Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,193 members, 7,953,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? (550 Views)

I Stumbled Upon This Free Creative And Freelance Writing Course / "We're Hiring!" - Lemuel Irabor's Freelance Writing Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by doeboi: 5:26pm On Jan 11, 2022
I know a few freelance writers who always complain bitterly about how much they hate the job. Their complaints don't come from their hatred for writing (they love writing and are very good at it), it's actually the clients they work with that make the job tiring.

Their first complaint is usually the payment being offered, which falls between N1 per word and N2. The lucky ones manage to get clients that pay N3 to N5 per word (is that even a fair price for content creation?).

Now their second and most bitter complaint is the pay-after-service policy being handed them. It's bad enough that the pay is small, but having to wait for it only shows how much disregard clients here have for writers and how little value they place on intellectual property.

It also shows that a lot of freelance writers have nothing better to do, which is why they accept such demeaning jobs to keep body and soul together.

According to them, if the pay was large enough then they wouldn't mind waiting to receive their monies after service. But imagine being offered a 1,000 word job that pays N1 per word, and being made to wait until submission to receive N1,000

I found that very laughable. The worst part is, the client might ask for several revisions before releasing the funds to the poor writer!

I advised them find more rewarding offers from IG, Facebook, Upwork, and Fiverr if they are no longer enjoying their Nairaland clients.

I also advised them to author their own books and sell to at least their social media followers, then publish on okadabooks, kindle etc), or start their own blog. It's true the reward won't come immediately, but it'll come in a much bigger package when the time is right.

So what do you think? Does it make sense for a client to reach out to you, ask you to send samples of your work, give you a task to do, then boldly tells you he will only pay you after your work has been submitted and approved?

What then were the samples for? Aren't they meant to show your writing skills? Abi the client put juju for mouth?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Hashabiah: 5:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
I have taken a vow never to write for people on this forum, especially the ones who demand heaven and earth and require that you collect N1/pw on a content that might probably be SEO optimized for a US or Canadian audience.

3 Likes

Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Envalley: 1:18am On Jan 12, 2022
Do you know that having good reviews in your Upwork profile can help your freelance career hugely? Good reviews in your profile will get you job offers. Before any client would send you an invite for a job, such a client would have gone through your profile to see your reviews. A good freelancer should have at least three good reviews. Good reviews boost the confidence that you'll have job offers. NOW LISTEN, I can help YOU with that. For as little as nothing, I'll sell you good reviews. Payment would be made After a job is done. email me at eniowothefortunatechild@gmail.com if you need good reviews in your upwork profile.
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by doeboi: 2:18am On Jan 12, 2022
Hashabiah:
I have taken a vow never to write for people on this forum, especially the ones who demand heaven and earth and require that you collect N1/pw on a content that might probably be SEO optimized for a US or Canadian audience.

Avoid such clients at all cost!
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by studentwriter(m): 1:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Hashabiah:
Outsourcers from nairaland are devilish and inhumane.
if I relay my experiences you'll pity me and hate the writing profession
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Quickening(f): 6:05am On Aug 28
We need a professional writer to take on a couple of Christian writing projects. Ranging from Ebook writing etc. Please send an email to Quickening100@gmail.com.
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Blueace247(f): 8:59pm On Sep 02
Hashabiah:

I wrote for one ediot, for N24k, to pay problem, he was still bragging that he collect the deal for $300..I was mad in spirit
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by seoexpertvivek: 12:41am On Sep 03
Hire best SEO Expert Delhi and best SEO freelancer Delhi for the Digital Marketing and SEO Services. An SEO Expert – Having Deep Knowledge of Digital Marketing, During my Digital Marketing professional career, I have worked on diverse projects consisting of SEO, SMO, PPC, Blogging, Copywriting, Local Search Marketing, Lead Generation, Inbound Marketing, Screen Casting, YouTube SEO and more projects. Visit: https://seoexpertdelhi.in/
Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Joeposh: 7:09am On Sep 03
Need a YouTube script writer for a YouTube channel to write me engaging short scripts for movie fans constantly but must be fan of DC & Marvel movies. NB - No Ai pls.
Check the file attached but the first three topics are unavailable. Contact me via Whatsapp Asap - 09069676347

Re: Freelance Writing: Pay Before Or After Service? by Joeposh: 7:18am On Sep 03
Hashabiah:
@Hashabiah Do you write YouTube script, short engaging script for movie fan base DC & Marvel films, check the file attached but the first three topics are unavailable.
if yes please contact me via Whatsapp 09069676347
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Eulogizing My Country / When Champions Turn To Beggars / Crypto Niche Rewriters Needed Urgently

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.