Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,791 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down (21109 Views)

Don’t Push Us To War, FCT Natives Warn FG, Army Over Land Tussle / Land Tussle: Abba Community Protests At Anambra Government House (Video) / Tinubu's Camp Threatens Ambode: Stand Down Or Face Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by wirinet(m): 4:40am On Jan 05, 2022
Enyimbamercedes:
Intervenes?

A police officer boldly faced the lily-livered coward docile douchbag and told him to call the IG and AGF himself.
The police seems right in this case. The police came to help enforce a subsisting Supreme Court judgement. Since the Supreme Court is the final arbiter, I don't see the need for delay or further settlement. If the defenders wanted to settle out of court, it should have been done before final judgement. It's contempt to prevent a court judgement from being executed.

This case doesn't put Lagos State Government in good light. The governor's seem to be using executive powers to defy a valid court order. A problem we are still grappling with at the federal level. This is a good argument against giving governors police powers which is expected in a true Federation.

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Father4all: 6:29am On Jan 05, 2022
Lagosfinder:
Gov Sanwo-Olu intervenes over planned magodo estate demolition, invites all warring parties for settlement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zLUJ0q0K0

SANWO-OLU INTERVENES IN MAGODO LAND TUSSLE, ORDERS STAND DOWN

•Governor to meet affected parties, stakeholders on Wednesday for peaceful resolutions

•Residents commend Sanwo-Olu for timely intervention

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday fully intervened in the Magodo Phase II land tussle by restoring peace to the estate.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, who called on all the parties involved to stand down pending when the matter is completely resolved, invited affected families, residents and other stakeholders to a meeting in his office at Lagos House, Ikeja on Wednesday at 11 am for peaceful resolutions.

It would be recalled that armed policemen, who were acting on the instruction of the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, a fortnight ago had laid a siege in Magodo Phase II Estate following the planned demolition of property in the estate based on a Supreme Court Order.

Some members of a family had come to execute the Supreme Court judgment on the ownership of the land where hundreds of properties were built. The properties were marked with red, brown, and blue inks to inscribe ‘ID/795/88 Possession Taken Today 21/12/21 by Court Order’.

The siege on Magodo II Estate was resisted by landlords and residents, who protested and trooped out en mass to prevent forceful takeover or demolition of their properties.

Speaking to journalists and estate residents during his visit to Magodo Phase II Estate on Tuesday to assess the situation of things himself, Governor Sanwo-Olu who was accompanied by his cabinet members and the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, said the matter called for proper deliberation in the interest of peace and therefore implored all parties to stand down until the matter is completely resolved.

The Governor also assured residents of the estate that nobody would be harassed or any property be pulled down pending the outcome of his meeting with all the parties involved.

He said: “I have spoken extensively with the Inspector-General of Police and the Attorney- General of the Federation, and we have resolved all of the issues. So what we would see is that there is going to be a total stand down. Tomorrow (Wednesday), we will be inviting the representatives of the judgement creditors.

“We have actually started a committee meeting, but I want to invite them (Judgement creditors) again officially to my office tomorrow by 11 a.m. to come over with two or three of their representatives. The State Government representatives will be there, the residents' association will be there, and the police will also be there. So whatever it is that must have brought about all these troubles and heartaches will need to be brought there.

"We will all go through every line of it and we will come to an amicable resolution. So, I want everyone to please ensure that peace will be restored to the estate. I want all of our citizens to go about their lawful businesses knowing fully well that nobody will be harassed or any property will be trampled upon pending all of these conversations.

"We will have an extended conversation tomorrow so that we can bring this to final closure. So I want to ask the residents, the executives, don’t take the laws into your hands. Just go back home peacefully. The Policemen have been recalled back. They would be here and nothing would happen. And tomorrow, even the judgement creditors, would also come to meet with us. They claimed that the people that we met here were not their full representatives.”

