Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery (48337 Views)

Tesla Car With Hilarious Number Plate In Lagos TRENDING, IVM JOINED / Car Spotted Carrying Another Car On Nigerian Road (video) / Woman Drives Her N34m Tesla Car, Says 'I'm Cruising In My Machine' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by RedEnergy: 10:53am On Dec 31, 2021
3rd mainland bridge has no traffic from this picture. The tesla probably used 95% of its battery power to pass through Ajah to Lekki traffic. Even Tesla cannot can again inside Lekki-Ajah traffic grin. Even during Christmas holidays, traffic still dey kampe for lekki
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by isax(m): 10:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Fredinson:
In Naija where we hardly have low or no power supply, a Tesla car was seen parked on the Lagos mainland bridge which was as a result of it running out of battery. I guess Lagos traffic could have been the primary reason of the battery running out �

Shey d car nor dey do circular charging ni?
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Konquest: 10:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Fredinson:
In Naija where we hardly have low or no power supply, a Tesla car was seen parked on the Lagos mainland bridge which was as a result of it running out of battery. I guess Lagos traffic could have been the primary reason of the battery running out
LOL... even in the U.S., Tesla cars develop problems induced by floods, car crashes,
and other technical faults. No big deal.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Donpenny(m): 10:58am On Dec 31, 2021
Just imagine you're travelling with this kind of car along kaduna- abuja express way or all these kidnapping roads. Just be singing "it is well with my soul" grin
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by vickydevoka(m): 11:05am On Dec 31, 2021
longetivity:
But traffic has reduced drastically in Lagos nah
Igbos don travel for Xmas
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by lkillbrokehoes: 11:17am On Dec 31, 2021
TempUser:
Old news. Nairaland has gone to the dogs. I saw this about a week ago! If it's too push snake posts to front page, na that then sabi. undecided
Say na today you know? this is why I'm always on Instagram to get latest news.

2 Likes

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by RPG2020(m): 11:39am On Dec 31, 2021
is like buying bread from the village to the City grin
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Bmaster(m): 11:43am On Dec 31, 2021
MartinsD12:

There are power Banks inverter that could charge that car , with up to 300000mah and 240 power supply plug
power banks inverter you call am,like if its not gonna be charged before using?
Or would you rather charge a 300000mah bank with generator?
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by SonOfTheRisingS: 11:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Welcome to the zoo called nigeria.
Nigeria advertising agents scammed foreigners this year really hard. Do you know how much Nigeria government agencies are paying to world media houses and platforms to be advertising how good and developing Nigeria is?
Nigeria is a scam.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by lexy2014: 11:54am On Dec 31, 2021
Saturn444:
Lagos is the worst place to drive electric car. Traffic is crazy, I think Akwa Ibom, Abuja are great.

i think light that they supply akwa ibom and abuja is from dubai while the one they supply lagos is from kainji dam

2 Likes

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Adamisa77(m): 11:58am On Dec 31, 2021
Jibwillz:
U carry Tesla come country wey nepa dey supply half current.grin grin grin

u dey get half current/?
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 31, 2021
lexy2014:

i think light that they are supply akwa ibom and abuja is from dubai while the one they supply lagos is from kainji dam

Akwa Ibom State has its own Ibom Power Plant, hence the noticeable range of electricity supply there.

Abuja is Federal Capital so one could accurately or erroneously say its Federal vested interests.

Lagos has power plants but the population of Lagos is just too much compared to habitable landmass so the congestion in traffic delays commute time and if you factor in the battery range in relation to time, then simple physics will show you that dissipation over time occurs irrespective of range hence its super ignorant to drive eVehicles in traffic prone cities not just Lagos.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by lexy2014: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2021
Saturn444:

Akwa Ibom State has its own Ibom Power Plant, hence the noticeable range of electricity supply there.

Abuja is Federal Capital so one could accurately or erroneously say its Federal vested interests.

Lagos has power plants but the population of Lagos is just too much compared to habitable landmass so the congestion in traffic delays commute time and if you factor in the battery range in relation to time, then simple physics will show you that dissipation over time occurs irrespective of range hence its super ignorant to drive eVehicles in traffic prone cities not just Lagos.

what has "Abuja is Federal Capital so one could accurately or erroneously say its Federal vested interests" got to do with what i said? this is completely off point.

which power plants are in lagos? kindly mention them. which power plants are in akwa ibom? how is electricity generated and distributed in nigeria? what is national grid?

so in the end, where is the electricity to charge a tesla in nigeria, whether u use it in lagos, akwa ibom or abuja? how is the light supplied to lagos diferent from the light that is supplied to abuja and akwa ibom that u mentioned?
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by CaptainFM1: 12:45pm On Dec 31, 2021
siofra:
It's negligence on the driver's side. The battery of a Tesla lasts long per charge.

