Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

"My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) (430 Views)

Roses And Thorns (7) / Roses And Thorns / Purple Roses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by Elistho(m): 10:32am On Dec 29, 2021
And it is the end of the year again. Here comes the festive period which comprises the Yuletide, the new year, and what? Of course, the year continues, every other holiday is not held in high esteem like the aforementioned. Isn't that discrimination and segregation to every other holiday? Smiles!!

When Individuals begin a new year after a whole lot of fun, they tend to make some resolutions, some go as far as drafting it out on a list. Why? Just to make sure they're able to attend to their desired goals. When they feel like giving up, they open their diary or wherever it was penned down, and, they can't pretend to be oblivious of the obvious. They push further, in the end, it is always worth it. There's a cliché that says "what is worth doing, is worth doing good."

Just like every other sane human, I made resolutions, albeit, some resolutions are practically inevitable. Experiences, winnings, and losses, etc. are all part of these inevitable resolutions. Hitherto, I'm not a type that will jot down my resolutions, not meaning it's absurd. No, it's absolutely okay and cool.

My Experiences!! 2021 was full of tremendous up's and down's, at a point I was literally fluctuating. You'll be reading my working experience which was fully driven by personal desires, I mean needs not wants, not material things, you get it? You might even learn a lesson or two.

After the Covid-19 pandemic, the world was literally in chaos with hardship taking its toll on humans, I wasn't exempted as well. Let me ask you, can you stay without a smartphone at your age? Smiles! You can't? What will you do to get the Smartphone? Your parents will get it for you? Then you're lucky, I call you a lucky-chap. Well, I wasn't as lucky as you're, my parents had the money, but not money to buy me a smartphone, trust African parents, your smartphone isn't a top-notch priority. I literally convinced them all night every day to see reasons with me why they need to forfeit some certain amount of money to enable me to get a phone. Unfortunately or fortunately for me, they saw reasons with me but couldn't just part away with that amount at that hard time. To them, It was a want, not a need, to me, it was my life. I was always daydreaming of handling my social media accounts, Writing all I can and getting paid if lucky, I couldn't just wait. How about school? Will I enter a higher institution without a smartphone? Hell no. I can't start listing all I wanted a smartphone for.

After months of futile bargains with my parents, I decided to end it abruptly and take the bull by the horns. To get what I want, I needed to leave my comfort zone. You wouldn't imagine what I did all just to get a smartphone. Ahhhh!! I went to work as a sales boy in a phone shop for six thousand naira (6,000) monthly. God, when I reminisce on this scenario, I conclude it isn't good to be a desperado. I was to work six days a week, 12 hours or more a day. I accepted it, but guess what? Hahaha, I ran away from the work after three days. Was it even up to three days? Whatever!! I was maltreated and used. I was advised to stand outside and be calling customers, more sales, more money. The sun, the stress, Hunger, name it. I endured. The straw that broke the camel's back was when my boss sent me to go and clean his new phone shop. Reader, trust me, if my boss was to hire people to clean up that new site, he would have done part away with equivalent or near of my salary. Gosh!! The place was so Dirty, the tiles had stained and needed chemicals for removal, the wall paints so dirty, the show glasses were crying for a change, so unpleasant and terrible, tremendously terrible. I was to clean up that place, I tried, but believe me, I was suffering, I became depressed under three days. I was trying to do the clean-up when my boss shouted gushed and screamed, he believed that I'm doing nonsense and should do it better, "scrub harder, what are you doing." At this moment, I nearly suffocated, why am I suffering like an orphan for a low wage of 6K when my parents are alive. Reader, guess what? Hahaha, I left the clean up at the spot and went home, I didn't even go to meet boss to tell him, I'm resigning after 3 days, I just left, told the next sales boy he should inform his boss I resigned, I left everything for him and whatever.

Hahaha, my smartphone hope had gone extinct, I went home. As fate would have it, after weeks, I landed a new job, I was to work as a POS attendant. Dear Reader, this work plunged and flung me into a deep depression. I faced so many things, ranging from being accused of money theft to Money shortages resulting in slashed or no salary plus debts. My boss didn't even help things, he was very rude and harsh to his workers, all of us I mean, I think he even had a soft spot for me, if not, I would have been crying every day, Ahhhh. The nature of point-of-sales (POS) work is very risky. Any premeditated or unintentional negligence, recklessness, carelessness, and what have you!! You're gone, you might even be duped, it happened to my co-workers many times that they ran into debts of hundreds of thousands, imagine working for six months without salary, God saved me in my working place, I seldom encountered Issues.

Dear Reader, in the end, I saved up and got myself a smartphone, all my intentions with the smartphone were fulfilled, I became a paid writer and all sorts. Okay!! At this point, I'll use the aforementioned story to tell you my losses and winnings. Mind you, my 2021 resolutions started coming on board when I started working, so, I can say, my 2021 began at that point, Howbeit, it was mid-year.

My Winnings? I became independent to an extent, though under my parent's roof. Via the work, I had money to cater to all my needs. I even volunteered, yes I call it volunteer because it wasn't my duty Afterall. Yes, I volunteered to sponsor my school needs for the initial part when I got admitted. I paid my rent, bought my wears, etc. My account balance was fat in 2021 although I exhausted it all, I'm glad it is my future I invested the money in. While working and getting money, I resisted all urges to follow trends, wear fashionables and go on outings, I even denied myself my desired food when the appetite came because I was trying to save up. So, in 2021, I became financially independent though it lasted for a while, the desired while. I'm now a student and broke as a damn hell nigger, don't laugh. I'm still getting Writing Gigs though, the power of my beloved smartphone I desired. Are you learning?

My losses, I had an academic loss, not losses. All thanks to Mr. JAMB a very good girl and a renowned bastard. This girl isn't very good, I now despise recounting the story, but I scaled through and will keep Soaring.

In conclusion, my 2021 resolutions were all achieved and I even had to input more resolutions along the line. I got myself a smartphone with my own money, I catered for my needs, I entered higher institution and still helped myself through to step in, I became a paid Copywriter and Writer and I improved my skills, etc. There are immeasurable. God is wonderful!! Hard work is wonderful!! Determination is wonderful!!

When you feel like giving up, remember I gave up and dusted my ass up, 2021, a good year. 2022, a very good year in anticipation, at the end, I'm thankful to God!! Are you thankful?

https://www./519545288952046/permalink/919354125637825/?app=fbl

Briefly Share your story in the comment box

Please, this story is part of a writing contest, the writer only wins if he pulls off the highest engagements (Likes.)

Please if you learnt something, Click on the link and react on the Facebook post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by Elistho(m): 10:36am On Dec 29, 2021
Doesn't it worth frontpage?
Re: "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by Blake755: 4:26pm On Dec 29, 2021
Wow ur write up is fanastic bro i wish i could write like u someday.
Re: "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by hardeygbolar(m): 6:29pm On Dec 29, 2021
Nice write up bro. Can you pls point out how you made money from writing or websites that paid you for writing, I'm also a student(400lv) and I can write as well but I need paid writing so I could sort some of my bills

1 Like

Re: "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2021
Oh Gosh. I read to the very end. Couldn't help but feel emotional after that embarassed
Re: "My 2021 Story." (roses And Thorns) by Elistho(m): 3:03pm On Dec 30, 2021
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Which Of This (6) Screenshot Deserves 50 Likes? / Images From The First Edition Of The Read Nigeria Project / Ants To Sugar; Men To Her. (A Short Christian Story Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.