Prior to Governor Sanwo-Olu's address to journalists and residents of the estate, the Governor and his team visited the police station within the estate, he was addressed by one CSP Abimbola Oyewole, who told him that his team had been sent from Abuja to execute the Supreme Court judgement on Magodo Phase 2 properties.

After the police team leader could not provide the copy of the said judgement as demanded by the governor, Governor Sanwo-Olu ordered the armed policemen to deactivate their operation and leave Lagos in the interest of peace.

Governor Sanwo-Olu told the Police officers that the matter is between the Lagos State government and the judgement creditor.

"It is a case between the residents of Lagos and the supposed people, not the residents. They have nothing to do with the residents. Please, can you call your superior now in Abuja that the state governor is here standing in front of you and I am the Chief Security Officer and that I want you to leave now and that you have no business in my state, that I want you to disengage now?” Governor Sanwo-Olu declared.

Governor Sanwo-Olu later placed phone calls to the authorities in Abuja, on whose authority the armed policemen were said to have been acting and the stand off was resolved.

The visit of Governor Sanwo-Olu also facilitated the release of about 20 residents that were arrested earlier by the Police officers.

According to residents of the estate, those arrested were detained by the Police in what they described as an unlawful invasion of their properties, saying most of the property owners were locked up in the name of the enforcement of the Supreme Court verdict.

Some of the residents who spoke to journalists commended Governor Sanwo-Olu for coming to their rescue and showing leadership in the state by defending them in time of need as the Chief Security Officer of Lagos State.
The governor is just fooling himself. Nothing he can do about it, the real owner have won from the supreme Court.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Father4all: 6:33am On Jan 05, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree. It's just upsetting seeing how it seems the Governor is attempting to review a SC judgement to the disadvantage of the judgement winners. All those who originally cheated the land owners need to be prosecuted. It's so so unfair. Imagine if the judgement winners had lost at the SC, would the Governor had given them same protection he is giving those who benefited from the injustice meted to the true owners of the land.
The occupant are deceiving themselves. Nothing can be done. The real owners have supreme Court backing. They should just rebuy it. Simple

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Enyimbamercedes: 6:34am On Jan 05, 2022
wirinet:

The police seems right in this case. The police came to help enforce a subsisting Supreme Court judgement. Since the Supreme Court is the final arbiter, I don't see the need for delay or further settlement. If the defenders wanted to settle out of court, it should have been done before final judgement. It's contempt to prevent a court judgement from being executed.

This case doesn't put Lagos State Government in good light. The governor's seem to be using executive powers to defy a valid court order. A problem we are still grappling with at the federal level. This is a good argument against giving governors police powers which is expected in a true Federation.

So a police officer or team of police officers can be sent to any state to enforce orders without the knowledge of the government who is the Chief Security Officer of the State?

A police officer can boldly face a governor, not salute him and not take orders from him?

The only time this can happen in the military is when there is a hostile takeover of power.

Demonstration of Craze
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by naturallysimple(m): 7:08am On Jan 05, 2022
allcomage:
Those houses should be demolished for the first allottees to back their lands as per the judgment of the supreme Court, let the state government compensate the the second allottees. There is so much impunity in the land.
Have you even read the judgement?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Schprobs: 7:09am On Jan 05, 2022
Lagosfinder:
Gov Sanwo-Olu intervenes over planned magodo estate demolition, invites all warring parties for settlement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zLUJ0q0K0

SANWO-OLU INTERVENES IN MAGODO LAND TUSSLE, ORDERS STAND DOWN

•Governor to meet affected parties, stakeholders on Wednesday for peaceful resolutions

•Residents commend Sanwo-Olu for timely intervention

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday fully intervened in the Magodo Phase II land tussle by restoring peace to the estate.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, who called on all the parties involved to stand down pending when the matter is completely resolved, invited affected families, residents and other stakeholders to a meeting in his office at Lagos House, Ikeja on Wednesday at 11 am for peaceful resolutions.