If he can afford a Tesla he can afford a capable electricity generating plant to charge the car. He should know he's in Nigeria.

And he will carry his power station everywhere he's going?

What needs to be done is to have charging station at say every 2km.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Eriokanmi: 1:05pm On Dec 31, 2021
InoGetJoy:

People don't realize that these people in power don't really have our affairs at hand. I and a friend of mine met with one of the close associates of the Imo State governor (Hope Uzodimma) so he'll help us get access to the governor to submit a proposal that would've greatly helped the security situation in the state. The man told us that, while our idea was great, he has to be honest with us and told us that if the government doesn't see an avenue to use the proposal to collect funds, they wont approve it.
I was disgusted. That was where everything ended
That's it
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Eriokanmi: 1:17pm On Dec 31, 2021
fuke:

If Lagos does not build an airport, it may be because
they do not need one for now.
The Anambra airport will be underutilized and
won't be profitable if you think about how much it costs to run an airport

The one in Ibadan, Oyo State which is three
time Anambra has a flight or two in a week.
You can argue though, that there will be traffic for Anambra Lagos

As for the sharing of profit, your guy did not tell you the whole truth.
It must be joint financing, and Lagos would be daft not to share in the profit.

In things like this there Lagos only has to send a person to understudy
for a month and buy the boats with people to maintain.

This is not a refinery brother.
Who told you that Lagos does not need one?. Do you know the population of those living in lagos alone? Lagos state is more populated than 3 or more counties in Africa put together. It wouldn't be a bad idea if the local airport being used for campaign every 4 years is allowed to come on steam, to serve those on the island and part of ogun residents. On Anambra Airport, I beg to differ. By the time its in full operation, they'd be wondering why they didn't build it much earlier. Asaba airport is a case study. Many criticised them when they were building it and now, more flights have been added. Its now one of the busiest airports in the region.

On ibadan airport at alakia side, its now getting busy too even though its owned by FG. Lagos needs it more than any other state. Do we have the population? Yes! Will the state govt generate revenues? Yes! When obj came and the MM2 was being discussed,.they told him lagos wouldn't need another local wing. Go to MM2 now and see wonder. We shouldn't be thinking backward
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by MartinsD12(m): 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2021
Bmaster:
power banks inverter you call am,like if its not gonna be charged before using?
Or would you rather charge a 300000mah bank with generator?
The way they design the inverter it can charge under 3hours , yes for someone to buy such a car a big generator will charge the inverter then keep it at the boot of the car in case of emergency like this , that's it there it can charge telsa car , china technology has made everything easy there are even 5000000 capacity depending on the battery capacity of that Tesla car

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by linearity: 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2021
Zoharariel:

Traffic or no traffic, Nigeria is not yet ready for electric vehicles, maybe by the year 2070 - when Oduduwa Republic would be competing with Austria & Japan. grin

I use to also think that, our better days are ahead guaranteed.

But now, not so much…..it is no longer guaranteed that, the mere passage of time will make things better.

Giving the way things are at the moment in Nigeria, I will give anything to reset the clock backward to 5, 8 or 10 or 20 years back, things were really better then like in year 2000.

Ironically, in 2000 we were all yelling 2020 or 2021 will be better, now that we are here, we know better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by linearity: 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2021
MartinsD12:

The way they design the inverter it can charge under 3hours , yes for someone to buy such a car a big generator will charge the inverter then keep it at the boot of the car in case of emergency like this , that's it there it can charge telsa car , china technology has made everything easy there are even 5000000 capacity depending on the battery capacity of that Tesla car

Bros you well so?

Tesla vehicle batteries ranges from 50kw to 100kw, na him you wan you use 1000w inverted charge so?

Park well I beg, you for kuku advice make them dey carry solar panel for trunk, so wey battery run down, na just to spread panel and plug motor to get charge.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by QuoteJustOnce: 1:55pm On Dec 31, 2021
FarahAideed:

Till you get trapped in 2 hour hold up it's is then you will know that 300kms is just 3 hours of charge ..this dude lives in Ikoyi because I always see him around there and I am sure he stays on a property with 24 hour electricity ...not his fault sometimes Lagos happens to us all..I remember I used to frown at people urinating on the road in traffic till I got stuck in traffic and had no single choice than do the same

Not true for electric vehicles. Let me educate you a bit.
ICE vehicles will continue to run and combust and burn fuel when you're sitting idly in traffic; so traffic is a nightmare for regular internal combustion engine - vehicles.
Electric vehicles on the other hand will shut down the motors that drive the vehicles (no combustion; no rotation); The only things that would remain powered would be the electronics e.g. radio, headlamps and ventilation (A/C). In the state, you can sit in traffic for 1 week plus before the battery dies.
So pound for pound, in traffic, the Tesla will die many many days later than a regular car that would last only a few hours at best. Be guided.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by QuoteJustOnce: 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2021
descartes400:
Telsa should have two battery system, the telsa battery system and the other battery system with alternator to avoid situations like this...mehn thus my idea is worth billions of dollars oh

Le me look for their phone number self to discuss the business idea.

