Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,655 members, 7,813,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Music PR Companies - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Music PR Companies (2263 Views)

PR And Public Figures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music PR Companies by brucewayne26: 2:05am On Jan 03, 2022
So I’m at the stage with some of my artists where we were looking to enlist a music pr company in the uk.
My experience so far is mixed it’s almost like they seem to think they are somehow making and breaking the artists as opposed to simply being a PR whose job is to handle focussed campaigns.
I have in the course of my IT work had dealings with non music related PR companies I’m wondering whether or not they are better suited than the music ones.
Oh and if you have any recommendation please chime in and share your experiences.
Thanks
Re: Music PR Companies by ChloeKerr: 2:06am On Jan 03, 2022
R Companies? Really, in 2021?

You're maybe 30 years behind the times and don't know how the business has been operating since online file sharing virtually bankrupted most recording companies and all their PR people. There are a Few companies out there which are still legitimate but most are only going to be beneficial to a band which is already profitable. They're like bank that want to loan you money when after you've already become a millionaire. Sure you can hire people to rip you off after you've already become a success.

PR was used mostly for getting radio airplay back in the day. You'd get a PR person to bribe the radio stations to get your music played. Today? Hell, most people get their music off their cell phones and interment now. They don't even buy albums. They may at most pay a music service to download new music (if they're honest) The rest get their music off You tube. What good is a PR person going to do for you off the internet? Absolutely nothing. Most bands build and maintain their own websites and even sell their own CD's from that site. The old model where you're take a bank loan from a major recording company to record an album and have them promote you on tours doesn't exist any more.

If you want proof, just look to see what bands are touring this year. You'll find mostly dinosaur acts and a few unknown bands who snagged a ride on the old circuit system. Beyond that's about it. Recording can be done on a local basis, mixed and mastered professionally for a fraction of what it used to cost. Then the music goes on a music service on line. If you sell a million copies you might make a couple of grand and maybe someone will book you for live gigs where you make most of your money.

Maybe someone's experience differs but PR people in a digital world are about as useless as it gets with all the pro end bands I know. Most do their own PR work obviously because they couldn't afford to pay all the freeloaders they used to deal with under the old system.
Re: Music PR Companies by SamPeters: 2:07am On Jan 03, 2022
I am a music producer, and I tried promoting my music on Tidal. To be honest, I just lost money for no reason. I didn't get anything in return. I started promoting it on Instagram, Youtube, and Tiktok, and that's when I actually got an audience. Also Soundcloud! I can't forget about it. My advice, post your work on different platforms and connect with people on Soundcloud. Similar artists. People with a good amount of followers repost similar music. Message them, send a track, be kind and honest. This way I even got the chance to have consert tours, so I'm forever grateful!

(1) (Reply)

Somalis Are Proud Africans NOT Black / X / Domestic Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.