Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? (852 Views)

My Fiancee Doesn't Want To Court Marriage (registry) / What's The Advantage Of A Court Wedding To Men? / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 02, 2022
Hello room. My marriage is about 2 years now and I have experienced and learnt alot from peoples marriage and online . My marriage is okay for now but if I were to advice anyone. Please don’t do a court marriage. I am still regretting it

Everything is going well in my marriage because I am financially okay. But I feel I am in a trap because if I die today everything belongs to my spouse (nothing for my dad or siblings. )
I didn’t realize this earlier

To cut the story short.
After my court marriage. Can I still write a will on how to share my properties ?

I am not dying soon. It is just a precaution thought
Thanks. Any advice is welcomed
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Mynd44: 11:07am On Jan 02, 2022
Whether you are married or not, a will is valid and stays valid as long as said properties are yours to will out

2 Likes

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Amotolongbo(f): 11:14am On Jan 02, 2022
If you have the properties registered in your names, willing them out is valid.

This is how to know a man whose wife has got no substantial contribution to his life and home than marital.

3 Likes

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Freelane33(m): 11:37am On Jan 02, 2022
Learning

1 Like

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by esthel(f): 11:44am On Jan 02, 2022
When a person with a Will dies it means he died Testate, if he died without a Will that means he died intestate, here your property can not be shared except with a Letter of Administration from the Probate Registry of the High Court of the state where you are domiciled. So if no Will that letter is given to your spouse to administer the properties left behind.

So if you have a Will it will be shared according to how you want.

But why are you the one willing to your father,are you going before him. Your siblings too can work for theirs.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Polaris1: 11:54am On Jan 02, 2022
The best marriage is a properly conducted and documented court marriage.

A proper Will filed in a probate court ensures that your assets are distributed to only people that you choose in your Will.

After your demise, an Executor that you must have named in your Will will supervise the distribution of your assets to only those identified in your Will.
If you haven't named an Executor, an Administrator will be appointed for your assets by the probate court.

Without a Will, or a poorly prepared will, you assets should pass-on to your Heirs (Typically your spouse and children)

A Will is not a written document that you keep in your wardrobe, It must be properly prepared and filed in a probate court.
It is best to consult a probate lawyer familiar with the processes in your locality.
I am not a lawyer.

I don't know why you don't want your wife to inherit your assets, but I expect it to be tough convincing a judge with clear and valid arguments that your wife should be excluded.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Afamsi: 11:57am On Jan 02, 2022
esthel:
When a person with a Will dies it means he died Testate, if he died without a Will that means he died intestate, here your property can not be shared except with a Letter of Administration from the Probate Registry of the High Court of the state where you are domiciled. So if no Will that letter is given to your spouse to administer the properties left behind.

So if you have a Will it will be shared according to how you want.

But why are you the one willing to your father,are you going before him. Your siblings too can work for theirs.

Is there any need for the man to submit the will to the same court for approval or disapproval?
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by esthel(f): 12:05pm On Jan 02, 2022
Afamsi:
Is there any need for the man to submit the will to the same court for approval or disapproval?
yes ,your Will is deposited at the probate registry.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
Thanks so much room. I have meant a lot. I was thinking of filling a prenuptial agreement but I realized that could destroy my marriage. All I need to do now is make my wills since it is valid after marriage
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by sisisioge: 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackmamber:
Thanks so much room. I have meant a lot. I was thinking of filling a prenuptial agreement but I realized that could destroy my marriage. All I need to do now is make my wills since it is valid after marriage

It is well. You are the one that knows what you see sha o. But my idea of marriage is usually with a person one loves and care for totally. A person one wants to give everything to including one's life. This has always been my dream...may God really bless us fa. It is well.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
sisisioge:

It is well. You are the one that knows what you see sha o. But my idea of marriage is usually with a person one loves and care for totally. A person one wants to give everything to including one's life. This has always been my dream...may God really bless us fa. It is well.

My brother if you know woman ehh. You go understand better. They don’t worry it.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by greenie77: 3:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackmamber:
Hello room. My marriage is about 2 years now and I have experienced and learnt alot from peoples marriage and online . My marriage is okay for now but if I were to advice anyone. Please don’t do a court marriage. I am still regretting it

Everything is going well in my marriage because I am financially okay. But I feel I am in a trap because if I die today everything belongs to my spouse (nothing for my dad or siblings. )

To cut the story short.
After my court marriage. Can I still write a will on how to share my properties ?

Why should your siblings and possibly their families' welfare be more of a concern to you than that of your wife and children?

2 Likes

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Acidosis(m): 3:32pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackmamber:

To cut the story short.

Why are you bothered about what goes to your siblings? Don't you want to have kids? Can your siblings take care of your kids better than their mother? Don't let what you read online destroy you.

1 Like

Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by eazzzy1(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2022
The gentleman has not said he doesn’t want to leave anything to his wife, he just doesn’t want her to have everything.

Most women do not include their husbands in their wills, it’s about time men start thinking with their heads. Set up a trust fund for your kids, when they turn 21 they can access the fund without your wife acting as an intermediary.

No one knows the time of his death, there’s no guarantee you will outlive your parents, make provision for them in your will, you can always edit the content of your will as changes occur. Make provision for your nieces and nephews, siblings and even friends who you find worthy.

Leave something for your wife if you think she’s deserving. That’s totally dependent on the kind of person she is. it’s not an obligation and you absolutely do not owe it to her.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2022
blackmamber:

Everything is going well in my marriage because I am financially okay. But I feel I am in a trap because if I die today everything belongs to my spouse (nothing for my dad or siblings. ) I didn’t realize this earlier

To cut the story short.

Op, your problem isn't Court marriage but conc case of illiteracy! undecided
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by greenie77: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
eazzzy1:
The gentleman has not said he doesn’t want to leave anything to his wife, he just doesn’t want her to have everything.

Most women do not include their husbands in their wills, it’s about time men start thinking with their heads. Set up a trust fund for your kids, when they turn 21 they can access the fund without your wife acting as an intermediary.

No one knows the time of his death, there’s no guarantee you will outlive your parents, make provision for them in your will, you can always edit the content of your will as changes occur. Make provision for your nieces and nephews, siblings and even friends who you find worthy.

Leave something for your wife if you think she’s deserving. That’s totally dependent on the kind of person she is. it’s not an obligation and you absolutely do not owe it to her.

Do your nieces and nephews also have to turn 21 before they can access the provisions you made for them, without your brother's wife or sister's husband acting as an intermediary?
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by eazzzy1(m): 8:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
greenie77:

Do your nieces and nephews also have to turn 21 before they can access the provisions you made for them, without your brother's wife or sister's husband acting as an intermediary?

Most definitely. This will give the fund time to compound and make sure the beneficiaries of the fund are the actual beneficiaries.
Re: Is Will Valid After A Court Marriage ? by kazyhm(m): 8:25pm On Jan 02, 2022
It is actually disheartening and depression to leave behind everything you earned with your sweat and blood for someone that frustrated and nagged you all your life....while those that consoled and comported you during your sad moments go to hell.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How A Woman Accused Me Of Wanting To Kidnapped Her Children / Is This Mother Right/wrong / Help: Fresh Catfish Pepper Soup With Yam During Rainstorm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.