Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

The Great Ali Farka Toure - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Great Ali Farka Toure (2439 Views)

ASLA - Tarsem Ali - Brand New Punjabi Songs 2014 / Ali G aka Bruno aka Borat plants His Buttocks In Eminem's Face / If There Is A God, He Must Have Ali Farka Toure On His Mp3 List. . . .rip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2007
Listening to this I get a tingly feeling on my skin. Absolutely beautiful music

Its a shame the NOrth of Nigeria cannot produce music like this.

RIP ALI FARKA TOURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BidHigcbr74&mode=related&search=
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by naijacutee(f): 7:30pm On Jul 29, 2007
I absolutely ADORE his music. RIP.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 8:00pm On Jul 29, 2007
at last somebody that appreciates on nairaland

raises hand to heaven

Do you like any other malian musicians?
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 9:53pm On Jul 29, 2007
Doyin

don't think its fair to judge the Northerners of Nigeria by media obssessd sharia issues. We have got music in that part only left for you to dig it out, You have definitly got taste in music, try Toumani Diabate and Sambo Susso from The Gambia.
We could exchange ideas and probably link you up with a couple of collectors here in the senegambia and Mali region.
Good Taste.

Ali Farka Toure is not a Malian but a Nigerien (From Niger Republic)
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2007
you actually enjoy Sambou Susso? undecided
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 4:14am On Jul 30, 2007
sprezatura:

Doyin

don't think its fair to judge the Northerners of Nigeria by media obssessd sharia issues. We have got music in that part only left for you to dig it out, You have definitly got taste in music, try Toumani Diabate and Sambo Susso from The Gambia.
We could exchange ideas and probably link you up with a couple of collectors here in the senegambia and Mali region.
Good Taste.

Ali Farka Toure is not a Malian but a Nigerien (From Niger Republic)

I like Toumani Diabate as well(so great with the harp). I am sure u have heard his collaboration with Ali farka.

So Ali Farka is Nigerien. I thought he was from Niafunke.

Semba Sousso i admit I dont know

Hmm I love Habib Koite, Oumar Sangare and I dont know if you have heard of nahawa doumbia. She has this song. walahi talahi give me goose bumps
afel bocoum as well

oh how can i forget amadou and miriam

from senegal, i adore cheikh lo

from guinea, orchestra baobab

i am afraid i dont know much abt music from gambia. hopefully u will enlighten me

dont mind me and my n/nigeria thing. trust me it is becos i luv the place
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 10:58am On Jul 30, 2007
Doiyn, you have definitley got taste, good to know a nigerian shares this taste, Mukina, guess you prefer the shallow Pa Omar, Yousour Ngum or Asan Njie, music is looked beyond commercial acceptance, and what happens in the night clubs.

Will like to use the forum to wish Pa Aliou Susso the greatest Kora maker a safe passage to heaven, he is Sambo Susso's uncle and i was about to start my Kora lessonswith before he passed away. He left on Thursday 26th 2007, he prayed and slept on his favourite chair but never woke up again.

May his soul rest in peace

Here is A picture of Pa Aliou Susso, he is the one wearing the Ibo red cap, he died on the tattaered chair beside him and thats me with the spotted shirt with a 24 string Kora.

Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 11:01am On Jul 30, 2007
the great pa aliou susso. jaliba kuyateh owes his success to this man, his first kora was giving to him by this man.

Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 11:58am On Jul 30, 2007
Sambou does more screaming than singing tongue

her best i have heard is the one with Freaky Joe cheesy

Jaliba is good but all his songs are in Mandinka and not everyone hears that tongue

Pa omar and Yusupha are both good artists wink

there are lots of Jalis around this days anyway tongue

my most hated gambian Artist is Nancy Nanz angry tongue
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 12:36pm On Jul 30, 2007
Mukina once again i think music is more about the feeling and inspiration it gives, understanding the lyrics is an added advantage but not always necessary, im not Gambian, i don't understand Mandinka, wollof, Jola, Fula or Serahulei, but i apprecaiate music from everywhere, i agree with you there are several Jalibahs now, i have met a couple at Senegambia beach hotel and cape point, but i still think Jalibah has an edge. Dont agree with you on yousupha and Pa Omar, wonder what your definition of shouting is if you like this two and think Sambo screams, in anycase she is a griot and its part of the trade. Are you Gambian Mukina.

