Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,629 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) (3171 Views)

My Software Dev Journey So Far / Can I Get A Laptop For Efficient Software Dev. With A Low Budget Of 100k ?! / Free Coding Training. Frontend, Backend, UI / UX, Mobile Dev, Software Dev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Eggovic: 5:51am On Jan 11, 2022
Lindner:

How you even call git a trend baffles me.

This is not about me, it is just what it is whether you like it or not.

Please tell me again, how would you pick out 20 applicants out of 1000 (without work experience) for an interview? You'll interview all 1000? Or you'll send all 1000 a DSA to complete(as has been mentioned here) and review each?

And I'm not a recruiter.

I'm just wondering, what is the problem people have with committing their codes?

You have no experience, how else do you show someone who doesn't know you and probably thousands of miles away what you can do? Word of mouth?

Plus, almost every team uses git in their everyday activity. This is the tool that you'll most likely be using IF you get hired. Can you even use it? Git and Github is like the most basic tool....

I dont know how else I can emphasize this especially for someone without experience. You have no portfolio and then you have phobia of committing your work so that people can just go there and check you out and reach out to you.

I'm curious what these people send in their job applications. Just resume? We focus too much on the technical aspect of our industry. The professional part is extremely important as well.

Before I learned anything, I learned git first and best practises. Thanks to the advice from mentors ahead of me.

So what is the issue here? No one is saying you should know everything about git. Two commands: "git add" and "git commit" intermittently as you code.

I think people should begin to focus more on being professionally attractive as we are acquiring this so called knowledge.

For emphasis, save yourself the time. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU DON'T SHOW THEM. NOBODY WILL FIND YOU IF YOU DON'T MAKE YOURSELF "FINDABLE". From the day you start writing "Hello World", create a github account and commit everything.
I don't know why I read this screaming. Your points are valid though. It's part of the reason most recruiters ask for your Github link when applying.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by DUNKA(m): 6:36am On Jan 11, 2022
Seun:
If you can explain to me how you got the job, I'd be very grateful.
Please save the property section from scammers an an ineffective moderator

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything/2710#109263305
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 9:16am On Jan 11, 2022
Eggovic:

I don't know why I read this screaming. Your points are valid though. It's part of the reason most recruiters ask for your Github link when applying.

Unfortunately, going by the feedbacks on this thread, a lot of people don't give a damn about it. Most of the applications i sent out without getting a response from recruiters was when I had scanty github contributions.

Thank God for mentors, it changed dramatically. I didn't know there was something called job application package specific to software development roles.

1. Completed github profile with solid contributions (Open source projects inclusive). With links to your email, portfolio, linkedin e.t.c)

2. Professional linkedin profile. Also tailored and well crafted for software development.

3. Resume (Tailored for software development roles).
4. Cover letter (Needless to say it should be tailored to a particular role).
5. I even built a solid Angelist profile.
6. Stackoverflow profile.

"Miraculously", these changed the game for me and saved me from blindly applying to jobs without getting any response. Since then, I've worked at multiple projects and orgs (only US orgs).

Plus my experience, now I get an average of four unsolicited invitatitions from head hunters per month.

The reason for this shalaye is that technical knowledge is not enough. Sadly.

15 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Eggovic: 10:29am On Jan 11, 2022
Lindner:

Unfortunately, going by the feedbacks on this thread, a lot of people don't give a damn about it. Most of the applications i sent out without getting a response from recruiters was when I had scanty github contributions.

Thank God for mentors, it changed dramatically. I didn't know there was something called job application package specific to software development roles.

1. Completed github profile with solid contributions (Open source projects inclusive). With links to your email, portfolio, linkedin e.t.c)

2. Professional linkedin profile. Also tailored and well crafted for software development.

"Miraculously", these changed the game for me and saved me from blindly applying to jobs without getting any response. Since then, I've worked at multiple projects and orgs (only US orgs).

Plus my experience, now I get an average of four unsolicited invitatitions from head hunters per month.

