Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,046 members, 7,818,144 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply (6068 Views)

Peter Obi Backs Tinubu Government On Electricity Tariff Hike / Governor Zulum Donates 259 Houses To Police Officers (Pictures) / Tinubu: I Never Said I Spent N35 Billion On Buhari’s Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 10:45am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

They are private owned businesses, 60% private owned. GENCOS are even 100% owned by private companies. Government only runs transmission now.

OKay, the government is useless...and yes, I agree with that sentiment. (I'm someone who thiks all NIgerian governments have failed since independence, so you won't get much argument from me)

And a big sign of government uselessness is price controls on the power sector. Tried many times in many countries, and failed every time.(The communist countries that used to do it all now run private power companies...with no government price controls!).

Defending the right of business to make a profit so that they can improve things, and even pay taxes (power companies are so broke that they need government subsides to stay afloat, and also cannot pay taxes)...is now defending thieves? Your thought process is weird.

So in summary what's your solution?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 23, 2021
ayindejimmy:

I guess it's time for a revolution then

Tried before, works for some time...but eventually, you run out of the rich people's money you have confiscated, and then what next? You will start collecting the little money the poor majority have to pay for things, and then you run out of that...so it's back to IMF for loans.

Your country goes broke, the revolution fails, and then you are back to the old capitalism

What you wanted was tried in China. BY the late 1970's they were running out of money. They decided to try capitalism, while leaving the government to be communist. Today, they are a superpower....because they allowed people, and companies, including their power companies to make a profit...which they could use to pay for things.

Power companies need to make a profit to pay for

improvements in power supply
Improvements in staff welfare
Payment for maintenance and expansion of power supply
Employ more and more staff

THe money does not end up in some rich man's pocket, as you assume.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 23, 2021
ayindejimmy:

I guess it's time for a revolution then

Tried before, works for some time...but eventually, you run out of the rich people's money you have confiscated, and then what next? You will start collecting the little money the poor majority have to pay for things, and then you run out of that...so it's back to IMF for loans.

Your country goes broke, the revolution fails, and then you are back to the old capitalism

What you wanted was tried in China. BY the late 1970's they were running out of money. They decided to try capitalism, while leaving the government to be communist. Today, they are a superpower....because they allowed people, and companies, including their power companies to make a profit...which they could use to pay for things.

Power companies need to make a profit to pay for

improvements in power supply
Improvements in staff welfare
Payment for maintenance and expansion of power supply
Employ more and more staff

The money does not end up in some rich man's pocket, as you assume.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by dogmart(m): 10:48am On Dec 23, 2021
Maobichek:

And if you must know, those with lesser power end up paying way more that the ones with better supply.

This part i copied got me laughing, we pay heavily here, some people now device a mean of switching over to solar even when there is light just to save cost.

On the issue of some areas having better power supply, bear in mind that Abj is the seat of power and CBD is planned already. It's not that we have light 24/7 but if the whole of Nigeria will have light 20hours and above in a day, no one will complain okay.

Exactly!

Even 10hrs a day will be a miracle in many areas of the country.
I don't remember a single day of having even 6hrs uninterrupted power a day. Whereas we go days without power.

Do u know the most ridiculous thing. It is the estimated billing. This country is a serious scam. How will u just be billing people for darkness?
How on Earth do u keep sending someone bills for power which has been disconnected over 5years ago?

They should keep decieving themselves
The system is way to corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by emorse(m): 10:48am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Well, since you think the report is 'doctored' i can't help you there.

Your problem is that your mind is fixed. Anything challenging your mindset about the power supply situation in Nigeria must be 'doctored'.
This is obviously not correct. I referenced the PWC report even though I have reservations.

