Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,030 members, 7,835,495 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Why I Changed My Name...mimoe - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why I Changed My Name...mimoe (264 Views)

This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To / Why I Will Never Feature Wizkid, Davido, And Burnaboy- Speed Darlington / Why I Mostly Sing In Yoruba Language – Asake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Changed My Name...mimoe by EmmanuelDaralo: 7:53am On Dec 28, 2021
Why I Changed My Name...Mimoe

A week before Joshua Levites AKA Mimoe released his brand new extended play, I had a conversation with him. We talked about the reason for the change of name, what to expect from his new project, and many more.

The edited version is down below

How are you feeling right now and where are you?

Mimoe: I'm in Lagos, in my studio precisely. Being an indoor person that's where I am most of the days, working my ass off and doing what I love most. I'm feeling positive and motivated, you know, about the future and everything.

Close to a year after the release of your EP, You are back, what's up?

Mimoe: Yeah, not like I left though, been around. Working, making music, staying motivated, and going with the flow because I don't like to do things on impulse, I'll only do it when I know the time is right. No pressure.
What's up? I just changed my artist name to 'Mimoe', and a new EP will be out in a few days. That's what's up.

Why did the name change and how did you come about that name?

Mimoe: Firstly, I've always wanted a unique artist name that no one else has and at the same time represents what I am.
And secondly, the songs I released in 2018 under the name "Joshua Levites" when I started do not perfectly represent me anymore in terms of quality of production and genre. It's almost impossible to take down those songs, so now is the right time to do that name change and continue what I started with my EP last year.

Mimoe is an acronym for "Most Influential Musician On Earth". That's what I call myself, and it's who I want to be. Those close to me are familiar with this name.

Do you think it was necessary?

Mimoe: Absolutely. It was. Like I said, I don't like to do things on impulse. This is something I have been thinking about since 2019 and I know it's the perfect time to do it.

Moving up, what's the next thing

Mimoe: Okay, you're the first to hear it; I'll be releasing my EP on Christmas day. And I also have some major projects planned for next year. I can't say much about them now but expect 'hooge' things from Mimoe going forward.

Tell me more about your forthcoming EP?

Mimoe: The EP has six songs on it and I promise you it's nothing like you've heard from me. People who are close to me know me for being versatile and creative when it comes to songwriting. It's intentional because I don't like being predictable and restricted to a particular flow. Yes, I have my unique sound but I am not restricted. So watch out for this one.

How has your music career been since you started?

Mimoe: There's been a lot of unfolding. I've had to evolve from one phase to another phase and with each release, each project I feel like I'm just starting, the energy is always fresh. I feel like people have not even seen or heard enough of what I am capable of yet and I want to keep that vibe. Because as long as I feel this way I won't have any reason to be complacent or feel like I have arrived no matter what I achieve. There's always something next.

When did you start music?

Mimoe: When did I start releasing music? 2018. I released about four gospel songs before taking a break and going to music school. That was where I knew exactly what I wanted to do with music and what kind of music I wanted to make.

Who were your influences while growing up?

Mimoe: My family. I grew up in a family where everyone sings and understands the rudiment of music. Even my dad and mum met in the choir, lol. So it was quite easy for me to pick up music. I joined the children's choir at 4 and joined my first band with my brother at that age. And living in a mission house where my dad was the senior pastor of the church, music was everywhere. We had every kind of musical instrument around.

My dad loved playing records from Ebenezer Obey, King Sunny Ade, Baba Ara, and so on. Growing up in a musical environment helped me a lot.

I observed you rarely collaborate, do you have a problem with that?

(1) (Reply)

9ice And Ruggedman Elevated Afrobeats In Global Music / Which One Of These Female Artists From Africa Is Your Favorite / What Do You Think About Finesse By Pheelz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.