Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? (12037 Views)

Why Does Nigerian Police Check Points Always Looking Like This? (photo) / Aisha Buhari Still Missing From Nigerian Public, Five Months After / Restructure Nig. & Place Politians On Civil Service Salary Structure-nweze, Baje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by AlphaT1(m): 12:46pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:
Most Nigerian are quick to scream blue murder whenever a political/public office holder is accused of corruption. But really, should we be so surprised?

In a country ravaged by inflation it is hard (if not near impossible) for a public servant not to dip hands into the nations coffers whenever the opportunity arises. When the President earns less than 1.2m naira monthly, imagine what others earn.

Judges/Ministers/Head of Service etc all earn just about 700,000 per month. It is from this salary they are expected to feed, cloth, pay medicals, transport take care of their children and family, including community and the hoard of Nigerian friends, allies, villagers etc that come seeking for financial assistance? Just look at the paltry salary structure according to RMFAC
OP is probably a paid e-thug of APC. I thought the headline was referring to poor civil servants. This one no know wetin him de write. Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
careytommy37:

When I saw the topic, I expected the OP's argument to be based on nonsense but i did not expect the bottom barrel nonsense I bolded.

It's unfortunate.....cursed be his name.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Scientheosopher(m): 1:04pm On Jan 02, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Corruption has a LOT to do with what one earns..
Stop sugarcoating things and call a spade a spade..
Everything is not black and white..
If you don't pay people well..
Common sense dictates..
That they would look for ways to augment their paltry salary..
Some might look for legitimate means to do that..
And some might gravitate towards corruption..
You pay a man 20K in this economy..
You expect him to work from morning till night..
Without a chance to legitimately augment his salary somewhere..
And you think such a person would not start thinking of what to do..
To make ends meet?

Yet the same common sense doesn't dictate that resignation is an option!

No one's forcing them to work, but their own desires. If a desire can't be fulfilled in a particular lawful way, the right thing to do is for one to look for another lawful way and not by taking or giving bribe. This is often hard. But it's the lawful and moral course if one wishes for a better society.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 1:05pm On Jan 02, 2022
Timoleon:
I’m sorry for whoever paid for your education. From your logic, the cashier who works in a bank for less than 75k a month is justified for stealing from a bank where billions of Naira is transacted?
The presidency and all public office is not a place of enjoyment, it’s a place of service. That’s why they are called public servants. Now that asside, the president’s feeding allowance the last time I checked was budgeted at 2.4 million Naira per day! Which ceo is spending that on their meal?
That aside, you talked about the president having max 8years. You obviously do are ignorant of the fact that all ex presidents/deputy enjoy a pension forever. Meaning that Nigerians will feed them and their families forever.

Add to this the fact that former presidents and their deputies are, at the expense of the federal government, entitled to at least six security details and personal aides; well-furnished office and a five-bedroom apartment in any location of their choice; vehicles replaceable every four years; diplomatic passport for life; free medical treatment, which may be abroad where necessary, for themselves and their immediate families; thirty days all-expense-paid annual vacation within and outside Nigeria.

Not forgetting that these ex presidents also get 500k per seating for each council of state meeting they attend. There are usually at least two of these per year.

True the bonuses and allowances available for ministers and commissioners are certainly not equal to that of the president just as that of the vp is not equal to that of the president. The fact is that they do enjoy these bonuses and allowances which are many times more than their salaries.

Please go and have concrete information before coming to quote me about things that tally with reality.

I understand that these figures seem huge relative to your pedigree. But even if that's true, 500k is peanuts to a president that controls 17trillion budget!
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by stanisbaratheon: 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2022
The politicians and their appointees earn more than the bureaucrats.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Osilama1: 2:25pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:

But if they make you uncle or dad a minister today, u will be the first in line to demand new car and trips abroad. Can we stop this hypocrisy for once!
Same minister u are paying 650k is the one u want to manage 60billion for u and u expect he won't steal Who is deceiving whom? The money for election will come from where?? Smh
why do u want to steal money that belongs to everyone??... Have u ever bothered to ask why people Love buhari so much cos he has high integrity man has been gorvenor, minister ptf chair etc yet see how modest his life is...
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Osilama1: 2:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:

I understand that these figures seem huge relative to your pedigree. But even if that's true, 500k is peanuts to a president that controls 17trillion budget!
that's why people voted someone like buhari cos atiku for go continue his stealing grin shocked
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Hassanmaye(m): 4:00pm On Jan 02, 2022
folks4luv:
This has to be the dumbest post I'll read on Nairaland in my more than 12 years of being a member.
What is the current minimum wage of Nigeria? 30k.
A country with such a meagre minimum wage is doing poorly with top public servants earning between 1.2 million and 700k (according to your example)?

Nigerians pay even for newspapers the president is supposedly reading. We pay for his kitchen utensils, food he eats, barbers appointment and you still think his salary is too small and thus justifying stealing? What can be crazier than that?
So a graduate earning 30k is. Not facing the current economic realities? ��‍♂️

Na wa for the way some people reason o.
lol its painful so painful

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Gullibility represented in so many sentences.

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by evansjeff(m): 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:
Most Nigerian are quick to scream blue murder whenever a political/public office holder is accused of corruption. But really, should we be so surprised?

In a country ravaged by inflation it is hard (if not near impossible) for a public servant not to dip hands into the nations coffers whenever the opportunity arises. When the President earns less than 1.2m naira monthly, imagine what others earn.