Also, you want free power...or 24 hour power without paying anything for it. You can't get that. It's not realistic. And it is that attitude that led us to having bad power in the first place.
This actually hurt cos I presently overpay for power that I don't consume to avoid accumulation. Many people do the same and I'm quite sure you do too (except if you have been metered). I just wonder why it's so easy for you to overlook the corruption, and ineptitude that these guys don't even try to hide. I can assure you that even if tariffs are increased to N300/kwh (many of us are already paying this much) without metering, they'll still post these same figures and claim that they're running at a loss.

Good morning. Apology accepted.
Good morning to you too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ayindejimmy(m): 10:49am On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

Why don't the government start with reducing the cost of governing,

It's funny how this government churn out trillions of naira and borrow millions of dollars with nothing to show for it for almost 8yrs now,

It's true we have wealthy people evading taxes,but who would want to pay tax to a government that you know would embezzle the money.

And how many people can actually afford tax in this country?

The lifestyle of politicians obviously is not encouraging.
Most people see paying tax as robbing to poor to feed the rich.
Inflated budget
Fictional projects
Unnecessary appointments
Duplicate appointments
Luxurious official cars

These are ways they spend the little taxes we pay.

And they want Nigerians to pay willingly when we are not blind

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

So in summary what's your solution?

Simple...LET THE DISCOS CHARGE THE PRICE THEY WANT.

They make enough of a profit to pay for improvements, pay gencos, pay for maintenance, and pay the TCN to be able to fund improvements in transmission

Improved profits attracts more investments, which means more and more expansion

Which means power improves

Sure, we would pay higher for power, BUT....we would get the 24 hour power we want in a decade, if not less.

We have home internet, a whole telecoms infrastructure that we did not have 20 years ago, and a whole industry built around the telecom sector simply because we allowed MTN, ECONET, and GLO and Mtel to be as greedy as they wanted. And they made profits which they invested in the above.

If you want free power, that's a pipe dream for now, unless we pay higher taxes, plus taxing everyone including Fulani herdsmen and street almajiri.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by otokx(m): 10:55am On Dec 23, 2021
Those with prepaid meters that did not do bypass are few and pay heavily.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Generalkorex(m): 10:58am On Dec 23, 2021
Are you working with GENCOS?
backbencher:

They are private owned businesses, 60% private owned. GENCOS are even 100% owned by private companies. Government only runs transmission now.

OKay, the government is useless...and yes, I agree with that sentiment. (I'm someone who thiks all NIgerian governments have failed since independence, so you won't get much argument from me)

And a big sign of government uselessness is price controls on the power sector. Tried many times in many countries, and failed every time.(The communist countries that used to do it all now run private power companies...with no government price controls!).

Defending the right of business to make a profit so that they can improve things, and even pay taxes (power companies are so broke that they need government subsides to stay afloat, and also cannot pay taxes)...is now defending thieves? Your thought process is weird.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 23, 2021
Generalkorex:
Are you working with GENCOS?

Are you?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Blackdisciple(m): 11:03am On Dec 23, 2021
Ok how will God not punish this people over this
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Generalkorex(m): 11:05am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Are you?
No, I'm just surprised that you took your time to explain things here.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 23, 2021
Generalkorex:

No, I'm just surprised that you took your time to explain things here.

Result of some years of reading and paying attention that started when I was trying to understand why GEJ was selling off the PHCN lock stock and barrel.

It's still an ongoing process. I certainly don't work for the discos and gencos, and even once had an issue with my local disco over a meter they did not issue .Ended up paying estimated till I moved to a place with a meter.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Generalkorex(m): 11:13am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Result of some years of reading and paying attention that started when I was trying to understand why GEJ was selling off the PHCN lock stock and barrel.
I understand better now
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Maobichek: 11:19am On Dec 23, 2021
Limassol:
How stable is power supply overthere? Do you get upto 18hrs of uniterrupted electricity?

Yes, more than 18hours but we pay heavily depending on your consumption.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 23, 2021
Limassol:
How stable is power supply overthere? Do you get upto 18hrs of uniterrupted electricity?
Maobichek:

Yes, more than 18hours but we pay heavily depending on your consumption.