Your submission is true. All these things matter and make one stand out one way or the other.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:45am On Jan 11, 2022
Lindner:

The last one is very on point even if you are just asking questions. One of the things my boss asks for is a stack overflow or reddit profile to see what kind of comments you have been making if they are related to programming.

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by jesmond3945: 12:09pm On Jan 11, 2022
Seun:
If you can explain to me how you got the job, I'd be very grateful.
ah seun himself dey look for work o grin
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 12:50pm On Jan 11, 2022
jesmond3945:
ah seun himself dey look for work o grin

Is this THE SEUN?

Does not necessarily mean everyone on this thread is looking for work though.

Most times I'm on nairaland when I feel like throwing my system through the window or smashing it against the wall out of frustration. Like right now. 15 minutes task has turned to 4 days of bugs from hell.

7 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by elsiusgr8t(m): 1:06pm On Jan 11, 2022
Lindner:

Is this THE SEUN?

Most times I'm on nairaland when I feel like throwing my system through the window or smashing it against the wall out of frustration. Like right now. 15 minutes task has turned to 4 days of bugs from hell.

I can relate bro smiley smiley
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Xinjin: 8:13am On Jan 12, 2022
Lindner:

Is this THE SEUN?

as a working dev, do you get a fixed time to complete a task?
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Xinjin: 8:21am On Jan 12, 2022
Lindner:

Your points are valid. I had an interview last week, and was asked why my github didn't match my years of experience, lol I had to pause. since then I stop applying and now focus on updating my github.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Xinjin: 10:20am On Jan 12, 2022
Grandlord:

True.

Many companies don't do whiteboard interviews. It's straight up project-based.

I think there's a subreddit where companies in that category are listed.
Actually what I notice myself this days, is project based interview (within a time frame)

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 5:36pm On Jan 12, 2022
Xinjin:
as a working dev, do you get a fixed time to complete a task?

Sure.

Most tasks have a deadline and other devs depend on your output as well.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Lindner: 5:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
Xinjin:
Your points are valid. I had an interview last week, and was asked why my github didn't match my years of experience, lol I had to pause. since then I stop applying and now focus on updating my github.

Yeah. Without actual project evidence, everyone can claim they have 10 years experience freelancing.

I remembered one of my interviews, when the interviewer shared his screen with me, he actually had one of my projects opened in his browser tab. He got it from github, followed the README, downloaded the dependencies and ran the application locally. I was shocked when I saw it how far these guys go. He told me to explain some parts of my code and why I used that particular approach.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Xinjin: 12:18am On Jan 13, 2022
Lindner:

Sure.

Most tasks have a deadline and other devs depend on your output as well.
wow good to know
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Saverin: 11:57am On Jan 16, 2022
Lindner:

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Saverin: 12:51pm On Jan 16, 2022
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by ovanda(m): 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2022
Good day All. Please seniors, help me become a standard java programer. I know Java and I just finished learning Spring,I am moving on to spring boot now. Before now I thought I was going the right way until I stumbled on this post. My plan was that after learning spring boot, I'd also learn spring cloud,microservices, spring security and Docker,in that order. After learning all these,I also intend to brush up my skills in HTML and CSS,I used to be good with until I left it. I also planned to brush up on JavaScript,I used to know that one too , and then I would go ahead and build myself a portfolio, update my LinkedIn profile. But with talk to GitHub I saw here,I don't know if I am going in the right direction. Please,I beg you guys someone should please point me in the right direction plzzzzzz?

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Nabi2000(m): 9:53pm On Feb 28, 2022
Just to add to this topic that there’s no one size fits all in every aspect of life, and nobody knows the defined path, I got a job in about two months after actively applying, actually I got about 6 offers in the space of the 2 months and I still get offers till today. My commits are very minimal, in fact I only make a commit when I’m done with a personal project, I do however have a portfolio that speaks for me and even though I didn’t have experience I was/am still headhunted. If GitHub counts are the metric behind getting jobs then that is a really shallow way of employing people.