Doyin, you are right Ali Farka Toure is Malian, but spent sometime in Niger. Sorry for that
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2007
I am not Gambian cheesy i do understand wolof and a bit of mandinka cheesy

Sambou is not appreaciated here, reason why she 's always promoted by the Prezo grin

I think i prefer Mam Tamsir to Jaliba. Mbye Gaye pisses me off angry i wonder why he he still singing tongue
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 1:32pm On Jul 30, 2007
Okay I appreciate you guys throwing knowledge at each other.

Sprezatura, I am quite intrigued that you are seemingly involved in learning African instruments.

How difficult is it to learn the Kora/Balafon for example.?

When you hear Diabate play the kora, it seems so hard. He came to Glastonbury festival in the UK and did a set with Bjork. Absolutely wonderful stuff.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 1:36pm On Jul 30, 2007
By the way, I am sure you heard Ali Farka's last album. It was voted one of the top five albums ever by some rock and roll magazine. There is the macheingodi track on the album that speaks of Africa, blues, jazz. Superb.

The thing about the Album is that it is less accessible than say the Talking Timbuktu album, and some of my mates prefer that particular one.

Hmm any preferences urself.?
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by YOUNGDICEs(m): 1:49pm On Jul 30, 2007
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2007
@youngdice

Is it me, but it sounds more like a tune from the horn of africa.

Is that the style that is popular in the north?

Are they any native instrument maestros around?

very curious
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by YOUNGDICEs(m): 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2007
those people are hausa people,that's a new style in the north but I like the old north style better.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2007
Mukina im envious, u speak wolof and a little Mandinka, something iv been trying to crack since i got here, im sure we could meet somehow n u had probably give me some lessons, Doyin, you sound like someone involved in music not just a listener you impress me every second, yea learning the kora is difficult and even more dificult when you juggle it with other stuff, such as a 9-5.

Pa Aliou Susso told me he decides to teach a student from the moment the student grabs the instrument, from there he can decipher real interest from waste of time. He had 6 foreigners staying over at his place for six months just to learn the fundamentals, he says after den just like the sax, u develop and get your own rhythm.

About Ali Farka i prefer in the Heart of the moon with Toumani, Kala and Sambou yaya stand out. Depending on where you reside, he has a son in america and another in portugal teaching the use and production of kora. Guess you know what the term son in Africa means.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 5:23pm On Aug 02, 2007
Mukina im envious, u speak wolof and a little Mandinka, something iv been trying to crack since i got here, im sure we could meet somehow n u had probably give me some lessons, Doyin, you sound like someone involved in music not just a listener you impress me every second, yea learning the kora is difficult and even more dificult when you juggle it with other stuff, such as a 9-5

sure why not . .we can meet . i will teach you the gangsta wolof grin the fastest way to learn it grin cheesy
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 6:35pm On Aug 02, 2007
Mukina

Gangsta wolof im down but since u are married i guess i should put a lid on the idea of putting some of da gangsta wolof into practice.