Very true, and here is the tarrif schedule as at 2020 September below (SAUCE; BBC PIDGIN)

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 11:30am On Dec 23, 2021
ayindejimmy:

The lifestyle of politicians obviously is not encouraging.
Most people see paying tax as robbing to poor to feed the rich.
Inflated budget
Fictional projects
Unnecessary appointments
Duplicate appointments
Luxurious official cars

These are ways they spend the little taxes we pay.

And they want Nigerians to pay willingly when we are not blind

That's why I find it funny when some people think people paying tax would solve our problems
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 11:34am On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Very true, and here is the tarrif schedule as at 2020 September below (SAUCE; BBC PIDGIN)

How many people can afford to pay heavily for electricity?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

How many people can afford to pay heavily for electricity?

Okay, how many people can afford to pay for anything?

Since you think we are all poor, and cannot pay for any service, then that means that we should pay nothing for the food we eat, and the services we consume

Meaning that in the end you would get no service at all. Because no one can do anything for free, or for a price that is too cheap , because at the end of the day, we would all earn a low income., or no income. And you won't like it.

THINGS COST MONEY...and that includes power. Power costs money...money needed for expansion, money needed for staff welfare, and even more and more jobs. Money, my good man, MONEY!.

If you don't get that, sorry. That's effing life. You don't have to love it.

Before you quote me to abuse or whatever...ask yourself...would you do the work you do now for free, so that poor people can get your service offered for free? Because that's what you really want.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Okay, how many people can afford to pay for anything?

Since you think we are all poor, and cannot pay for any service, then that means that we should pay nothing for the food we eat, and the services we consume

Meaning that in the end you would get no service at all. Because no one can do anything for free, or for a price that is too cheap , because at the end of the day, we would all earn a low income., or no income. And you won't like it.

THINGS COST MONEY...and that includes power. Power costs money...money needed for expansion, money needed for staff welfare, and even more and more jobs. Money, my good man, MONEY!.

If you don't get that, sorry. That's effing life. You don't have to love it.

Before you quote me to abuse or whatever...ask yourself...would you do the work you do now for free, so that poor people can get your service offered for free? Because that's what you really want.

Lol

We ve been paying to be in darkness for ages and we complain about the amount we pay everyday

You talk about food,go to the streets and see how people are feeding,I wonder if you would tell someone earning below 50k to pay for electricity of 20k

I really don't understand how your theory would work,I'm sure Ghanaians aren't paying a fortune for electricity
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

Lol

We ve been paying to be in darkness for ages and we complain about the amount we pay everyday

You talk about food,go to the streets and see how people are feeding,I wonder if you would tell someone earning below 50k to pay for electricity of 20k

I really don't understand how your theory would work,I'm sure Ghanaians aren't paying a fortune for electricity

You want power for free without paying for it

Good. I understand you.

Just know that you can also.offer your services for free without payment since most people are poor now.

Good morning. I have tried for the day.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2021
emorse:

This is obviously not correct. I referenced the PWC report even though I have reservations.

This actually hurt cos I presently overpay for power that I don't consume to avoid accumulation. Many people do the same and I'm quite sure you do too (except if you have been metered). I just wonder why it's so easy for you to overlook the corruption, and ineptitude that these guys don't even try to hide. I can assure you that even if tariffs are increased to N300/kwh (many of us are already paying this much) without metering, they'll still post these same figures and claim that they're running at a loss.

Good morning to you too.

I really don't get his point,we have people paying over 300k for electricity monthly,so how many people can afford that,

And he would say he's not in support of the government
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Good. I understand you.

Just know that you can also.offer your services for free without payment since most people are poor now.

Come back here, grin

Most people pay for what they don't consume yet you want us to pay more?

You call 3hrs a say electricity?
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 12:10pm On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

Good. I understand you.

