Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,465 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) (3170 Views)

My Software Dev Journey So Far / Can I Get A Laptop For Efficient Software Dev. With A Low Budget Of 100k ?! / Free Coding Training. Frontend, Backend, UI / UX, Mobile Dev, Software Dev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 2:40pm On Jan 09, 2022
Just goofing around today and checked out my Github profile, contributions section. Picture below.

This is for beginners, as this may not matter when you have some years of experience.

If you're a beginner, your first job is to paint that board green, REALLY GREEN. Light it up with bright green colors.

Often, tech recruiters just look at that section before going to the details.

At a glance, it tells them alot:

1. You've been coding actively.
2. Most times, it separates you from other applicants.
3. If the repositories that make up the contributions are really solid, you're sure to impress.
4. How can someone trust you that you (without experience) can code and that you wouldn't waste their time if they invited you for interview? THIS IS IT.

Generally, this gets your foot in the door. Keeping the door open now depends on what happens afterward.

It's a new year, whatever you do, don't stop learning and don't stop coding.

PS: If you don't know what this is, you've not started. But don't worry, you can start where you are. The only thing that matters is your determination. Your age, gender, academic or financial background, e.t.c, does not matter. I've seen a 56 year old who taught himself how to code. Single mothers with responsibilities e.t.c. One of the people I learnt how to code with was heavily pregnant. What I'm saying is you have no excuse. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE.

Let's do it!!!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by LikeAking: 2:47pm On Jan 09, 2022
OK!

Hw u take knw?
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2022
LikeAking:
OK!

Hw u take knw?

After going through tens of interviews and submitting more than 800 job applications and working as a Software Developer for years and networking with recruiters, you'll know one or two things.

Comprende?

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by jesmond3945: 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

After going through tens of interviews and submitting more than 800 job applications and working as a Software Developer for years and networking with recruiters, you'll know one or two things.

Comprende?
it took you 800 job apps to land your first job?

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 5:16pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

Light it up with bright green colors.
Really love those green colors. Sadly, mine has been empty for a while now.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by BlaqFaze: 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2022
All these trouble na for people wey nor get CS degree

2 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2022
E fit be various variations of to do lists wey the person dey upload to GitHub everyday. Honestly when I was searching for my first job I had just like 50 commits on GitHub. Those were the commits I used to make my projects. Instead of beginners focusing on making their GitHub blocks green, I would advise them to focus on

One make sure your projects look good. It's so funny how so many people underrate this. I have seen so many horrible terrible projects that I don't even know what to tell the authors.

Your projects are what will give you job interview. Then you need data structures and algorithms to ace the coding interview. Once you are sure your projects are good and up to standard you are better off spending time on leetcode and solving questions everyday.

The field of computing is a very straightforward path to success. Do this and get that and most times it's very true except village people are involved.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 5:57pm On Jan 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
E fit be various variations of to do lists wey the person dey upload to GitHub everyday.
grin grin grin grin
jesmond3945:
it took you 800 job apps to land your first job?
Some don do more than 1000 application oooo. The earlier one understand that number play a role, the better.

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 6:23pm On Jan 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
E fit be various variations of to do lists wey the person dey upload to GitHub everyday. Honestly when I was searching for my first job I had just like 50 commits on GitHub. Those were the commits I used to make my projects. Instead of beginners focusing on making their GitHub blocks green, I would advise them to focus on

One make sure your projects look good. It's so funny how so many people underrate this. I have seen so many horrible terrible projects that I don't even know what to tell the authors.

Your projects are what will give you job interview. Then you need data structures and algorithms to ace the coding interview. Once you are sure your projects are good and up to standard you are better off spending time on leetcode and solving questions everyday.

The field of computing is a very straightforward path to success. Do this and get that and most times it's very true except village people are involved.

If only you used a bit more effort to read through the post, you'll have seen where I referenced "solid repositories" and I'm sure I mentioned "before recruiters go into the detail".

Good luck getting a job with 50 commits as a beginner without experience. Most times, you'll only get to Data Structures and Algorithm stage IF you don't get screened out with your 50 commits.

I never did Data Structures based interview even as an entry level applicant. Thats not to say its not relevant though. Many organisations are adopting take-home "real" application development.

4 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 6:26pm On Jan 09, 2022
BlaqFaze:
All these trouble na for people wey nor get CS degree

You're really funny. How did CS degree improve your chances?
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by jesmond3945: 6:31pm On Jan 09, 2022
islamics:

grin grin grin grin

Some don do more than 1000 application oooo. The earlier one understand that number play a role, the better.
ha 1000? Nawa
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by jesmond3945: 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

yea. Go see the requirements. If you no get stem degree, nothing for you.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

If only you used a bit more effort to read through the post, you'll have seen where I referenced "solid repositories" and I'm sure I mentioned "before recruiters go into the detail".

