Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,752 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons (1779 Views)

Adorable Photo Of Obi Cubana And His Sons / Mustafa Chike-obi: Profile Of New Fidelity Bank Chairman | E-nigeria! / Mairama Indimi And Mustafa Masango Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons by farem: 6:30am On Dec 24, 2021
PHOTO;
King's College Lagos 1970: Balogun Chike-Obi (then in Form 4) receiving a Shell Petroleum Company book prize from Mr. Baxendell, at the time an executive with Shell in Nigeria.

Balogun Chike-Obi is a son of the mathematician and politician Chike Obi. According to Mustafa Chike Obi (Balogun's brother), their interesting names (considering their heritage) were influenced by their father's love of history.

“He [Chike Obi] liked [the name] Balogun, because my father was a student of Yoruba history. He believed that the Yoruba are the most organized among the ethnic groups in the south because of their war-like capabilities. There was a time the Fulani wanted to conquer Yorubaland but they were stopped in Osogbo by the Yoruba army. Balogun was a war chief in the Yorubaland and that was why he named my brother Balogun"

Mustafa, commenting on his own name said:

"He named me Mustafa for almost the same reason. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was a Prime Minister of Turkey, during and after the first world war. Mustafa took Turkey from the primitive age to the modern age, and as a result, the country went from a Muslim State to a modern secular State. My father liked the way he helped the Turkish nationalists against the imperialists."

Balogun Chike Obi studied Physics at the university level and was a lecturer at the University of Ilorin.

Source: The Mermaid, 1971 Vol 1 No. 53 and from the archives of the late Adedoyin Idowu, Mckee Wright’s House, 1946 - 1951. Courtesy of KCOBA-NA

Re: Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons by thesicilian: 6:37am On Dec 24, 2021
So there are no legendary heroes in Igbo land that he could have named his children after? Just goes to show that one can be book smart and not street smart.
Re: Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons by OneCandleAway(f): 9:28am On Dec 24, 2021
thesicilian:
So there are no legendary heroes in Igbo land that he could have named his children after? Just goes to show that one can be book smart and not street smart.

But even azikiwe gave his son yoruba name as I learnt.

1 Like

Re: Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons by Idiko1: 1:18pm On Dec 24, 2021
farem:
PHOTO;
King's College Lagos 1970: Balogun Chike-Obi (then in Form 4) receiving a Shell Petroleum Company book prize from Mr. Baxendell, at the time an executive with Shell in Nigeria.

Balogun Chike-Obi is a son of the mathematician and politician Chike Obi. According to Mustafa Chike Obi (Balogun's brother), their interesting names (considering their heritage) were influenced by their father's love of history.

“He [Chike Obi] liked [the name] Balogun, because my father was a student of Yoruba history. He believed that the Yoruba are the most organized among the ethnic groups in the south because of their war-like capabilities. There was a time the Fulani wanted to conquer Yorubaland but they were stopped in Osogbo by the Yoruba army. Balogun was a war chief in the Yorubaland and that was why he named my brother Balogun"

Mustafa, commenting on his own name said:

"He named me Mustafa for almost the same reason. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was a Prime Minister of Turkey, during and after the first world war. Mustafa took Turkey from the primitive age to the modern age, and as a result, the country went from a Muslim State to a modern secular State. My father liked the way he helped the Turkish nationalists against the imperialists."

Balogun Chike Obi studied Physics at the university level and was a lecturer at the University of Ilorin.

Source: The Mermaid, 1971 Vol 1 No. 53 and from the archives of the late Adedoyin Idowu, Mckee Wright’s House, 1946 - 1951. Courtesy of KCOBA-NA

The Caliphate marauders were not stopped at Osogbo by any Yoruba soldier but bottom power. I went to Osogbo, now capital of Osun State, to attest to the fact. At a point, I ask if bottom surgeons abound in Osogbo. grin grin grin
Re: Balogun & Mustafa Chike-obi; Why The Legendary Mathematician So Named His Sons by farem: 9:58am On Dec 25, 2021
Idiko1:

The Caliphate marauders were not stopped at Osogbo by any Yoruba soldier but bottom power. I went to Osogbo, now capital of Osun State, to attest to the fact. At a point, I ask if bottom surgeons abound in Osogbo. grin grin grin

You must surely be roaming about like your colleagues - lunatics, to meet those who give you this conclusion that even the Fulani version will be shocked

(1) (Reply)

See Countries Supporting Israel VS Countries Supporting Palestine (hamas) / Underrated Beautiful Women / The President's Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.