Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language (795 Views)

In This Scenario, What Would You Teach Your Child? / Five Ways To Teach Your Kids Table Manners / 13 Things You Need To Teach Your “girl Child” At An Early Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Paramount01(m): 4:55am On Jan 04, 2022
Good morning parents,I am planning to marry this year but the problem is not my tribe and I will love my kids to hear my language, how possible is it since my wife don't understand my language either.how can I teach them knowing fully well I will not be with the at all time and it is called mother's toungue.
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by greenie77: 5:28am On Jan 04, 2022
Paramount01:
Good morning parents,I am planning to marry this year but the problem is not my tribe and I will love my kids to hear my language, how possible is it since my wife don't understand my language either.how can I teach them knowing fully well I will not be with the at all time and it is called mother's toungue.

You have to be deliberate about it, make effort to communicate to your kids in your language when around them.

But reality is, mothers are the transmitters of language.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Opeyemiextra(f): 5:32am On Jan 04, 2022
First, is your wife interested in learning your language? If she is then it would be a lot easier. If not, the bulk of the work is on you then.
Secondly, are you in an area that can enhance them learning the language? If yes, great but if not it falls on you, again.
There are kids in the abroad and even here who learn languages of their fathers. It would be a little difficult but
... Compose songs in your language for them
... Write and tell them traditional stories in it. You may want to write some down too.
... Whenever you are with the kids, speak to them with it.
P. S this should begin before the child can speak or even understand anything.
Paramount01:

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Paramount01(m): 5:45am On Jan 04, 2022
Opeyemiextra:
First, is your wife interested in learning your language? If she is then it would be a lot easier. If not, the bulk of the work is on you then.
Secondly, are you in an area that can enhance them learning the language? If yes, great but if not it falls on you, again.
There are kids in the abroad and even here who learn languages of their fathers. It would be a little difficult but
... Compose songs in your language for them
... Write and tell them traditional stories in it. You may want to write some down too.
... Whenever you are with the kids, speak to them with it.
P. S this should begin before the child can speak or even understand anything.
Thanks for your respond
I don't leave where the language are widely spoken per say apart from few people in my church

My wife is willing to learn indact she can speak some few jargons correctly is just that with the nature of my job I can't be staying with this kids for long compare to my wife. My wife is another tribe from me the environment speak another language also and I want them to ear it all including my own
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by harbibi: 6:38am On Jan 04, 2022
When ever you are with them speak your language to them and gesticulate while doing so so they grab what you mean.
If they still don't understand then interpret.
Continue this way they will pickup with time.
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by ogub(m): 7:36am On Jan 04, 2022
You teach them by teaching them
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by SanctifiedSista(f): 11:32am On Jan 04, 2022
Teach them by making them go to a language school wen they are older
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by missdee23(f): 1:04pm On Jan 04, 2022
Best way for them to learn is to have you speak to them in your native language right from when they are babies and they'll pick up from there. In fact, they might probably be better at it than your wife though she has a longer headstart than them. Children can learn multiple languages, not so easy for adults (too many things to worry about cheesy). They can even learn yours, your wife's with the English language.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Paramount01(m): 1:37pm On Jan 04, 2022
SanctifiedSista:
Teach them by making them go to a language school wen they are older

To learn Nigeria local language in Nigeria.
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Paramount01(m): 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2022
missdee23:
Best way for them to learn is to have you speak to them in your native language right from when they are babies and they'll pick up from there. In fact, they might probably be better at it than your wife though she has a longer headstart than them. Children can learn multiple languages, not so easy for adults (too many things to worry about cheesy). They can even learn yours, your wife's with the English
language.

That is what I want but the way to go about it is what u don't know,since I won't be too attached to them like their mother
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by frozen70(f): 7:52pm On Jan 05, 2022
Paramount01:

For the fact that she is not from your tribe, you have to start teaching her your language and make sure that she is willing and interested in learning your language

Secondly, you will have to be traveling with your family to your village on vacation, if your parents are residence there to interact with them and learn more about your language and culture

But whatever be the case, which ever language your wife speaks is what your children will speak

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 05, 2022
I always think about this. Can't even speak my own language properly and I 'm very ashamed of it. Vowed my children won't be like me.

To the OP, start speaking your language to your child as soon as they r born. Resist from speaking to them in English or pidgin but in your language always. Even your wife should do so in her own language.
Hence, your child would grow up to understand two different languages.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by SeaTrade(m): 12:01am On Jan 06, 2022
Go drop them for village grin
I go village the other day,2 years children the kind hard-core igbo weh dey come out from their small mouths shock me.
Shi nga futa everywhere...very very clear grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by greenie77: 7:35am On Jan 06, 2022
SeaTrade:
I go village the other day,2 years children the kind hard-core igbo weh dey come out from their small mouths shock me.

Children soak up the language of the environment.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Mariangeles(f): 9:18am On Jan 06, 2022
SeaTrade:

Shi nga futa! grin
Sheybi you be Anambra guy?
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Mariangeles(f): 9:24am On Jan 06, 2022
Paramount01:

Always speak your language to your children, and they'd learn.

We learnt how to speak Igbo from my dad, and not my mum.
While growing up, we only spoke English, then my dad called us one time and said from then on, whatever we wanted to ask or say to him should only be spoken in Igbo.
At first, it was so hard, we would mix in some English.
We would take long trying to explain ourselves, but my dad had the patience and it paid off.
We only communicate with my dad in Igbo till today.
No be only mothers dey raise children.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Truvelisback(m): 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2022
Paramount01:
Talk to ur kids in ur language and always visit ur village with ur kids.
Re: How Can You Teach Your Child Your Language by Paramount01(m): 10:24pm On Jan 06, 2022
Mariangeles:

Always speak your language to your children, and they'd learn.

We learnt how to speak Igbo from my dad, and not my mum.
While growing up, we only spoke English, then my dad called us one time and said from then on, whatever we wanted to ask or say to him should only be spoken in Igbo.
At first, it was so hard, we would mix in some English.
We would take long trying to explain ourselves, but my dad had the patience and it paid off.
We only communicate with my dad in Igbo till today.
No be only mothers dey raise children.

You dad and your mum are Igbo?

(1) (Reply)

Final Clearance Of Household Items / Household Items For Sale / Do You Think Many Women Will Pass This Test?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.