Good luck getting a job with 50 commits as a beginner without experience. Most times, you'll only get to Data Structures and Algorithm stage IF you don't get screened out with your 50 commits.

I never did Data Structures based interview even as an entry level applicant. Thats not to say its not relevant though. Many organisations are adopting take-home "real" application development.

Well I had just 50 commits and it took me just 2 weeks to get my first job as a programmer when I was ready.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by BlaqFaze: 6:40pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

People might not like it but the truth is that a CS degree/related degrees will massively improve your chance of getting a job

3 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Grandlord: 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

True.

Many companies don't do whiteboard interviews. It's straight up project-based.

I think there's a subreddit where companies in that category are listed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 7:24pm On Jan 09, 2022
Grandlord:

True.

Many companies don't do data structures and algorithms interviews. It's straight up project-based.

There are 2 developers:

Developer A: Data structures and algorithm guru. Has no evidence of real life projects or any contribution to any project.

Developer B: Has a very rich portfolio of complex projects with evidence by his git commits. You can see his coding style. You can see logic and good use of data structures and algorithms in his code base.You know where he is in terms of experience.

The truth is before you're even invited for that Data structures technical interview, there must hav been some kind of screening process (except you applied through refferal). Most often, such interviews are to further screen out applicants.

How do I know you can code if I've not seen anything you've done in the past and you have never worked as a developer before. Worse, I don't know you or anything about you except that you're calling yourself a softwarr developer in your application.

The easiest way to reduce doubts about your inexperience is to show what you've done. How? Portfolio of projects. Where? Github.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Grandlord: 7:38pm On Jan 09, 2022
smiley
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Grandlord: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

There are 2 developers:

Developer A: Data structures and algorithm guru. Has no evidence of real life projects or any contribution to any project.

Developer B: Has a very rich portfolio of complex projects with evidence by his git commits. You can see his coding style. You can see logic and good use of data structures and algorithms in his code base.You know where he is in terms of experience.

The truth is before you're even invited for that Data structures technical interview, there must hav been some kind of screening process (except you applied through refferal). Most often, such interviews are to further screen out applicants.

How do I know you can code if I've not seen anything you've done in the past and you have never worked as a developer before. Worse, I don't know you or anything about you except that you're calling yourself a softwarr developer in your application.

The easiest way to reduce doubts about your inexperience is to show what you've done. How? Portfolio of projects. Where? Github.

Well...top tech companies are big on the whole whiteboard(DSA) interview process. Especially when interviewing for a software engineering role.

They don't really care about the number of projects you've done or your GitHub repos, even if they might be used for screening. It is crazy but it is the standard.

Thankfully many other not-too-techy companies would do with just your projects and brute force programming skills grin
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 8:13pm On Jan 09, 2022
Grandlord:

Well...top tech companies are big on the whole whiteboard(DSA) interview process. Especially when interviewing for a software engineering role.

They don't really care about the number of projects you've done or your GitHub repos, even if they might be used for screening. It is crazy but it is the standard.

Thankfully many other not-too-techy companies would do with just your projects and brute force programming skills grin

Does big tech companies even interview an applicant with zero experience?

Even the start-ups, how do they go about inviting 20 people out of 1000 applications?

What are the criteria?

DSA is important but if you have nothing to show other than "Software Developer" in front of your name in today's world, without referral through your network, you're just trying to cut a tree with a razor blade.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2022
Grandlord:

True.

Many companies don't do whiteboard interviews. It's straight up project-based.

Please would you mind sharing link to such subreddit?
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Well I had just 50 commits and it took me just 2 weeks to get my first job as a programmer when I was ready.
If you can explain to me how you got the job, I'd be very grateful.

3 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Grandlord: 9:12pm On Jan 09, 2022
islamics:

Please would you mind sharing link to such subreddit?

It's a GitHub link actually.

https://github.com/poteto/hiring-without-whiteboards

But project-based interviews aren't easy either. Implementations can be nerve-racking and time-consuming. You need a lot of experience to stand a chance.

The up side is, they aren't like the puzzles and abstract stuff you get with whiteboard. At least you'd be working on something real grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2022
Seun:
If you can explain to me how you got the job, I'd be very grateful.
Just apply to a ton of jobs like it's a job. I was applying to at least 50 jobs a day when I wanted to find a job. Attended a handful of interviews and someone was willing to give me a chance.

2 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Grandlord: 9:43pm On Jan 09, 2022
Lindner:

Does big tech companies even interview an applicant with zero experience?

Even the start-ups, how do they go about inviting 20 people out of 1000 applications?

What are the criteria?