Just stfu

Nonsense
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

Come back here, grin

Most people pay for what they don't consume yet you want us to pay more?

You call 3hrs a say electricity?

You expect a company that only has 67 percent of its customers paying plus charging for power at a loss to give you 24 hours of ppwer a day

If you were my worker and I paid you 60 percent of your salary one month and 40% of your salary the next and so on, you go gree work at 100%? No, you will work at 30 percent or not at all.

Go and look for your free power.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

Just stfu

Nonsense

K.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by ajericho(m): 12:15pm On Dec 23, 2021
backbencher:

You expect a company that only has 67 percent of its customers paying plus charging for power at a loss to give you 24 hours of ppwer a day

If you were my worker and I paid you 60 percent of your salary one month and 40% of your salary the next and so on, you go gree work at 100%? No, you will work at 30 percent or not at all.

You are saying nonsense Mr man

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 23, 2021
ajericho:

You are saying nonsense Mr man

K.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Tianamen1: 3:37pm On Dec 23, 2021
Backbencher.
1. Between 2010 and 2012, professor Sam Amadi, the then Executive Secretary of the NERC came up with a multiyear tariff plan to bridge the gap in the cost of gas(priced in dollars) and the tariff paid by Nigerians(priced in naira).

2. During this period, oil prices were at all time highs, so Nigerians went on a spending spree as can be seen by the number of private jet owners in the country at that time and also the lack of accretion of savings in our excess crude account and also our foreign reserves(national savings).

3. By 2014, crude oil prices started to fall due to shale oil production and thus the naira also started to fall as a result. The price of electricity shot up as a result of exchange rate differentials.

4. Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world and it is amongst the most unequal nations on earth. Nigeria has one of the lowest Tax to GDP ratios on earth. Resource rich states in America such as Texas and Alaska do not have income tax like other states as this would disproportionately affect the poorer citizens of Texas and Alaska. Texas and Alaska however have higher consumption taxes such as sales taxes and property taxes.

5. As a resource rich nation Nigeria should focus on consumption taxes. In fact, if Nigeria had focused on raising consumption taxes, our national savings would have grown preventing the fall in value of the naira when crude oil prices fell in 2014. This in turn would have prevented the rise in the cost of a unit of electricity at that time.

6. Do subsidies on energy need to be removed? Yes because Nigeria is bleeding dry and has no other choice.

7. Do taxes that would disproportionately affect richer Nigerians need to go up? Yes, because their consumption of foreign goods puts pressure on our dollar reserves, thus increasing the price of both electricity and petrol in our local markets.

Ps.
I have Japa and I am enjoying the peace and harmony of California. I now understand why Tupac sang "LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., ITS THE PLACE TO BE...".
As for next year in Nigeria, my heart and prayers go out to the economic disaster brewing to occur next year. God be with Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 23, 2021
Tianamen1:
Backbencher.
1. Between 2010 and 2012, professor Sam Amadi, the then Executive Secretary of the NERC came up with a multiyear tariff plan to bridge the gap in the cost of gas(priced in dollars) and the tariff paid by Nigerians(priced in naira).

2. During this period, oil prices were at all time highs, so Nigerians went on a spending spree as can be seen by the number of private jet owners in the country at that time and also the lack of accretion of savings in our excess crude account and also our foreign reserves(national savings).

3. By 2014, crude oil prices started to fall due to shale oil production and thus the naira also started to fall as a result. The price of electricity shot up as a result of exchange rate differentials.

4. Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world and it is amongst the most unequal nations on earth. Nigeria has one of the lowest Tax to GDP ratios on earth. Resource rich states in America such as Texas and Alaska do not have income tax like other states as this would disproportionately affect the poorer citizens of Texas and Alaska. Texas and Alaska however have higher consumption taxes such as sales taxes and property taxes.

