria,

You are making sound like we are suppose to pay more than a hundred thousand per month for steady electricity.

Ghanaians isn't paying a fortune for electricity and they are enjoying 24/7 power

Ghanaians pay twice as much as we do for power and don't have as much as 40% of the consumers defaulting either.

They pay in full, they get in full
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

So what about our neighbors that we're supplying electricity for free?

They are part of the problem

They don't pay, discos and gencos end up with limited money to pay for improvements.

Simples
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 23, 2021
respect80:

Thanks for the explanation, but how much do you think it should cost an average household to have 24 hours power?
In as much as I agree with you on this, I also wish to draw your attention to the fact that there are also many households paying more and getting less power. The last time I was in the village, I noticed that many of this distribution companies were serving villagers living close to some semi urban areas the same amount of monthly bill based on estimated billing whereas the villagers were getting far less supply than their counterparts in the nearby semi - urban areas.
At a point, I took a closer look at the whole situation and I realized that on the average, the villagers were getting a total of less than 48 hours supply in a whole month period and they were still getting the same bill of between 5k to 7k as their counterparts living in semi urban areas even though this villagers lack heavy power consuming appliances.
Note that with a sound generator, one can get far more than 48 hours power for 7k.
So in summary, I agree with your explanation. However, there is also a good percentage of people paying more for less based on their current calculations.

Yes they are paying more for less because the discos aren't making enough profits for the reasons I have given to improve things.

When 40 percent of your consumers refuse to pay plus prices are set by the goverment , not by the business, then there would be zero improvements being made.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by atheistandproud(m): 7:24am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

They are part of the problem

They don't pay, discos and gencos end up with limited money to pay for improvements.

Simples

There's serious corruption in the system, from the people selling electricity to our neighbors high up in govt to nepa officials that run illegal connections for people under the table.

Where you wan start from?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

There's serious corruption in the system, from the people selling electricity to our neighbors high up in govt to nepa officials that run illegal connections for people under the table.

Where you wan start from?

The corruption exists because when you dont allow people make a profit legitimately, they will use underhand means of making money.

You cannot run a business and let goverment set your price. That's an invitation to making a loss. And you would use underhand methods to make a profit, or you will collapse

Then many people in this country have the idea that we can get power for free. On an income from oil which is never stable and a very low tax to gdp ratio.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Zainabthegirl1(f): 7:39am On Dec 23, 2021
Dey call money like say na paper
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Bigchristo: 7:48am On Dec 23, 2021
another1:
…FG to pay N129b subsidy as DisCos remits N130b

https://guardian.ng/energy/nigerians-spent-n259-7bn-on-electricity-in-3months-amid-epileptic-supply/
We are too comfortable in any situation thrown at us in this country
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by NGArmyTerrorist: 7:51am On Dec 23, 2021
Una problem na Igbo people and ipob; don't go and demand for your right from your darling daddy terrorist; stay there and be trolling igbo people..
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by phemmyfour: 7:53am On Dec 23, 2021
Spending so much and getting so little in return
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by YoungAncient1: 8:05am On Dec 23, 2021
Those guys installing prepaid meters are criminals. They usually manipulate the meter so it stops working after a few days until you call them. Then they charge you for correction of the error angry
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by dogmart(m): 8:16am On Dec 23, 2021
Maobichek:

Not as easy as you think, do you know the cost of having a solar in your house. I bought 2 batteries, 120k per one and over 400k was involved in the whole thing. Not everyone can afford that. Power supply is relatively good in most parts of CBD Abj, if what we have here is the same with all parts of Nigeria, no one will complain okay.

That is one big issue. Why will power supply be extremely good in certain states and areas and extremely bad in certain states. I hear of power being uninterrupted for days in certain states
This has never happened in Lagos (not that I know of)
And if you must know, those with lesser power end up paying way more that the ones with better supply.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Oshodipikin: 8:22am On Dec 23, 2021
For crypto guys.... Join the link for CZ token Airdrop and thank me later.

http:///Cztoken_bot?start=0xdceF1C083C43151503f33F851959127991cc7935
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Limassol(m): 8:33am On Dec 23, 2021
Maobichek:

How stable is power supply overthere? Do you get upto 18hrs of uniterrupted electricity?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Limassol(m): 8:42am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Ghanaians pay twice as much as we do for power and don't have as much as 40% of the consumers defaulting either.

The premise of your argument is faulty, and your points flawed. You are making it sound as if the goverment is doing Nigerians a favour, no they are not. Just so you know Nigeria is not the only country providing subsidised electricity to its citizens, far from that. Besides, all countries that charge well for power supply ensure it's qualitative and uninterrupted, what stops the useless The Nigerian goverment from doing same?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by emorse(m): 8:46am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

You see?