4 Likes

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by TheManOfTheYear: 10:30pm On Feb 28, 2022
Nabi2000:
Just to add to this topic that there’s no one size fits all in every aspect of life, and nobody knows the defined path, I got a job in about two months after actively applying, actually I got about 6 offers in the space of the 2 months and I still get offers till today. My commits are very minimal, in fact I only make a commit when I’m done with a personal project, I do however have a portfolio that speaks for me and even though I didn’t have experience I was/am still headhunted. If GitHub counts are the metric behind getting jobs then that is a really shallow way of employing people.
My thoughts exactly, there really isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to these things. It's mainly on recruiters discretion.

For the top FAANG-ish companies, learning DSA and a bit of experience would help you.
For the smaller startups, it may be more of GitHub activity or projects on one's portfolio. This isn't to rule out anything. Learning DSA and contributing to open source would definitely make one stand out the most

1 Like

Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by islamics(m): 9:27pm On Mar 01, 2022
ovanda:
Good day All. Please seniors, help me become a standard java programer. I know Java and I just finished learning Spring,I am moving on to spring boot now. Before now I thought I was going the right way until I stumbled on this post. My plan was that after learning spring boot, I'd also learn spring cloud,microservices, spring security and Docker,in that order. After learning all these,I also intend to brush up my skills in HTML and CSS,I used to be good with until I left it. I also planned to brush up on JavaScript,I used to know that one too , and then I would go ahead and build myself a portfolio, update my LinkedIn profile. But with talk to GitHub I saw here,I don't know if I am going in the right direction. Please,I beg you guys someone should please point me in the right direction plzzzzzz?
GitHub should be incorporated in your learning. Just the basic; how to add, commit, push, pull etcetera. The commands are much, with time/practice you know more or as task demand, you know more. It was just recently I was fully able to grab difference between git pull and fetch and some other command also. It can serve as a repository containing your learned/modified project.
Your timetable dey okay for the spring stuff but can be modified a bit, like you could learn docker through for instance after building a project with spring boot then you deploy using docker. You don sabi concept of docker be that. Build a project and add spring security etc na the way be that. You could even carry a project and re-do it using microservices approach though it is not feasible for all project; na just for learning sake.
With GitHub, all this will be hosted there and if recruiter decide to use GitHub, there will be something una fit discuss about.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by tosinhtml: 12:57am On Mar 02, 2022
Lindner:

If only you used a bit more effort to read through the post, you'll have seen where I referenced "solid repositories" and I'm sure I mentioned "before recruiters go into the detail".

Good luck getting a job with 50 commits as a beginner without experience. Most times, you'll only get to Data Structures and Algorithm stage IF you don't get screened out with your 50 commits.

I never did Data Structures based interview even as an entry level applicant. Thats not to say its not relevant though. Many organisations are adopting take-home "real" application development.

I get that you're giving an advice that newbies should follow which is good but I know a lot of people who would have gotten jobs without an active Github but they still had porfolios added to their CV or Linkedin.

Even if you have 1 Billion commit, some companies will still ask you for DSA interviews, you will still do a take home test.
Re: Recruiters Want To See This Before They Give You A Software Dev Job(pictures) by Prosperity4All: 3:45pm On Mar 02, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly when I was searching for my first job I had just like 50 commits on GitHub.

Your projects are what will give you job interview. Then you need data structures and algorithms to ace the coding interview. Once you are sure your projects are good and up to standard you are better off spending time on leetcode and solving questions everyday.

Bottom line, Having a GitHub portfolio is VERY Important for people in Tech, not only Developers.

But many of us don't even know where to start pushing repositories (how to participate in open source projects)

Here's an Open source project on Discord. Before this, I didn't even know it was possible to actively participate on a large scale project (building my GitHub) without being big on Coding.
This ( https://discord./mqCS2nFSFt ) is Appwrite community building a backend application with roles for virtually everyone (Tech writers for Documentation, Graphics Designers etc are Non-Coding Roles for Tech people)
For those seeking remote jobs, this is a path. Join the community proof yourself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? / Help !! - I Need A Book On Tkinter / POS Terminal For Recharge Card, Bill Payment And Money Transfer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.