It would be recalled that armed policemen, who were acting on the instruction of the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, a fortnight ago had laid a siege in Magodo Phase II Estate following the planned demolition of property in the estate based on a Supreme Court Order.

Some members of a family had come to execute the Supreme Court judgment on the ownership of the land where hundreds of properties were built. The properties were marked with red, brown, and blue inks to inscribe ‘ID/795/88 Possession Taken Today 21/12/21 by Court Order’.

The siege on Magodo II Estate was resisted by landlords and residents, who protested and trooped out en mass to prevent forceful takeover or demolition of their properties.

Speaking to journalists and estate residents during his visit to Magodo Phase II Estate on Tuesday to assess the situation of things himself, Governor Sanwo-Olu who was accompanied by his cabinet members and the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, said the matter called for proper deliberation in the interest of peace and therefore implored all parties to stand down until the matter is completely resolved.

The Governor also assured residents of the estate that nobody would be harassed or any property be pulled down pending the outcome of his meeting with all the parties involved.

He said: “I have spoken extensively with the Inspector-General of Police and the Attorney- General of the Federation, and we have resolved all of the issues. So what we would see is that there is going to be a total stand down. Tomorrow (Wednesday), we will be inviting the representatives of the judgement creditors.

“We have actually started a committee meeting, but I want to invite them (Judgement creditors) again officially to my office tomorrow by 11 a.m. to come over with two or three of their representatives. The State Government representatives will be there, the residents' association will be there, and the police will also be there. So whatever it is that must have brought about all these troubles and heartaches will need to be brought there.

"We will all go through every line of it and we will come to an amicable resolution. So, I want everyone to please ensure that peace will be restored to the estate. I want all of our citizens to go about their lawful businesses knowing fully well that nobody will be harassed or any property will be trampled upon pending all of these conversations.

"We will have an extended conversation tomorrow so that we can bring this to final closure. So I want to ask the residents, the executives, don’t take the laws into your hands. Just go back home peacefully. The Policemen have been recalled back. They would be here and nothing would happen. And tomorrow, even the judgement creditors, would also come to meet with us. They claimed that the people that we met here were not their full representatives.”

Prior to Governor Sanwo-Olu's address to journalists and residents of the estate, the Governor and his team visited the police station within the estate, he was addressed by one CSP Abimbola Oyewole, who told him that his team had been sent from Abuja to execute the Supreme Court judgement on Magodo Phase 2 properties.

After the police team leader could not provide the copy of the said judgement as demanded by the governor, Governor Sanwo-Olu ordered the armed policemen to deactivate their operation and leave Lagos in the interest of peace.

Governor Sanwo-Olu told the Police officers that the matter is between the Lagos State government and the judgement creditor.

"It is a case between the residents of Lagos and the supposed people, not the residents. They have nothing to do with the residents. Please, can you call your superior now in Abuja that the state governor is here standing in front of you and I am the Chief Security Officer and that I want you to leave now and that you have no business in my state, that I want you to disengage now?” Governor Sanwo-Olu declared.

Governor Sanwo-Olu later placed phone calls to the authorities in Abuja, on whose authority the armed policemen were said to have been acting and the stand off was resolved.

The visit of Governor Sanwo-Olu also facilitated the release of about 20 residents that were arrested earlier by the Police officers.

According to residents of the estate, those arrested were detained by the Police in what they described as an unlawful invasion of their properties, saying most of the property owners were locked up in the name of the enforcement of the Supreme Court verdict.

Some of the residents who spoke to journalists commended Governor Sanwo-Olu for coming to their rescue and showing leadership in the state by defending them in time of need as the Chief Security Officer of Lagos State.