You talk smart, but in reality not smarter than the seasoned engineers who put together electric vehicles.
Your idea is trash.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by MartinsD12(m): 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2021
linearity:

Bros you well so?

Tesla vehicle batteries ranges from 50kw to 100kw, na him you wan you use 1000w inverted charge so?

Park well I beg, you for kuku advice make them dey carry solar panel for trunk, so wey battery run down, na just to spread panel and plug motor to get charge.
It's like you don't read at all I said there is higher capacity depending on the car model and battery capacity it's not about kw
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by wonlasewonimi: 2:10pm On Dec 31, 2021
That car would not run out of battery in a traffic jam from a full charge. A car that was designed to be used for camping? The guy must have missed charging it or it developed a fault.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by QuoteJustOnce: 2:16pm On Dec 31, 2021
wonlasewonimi:
That car would not run out of battery in a traffic jam from a full charge. A car that was designed to be used for camping? The guy must have missed charging it or it developed a fault.

You're smart. Exactly what somebody said before. A headline was just thrown and even without being there; everyone is swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Even those who don't know how Tiger batteries work; are now claiming PhD in tesla and battery matters.
Dumb ppl full here sha. How Nairaland has fallen

1 Like

Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by wonlasewonimi: 2:20pm On Dec 31, 2021
QuoteJustOnce:

You're smart. Exactly what somebody said before. A headline was just thrown and even without being there; everyone is swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Even those who don't know how Tiger batteries work; are now claiming PhD in tesla and battery matters.
Dumb ppl full here sha. How Nairaland has fallen

Bro I am saving to by a Model Y or the Plaid in 2022. I know way too much about Tesla!
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by descartes400: 2:24pm On Dec 31, 2021
QuoteJustOnce:

You talk smart, but in reality not smarter than the seasoned engineers who put together electric vehicles.
Your idea is trash.

I see that you are incapable of noticing a joke when you see one.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Kenn55: 2:35pm On Dec 31, 2021
owagbeba:
Why can’t we have a stable power supply?

Why can’t we reform the laws allowing states to generate power under clean energy act?

Why can’t the central leadership coerce all these “no-good” state leadership to get up and starting working for their state rather than wait for handout from central? Most of the Emirates in UAE run their own power supply scheme. Some emirates like Ajman is not as big as Lagos, yet they have their power plants. See below photo3 Ajman’s power plant.

It’s 2021.... the science of power generation is quite rudimentary at these times. Not a big deal! It’s the same basic science of your tiger generator scaled up a thousand times.

Turkey runs an offshore power turbine (on ship) off the coast of Lebanon to supply power to this nation (Lebanon). Lagos can get one of this. Lagos can afford it. If they can’t, then rent the service. See below Turkey’s Karpowership.

China will be more than happy to build a power plant on each state in Nigeria on a long term repayment agreement; just the way we partnered with them on rail.

Sometimes we need brute force to make a change... the way Sanusi forced everyone to go cashless. Now POS operator is a popular employment scheme around Nigeria, though not good enough, better then staying unemployed.

But what we have is a bunch of clowns who are after their own interest. Their greed stinks! Most often they distract the people with non issues while they are neck deep in the coffers

It’s an APC government, an APC legislature... what are they waiting for?

PS: second photo is shell’s power supply scheme to Aba industrial zone. It’s a limited scheme.

Nigeria will collect loan for everything except for things that would make the maximum impact.
Have you ever wondered why Nigeria can't collect money from China or elsewhere to fix electricity or build new refineries? The answer is simple.

Those 2 areas will produce a positive effect that would improve the state of the country and empower the citizens but what the government and Nigerian elites don't want to see is the progress of the common man.
Keeping the common man poor and suffering is a good tool to control them and use them for their selfish interest.

The poorer the people, the better for the elites who want total control of the people.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2021
lexy2014:

what has "Abuja is Federal Capital so one could accurately or erroneously say its Federal vested interests" got to do with what i said? this is completely off point.

which power plants are in lagos? kindly mention them. which power plants are in akwa ibom? how is electricity generated and distributed in nigeria? what is national grid?

so in the end, where is the electricity to charge a tesla in nigeria, whether u use it in lagos, akwa ibom or abuja? how is the light supplied to lagos diferent from the light that is supplied to abuja and akwa ibom that u mentioned?

