Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches (28279 Views)

Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars / Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) / Number Of Commercial Banks Branches In Nigeria By States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by COMPAQ(m): 7:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
mybiz234:

You said every transaction as if it is your father that provides the consistent internet service required for the transactions.

Calm down. Internet in Nigeria is pretty decent. Mobile banking needs minute speeds. Not like you are downloading anything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by neutralmind: 7:42pm On Jan 11, 2022
mybiz234:

You said every transaction as if it is your father that provides the consistent internet service required for the transactions.

I repeat every transaction can be carried out outside a bank branch.

If you wish to prove me wrong, state your point with facts sir/ma

1 Like

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by BenIk10: 7:51pm On Jan 11, 2022
Good one...mbuk
This is one of the worst bank to set it's foot on Nigerian soil.

Too much bottleneck and unnecessary forming

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by asamwababy: 8:58pm On Jan 11, 2022
BenIk10:
Good one...mbuk

Indonmie generation praising the bank.

Bank that messed up themselves years ago with their bottle necks that drove people away from them.

Na now den just wake up.Pray never to have issues with them if not you might shed blood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by koyeni(m): 9:21pm On Jan 11, 2022
omoolokunEsin:
Standard Chartered wey be Bureau de Change wey de call imself bank! Butterfly calling itself bird! Bathroom calling itself river! Abeg, make we hear word.
I've used lots of bank. Standard chartered is the best

1 Like

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by koyeni(m): 9:25pm On Jan 11, 2022
harjay1986:

Oga if you dont know anything about banking just waka pass, I never see any bank in Nigeria that can stand one on one with standard, do you want to talk about their customer care support or transaction processes, yes they may have few brick and mortal but their efficiency cant be compare to those nonsense bank in Nigeria

You are very right. I rate them 96%

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by Melaninprincess(f): 9:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
As expected. Customer base isn't large so no need for plenty branches

1 Like

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by okwadatigbogal: 9:42pm On Jan 11, 2022
Rilwayne001:
I’ve been using the bank for almost 2 years now, and I never stepped into any of its branches, even for ATM and customer care service.

And I promise you, it’s the best bank I ever banked with, way better than the other conventional banks.

I believe they’re very well ready for life after this steps they’re about to take.

The world is going digital.

I am telling you! I love standard chartered. Reall you can perform all your business without stepping into the bank....I give them a B+ for customer service.

1 Like

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by funshint(m): 10:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
angelfallz:
Guy, read well na.
Did the op say the bank is shutting down? The closed some of their branches.
I have read about the news on nairametrics website, they're transitioning fully into a digital bank, which is where the trend is heading.

angelfallz:
Guy, read well na.
Did the op say the bank is shutting down? The closed some of their branches.
I have read about the news on nairametrics website, they're transitioning fully into a digital bank, which is where the trend is heading.

u sef read in-between the lines. So many staffs will be laid off with this move. There's more to it than just "going digital".
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by funshint(m): 10:32pm On Jan 11, 2022
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by funshint(m): 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2022
BenIk10:
Good one...mbuk

The truth is they were mainly setup to service multinational companies in Nigeria inorder to smoothen the money laundering/transfer process for them. Consumer banking wasn't really their goal. Now the economy has bitten the companies hard. This has also affected them; everybody is looking for a way to reduce their cost of operation and eventually pull out of this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by ashawopikin(m): 10:43pm On Jan 11, 2022
Dem wey no even get branches before, the few ones wey dey, dem wan close am
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by stephenponti(m): 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2022
Rilwayne001:
I’ve been using the bank for almost 2 years now, and I never stepped into any of its branches, even for ATM and customer care service.

And I promise you, it’s the best bank I ever banked with, way better than the other conventional banks.

I believe they’re very well ready for life after this steps they’re about to take.

The world is going digital.

