Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,003 members, 7,838,516 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

My Governor And My King - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Governor And My King (214 Views)

See My Governor Looking Fit, Classy, Smart And Well-Fed (picture) / My Governor Has Been Served A Very Hot Breakfast / Udom Emmanuel Remains My Governor And A Godfather To My Children, Says Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Governor And My King by lordekenzo: 4:50pm On Jan 02, 2022
Somebody close to Gov. Wike should urgently advise him that no traditional ruler in Rivers State owes allegiance to the Government of Rivers State; like every citizen, their allegiance is to the Constitution of Nigeria ��, the Culture pursuant to which they were installed and their people. This is Rivers State.

Our Governor is alleged to have said:

"Let me also remind all Government recognized traditional rulers that they are, at all times, subject to the authority and directives of the State Government and not to other allegiances, culture or otherwise"

... he is further alleged to have said:

"Should they therefore continue to absent themselves from State functions or in the regular meetings and activities of the State Traditional Rulers Council, we would have no option that to direct their immediate replacement"

The Rivers State Government may or may not recognize any traditional ruler: however, their legitimacy is derived from their people, and subject only to the court of competent jurisdiction.

Somebody should urgently tell Gov Wike that one of the purposes of State recognition of traditional rulers is to preserve culture, and never to undermine it, and the plurality of culture in Nigeria is one of the reasons why the chieftaincy institution lacks constitutional mandate or authority in general.

The Governor of any State in Nigeria cannot be a law unto himself. No law in Nigeria renders any traditional ruler in Rivers State answerable to any authority other than the court, law enforcement agencies and the culture they represent and protect, and certainly not the person or office of the Governor of Rivers State.

The Governor should know that these traditional rulers lead a people vested with the right to self determination pursuant to international treaties to which Nigeria is signatory, especially the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.

The Governor should know that like every other citizens of Nigeria, every traditional ruler in Rivers State enjoys the full dose of Fundamental Human Rights as prescribed by the Constitution of Nigeria, and such rights include Freedom of Association and Freedom of Movement, and the office of the Governor is not vested with the powers to limit or curtail these Rights.

It is important that our Governor be advised that he has approximately fifteen months to continue to be Governor, and these months has better been used to should respect not only to the citizens, and in the circumstances, traditional rulers, but also to the revered office of Governor.

It is important to be emphatic that if the impulses of irrationality is condoned, he also would be subjected to the same powers upon which irrationality is attempting to be deployed.

We are Rivers people, and our traditional thrones are representative of our very own ancestors, whom we owe respect and love, more than we owe ourselves.

Any traditional rulers has the right whether or not to attend any function, whether State or not. The Governor cannot broadcast laws into being.

PLEASE RESPECT OUR KINGS

By Douglas Waserite Dodiyi-Manuel
Re: My Governor And My King by shadeze: 4:55pm On Jan 02, 2022
Go and read your constitution, it gives the government the power to remove and appoint traditional rulers. Even first class traditional rulers are subject to removal and appointment of the government.

(1) (Reply)

I Ended Relationship With Prophet After Fearful Prophecy Against Me–femi Adesina / Gunmen Kill Ebubeagu Operative, Set Body Ablaze In Ebonyi / Portable Spray #1m On Olosho... Hangs With Burna Boy, Phyno, Timaya Etc (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.