Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,074 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only (954 Views)

13 Things Only A Lagos Entrepreneur Will Understand / Funny Things Only Nigerians Do / AFRICA’S RICHEST MUSICIANS 2013!youssou N’dour Is Africa’s Most Expensive Artist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by solbil: 5:45pm On Jun 17, 2011
[b]i ask this question because i know there are more poor people in india than there are in africa?
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Nayah(f): 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2011
Because some people considerate what some so called "good countries" lol said, personally I had the chance to travel throughout our continent and believe me, wrong things were often the miminum. Medias, or western countries medias play role to bash Africa whereas they keep on stealing our ressources , quite funny ha! of course everything is not perfect but they should stop spreading "wrong things" about Africa. I'm so proud to an African lady, thank God
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Booshman(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2011
Because people know that their own countries are messed up and that their citizens are miserable. So it's a popular distraction for nations and their medias to point to other places that are even worse, because then they don't have to fix their own problems. They just say,

"Hey! You could be doing worse! You could be in (insert African country)! So count your blessings!" All the while, all the GOOD things about Africa, in terms of strides and development go unheard of.

That's why I frequently visit,

www.africagoodnews.com

To counter balance all the one-sided negativity.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:18am On Jun 18, 2011
i think its cuz India, inspite of 30% of its population (around 300 million ppl) being poor, have a stable form of democratic government whereas in Africa, things are usually unpredictable. e.g., millitary dictatorship, etc.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Booshman(m): 4:02am On Jun 18, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

i think its cuz India, inspite of 30% of its population (around 300 million ppl) being poor, have a stable form of democratic government whereas in Africa, things are usually unpredictable. e.g., millitary dictatorship, etc.

Yeah, but India is a country, whereas Africa is a continent. Non-Arab Africa is over 900 million people with far more diversity than India too.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2011
it doesnt matter. if u take percentages of individual countries in Africa, d poverty is still higher compared to India. and 1 must understand dat countries lyk India or China are far too vast and controlling them is a tough job, yet, they somehow manage to keep the situation of their country stable and the poverty in India is only around 30% which good for such a big country which is so difficult to manage in d first place. however in Africa, even small countries lyk Chad or Mali (for example), which being small, r easy to manage, yet more than half the percentage of the population lives below $1/day. we must correct our own mistakes first b4 taking on other countries. also one must not forget that, a single country lyk India has far more diversity, when compared to ANY ""single"" country in Africa (not Africa as a whole). them Indians have som many different religions, tribe, races, 4500 languages and they even have 1000s of castes and still follow the caste system. Such a situation would nominally imply civil war, BUT their conditions still stable inspite of such a magnanimous diversity.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by MrsChima(f): 1:58am On Jun 19, 2011
A proud person will never bash their own country.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:06am On Jun 19, 2011
a person must be proud but at the same time he must be wise.

a foolish n proud person will fail in life and may even stand a chance of losing all that he has, i.e. his dignity.

a wise person will alwayz look at his own mistakes and try to improve it first.

so u must always see were u stand first and if u have the right & position to compare with someone else.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by MrsChima(f): 2:54am On Jun 19, 2011
You make me sick.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Booshman(m): 5:05am On Jun 19, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

it doesnt matter. if u take percentages of individual countries in Africa, d poverty is still higher compared to India. and 1 must understand dat countries lyk India or China are far too vast and controlling them is a tough job, yet, they somehow manage to keep the situation of their country stable and the poverty in India is only around 30% which good for such a big country which is so difficult to manage in d first place. however in Africa, even small countries lyk Chad or Mali (for example), which being small, r easy to manage, yet more than half the percentage of the population lives below $1/day. we must correct our own mistakes first b4 taking on other countries. also one must not forget that, a single country lyk India has far more diversity, when compared to ANY ""single"" country in Africa (not Africa as a whole). them Indians have som many different religions, tribe, races, 4500 languages and they even have 1000s of castes and still follow the caste system. Such a situation would nominally imply civil war, BUT their conditions still stable inspite of such a magnanimous diversity.

So you want to compare India to Africa only in areas where it helps your argument? How typically dishonest. India's inhumane caste system is the only reason WHY it is as stable as it is. The poor Dalits (the darkest Indians) are kept at the bottom and in the dark, and believe that their low place in society is all they are destined to be. Which is why there are barely any civil revolts. They've accepted their terrible lot in life , and have no aspirations to be anything more. You clearly know nothing about India, besides what's on the surface.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2011
Booshman:

So you want to compare India to Africa only in areas where it helps your argument? How typically dishonest. India's inhumane caste system is the only reason WHY it is as stable as it is. The poor Dalits (the darkest Indians) are kept at the bottom and in the dark, and believe that their low place in society is all they are destined to be. Which is why there are barely any civil revolts. They've accepted their terrible lot in life , and have no aspirations to be anything more. You clearly know nothing about India, besides what's on the surface.