Judges/Ministers/Head of Service etc all earn just about 700,000 per month. It is from this salary they are expected to feed, cloth, pay medicals, transport take care of their children and family, including community and the hoard of Nigerian friends, allies, villagers etc that come seeking for financial assistance? Just look at the paltry salary structure according to RMFAC

Please reply me with the images, I couldn’t view it in the front page
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by seguno2: 7:21pm On Jan 02, 2022
ivolt:
Let us even consider our legislators who are the highest paid in the world..

Nigerian legislators are paid higher than oyinbo legislators?
Do you know what you are talking about
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by seguno2: 7:22pm On Jan 02, 2022
post=109007712:
Kick them lazy mofos Out of the out NOW.

The below will really go a long way to sanitize our nation.

a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders pay CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

We pray we get there someday!

Is Buhari one of the mofos to be kicked out now

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackpanda:

pls what is the minimum wage for an average Nigerian worker? Abeg go sit down. Your argument is a waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by ivolt: 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2022
seguno2:

Nigerian legislators are paid higher than oyinbo legislators?
Do you know what you are talking about
Yes.
Do you have problem with facts?
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Idaytesj29(m): 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
Timoleon:
The president earns 1.2m monthly, does he buy food? No paid for by Nigerians!, clothes? No, housing/rent, No! Travel? No, medical insurance? Special staff for every possible role you can think of at his beck and call. Multiple allowance yearly before the end of his tenor.
Is the seat of the presidency a place of charity or a place of service?

You talk about judges,ministers etc. the same applies to them. Yes it’s a tough task being a judge. These judges however also enjoy huge bonuses when you compare it to the economic situation of the country. Multiple allowances( wardrobe, housing, cars they even get domestic staff all on government pocket). So why is 700k encouraging a person who is in a position to uphold moral values into corruption?

You talk about using their salary to take care of their community and their hoard of friends. Does it make sense to you? Did you think about it at all?

If you are concerned about the government salary structure encouraging corruption, I had hoped you were talking about staff in the lower cadre with no benefits other than their job security. Not the fat cats with huge bonuses and allowances.

Don't be too quick to shut down his point. He just didn't know how best to present it. He has a point. Our reward system is poor and encourages corruption

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Idaytesj29(m): 9:43pm On Jan 02, 2022
SmartProf:
Corruption results from insatiable greed, lack of contentment, and poor moral values...it's got nothing to do with what one earns...even those who are super rich can't control their appetite for more stolen wealth once their minds are corrupt. Know this and know peace.
"Once their minds are corrupt" - meaning they didn't started it out corrupt. The system comes to mind here bro.
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Idaytesj29(m): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2022
ivolt:
Resign if your job can't cater to your needs.

There is no functioning country where government workers are among the super rich.
They range from lower class to middle class. However, some incompetent and criminally-minded
workers we have believe they should be competing with celebrities for a life of luxury.

Some of them foolishly compare their salaries with Nigerian expats in more richer countries
when it is obvious that a countries wage depends on its economic power.

Let us even consider our legislators who are the highest paid in the world.
Did their huge pay stop them from taking bribes or make them more independent?
Absolutely not. They look for every opportunity to engage in contract scam, funds diversion and others.

There is no society without corruption, the difference lies in how offenders are treated by law and
the society itself.

Legislators cannot be compares to civil servants. They are in different worlds
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by Timoleon(m): 12:13am On Jan 03, 2022
I did not shut down his point. If he was concerned about those in the lower cadre(which I stated in my response to him), he would have made more sense but talking about people who enjoy a lifetime benefit paid for by Nigerians as being underpaid is talking out of point really. Below is my other response to him

Timoleon:
I’m sorry for whoever paid for your education. From your logic, the cashier who works in a bank for less than 75k a month is justified for stealing from a bank where billions of Naira is transacted?
The presidency and all public office is not a place of enjoyment, it’s a place of service. That’s why they are called public servants. Now that asside, the president’s feeding allowance the last time I checked was budgeted at 2.4 million Naira per day! Which ceo is spending that on their meal?
That aside, you talked about the president having max 8years. You obviously are ignorant of the fact that all ex presidents/deputy enjoy a pension forever. Meaning that Nigerians will feed them and their families forever.

Add to this the fact that former presidents and their deputies are, at the expense of the federal government, entitled to at least six security details and personal aides; well-furnished office and a five-bedroom apartment in any location of their choice; vehicles replaceable every four years; diplomatic passport for life; free medical treatment, which may be abroad where necessary, for themselves and their immediate families; thirty days all-expense-paid annual vacation within and outside Nigeria.

Not forgetting that these ex presidents also get 500k per seating for each council of state meeting they attend. There are usually at least two of these per year.

True the bonuses and allowances available for ministers and commissioners are certainly not equal to that of the president just as that of the vp is not equal to that of the president. The fact is that they do enjoy these bonuses and allowances which are many times more than their salaries.

Please go and have concrete information before coming to quote me about things that tally with reality.
Idaytesj29:

Don't be too quick to shut down his point. He just didn't know how best to present it. He has a point. Our reward system is poor and encourages corruption

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by blackpanda: 1:54am On Jan 03, 2022
franciskaine:
pls what is the minimum wage for an average Nigerian worker? Abeg go sit down. Your argument is a waste of time.

Ok but here u are. Apparently it isnt
Re: Does Nigerian Public Service Salary Structure not Encourage Corruption? by seguno2: 3:01am On Jan 03, 2022
ivolt:
Yes.
Do you have problem with facts?

How much do American legislators earn compared to what we give our legislators

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyegun: 99 Percent Of APC Presidential Aspirants Agreed To Consensus / Ugwuanyi Visits Freed Former SSG, Dr. Shere, Inspects Lejja-aku Road / 2023 Election: Results From Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.