Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? (12035 Views)

Why Does Nigerian Police Check Points Always Looking Like This? (photo) / Aisha Buhari Still Missing From Nigerian Public, Five Months After / Restructure Nig. & Place Politians On Civil Service Salary Structure-nweze, Baje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 8:42am On Jan 02, 2022
Even if the salary is the highest in the world..... A THIEF IS ALWAYS A THEIF, UNTILL REPENTANCE.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by adeshola1(m): 8:48am On Jan 02, 2022
This has to be the dumbest post this year. So OP is really justifying corruption with outdated attachment from 2007

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by akigbemaru: 8:51am On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:
Most Nigerian are quick to scream blue murder whenever a political/public office holder is accused of corruption. But really, should we be so surprised?

In a country ravaged by inflation it is hard (if not near impossible) for a public servant not to dip hands into the nations coffers whenever the opportunity arises. When the President earns less than 1.2m naira monthly, imagine what others earn.

Judges/Ministers/Head of Service etc all earn just about 700,000 per month. It is from this salary they are expected to feed, cloth, pay medicals, transport take care of their children and family, including community and the hoard of Nigerian friends, allies, villagers etc that come seeking for financial assistance? Just look at the paltry salary structure according to RMFAC
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by abbeyty90: 8:52am On Jan 02, 2022
Why cant you ask yourself who are the cause of this inflation you are trying to use in defend of these self centered corrupt leaders?

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Horllamideh(m): 8:57am On Jan 02, 2022
I was even thinking you put forward this topic to bring the fore the plight of those at the lowest rung of the ladder in the public service and was disappointed. Someone collecting 560,000 naira with allowance running into millions in a year doesn't have any excuse for being corrupt. A police officer collecting less than 60,000 as monthly salary even has more excuse than such person.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by ogwuche4u(m): 9:07am On Jan 02, 2022
SmartProf:
Corruption results from insatiable greed, lack of contentment, and poor moral values...it's got nothing to do with what one earns...even those who are super rich can't control their appetite for more stolen wealth once their minds are corrupt. Know this and know peace.

You are Smart

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Sheriman(m): 9:11am On Jan 02, 2022
Na all the civil servants wey dey collect 30K to 100K I dey even expect not politicians.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by kponkedenge(m): 9:12am On Jan 02, 2022
ivolt:
Resign if your job can't cater to your needs.

There is no functioning country where government workers are among the super rich.
They range from lower class to middle class. However, the incompetent and criminally-minded
workers we have believe they should be competing with celebrities for life of luxury.

Some of them foolishly compare their salaries with Nigerian expats in more richer countries
when it is obvious that a countries wage depends on its economic power

Let us even consider our legislators who are the highest paid in the world.
Did their huge pay stop them from taking bribes or make them more independent?
Absolutely not. They look for every opportunity to engage in contract scam, funds diversion and others.

There is no society without corruption, the difference lies in how offenders are treated by law and
the society itself.

A sensible comment. I don't need to say anything else.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by afadi2410: 9:17am On Jan 02, 2022
SmartProf:
Corruption results from insatiable greed, lack of contentment, and poor moral values...it's got nothing to do with what one earns...even those who are super rich can't control their appetite for more stolen wealth once their minds are corrupt. Know this and know peace.

Mr contentment, can you truly be content with 30k a month salary?
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by SmartProf(m): 9:25am On Jan 02, 2022
afadi2410:

Mr contentment, can you truly be content with 30k a month salary?
You are a very myopic individual...Who stopped you from having other sources of income? Must u depend on only salary to make ends meet? Can't u be creative in generating multiple income sources? Don't think like an opportunist else u will steal.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Timoleon(m): 9:30am On Jan 02, 2022
I was shocked too. I had to reply him in hopes that he is innocently ignorant and willing to learn.
careytommy37:

When I saw the topic, I expected the OP's argument to be based on nonsense but i did not expect the bottom barrel nonsense I bolded.