It baffles me when people ask my account number for payments and i call Standard Chartered Bank they're like standing ibtc? I said no Standard Chartered Bank they will say I have never heard about this bank before.
The best bank you will deposit money & check out in 6 months your money is not deducted mischievously.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by investigator007: 11:54pm On Jan 11, 2022
Na wa, won't this shit down affect some people's jobs
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by heyhey2016: 11:57pm On Jan 11, 2022
reno is that you?
socialmediaman:

The video games you played when you were younger, you saw signboards of brands like Nike while you're playing your adventures or football inside the games, right? That's advertising. Nike bought that space inside that game arena you played. Now they're taking it another level with a concept called metaverse. Metaverse was created so that people can wear their VR gears and do things in the virtual world like attend church services, play games, meet other people etc. While you're doing those things on the virtual world created by Facebook or other companies, your bank buys a virtual land/property inside the metaverse so that you'll still be seeing them in that virtual world. Search on YouTube for Metaverse you'll see more information. Maybe one day in the future of unborn generations in Nigeria, people can sit in their homes and go cast their presidential election votes on the Nigerian metaverse and avoid all the ballot snatching and violence hahahaha
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by Samuelriano1(m): 12:19am On Jan 12, 2022
izzy4shizzy:
Yahoo boys bank
some of you will just open mouth and spill trash. yahoo boys bank ko
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by sulaak(m): 7:10am On Jan 12, 2022
socialmediaman:
Buharinomics economy has hit them!

The excuse of course is digital banking expansion, lie lie. You don’t close physical branches, you still need your brick and mortar stores to keep your brand on the minds of everyday business people. Banks abroad have branches all over, but in those branches, you may see less than 5 people in a whole branch. They are there for a reason, it's part of advertising. They are even buying properties on the metaverse now to continue advertising

Are you aware that there are now many banks that have never opened a physical branch?

In the UK

Starling Bank is a digital challenger bank based in the United Kingdom, which focuses on current and business account products. Headquartered in London, Starling Bank is a licensed and regulated bank, founded by former Allied Irish Banks COO, Anne Boden, in January 2014. Wikipedia
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by jimter44(m): 9:50am On Jan 12, 2022
Kobicove:

What's good about it?

People are going to loose their jobs! angry
More people will get jobs through rendering agency banking services.
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by ufotunang: 12:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
See what Buhari had caused.... when the bank is operating on a harsh hard unconducive environment....many of those bank workers will lose their jobs
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by amona(m): 12:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
So, i feel great concern about life that will be affected and lets come to reality that its not too late to start something online or acquiring skill that will still be in existence for life.

Standard Chartered has been my bank from time till now and I can give them 100% on their digital work and integration, now that this occur that they want to lay down some of their staff which easily mean that, the work 100 people can do , they can automate it online and one two high skill staff will handle it.
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by Acidosis(m): 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
ufotunang:
See what Buhari had caused.... when the bank is operating on a harsh hard unconducive environment....many of those bank workers will lose their jobs

This is not about Buhari or Nigeria.

As reported on Financial Times

Standard Chartered plans to close half its branches and reduce global office space by a third, as it seeks to save costs by permanently adopting changes to working practices and retail banking that accelerated during the coronavirus pandemic.

Chief financial officer Andy Halford said the emerging markets-focused lender would slash its network to 400 from 776 branches after they experienced less usage during worldwide lockdowns in 2020. It will take a $500m charge this year to do so.

StanChart’s physical footprint has been declining over the past five years. It operated 1,068 branches across Asia, the Middle East and Africa back in 2016, but Covid has hastened a trend to online and mobile banking.

Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by anthropizzy(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
Melaninprincess:
As expected. Customer base isn't large so no need for plenty branches

You are right.

And with that you can be rest assured that you will get the best out of them.
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by anthropizzy(m): 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2022
dre11:
Standard Chartered Plc is closing about half its Nigerian branches in a pivot to digital banking, according to people familiar with the matter, as...

https://dailytrust.com/standard-chartered-to-shut-half-of-nigerian-branches

Well this is no news to me because a bank that has a small customer base and majorly focus on corporate banking.

What actually made them to resort to this measures is that corporate banking is no more feasible and the nosediving economy is affecting their corporate banking so therefore they are now focusing on retail banking which all banks in Nigeria are fixating on.
Also they are trying to reduce operational cost that some of their branches are incurring and in return some of their branches are running at a loss so therefore it will make sense for them to shut some down and look for alternative ways which is using agency bank.
I would like to ask what is the network coverage of their agency banking because in yaba-Ebute-metta area they don't have a single agent banking.
I doubt if this new initiative would work well because this is a country that is not well technological driven.
Re: Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches by Depsui(m): 2:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
neutralmind:

I repeat every transaction can be carried out outside a bank branch.

If you wish to prove me wrong, state your point with facts sir/ma

How do you deposit cash into your account?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Major Shipping Lines Quit Nigeria As Freight Rates & Trade Volume Crashes / Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg / Flutterwave Launches Swap To Solve Nigeria’s FX Problems, Backed By The CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.