Mr. Modrov, for the umpteenth time, PWC does not live with us in our homes neither do they run the DISCOs accounts. They only have access to OFFICIAL documents which by all indications, are doctored.

Come on bro, how do they explain to us that collection remained largely the same both at N23/Kwh and now at N57/Kwh? And we haven't even considered the massive rip off that takes place through estimated billing o.

You say Ghana pays twice as much as we do but those are mere official figures. We pay 8 - 10 times as much as is being reported.

Do you know that in an area that gets an average monthly bill of 6k, some people are yet to use up the initial 100kwh (which would cost about N5700) that came with their prepaid meters since April? This is not as a result of "management" o. The power is just not available to consume. And the rest of us keep paying the average 6k monthly.

The solution to this problem is not higher tariffs abeg. Let them meter everyone and then raise the tariffs afterwards. If not, they'll just continue to reap where they have refused to sow while we continue to suffer.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by airsaylongcome: 8:48am On Dec 23, 2021
My own is completely laughable. EKEDC disconnected me in November. As in complete disconnection. At the end of November they brought a bill of ₦161k

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 23, 2021
Limassol:
The premise of your argument is faulty, and your points flawed. You are making it sound as if the goverment is doing Nigerians a favour, no they are not. Just so you know Nigeria is not the only country providing subsidised electricity to its citizens, far from that. Besides, all countries that charge well for power supply ensure it's qualitative and uninterrupted, what stops the useless The Nigerian goverment from doing same?

So, you expect the power companies to provide 24 hours power while running at a loss?

OKay, I like your business sense.

I guess if you were running a business selling soft drinks, you would tolerate half your customers not paying, and government forcing you to sell one bottle of coke at N20 to help the poor, instead of the RRP of N150-200.

My argument holds a lot of water. Countries that charge well for power supply, make enough of a profit as a result to supply 24 hours power supply. Our own power sector on the other hand has 40% of us not paying, and government forcing them to charge a tarrif that in prinicple is 2-40 naira below the cost of producing one kwh of power...meaning they make a loss...so bad that they cannot pay for improvements, meaning that we end up with bad power supply...all in the name of 'cheap power'

But it is my argument that does not hold water, while your magical thinking where a business can run well even when it is making losses so bad that they cannot pay the taxman for over eight years holds water. But then again, this is NIgeria, land of magical thinking par excellence.

Good morning.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by seyz91(m): 8:49am On Dec 23, 2021
Abi
Tokskob2008:
We pay for darkness in Nigeria...
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by emorse(m): 8:52am On Dec 23, 2021
airsaylongcome:
My own is completely laughable. EKEDC disconnected me in November. As in complete disconnection. At the end of November they brought a bill of ₦161k
And they'll add this figure and say 41% refused to pay.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 23, 2021
emorse:

Mr. Modrov, for the umpteenth time, PWC does not live with us in our homes neither do they run the DISCOs accounts. They only have access to OFFICIAL documents which by all indications, are doctored.

Come on bro, how do they explain to us that collection remained largely the same both at N23/Kwh and now at N57/Kwh? And we haven't even considered the massive rip off that takes place through estimated billing o.

You say Ghana pays twice as much as we do but those are mere official figures. We pay 8 - 10 times as much as is being reported.

Do you know that in an area that gets an average monthly bill of 6k, some people are yet to use up the initial 100kwh (which would cost about N5700) that came with their prepaid meters since April? This is not as a result of "management" o. The power is just not available to consume. And the rest of us keep paying the average 6k monthly.

The solution to this problem is not higher tariffs abeg. Let them meter everyone and then raise the tariffs afterwards. If not, they'll just continue to reap where they have refused to sow while we continue to suffer.

As an assignment...read this

Solving the liquidity crunch in the power sector.

Below is a summary of what I have been saying

You cannot run things on magical thinking. And stop shouting at me. Shout at your fellow countrymen and women and government agencies who don't pay. Not people like us who do pay

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Limassol(m): 8:53am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

That's untrue, pockets of Places in Ghana still get shoddy power supply despite the high tariffs. Ain't you aware of the protests that rocked the country recently? it's largely due to such deceitful governance that seems to be the norm in almost all African countries.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 23, 2021
Limassol:
That's untrue, pockets of Places in Ghana still get shoddy power supply despite the high tariffs. Ain't you aware of the protests that rocked the country recently? it's largely due to such deceitful governance that seems to be the norm in almost all African countries.

I see, but then again it doesn't make my argument invalid though.(YOu should also tell those Nigerians who think GHana has great power supply quoting me on this site this fact.)

Below is a page from this report which does a better job than me of explaining what has been going on in the power sector.

I suggest you and everyone else read it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Section 137: What Does The Law Say About Tinubu's Drug Case In the U.S? / Viral Picture Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Olukayode Ariwoola on Wheelchair / V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.