Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something (646 Views)

ICAN Chartered Accountants Awaitting Induction Come In / Kano To Partner ICAN On Accountants’ Training / Newly Qualified Chartered Accountants (prospective April 2018 Inductees) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Holdon: 3:21am On Jan 08, 2022
Happy New [Hustle] Year

So, I got an opportunity to work as an accountant in a ‘somewhat standard’ Hotel, Club, Bar and Lounge.

the challenge....
I'm fresh out of Naija Uni where we barely understood practical real-life applications of key concepts, principles, and calculations.

....But since the CEO is a family friend who wants ‘his person’ to be a key player in the running of the set up, particularly finance, I was preferred . Even with zero experience.

Days after accepting the offer, i’m still trying to understand how the hospitality industry works. Particularly hotel accounting, which seems somewhat unique.

Salary preparation
Budgeting; planning, and control
Internal control
Taxation
periodic Preparation and reporting of Financial statements
Etc

It can feel depressing when I'm not sure how this and that works. Even when i think I have the book knowledge, I’m not always too sure how to apply them accurately.

so, I'm wondering. Are there seasoned hotel accountants willing to discuss the intricacies of hotel accounting and, at large, management?

I'll sincerely appreciate any useful tips and resources to help newbies grow, productively, in this niche?

Please, help: How does hotel accounting actually work?
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by bugatti02(m): 3:34am On Jan 08, 2022
I'll give you all the necessary information and ledge format needed to run. But on an exchange. I'll love to take care of the hotel supply. General needs from Toiletries, food and drinks e.t.c. If you're good with it.

Quote me. I'll drop my email.
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by galantjoe(m): 4:06am On Jan 08, 2022
I will give u practical guide on exchange of fee.

Dm

Or

Call 07067294966
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Nobody: 6:15am On Jan 08, 2022
Holdon, walk into any hotel close by and ask for the accountant and explain your predicament to him. He may help you but I can connect you with my acct friend if you want.

1 Like

Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Holdon: 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2022
bugatti02:
I'll give you all the necessary information and ledge format needed to run. But on an exchange. I'll love to take care of the hotel supply. General needs from Toiletries, food and drinks e.t.c. If you're good with it.

Quote me. I'll drop my email.

Sorry about the delayed response.

Your offer looks good. But I was just introduced to the set up which has been for years. Expectedly, we have regular suppliers for most of these items.

However, kindly drop your email/phone number. If your stuffs are comes with cheaper price tags, who knows?

I'm hopeful !
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Holdon: 5:34pm On Jan 16, 2022
galantjoe:
I will give u practical guide on exchange of fee.

Dm

Or

Call 07067294966

Lol. We no just fit share knowledge on the thread to help us all grow?

It's understandable though - knowledge isnt cheap.

I'll reach out lets talk.
Regards

1 Like

Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Holdon: 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2022
excellence44:
Holdon, walk into any hotel close by and ask for the accountant and explain your predicament to him. He may help you but I can connect you with my acct friend if you want.

Thanks for your advice boss. But approaching a random person(no referrals, no nothing) can be tricky.

However, Ill appreciate to link up with your accountant friend.

Gratitude
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by prophetwis: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2022
Search for "Accounting Yard" on Youtube/facebook/Insta/LinkedIN .You will get the answers you need and practical accounting knowledge and any training you need.
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by sammyscholar(m): 11:42pm On Jan 17, 2022
Holdon:
Happy New [Hustle] Year

So, I got an opportunity to work as an accountant in a ‘somewhat standard’ Hotel, Club, Bar and Lounge.

the challenge....
I'm fresh out of Naija Uni where we barely understood practical real-life applications of key concepts, principles, and calculations.

....But since the CEO is a family friend who wants ‘his person’ to be a key player in the running of the set up, particularly finance, I was preferred . Even with zero experience.

Days after accepting the offer, i’m still trying to understand how the hospitality industry works. Particularly hotel accounting, which seems somewhat unique.

Salary preparation
Budgeting; planning, and control
Internal control
Taxation
periodic Preparation and reporting of Financial statements
Etc

It can feel depressing when I'm not sure how this and that works. Even when i think I have the book knowledge, I’m not always too sure how to apply them accurately.

so, I'm wondering. Are there seasoned hotel accountants willing to discuss the intricacies of hotel accounting and, at large, management?

I'll sincerely appreciate any useful tips and resources to help newbies grow, productively, in this niche?

Please, help: How does hotel accounting actually work?
if you can drop your contact for a chat on WhatsApp, I will connect you to my brother who currently manages accounts for a company into hotel, lounge and restaurants.
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Holdon: 11:40am On Jan 18, 2022
prophetwis:
Search for "Accounting Yard" on Youtube/facebook/Insta/LinkedIN .You will get the answers you need and practical accounting knowledge and any training you need.

Prophetwis, a million thanks. Will do right away and share my experience here

Regards
Re: Hotel Accountants: Come And See Something by Folaoni(m): 6:14am On Jan 19, 2022
Chai! Are you telling me that you can't apply accounting principles to prepare a journal, ledger, cash book, petty cash book, trial balance, final account(income statements), and statement of financial position (balance sheet).

It is glaring that it would be difficult for you to apply IAS's and IFRS.

Forget that you have no practical experience, if you are good, all that I mentioned above shouldn't be a problem for a good graduate of accounting students.

The budgeting aspect, use the previous years and the present economic situation of the environment as your basis to set up the budget. Your budget should be on long and short term basis; and make sure you review your short term budget at the end of every month to pick out any lapses.

Regards.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Mour President? / Training At A Very Low Rate! Check This Out. / 2d/3d Graphics Animation Pro And Marketers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.