3 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Osilama1: 9:30am On Jan 02, 2022
Timoleon:
The president earns 1.2m monthly, does he buy food? No paid for by Nigerians!, clothes? No, housing/rent, No! Travel? No, medical insurance? Special staff for every possible role you can think of at his beck and call. Multiple allowance yearly before the end of his tenor.
Is the seat of the two presidency a place of charity or a place of service?

You talk about judges,ministers etc. the same applies to them. Yes it’s a tough task being a judge. These judges however also enjoy huge bonuses when you compare it to the economic situation of the country. Multiple allowances( wardrobe, housing, cars they even get domestic staff all on government pocket). So why is 700k encouraging a lot person who is in a position to uphold moral values into corruption?

You talk about using their salary to take care of their community and their hoard of friends. Does it make sense to you? Did you think about it at all?

If you are concerned about the government salary structure encouraging corruption, I had hoped you were talking about staff in the lower cadre with no benefits other than their job security. Not the fat cats with huge bonuses and allowances.
I just tire Why should a public officer take care of other people's needs... Those community people can't they go and work?? That's why whenever someone is appionted to a position u see unnecessary entitlement like na our turn and it's Why some myopic minds ll ask where is Mohammed or chike or Osas or Ejiro or abiodun etc who has been appionted from... The salary is decent enough considering the tax accruing to govt and the fact that govt has to do other projects...

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Timoleon(m): 9:37am On Jan 02, 2022
The op is just really ignorant
Osilama1:
I just tire Why should a public officer take care of other people's needs... Those community people can't they go and work?? That's why whenever someone is appionted to a position u see unnecessary entitlement like na our turn and it's Why some myopic minds ll ask where is Mohammed or chike or Osas or Ejiro or abiodun etc who has been appionted from... The salary is decent enough considering the tax accruing to govt and the fact that govt has to do other projects...

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by MosiPeterz(m): 9:44am On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:
Most Nigerian are quick to scream blue murder whenever a political/public office holder is accused of corruption. But really, should we be so surprised?

In a country ravaged by inflation it is hard (if not near impossible) for a public servant not to dip hands into the nations coffers whenever the opportunity arises. When the President earns less than 1.2m naira monthly, imagine what others earn.

Judges/Ministers/Head of Service etc all earn just about 700,000 per month. It is from this salary they are expected to feed, cloth, pay medicals, transport take care of their children and family, including community and the hoard of Nigerian friends, allies, villagers etc that come seeking for financial assistance? Just look at the paltry salary structure according to RMFAC

Only an extremely corrupt and evil person would make this kind of comment. I rest my case.

3 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by matm: 9:55am On Jan 02, 2022
Administration1:
Young man, you do not have sufficient information, so just close this thread, the handler of the Presidency and someone else I know here, are the ones that can decide to open this kind of thread, BUT it might not happen soon as we are still under.

At least his little research and effort is better than none.
The world of information is open,u can come up with yours as well before waiting for the people at helm of affairs to come up with thiers.
Let the truth be told,workers salaries should be increased the way Electricity bill,petroleum products,food prices are beign increased.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by matm: 9:58am On Jan 02, 2022
Civil servants of low cader are really languishing in penury with 30k and less monthly.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by altteemy: 9:58am On Jan 02, 2022
I am more bothered about the corruption caused by delay in salaries.

At least, they know their salary when they were employed but when they are owed 6 months or one year salary and are still expected to appear at work (meanwhile their terms include not doing any other side business except agric related), it is almost as if they are indirectly told to "use what you have to get what you want".

In short, government itself encouraged civil/public service corruption
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Kimikazi2: 10:03am On Jan 02, 2022
Timoleon:
The president earns 1.2m monthly, does he buy food? No paid for by Nigerians!, clothes? No, housing/rent, No! Travel? No, medical insurance? Special staff for every possible role you can think of at his beck and call. Multiple allowance yearly before the end of his tenor.