Mukina what do u think of zakee's ( not dat rich misfit zakee adzaay) combo with Sambou, know you not a sambou fan but she good.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 8:10pm On Aug 02, 2007
Married grin grin grin yeah grin grin grin grin you dont know how you got me cracking grin

Gangsta wolof is the fastest way grin if you knew how much i insulted pple before i could say simple words grin grin

i havnt heard that song yet . do not have time for sambou sousso tongue if i hear her "rek" i feel bad grin
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 8:32pm On Aug 02, 2007
mukina

Duf the only one i know , Zakee n sambou combo is not a song deh, its a combo they like to do at events, by da way Amie colleh is playing on radio now. Thanks again
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 8:41pm On Aug 02, 2007
shocked u r listening to wone ma corr too shocked chei . .i love that song so much kiss kiss

that and soxanna sii . by vivianne cheesy

Duf duf lu cheesy

r u in the capital? cheesy
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 12:02pm On Aug 03, 2007
Mukina hi, No im not in the capital, i detest the capital reminds me so much of Lagos island, just like most lagosians i dont like Lagos Island at all. Anyway dont like Viviane Ndour at all, dont like Mbalax, love to watch dem dance to it though.

Doyin has been eeriely silent for a while, where you at bro.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by mukina2: 12:09pm On Aug 03, 2007
lol. na so u dey yab our capital? grin i dey report you tongue
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2007
Well I have been seeking new arenas of music.

I think i sampled one track featuring sambou susso. A bit too modern for my liking.

I quite like the sounds of the native instruments, the kora especially.

There is this drummer with Habib Koite, that plays this little drum held like a small handbag. The man is amazing.

I don't know if you recognise what I am describing?
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 12:48pm On Aug 03, 2007
If you can pass on recordings of this Pa Sussou. Sounds like someone I would like
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2007
I don't know if you are into Habib Koite's music. The guy has to be one of my faves

http://rapidshare.com/files/46714905/081_-_Habib_Koite___Bamada_-_F_ly__CD1-_07_-_Imada.mp3.html

The guy that plays the balafon in his band is something like 70 yrs old. Reputed to be the best in the world
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 1:36pm On Aug 03, 2007
Pa Susso just makes and teaches the Kora dont think he ever ventured into anything commercial, live shows or recording. yea i know Habib Koite, just discovered him some 2 or 3 months ago. Sambou has got a lot of collabos these days with some crappy modern musicians wont dont know their bearings, i guess shes feeling a little pressure about the commercial acceptance, anyway will try and send you a couple of her more traditional stuff.

Mukina i no yab nobody oh, i meant lagos island without Marina and broad street, Isale Eko, breadfruit, Oluwole ehen, dats wat i meant.

Baaba Maal, Ismael Lo, Mori Kante anyone,
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 1:46pm On Aug 03, 2007
I don't know why, but I don't seem to take a liking to Senegalese musicians except for cheikh lo.

I will admit I haven't probably given Baba Maal a good listen.

Ismael Lo, probably Tajabone is the only track I have really liked, and Mory Kante(is he from Guinea) is too popular, but i need to get into him deeper i guess. Yeke Yeke of course is everywhere

I personally prefer Malian musicians for some reason.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by sprezatura(m): 3:56pm On Aug 03, 2007
I feel you about senegalese musicians, most of them have had their art form diluted probably to make them more acceptable to the race n cultural mixture of senegal and france. Baaba Maal, still luv em, Ismael lo has better songs than Taja bone and dibi dibi rek. Yes Mori kante is a guinean, yes quite popular but that doesnt take a thing away from him

That irritatiting mixture fortunately hasnt bitten 2 deep into the music culture of the Malians, Salif seems to be the only guilty party here but he still seems to weave back into tradition.

What About Coco Mbaise and Mbilia Bel. Playing that now, Baaba Maal did a remix of Felas Trouble featuring fela, you might like it.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by doyin13(m): 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2007
Yeah I like me some soukous, although I dont know Mbilla Bel well. I like Freddy Meiway, Fally Ipupa, magic system, tarika.
Re: The Great Ali Farka Toure by lailai2(m): 3:21am On May 25, 2008
really feel amadou et mariam

doyin, are u still around(the thread i mean)

(1) (Reply)

Classic Soul And R&B: Old School Music / Fresh: Vector Versus Ice-prince Freestyle Battle / Olamide – Love No Go Die Mp3 Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.