It's about range covered per single charge and not about power supply. But Ibom does have power plant its 110megwatts and owns shares in the distribution company PHEDC so they are stake holders and decidewhat goes to national grid.

It's not that Lagos roads are not good as those of Akwa Ibom and Abuja but the traffic situation in Lagos will make owners of electric cars develop hbp.

Emotional outburst is for ignorant people. Stop looking like one.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by lexy2014: 3:59pm On Dec 31, 2021
Saturn444:

It's about range covered per single charge and not about power supply. But Ibom does have power plant its 110megwatts and owns shares in the distribution company PHEDC so they are stake holders and decidewhat goes to national grid.

It's not that Lagos roads are not good as those of Akwa Ibom and Abuja but the traffic situation in Lagos will make owners of electric cars develop hbp.

Emotional outburst is for ignorant people. Stop looking like one.

U haven't answered the questions I asked. U still talking off point:

If akwa Ibom has a power plant, what about 110mw? What has it got to do with akwa Ibom power plant? Pls read your off point again.

If you say that akwa Ibom because owns shares in PHEDC, it has constant electricity, what of bayelsa state?

Who talked about roads? Did u see any mention of roads in the questions I asked u? Off point again.

How does akwa Ibom decide what goes to national grid because it has shares in PHEDC?
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by linearity: 4:14pm On Dec 31, 2021
MartinsD12:

It's like you don't read at all I said there is higher capacity depending on the car model and battery capacity it's not about kw

Bros stop digging a hole for yourself, we all learn every day.

You are even showing your shallowness on the subject by saying '...it's not about kw', but still mentioned battery capacity in the same sentence....battery capacity is about AH and AH is about kw, there are direct mathematical relationships.

Inverters by themselves do not store power or energy, they merely invert a DC power stored somewhere to an AC output. So, you must connect them to a DC source, though there are some mobile ones that can come with in-built battery, but those mobile battery capacities are usually very small to make any impact.

In fact, the idea of using an inverter to charge an EV is very odd.....EV vehicles uses DC batteries and the power are stored in their batteries as DC.....so why will I connect a DC battery source to an inverter to convert my power to AC via the inverter, then feed that AC power to the EV, which converts it back to DC before storing it in it's battery bank?

Superfast EV stations use DC sources to charge the vehicle directly which bypasses the AC to DC conversion circuitry on the EV, so a mobile charger of the sort you talked about will not be an inverter.

Another reason your solution will not work is pure science and mathematics.....

1. The lowest Telsa capacity option now is 75kw.
2. For your inverter, even if you use the deep cycle batteries, the best capacity you will get is about 100AH, if you go with the marine battery, you can get about 200AH and they weigh about 130 lbs each.

To charge your 75kw EV for a mere 6% ie 4,500 watts you will need

4500 watt /12 volt = 375 AH, since you are not going to get 100% efficiency that means you will need to be carrying around in your EV 4 regular 100 AH DC batteries that are fully charged all the time or 2 marine 200 AH batteries weighing a total of 260 lbs.

And, what will all these give you?

A fully charged Telsa will give you about 300 miles, ( the actual range is between 260 to 400 miles) depending on your driving style, speed, and conditions...so a 6% charged Telsa will give you just about 0.06 x 300 miles = 18 miles, and this is on the assumption that you will be driving at about 65-70 MPH. In Lagos traffic even after that charge, your batteries will completely deplete again if you are still in that traffic for another 15 minutes, which will most likely be the case.

And if you say, 6% is too small, you want to double that, and get about 12% charge so that you can get about 36 miles or more drive time....that is 4 marine batteries of 200AH weighing about 520 lbs that you will be carrying about or 8 regular 100AH batteries.

You can see that the risk-reward ratio is not in favor of an inverter or battery sourced EV mobile charger. Though, this might change in the future when western countries might have tapped the technology to make it profitable from Aliens.

However, a gasoline-powered DC or AC generator is a better alternative when your EV run out of power in an isolated area; you just have to be carrying the generator with you all the time and there are some compact gasoline generators you can get as a backup for your EV in places like Africa. In advanced countries, a phone call will get you emergency crew with these types of mobile EV generator chargers that will give you small juice, so you can get to the nearest charging station.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by TheOgaBoss: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2021
Saturn444:
Lagos is the worst place to drive electric car. Traffic is crazy, I think Akwa Ibom, Abuja are great.
Oga electric cars are not like ice cars, they so not consume power when idling in traffic, the owner simply did not charge his car.
Re: Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery by Hkff: 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2021
Nigerians and show off are five and six

Why bringing in a car that isn’t meant for this continent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Begs Profusely As A 2021 Gwagon Is Being Offloaded / The All New 2018 Audi A8 Is Here. It Comes With Foot Massaging Feature (photos) / Who Can Tell Us The Name Of This Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.