You talk about judges,ministers etc. the same applies to them. Yes it’s a tough task being a judge. These judges however also enjoy huge bonuses when you compare it to the economic situation of the country. Multiple allowances( wardrobe, housing, cars they even get domestic staff all on government pocket). So why is 700k encouraging a lot person who is in a position to uphold moral values into corruption?

You talk about using their salary to take care of their community and their hoard of friends. Does it make sense to you? Did you think about it at all?

If you are concerned about the government salary structure encouraging corruption, I had hoped you were talking about staff in the lower cadre with no benefits other than their job security. Not the fat cats with huge bonuses and allowances.
Jah bless you for this comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by GROWTHSET(m): 10:27am On Jan 02, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Corruption has a LOT to do with what one earns..
Stop sugarcoating things and call a spade a spade..
Everything is not black and white..
If you don't pay people well..
Common sense dictates..
That they would look for ways to augment their paltry salary..
Some might look for legitimate means to do that..
And some might gravitate towards corruption..
You pay a man 20K in this economy..
You expect him to work from morning till night..
Without a chance to legitimately augment his salary somewhere..
And you think such a person would not start thinking of what to do..
To make ends meet?
You missed the point,The argument is if you claimed people indulge in public looting because of poor salary.
Why are rich one looting,I am sure you are aware of some formal governor in Prison now.Are they poor.
Lack of value is the problem

3 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by DarkJeddi(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2022
GROWTHSET:

You missed the point,The argument is if you claimed people indulge in public looting because of poor salary.
Why are rich one looting,I am sure you are aware of some formal governor in Prison now.Are they poor.
Lack of value is the problem
I acknowledge the fact that many that are corrupt..

Are so by nature..

Am just trying to point out that many are also pushed into corrupt practices..

By the circumstances they find themselves in..

It's not a black and white thing..
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 02, 2022
RESIGN and start business.

Work Culture Zero.
Financial analysis Zero.
Team Work Zero.

If you don't like the job, RESIGN. And stop being a spanner in the wheel of government progress.

Actually saw one jumping up that they do little but get paid much.

You can imagine this one creating silly thread here. When you know you are not adding any value on the job you are doing.

Replace yourself with a WAEC holder, the job will still get done. Unless you are a director.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by akdjr(m): 10:52am On Jan 02, 2022
The whole system Nigeria encourage corruption. A country without proper regulation, control, policies that conform with the reality can never survive without corruption.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 11:16am On Jan 02, 2022
Timoleon:

Most of what u said doesn't tally with reality. It is true that the president doesn't pay for food and medical fees, but also remember that that is only for the 4years (max 8years) in office. There are CEOs in this country who have just lunch with the entire president's salary. And he's supposed to be no. 1 in the country. How can u pay someone 1million per month and then put the person in charge of tens of trillions and say he shouldn't steal Even if he doesn't need any material thing personality, what of the tens of thousands of persons dependent on him and his position Does that make sense.

And no, ministers and judges do not enjoy the same privileges as the president!
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2022
MosiPeterz:

Only an extremely corrupt and evil person would make this kind of comment. I rest my case.

I know that this is the maximum limit of your intelligence, just to throw insults!
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 11:24am On Jan 02, 2022
SmartProf:

You are only partially right. But greed is not the only cause of corruption. Lack of resources is even more powerful. You can't be earning 100naira and they give u 2million to manage and u say u won't steal. Meanwhile ur children are out of school, your pregnant wife can't keep up with medicals, rent is due, car broken down etc. That's unrealistic!
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 11:27am On Jan 02, 2022
Osilama1:

But if they make you uncle or dad a minister today, u will be the first in line to demand new car and trips abroad. Can we stop this hypocrisy for once!
Same minister u are paying 650k is the one u want to manage 60billion for u and u expect he won't steal Who is deceiving whom? The money for election will come from where?? Smh