I taught those animals in abuja have been warn never to carry any operation without the awareness of the sitting governor
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by ivolt: 7:16am On Jan 05, 2022
Lagosfinder:

Settlement that favors all parties is all we seek
Nope, settlement that favors the victims is the right one.
People need to learn that there are consequences for illegal and oppressive actions.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by ivolt: 7:19am On Jan 05, 2022
simple250:
That CSP is lucky it's not rivers state Wike for chase erm instantly
Wike cannot chase them, he will be disgraced if he tries it.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Akpan1195: 7:22am On Jan 05, 2022
Good one
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by ivolt: 7:23am On Jan 05, 2022
wirinet:

Don't mind these people.
It is oppression when the government illegality affects them.
But the same people wants the government to use dictatorial power
against those they hate.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by ivolt: 7:25am On Jan 05, 2022
Enyimbamercedes:

So a police officer or team of police officers can be sent to any state to enforce orders without the knowledge of the government who is the Chief Security Officer of the State?

A police officer can boldly face a governor, not salute him and not take orders from him?

The only time this can happen in the military is when there is a hostile takeover of power.

Demonstration of Craze
Get a copy of the constitution, read it and stop arguing blindly.
The police are not answerable to the governor and neither can a governor
override a court ruling.
Every officer in a state were sent there by the FG without informing the governor and
they are regularly transferred as the FG wishes.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by atorioke(m): 7:32am On Jan 05, 2022
Enyimbamercedes:

Demonstration of Craze

Your type is one of the reasons we are yet to move forward in this country. In a more democratic setting like the US, law enforcement agencies disregard unlawful directive(s) from the president (ask Donald Trump), not to talk of a Governor who has no power over the NPF and is not above the Supreme Court. For your information, had it been Sanwo-Olu is not the Governor of Lagos State, contempt proceeding can be commenced against him for outrightly obstructing enforcement of a court judgement.

Who knows! Maybe you are a landlord at Magodo, and your house is marked for demolition. If not ehn, make una try dey read or go school to stop commenting like buffoon online. These are simple things every Nigerian should know.

School nor be scam because there is no way we can grow with the high rate of ignorance and illiteracy most of you are displaying in nairaland.

A country full of illiterates and educated illiterates can't grow.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by famouscargo4u: 8:54am On Jan 05, 2022
Lagosfinder:

Supreme court judgement must be obeyed. I am so sure if the injunction favoured the the estate residents or the Lagos state government, the real landowners wont be compensated at all. come to think of it, the court order was given since 2012! Lagos state government should do the needful by compensating the residents with new houses elsewhere and the properties in the estate returned to the judgement creditors.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by omohayek: 10:21am On Jan 05, 2022
wirinet:

No, that isn't how it works elsewhere, so why should it be the case in Nigeria? American governors don't have any authority over local sheriffs, nor does the Mayor of London have any say in the workings of the London Metropolitan Police, so why is it simply taken for granted that Nigerian governors will get to call the shots for decentralised police forces?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by wirinet(m): 10:30am On Jan 05, 2022
omohayek:

No, that isn't how it works elsewhere, so why should it be the case in Nigeria? American governors don't have any authority over local sheriffs, nor does the Mayor of London have any say in the workings of the London Metropolitan Police, so why is it simply taken for granted that Nigerian governors will get to call the shots for decentralised police forces?

In Nigeria the "Governor is the chief security officer of the State" mantra is taken too far. A police officer has the right to refuse illegal orders. The police must be able to carry out their duties without interference from political office holders.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by manlawal(m): 11:55am On Jan 05, 2022
Emperor550:

grin grin grin
guy you no go make heaven
shey you no want make the the guy make it ni , he fit no know say that's the key to his breakthrough

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Intervenes In Magodo Land Tussle, Orders Stand Down by Mccullum: 2:46pm On Jan 05, 2022
Lagosfinder:

Now is settlement that favoured all parties, had it been the judgement was against the poor landlords, the rich landlords will quickly use state government to implement it, I stand with FG and Supreme Court on this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Official Commissioning Of International Conference Centre Awka(video&photos) / Court Sacks Senator Emmanuel Bwacha For Defecting to APC / AGF Oluwatoyin Madein In Alleged Age Falsification, Bribery - Angry Directors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.