Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,911 members, 7,835,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight (374 Views)

COVID 19: How The Fleecing Of Nigeria Was Thwarted. / Restructuring: South Has Majority In The Legislative House, North Is A Minority. / EFCC Probes Syndicate Fleecing Vips Over Buhari’s Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by ehnukiny: 5:00pm On Jan 13, 2022
Unlike what obtains in other mature democracies, like the US where there is a single Armed Services Committee in the Senate and one in the House of Representatives, oversighting a military that’s more than 1 million strong, in Nigeria we have committee on army , then committee on navy, another committee on Air Force and still another committee on Defence! duplicated in both houses, oversighting an armed force of less than 300,000.

Apart from this wasteful duplication, an erroneous belief seems to have taken hold that once a legislator is a member of such military oversight committees, then his role is simply to use his influence push in often substandard candidates into the armed forces or to breathe on the necks of the military services to promote officers who do not deserve promotion or post officers to certain positions.

This interference is not only dangerous and makes our armed forces less professional, it is also a complete opposite of what legislative oversight of the military means in a democracy.

A legislator on a military oversight committee, is supposed to hold the military services accountable to ensure the standards and regulations regarding recruitment, promotion and retirement are strictly followed thereby ensuring professionalism.

He is to ensure the appropriate funding of the military through budgetary appropriation and afterwards follow up to see that the monies appropriated are used judiciously. In sum he is to ensure a military that is adequately equipped, trained and maintained.

He is also to ensure the proportional representation of Nigerians within the military.

Where the military fails to do any of this the legislator should shout out. He is to do all this without necessarily interfering in professional operational matters: for example he is not to tell the services to post a particular commander to a particular operational area as that is purely an operational professional issue.

It’s therefore disconcerting when our legislators interfere with recruitment and promotion and posting issues in the belief that they are serving their constituency. You serve your constituency by ensuring during recruitment it is represented with qualified persons but not by forcing the military to accept substandard candidates from your constituency as by doing that you are harming the military and harming national security. It’s important that legislators understand this.

It’s also important that military top brass summon the moral courage to resist any attempt by politicians to lower well known military standards in matters of recruitment promotion and posting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by professore(m): 6:51pm On Jan 13, 2022
Okay

Meanwhile check my signature below

1 Like

Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by ajumma(m): 9:00am On Jan 14, 2022
professore:
Okay

Meanwhile check my signature below

okay
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by SarkinYarki: 9:34am On Jan 14, 2022
Someone I know on a military oversight committee in the house

1 Like

Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by professore(m): 9:56am On Jan 14, 2022
ajumma:

okay
with as low as 50k you are on your journey of becoming a land owner.

1 Like

Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by ajumma(m): 10:17am On Jan 14, 2022
professore:
with as low as 50k you are on your journey of becoming a land owner.

scam
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by professore(m): 11:31pm On Jan 14, 2022
ajumma:

scam
pls do not carry curse with your head. You can come to our headquarters at Berger. Or just do your findings on your phone. December we made initial payment to be as low as 20k. If u are buying 2million worth of land from us, with the initial payment of 50k, you will still balance up so that is it.
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by ajumma(m): 3:41pm On Jan 15, 2022
professore:
pls do not carry curse with your head. You can come to our headquarters at Berger. Or just do your findings on your phone. December we made initial payment to be as low as 20k. If u are buying 2million worth of land from us, with the initial payment of 50k, you will still balance up so that is it.

you are a ritualist then

what is the correlation between land investment and curse?
this how you lure innocent Nigerian

dan iska
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by professore(m): 8:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
ajumma:

you are a ritualist then

what is the correlation between land investment and curse?
this how you lure innocent Nigerian

dan iska
God will make you a ritualist. Pls stop quoting me. I don't want to defile my profile chatting with a character like you.
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by ajumma(m): 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2022
professore:
God will make you a ritualist. Pls stop quoting me. I don't want to defile my profile chatting with a character like you.

dan kwaya kowai

swindle people upandan
Re: How The Legislative Are Fleecing The The Nigerian Military With Oversight by professore(m): 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
ajumma:

dan kwaya kowai

swindle people upandan
but if we don't swindle people God will punish. And whatever you do, there will always be spmeone to tarnish your image. Goodbye.

(1) (Reply)

RE: Orji Uzo Kalu's Lacklustre Performance In Arisetv Interview(Throwback) / Disband APC Now ,Northwest Ex-gov. Declares / w

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.