Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course (2266 Views)

Ejim Chinazom Judith Graduates As A Medical Doctor In A Wheelchair In Enugu / Nigerian Lady Celebrates After Studying For 11 Years To Become A Doctor / Can I Study Doctor In OAU With 106 JAMB Score?: Guy Asks; Gets Hilarious Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by jansonn(m): 7:19am On Jan 04, 2022
Hello guys,
I'm a medical student about to finish, please, I need help and advice from those that have gone ahead!!
I plan to take a short service course in the navy or airforce after I'm done. Been praying and thinking about it.
Will my job description be restricted to military hospitals or I'd have to carry weapons around?
Will I be able to further like residency after I join??
Will travelling out of the country be more difficult??
Is it safe, my mum is against it so I plan to not tell her.
Please, I'd appreciate your input guys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 04, 2022
Most comments below will not give you anything sensible so that they will just advise you telling you the military is bad.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by lereinter(m): 9:36am On Jan 04, 2022
All soldier go to war

You will be attached to military hospital

After sometime you leave and proceed to other endeavour

1 Like

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 04, 2022
You might fall under healthcare personnel whose job is to provide medical services to military personnel and their family members.. you may work as part of a patient-service team with doctors..nurse.. or other healthcare professionals.. Some specialize in providing emergency medical treatment in combat areas..

As a combat medic you will also receive the same basic weapons training as every other soldiers..

Regarding your mum if you love the job you have to go for it..tell her about it..
This is a little contribution and hope it helps..

3 Likes

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by bobbybrown007: 10:22am On Jan 04, 2022
First of all my guy you don blow, another one be say you don get standard, then money go dey flow the same as levels, but my guy remember me sha

1 Like

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by KingAzubuike(f): 10:58am On Jan 04, 2022
jansonn:
Hello guys,
I'm a medical student about to finish, please, I need help and advice from those that have gone ahead!!
I plan to take a short service course in the navy or airforce after I'm done. Been praying and thinking about it.
Will my job description be restricted to military hospitals or I'd have to carry weapons around?
Kid, Navy and airforce doesn't do Short service. Only direct short service. If you wanna practice your skill or field in the military then DSSC is what you'll apply for. If you apply for short service then sorry na your name. You'll automatically become a combatant irrespective of what you studied.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by jansonn(m): 10:59am On Jan 04, 2022
KingAzubuike:

Kid, Navy and airforce doesn't do Short service. Only direct short service. If you wanna practice your skill or field in the military then DSSC is what you'll apply for. If you apply for short service then sorry na your name. You'll automatically become a combatant irrespective of what you studied.
Ok, thanks sir
Is the registration done differently?? And pls, do you have answers to the other questions I asked pls
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by KingAzubuike(f): 11:11am On Jan 04, 2022
jansonn:

Ok, thanks sir
Is the registration done differently?? And pls, do you have answers to the other questions I asked pls
Yes it's don differently.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by MartinCorridon: 3:00pm On Jan 04, 2022
I wanted to follow my bro in law through this same route some years back. I wanted Navy or Airforce

The guy is a Consultant and in the Navy told me he wasted 15 years of his life according to him.

Your likelihood of dying in action is very very low BUT they control your life.

To go out for weekend sef na wahala. It took years before they approved him to proceed for Residency.

If all you're thinking about is money - Abroad. If you're passionate about military then apply.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by missjekyll: 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2022
Foolish you. Write your exams and get out of this country. Which Military? It's like you are not alright.
You will be a chronic MO. Residency after 15 years. Retire bitterly. And you will also carry weapons. Everybody carries weapons.
Abeg comot this topic make I see Road, mtchew

2 Likes

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by jansonn(m): 3:23pm On Jan 04, 2022
MartinCorridon:
I wanted to follow my bro in law through this same route some years back. I wanted Navy or Airforce

The guy is a Consultant and in the Navy told me he wasted 15 years of his life according to him.

To go out for weekend sef na wahala. It took years before they approved him to proceed for Residency.

If all you're thinking about is money - Abroad. If you're passionate about military then apply.
Thanks alot bro. This really helped!! Residency is not an option for me oo, it's a must. I think I'd dead the military thing. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by jansonn(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2022
Ok, thanks alot guys!! This really helped. I got the information I need. Joining the military as a doctor is not worth the suffering in medical school so...thanks again

1 Like

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by MartinCorridon: 3:45pm On Jan 04, 2022
jansonn:

Thanks alot bro. This really helped!! Residency is not an option for me oo, it's a must. I think I'd dead the military thing. Thanks again

I am not writing off the Military route. But IF you must, do Airforce / Navy to reduce your risk of dying in action. grin

If it's financials, I did far better than him going the UN route.