my friend, i have travelled all over the world and i have even been to India. the caste system is almost totally abolished in the India of today. you can be in prison for caste-based discrimination. The only way that the caste system still works is that Hindus generally marry within their own caste/ tribe. Thats just like here in Nigeria were us Hausa marry with Hausa n Yoruba marry with Yoruba. Thats norma, have you ever been to India i had been to a conference there and i took my leisure time roaming around to see the "true" India as they say. i must admit that the infrastructure is not that good, yet i have noticed that there has been a considerable change in that country. The country's rapidly progressing, wat with ther IIT and other institutes and companies. Its simply marvelous how they have taken great strides ova the past few decades when their country was literally left in shamble after the brits sucked their wealth. And today people in India actually wish they were born in the lower castes and there r always protests because of this since the daltis you mentioned, are always given preferrential treatment, such as free seats in college, job reservations, etc. As a result, the low caste ppls do not have to work hard to get a seat in a college or to get a job, whereas the upper castes, having no reservations, have to struggle on the basis of their skills. Things have really reversed today in India. and dont forget that there are other religions too and countless tribes. really, its a miracle they have stayed together and at the same time progressed. We Africans must learn to lose false pride and work hard and learn from real life examples, such as that of the Indians and the Japanese (given in another thread). Or else we will linger behind, along with our useless politicians lyk Buhari, etc.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by pleep(m): 4:21am On Jun 20, 2011
India also has the largest number of people with aids. A fact hardly mentioned.

I must say though For such a diverse country India is doing incedibly well, a majoriy Hindu country with a Muslim president and no riots, protests etc. Makes me think India and pakistan should have stayed together. They would be incredibly powerfully If they did.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2011
i think i can answer that. actually if they stayed together, the country will destabilise further, because after they had d partition thing, all d fanatical moslems left for the new country (pakistan) and all the not-fanatic ones, stayed back.

thats d reason why today, pakistans suffering a lot (daily bomb blasts, failed government, etc), while India with its diverse ad not-so fanatic population, is progressing.

as far as AIDS is concerned, heres a list of the top 5 countries with AIDS:

1. Swaziland - 33.4%
2. Botswana - 24.1%
3. Lesotho - 23.2%
4. Zimbabwe - 20.1%
5. Namibia - 19.6%

followed closely (I was actually surprised), by South Africa at 16%. as for India, only 0.30 % suffer from AIDS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by pleep(m): 12:02am On Jun 21, 2011
i think i can answer that. actually if they stayed together, the country will destabilise further, because after they had d partition thing, all d fanatical moslems left for the new country (pakistan) and all the not-fanatic ones, stayed back.

thats d reason why today, pakistans suffering a lot (daily bomb blasts, failed government, etc), while India with its diverse ad not-so fanatic population, is progressing.
Wow, thats an interesting insight i never thought about it like that.

as far as AIDS is concerned, heres a list of the top 5 countries with AIDS:

1. Swaziland - 33.4%
2. Botswana - 24.1%
3. Lesotho - 23.2%
4. Zimbabwe - 20.1%
5. Namibia - 19.6%

followed closely (I was actually surprised), by South Africa at 16%. as for India, only 0.30 % suffer from AIDS

Yes, those countries have the largest Percentage of people with aids but India has the largest number of people with aids living in it. If you have a country with say 100 people and and 10 have aids the percentage will be high but the number very low. But in a country with say 900 million and 2 million have aids the number will be huge but the percentage small.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by kcjazz(m): 12:06am On Jun 21, 2011
We don't control the media. Think of Al Jazeera and the reason why it was created. The one who controls the media has the power to share information. So maybe it is time for "African News Network" to help change the face of Africa but again there is real poverty in our land.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by pleep(m): 12:08am On Jun 21, 2011
If you want to see the bias against africa, look at an aljazeera series called "Africa states of independance" then compare it to the typical BBC coverage.

The aljazeera program shows balanced coverage of the african countries and despite the typical subject matter it showed the beauty in countries like Chad and DR. Congo instead of one sided uglyness.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:58am On Jun 21, 2011
pleep:

Yes, those countries have the largest Percentage of people with aids but India has the largest number of people with aids living in it. If you have a country with say 100 people and and 10 have aids the percentage will be high but the number very low. But in a country with say 900 million and 2 million have aids the number will be huge but the percentage small.

true. wink
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Dede1(m): 3:17pm On Jun 22, 2011
@OP

It is so because Africans continuously exude inherent stupidity. One typical good example is general acceptance of the brand name-Black. It is intellectually stupid to identify any human being with hue. When it comes to Asians, everybody appears to lose the sense of their color. If America or NATO attacks any African country under any auspices, the so-called foolish UA or OAU will either keep mute or support the position of European or American aggressors. Africans will be first to criticize anything indigenous to Africa be it culture, tradition or invention. God should not have wasted time creating Africa.
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:47pm On Jun 22, 2011
Dede1:

@OP

It is so because Africans continuously exude inherent stupidity. One typical good example is general acceptance of the brand name-Black. It is intellectually silly to identify any human being with hue. When it comes to Asians, everybody appears to lose the sense of their color. If America or NATO attacks any African country under any auspices, the so-called foolish UA or OAU will either keep mute or support the position of European or American aggressors. Africans will be first to criticize anything indigenous to Africa be it culture, tradition or invention. God should not have wasted time creating Africa.

i support u on d abov highlighted pont bu u shouldnt hav said d last point. yet, we Africans must prove to the world, dat we wer worth creating, n we have (at times), and WE WILL!!!!!!
Re: Why Is Africa Singled Out In He World For Wrong Things Only by Denise216(f): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2011
Because it sells. There is no money in promoting the best of Africa outside of nature. Fortunately Nollywood and other African based media outlets are understanding their need to offer a multifaceted image of Africa and her nations. This is also good for the Diaspora.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!! Owa Ibokun Of Ijesha, Oba Aromolaran Is Dead / STORY: What If There Were No Black People In The World / “ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... "

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.