Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,247 members, 7,822,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments (7523 Views)

See How Many Ventilators Nigeria Would Have Had If NASS Renovation Money Is Used / Buhari: I’m Not Against Diaspora Voting If NASS Supports It / What Buhari's Refusal To Sign Electoral Bill Will Do To Nigeria In 2019 - Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by valentineuwakwe(m): 3:59am On Jan 06, 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday, stated that he is ready to sign the Electoral Act Amendment Bill if the National Assembly makes the necessary adjustments.

Buhari disclosed this during an interview with Channels Television’s Maupe Ogun and Seun Okinbaloye, which aired today.

The President, however, said such changes must include consensus candidates, indirect primary options to the mode of selecting a candidate for an election, as against the initial direct mode as the only option to conduct primaries by political parties.

“All I said (is that) there should be options,” Buhari said.

“We must not insist that it has to be direct; it should be consensus and indirect.”

Asked if he would sign if the lawmakers effect the change in that direction, he affirmed, “Yes, I will! I will sign.

“There should be options, you can’t dictate to people and say you are doing democracy. Give them other options so they can make a choice.”

DAILY POST recalls that Buhari had, last December, officially rejected the bill which was recently passed by the National Assembly.

His decision to withhold his assent followed the inclusion of direct primary elections in the bill.

According to a letter the President sent to the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, he cited insecurity and the high cost of conducting the direct primary as his reasons for rejecting the bill.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/01/05/buhari-gives-condition-to-sign-electoral-bill/

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by matrix199(m): 4:09am On Jan 06, 2022
If this was what he said, then I'd say he's recovering from senility very fast

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Moferere: 4:35am On Jan 06, 2022
Despite the fact that I was not impressed with the interview, yesterday's interview has once again validated our claim that IPoB is a deceitful organisation

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by bcomputer101: 4:42am On Jan 06, 2022
Another name for CONFUSION is called BUHARI

Always inconsistent with his decisions.
Olodo

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by bcomputer101: 5:11am On Jan 06, 2022
Always talking with both side of his mouth.

With due respect sir, thunder fire your testis

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Boogyman557: 5:11am On Jan 06, 2022
Holly Gram cool real matters. WTF MAN
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by BigSarah(f): 5:12am On Jan 06, 2022
He is still saying no direct primaries, Make it indirect and he will sign..

Nothing new here

1 Like

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by kollinz1234(m): 5:15am On Jan 06, 2022
Scam. Buhari doesn't have the mental capacity to understand/comprehend any bill presented to him to sign. If Malami ask him to sign, he will sign, if Malami ask him not to sign, he will not sign.

All those people who voted for Buhari, I leave you all to God to Judge
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Jimmythewise: 5:17am On Jan 06, 2022
You're leading Nigeria no where nigga
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by stepaside2: 5:19am On Jan 06, 2022
No need to overflog the issue. NASS should remove or amend that section of the bill and represent to PMB. I am sure he will sign. The other issues in the bill are far more important to get thrown away along with this direct primaries thing. That fight should be for another day. Important thing is to keep making progress incrementally.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by ATEAMS: 5:22am On Jan 06, 2022
But the 2022 budget needed no adjustments ABI
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by helinues: 5:23am On Jan 06, 2022
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by slickbak(m): 5:24am On Jan 06, 2022
A lot of Buhari quotes lately
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Quality20(m): 5:24am On Jan 06, 2022
well our pdp ppl have already told NASS to overide the president
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Validated: 5:25am On Jan 06, 2022
BigSarah:
He is still saying no direct primaries, Make it indirect and he will sign..

Nothing new here
First, he did not rule out direct primaries. He is saying DO NOT make direct primaries mandatory as NASS tried to foist on parties. What Buhari is asking is let parties decide between direct, indirect or consensus method of chosing candidates. These are legitimate rights of parties and are democratic.

16 Likes

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by chiedu7: 5:30am On Jan 06, 2022
The Dullard of Daura
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by DrTee1(m): 5:32am On Jan 06, 2022
Besides direct primaries, there is also the contentious issue of electronic transmission of results, which is also receiving a lot of objection in several quarters. They claim that about 300 LGAs have no facilities to transport results electronically. I don't think that assertion is either true or insurmountable.

I hope the President does sign these amendments however, with the option of direct and indirect primaries as the parties may deem fit.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by DrTee1(m): 5:33am On Jan 06, 2022
Besides direct primaries, there is also the contentious issue of electronic transmission of results, which is also receiving a lot of objection in several quarters. They claim that about 300 LGAs have no facilities to transport results electronically. I don't think that assertion is either true or insurmountable.

I hope the President does sign these amendments however, with the option of direct or indirect primaries as the parties may deem fit per unit time.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by maak400: 5:33am On Jan 06, 2022
Nigeria JagaJaga, only zombies are supporting this evil government.
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Onyiiobi7735(m): 5:34am On Jan 06, 2022
matrix199:
If this was what he said, then I'd say he's recovering from senility very fast
Very fast indeed.His dumb brain is finally resetting itself.
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Onyiiobi7735(m): 5:35am On Jan 06, 2022
A government headed by a walking disaster in human form is known for inconsistencies.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by Bigfish121(m): 5:39am On Jan 06, 2022
I think the president is right on this.Nass can't dictate for the parties the mode to conduct their primaries.
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by MEGA4BILLION(m): 5:51am On Jan 06, 2022
But you signed the budget even with glaring evidence of padding

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by OTlandlord: 6:35am On Jan 06, 2022
Our president was on Channels TV,? WOW WOW WOW....unbelievable. Hope he didn't goof sha.
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by starstaz(m): 6:49am On Jan 06, 2022
419ers
Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by LordGuru1: 6:54am On Jan 06, 2022
No matter what, don't allow Luciferace Hydra Vulgaris DNA enSlavement VSin to get into you. Satan got Rulers of the World to put it into people Globally in the days of Noah. It is happening already now.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Says He Will Sign Electoral Bill If NASS Makes The Necessary Adjustments by everythinggirly(f): 7:02am On Jan 06, 2022
Nice one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rasheed Maina (Pension Task Force Boss) Diverted N21 Billion To His Accounts / Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway / CBN: Foreign Reserves Drop To $36.12 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.