5. As a resource rich nation Nigeria should focus on consumption taxes. In fact, if Nigeria had focused on raising consumption taxes, our national savings would have grown preventing the fall in value of the naira when crude oil prices fell in 2014. This in turn would have prevented the rise in the cost of a unit of electricity at that time.

6. Do subsidies on energy need to be removed? Yes because Nigeria is bleeding dry and has no other choice.

7. Do taxes that would disproportionately affect richer Nigerians need to go up? Yes, because their consumption of foreign goods puts pressure on our dollar reserves, thus increasing the price of both electricity and petrol in our local markets.

Ps.
I have Japa and I am enjoying the peace and harmony of California. I now understand why Tupac sang "LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., ITS THE PLACE TO BE...".
As for next year in Nigeria, my heart and prayers go out to the economic disaster brewing to occur next year. God be with Nigeria.

THanks, but still, it doesn't change the fact that price controls and subsides create more problems than needed

I wish we could have cheap power. But the GSM sector did not start by charging N200 for a phone, and N20 for a SIM so that poor NIgerians could have phones, they started expensive, and as more profits , more competition and more came in...things got better

IN the USA, the average power bill is $144, in Calfornia where you are it is $134. People don't steal power, people don't skimp on their bills, and power companies can charge what they want. IN Nigeria, we steal power, we skimp on their bills, and government charges between N49-70 for something that should cost N80 and above and we expect power for 24/7, like California.

Lord knows I wish we could have things better than this. But you cannot have 24 hours power at ROCK-BOTTOM prices. Someone has to pay, and it has to be us.

Power costs money. If we keep on giving excuse that 'we are poor' then let us pay poor man money for power...and get poor power. NO two ways about it

Let's be realistic.

Good afternoon. That's all I have to say about the matter.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by PetroDolla2020: 6:04pm On Dec 23, 2021
Stop talking nonsense, huh? Power supply in Ghana is relatively stable and regular. Like any part of the world, occasional outages do occur. By the way, I live in Ghana so I am telling you reality, not something you read about on the internet.

Ghanaians are so used to regular power. So when power goes off intermittently, people do get agitated. It doesn’t mean power is not steady or regular in Ghana.

By the way, how is the power supply situation in Nigeria, the giANT of Africa cool

Limassol:
That's untrue, pockets of Places in Ghana still get shoddy power supply despite the high tariffs. Ain't you aware of the protests that rocked the country recently? it's largely due to such deceitful governance that seems to be the norm in almost all African countries.
Re: Nigerians Spent ₦259.7 Billion On Electricity In 3 Months Amid Epileptic Supply by emorse(m): 1:25am On Dec 24, 2021
backbencher:

Sorry to call you out on a dead thread but I need you to answer a few questions for me or at least, think about them.

1. According to the PWC report, metering will help to improve revenue generation. Why then is it so difficult for these guys to focus on that? You might say they don't have the funds but are you aware that they have meters on ground for sale? Isn't it the wise thing to do to meter as many unmetered customers as possible so as to improve their revenue collection? Why aren't they doing that?

2. What business does a loss - making company have with CSR?
[url]https://nairametrics.com/2020/11/28/ikeja-electric-bags-most-philanthropic-disco-award/[url]
If truly they are making so much loss, where do the funds for CSR come from? Wouldn't it be wiser to put those funds, no matter how little, into infrastructure that will improve their revenue generation and collection?

3. Can you from your heart of hearts say that you're very sure that those figures quoted by PWC are accurate and conform with the realities that you and the rest of us experience as far as the power sector is concerned?

4. If everyone is metered and tariffs are increased afterwards, who will lose?

5. This is by the way though but how can you collect 67% of your revenue and make a 50% loss.

Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Finding Common Ground: Role Of Trade Unions And FG In Fuel Subsidy Removal / Is There Anything You Like About Nigeria? / Goodluck Jonathan Will Win 2015 Elections - Apostle Suleiman Johnson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.