DSA is important but if you have nothing to show other than "Software Developer" in front of your name in today's world, without referral through your network, you're just trying to cut a tree with a razor blade.

grin

True though. But also alternatives to GitHub commits may include:
-Your rank on a competitive programming leaderboard.
-Contributions to open-source projects(This is also GitHub anyway)
-A degree from an ivy League CS program cheesy

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 11:45pm On Jan 09, 2022
Grandlord:

At least you'd be working on something real grin
Yeah there is joy in working in something real though you could be hammered with a real complex scenario, like I was asked to build a real time bidding system recently. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by dragnet: 8:43am On Jan 10, 2022
islamics:

Yeah there is joy in working in something real though you could be hammered with a real complex scenario, like I was asked to build a real time bidding system recently. grin grin grin

Did you submit the code?
Were you paid for it?

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by topboss: 9:56am On Jan 10, 2022
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 10:24am On Jan 10, 2022
dragnet:

Did you submit the code?
Were you paid for it?
I didn't submit ooo. I applied for a Java role and they wanted me to implement in Scala. Then the project complexity pass my level grin. Though I hope to find time, do it and put it for my portfolio too cool.
Are people actually paid when they write project based assessment? Never heard of that.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by dragnet: 1:53pm On Jan 10, 2022
islamics:

I didn't submit ooo. I applied for a Java role and they wanted me to implement in Scala. Then the project complexity pass my level grin. Though I hope to find time, do it and put it for my portfolio too cool.
Are people actually paid when they write project based assessment? Never heard of that.
Yes, some pay you for it while some simply exploit.

2 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Prinss: 9:19pm On Jan 10, 2022
Lindner:
Just goofing around today and checked out my Github profile, contributions section. Picture below.

This is for beginners, as this may not matter when you have some years of experience.

If you're a beginner, your first job is to paint that board green, REALLY GREEN. Light it up with bright green colors.

Often, tech recruiters just look at that section before going to the details.

At a glance, it tells them alot:

1. You've been coding actively.
2. Most times, it separates you from other applicants.
3. If the repositories that make up the contributions are really solid, you're sure to impress.
4. How can someone trust you that you (without experience) can code and that you wouldn't waste their time if they invited you for interview? THIS IS IT.

Generally, this gets your foot in the door. Keeping the door open now depends on what happens afterward.

It's a new year, whatever you do, don't stop learning and don't stop coding.

PS: If you don't know what this is, you've not started. But don't worry, you can start where you are. The only thing that matters is your determination. Your age, gender, academic or financial background, e.t.c, does not matter. I've seen a 56 year old who taught himself how to code. Single mothers with responsibilities e.t.c. One of the people I learnt how to code with was heavily pregnant. What I'm saying is you have no excuse. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE.

Let's do it!!!!

If you were a recruiter I would say using github as a yard stick to confirm one's commitment and programming skill level will be a flaw in your judgement. Not everyone is given to every industry technology trend. Give people the benefit of the doubt to prove themselves. Trends come and go.

Ps: I have read through all your responses on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2022
Prinss:

If you were a recruiter I would say using github as a yard stick to confirm one's commitment and programming skill level will be a flaw in your judgement. Not everyone is given to every industry technology trend. Give people the benefit of the doubt to prove themselves. Trends come and go.

Ps: I have read through all your responses on this thread.

How you even call git a trend baffles me.

This is not about me, it is just what it is whether you like it or not.

Please tell me again, how would you pick out 20 applicants out of 1000 (without work experience) for an interview? You'll interview all 1000? Or you'll send all 1000 a DSA to complete(as has been mentioned here) and review each?

And I'm not a recruiter.

I'm just wondering, what is the problem people have with committing their codes?

You have no experience, how else do you show someone who doesn't know you and probably thousands of miles away what you can do? Word of mouth?

Plus, almost every team uses git in their everyday activity. This is the tool that you'll most likely be using IF you get hired. Can you even use it? Git and Github is like the most basic tool....

I dont know how else I can emphasize this especially for someone without experience. You have no portfolio and then you have phobia of committing your work so that people can just go there and check you out and reach out to you.

I'm curious what these people send in their job applications. Just resume? We focus too much on the technical aspect of our industry. The professional part is extremely important as well.

Before I learned anything, I learned git first and best practises. Thanks to the advice from mentors ahead of me.

So what is the issue here? No one is saying you should know everything about git. Two commands: "git add" and "git commit" intermittently as you code.

I think people should begin to focus more on being professionally attractive as we are acquiring this so called knowledge.

For emphasis, save yourself the time. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU DON'T SHOW THEM. NOBODY WILL FIND YOU IF YOU DON'T MAKE YOURSELF "FINDABLE". From the day you start writing "Hello World", create a github account and commit everything.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Solve This Google Coding Interview Problem? (pics) / Networking Vb Applications / Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.