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by badman007(m): 11:38am On Jan 02, 2022
We are all Almagiri
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Timoleon(m): 11:52am On Jan 02, 2022
I’m sorry for whoever paid for your education. From your logic, the cashier who works in a bank for less than 75k a month is justified for stealing from a bank where billions of Naira is transacted?
The presidency and all public office is not a place of enjoyment, it’s a place of service. That’s why they are called public servants. Now that asside, the president’s feeding allowance the last time I checked was budgeted at 2.4 million Naira per day! Which ceo is spending that on their meal?
That aside, you talked about the president having max 8years. You obviously do are ignorant of the fact that all ex presidents/deputy enjoy a pension forever. Meaning that Nigerians will feed them and their families forever.

Add to this the fact that former presidents and their deputies are, at the expense of the federal government, entitled to at least six security details and personal aides; well-furnished office and a five-bedroom apartment in any location of their choice; vehicles replaceable every four years; diplomatic passport for life; free medical treatment, which may be abroad where necessary, for themselves and their immediate families; thirty days all-expense-paid annual vacation within and outside Nigeria.

Not forgetting that these ex presidents also get 500k per seating for each council of state meeting they attend. There are usually at least two of these per year.

True the bonuses and allowances available for ministers and commissioners are certainly not equal to that of the president just as that of the vp is not equal to that of the president. The fact is that they do enjoy these bonuses and allowances which are many times more than their salaries.

Please go and have concrete information before coming to quote me about things that tally with reality.
blackpanda:

Most of what u said doesn't tally with reality. It is true that the president doesn't pay for food and medical fees, but also remember that that is only for the 4years (max 8years) in office. There are CEOs in this country who have just lunch with the entire president's salary. And he's supposed to be no. 1 in the country. How can u pay someone 1million per month and then put the person in charge of tens of trillions and say he shouldn't steal Even if he doesn't need any material thing personality, what of the tens of thousands of persons dependent on him and his position Does that make sense.

And no, ministers and judges do not enjoy the same privileges as the president!

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by pacespot(m): 12:12pm On Jan 02, 2022
Jobs are now the best way to steal money from the treachery in Nigeria. Give the high paying jobs with no justifiable pay to only the rich and political class, then the rest are left to fight for the little crumbs left on the table that the rich cannot do, e.g, N-power.

I heard some people are now paying several millions of Naira just to get a slot in most of the high paying federal jobs. How many Nigerians can afford such a payment?
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by XRJP: 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2022
post=109007712:
Kick them lazy mofos Out of the out NOW.

The below will really go a long way to sanitize our nation.

a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders pay CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

We pray we get there someday!

If only these were possible....

Putting corrupt individuals in a position to judge and reprimand themselves in this regard cheesy
Clearly, no success will be recorded
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:20pm On Jan 02, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Corruption has a LOT to do with what one earns..
Stop sugarcoating things and call a spade a spade..
Everything is not black and white..
If you don't pay people well..
Common sense dictates..
That they would look for ways to augment their paltry salary..
Some might look for legitimate means to do that..
And some might gravitate towards corruption..
You pay a man 20K in this economy..
You expect him to work from morning till night..
Without a chance to legitimately augment his salary somewhere..
And you think such a person would not start thinking of what to do..
To make ends meet?
now u talking & making sense
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2022
SmartProf:

You are a very myopic individual...Who stopped you from having other sources of income? Must u depend on only salary to make ends meet? Can't u be creative in generating multiple income sources? Don't think like an opportunist else u will steal.
opportunistic mindset is almost the same as the entrepreneurial mindset.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Appeal Court Bars PDP From Conducting Fresh Primaries In Ihedioha's Constituency / Multiple Explosions & Gunfire Rock Gombe / Biafra Anniversary: Police Arrest 10 MASSOB, BIM Members In Portharcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.