And ... I would NEVER ever forget the look on his face when he gave me the " 15 years of regret" speech. I was crushed because I always rued not making the military.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 04, 2022
jansonn:
Hello guys,
PLEASE, join your mates and leave the country.
The only thing you benefit from joining that is PRESTIGE, which can be gotten on a plater of Gold the moment you relocate to the UK and continue your work!
The UK prestige will definitely come with a fatter bank account, especially now Buhari is hellbent on crashing the country into the sea b4 leaving.
Even NGIGE knows this.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 04, 2022
jansonn:
Ok, thanks alot guys!! This really helped. I got the information I need. Joining the military as a doctor is not worth the suffering in medical school so...thanks again
What suffering are you talking about.?
I was in same shoes many years ago.
Had thoughts of joining the Army while I was still a resident in a Teaching Hospital in Nigeria.
But when I heard the salary difference, I completely reneged on my plan.
Why expose my Life, Freedom and career to trauma for a mere 30k difference.
I had to redirect my plans towards relocating to the US. Now I'm in the US. US is the Bomb!
The US has got a lot of rigors, but u have to be patient. IF you ain't patient, then the UK is fine.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by freddie009(m): 5:20pm On Jan 04, 2022
bobbybrown007:
First of all my guy you don blow, another one be say you don get standard, then money go dey flow the same as levels, but my guy remember me sha

Their money plenty?? I use to have a close friend (same class) when I they tutor back in secondary school, his mum will be like "come and teach him oo". His parents pushed him, he studied medicine not the best school (that is when I understand that the name of school doesn't matter). As I speak he is in the military as a medical doctor. I never got a job as an engineer 8 years after NYSC till now. Anytime I see guy I shake my head. I studied the wrong course. Engineering Nah scam.

3 Likes

Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by jansonn(m): 7:12pm On Jan 04, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Had thoughts of joining the Army while I was still a resident in a Teaching Hospital in Nigeria.
I had to redirect my plans towards relocating to the US. Now I'm in the US. US is the Bomb!
The US has got a lot of rigors, but u have to be patient. IF you ain't patient, then the UK is fine.

Omo, these are the kind of friends I want to make. Thanks sir, going abroad is the goal now. But sir, I need mentorship if you don't mind oo
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Alex80s(m): 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2022
Your colleagues dey collect salary for dollar Outside Nigeria and you want to join Nigerian Army...
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by AUNafada(m): 7:50pm On Jan 04, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

PLEASE, join your mates and leave the country.
The only thing you benefit from joining that is PRESTIGE, which can be gotten on a plater of Gold the moment you relocate to the UK and continue your work!
The UK prestige will definitely come with a fatter bank account, especially now Buhari is hellbent on crashing the country into the sea b4 leaving.
Even NGIGE knows this.

Hi Sir. Thank you for the advice because I'm in the same boat with the OP. Though already contemplating between military and USMLE. But we surely will like to be Mentored by someone like you if possible.
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Uyi168: 7:57pm On Jan 04, 2022
missjekyll:
Foolish you. Write your exams and get out of this country. Which Military? It's like you are not alright.
You will be a chronic MO. Residency after 15 years. Retire bitterly. And you will also carry weapons. Everybody carries weapons.
Abeg comot this topic make I see Road, mtchew
Op never wise..

But u dy Para oo
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Uyi168: 8:00pm On Jan 04, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

See as I just dy envy you
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by Simeonjoe1: 11:32pm On Jan 04, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Omo shocked. Am also a student currently and I'll like to follow the US pathway.
Sir what do you mean by the rigors of migrating to the US? Is it about the exams or duration assuming every step is passed?
I'll appreciate more insight from you. And what specialty are you currently in?
Re: A Doctor In The Military Via Short Service Course by DabuIIIT: 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2022
MartinCorridon:
I wanted to follow my bro in law through this same route some years back. I wanted Navy or Airforce but I decided to abadon it when I saw that agberoes were making serious money. Now I work hand in hand with the senior agberoes in Lagos,McOluomo. I cannot come and go and kill myself

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

History Of Money Rituals In Nigeria / Does Failure In School Mean Failure In Life? / Unilag Post Ume Result Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.