Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,095 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? (11546 Views)

Tinubu Is Too Old To Lead Nigeria, He Is Supposed To Be Resting - Iyabo Ojo / Kogi Election 2019: Disturbing Videos Of Gun Battles And Deaths In Kogi State / Emir Sanusi Is Supposed To Report To Local Government Chairman Not Me – Ganduje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by khadaffi(m): 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2022
fergie001:

Most oftimes than not, the LGAs don't even register, unless for children between 0-2 years old. There are NPC officials in every LGA in the Country who carry out that function.

Again, there is some duplication, because Part Ii of the NIMC Act also empowers the NIMC to register births and deaths as well. So you have roughly three bodies doing the same thing.

The NPC is the safest place to 'hide'.

NIMC is under NPC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fkj950ax(m): 2:27pm On Jan 14, 2022
NPC should do both from offices or centres it sets up in LGAs.
It could use staff of the LGAs trained according to NPC protocols.

The key thing here is the records from these registrations. NPC should be the custodian of these records and not the LGAs.

Searches and any administrative requests should be through NPC systems or portals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Misterone: 2:31pm On Jan 14, 2022
xseed:
It is national population commission through local government councils.
the NPC has authority to register birth and death but through the LGAs. the NPC provides the register while the LGA does the registration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by ButterBurger: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2022
To hell with national population commission.
It's the duty of the local governments

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fergie001: 3:04pm On Jan 14, 2022
khadaffi:
NIMC is under NPC.
I don't think so.

The NIMC is under the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy whilst the NPC is an autonomous body.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
Henceforth, NIMC will take charge of everything. All hail patami, the digital minister

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by khadaffi(m): 4:17pm On Jan 14, 2022
fergie001:

I don't think so.

The NIMC is under the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy whilst the NPC is an autonomous body.

There is a signboard in the NIMC office in Benin city that stated clearly they are under the NPC. It's a green signboard.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Bimpe29: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2022
Nigeria and controversy shaaa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Chukwumawisdom: 4:35pm On Jan 14, 2022
U are knowledgeable.
Shetemi12:
It is Environmental Health Officers in Local government, mortuary and health centers that registers death and birth even issue certificate

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fergie001: 5:37pm On Jan 14, 2022
khadaffi:

There is a signboard in the NIMC office in Benin city that stated clearly they are under the NPC. It's a green signboard.
That information is suspect.

The NIMC used to be under the Office of the Secretary of the Federation until President Buhari moved it to the Ministry of Communications & Digital Economy last year.

That signboard might not be exactly correct.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Daare: 1:14am On Jan 15, 2022
The NPC should have their offices in every LGA/LCDA secretariat.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by Gidagreen(m): 8:39am On Jan 15, 2022
NPC usually have offices in various local government

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:24am On Jan 15, 2022
fergie001:

You don't need to register on all three....

In rural villages, if the child is born @ home...the parents will obtain a proof of birth from the LGA, and later forward same to the NPC for processing of the birth certificate.

If the child is born in the hospital....You will obtain a notification of birth containing all details of the child from the hospital (usually called " certificate of live birth), then you submit same to the NPC.

So registration per se can be carried out in many places, LGA, Church, hospital but by law, all is expected to get to the NPC for National Planning Purposes and issuance of Birth Certificates.

Again, an NPC official is attached to every LGA so information can be shared.

The NPC and NIMC is just some duplication.......NPC is Constitutionally empowered to issue birth certificates.

Thus, Citizenship By Birth is totally dependent on The Citizens Registration-Number on the NPC’s “Birth Register”??
And that means, for any Citizen whose name is NOT on the NPC’s “Birth Register”, (no matter where he registered his birth, even if it's NIMC’s Register), then such a “Citizen” is not truly a Nigerian Citizen??
And now to the main question...
As at the moment, does the NPC have a compiled data of all the births (and deaths) in the country in order to issue birth certificates (and death certificates) to the citizens?
Also, do Citizens have their official NPC-Issued Citizens-Numbers as we speak??
Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:32am On Jan 15, 2022
fkj950ax:
NPC should do both from offices or centres it sets up in LGAs.
It could use staff of the LGAs trained according to NPC protocols.

The key thing here is the records from these registrations. NPC should be the custodian of these records and not the LGAs.

Searches and any administrative requests should be through NPC systems or portals.
Thanks for your contributions.
I think I understand the whole situation better now.
Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2022
FreelanceRebel:
Henceforth, NIMC will take charge of everything. All hail patami, the digital minister
Why are my eyes seeing:...
“THE DIGITAL MONSTER”?? shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fergie001: 12:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
Thus, Citizenship By Birth is totally dependent on The Citizens Registration-Number on the NPC’s “Birth Register”??
And that means, for any Citizen whose name is NOT on the NPC’s “Birth Register”, (no matter where he registered his birth, even if it's NIMC’s Register), then such a “Citizen” is not truly a Nigerian Citizen??
This is very correct

And now to the main question...
As at the moment, does the NPC have a compiled data of all the births (and deaths) in the country in order to issue birth certificates (and death certificates) to the citizens?
No........

1st - This is because of the cutting-corners system we have.
2nd - It isn't digitized hence not as accurate as it should be.
3rd - Little Information esp in rural homes
4th - No regulation, how many hospitals are registered let alone.

Take a look @ this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/6863430/n500-obtain-birth-certificate-non-existent/2#107884224

Also, do Citizens have their official NPC-Issued Citizens-Numbers as we speak??
Don't think so...

The authorities aren't even doing enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
fergie001:

This is very correct

No........

https://www.nairaland.com/6863430/n500-obtain-birth-certificate-non-existent/2#107884224

Don't think so...

Thanks so much for all your sincere and enlightening responses.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fergie001: 12:20pm On Jan 15, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
Thanks so much for all your sincere and enlightening responses.
Always welcome Sir
Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 9:14am On Jan 17, 2022
fergie001:

This is very correct

No........

Don't think so...

I am doing some further researches on the NPC and NIMC.
Even though a staff of NPC confided in me that they planned to work hand-in-hand with the NIMC in this upcoming #Census2022, I have not yet confirmed same from any staff of NIMC.
Nevertheless, I still have some puzzles which I am yet to crack.
1. Since it had been clear to us that the NPC does NOT issue unique registration numbers to each of the persons whose births had been captured and enrolled in their Birth Register (so as to facilitate easy tracking of the information of such registered persons with the unique registration number of the person on the NPC Birth Register), Do you think that issuing such a unique number from the NPC would now be necessary again, since there is the NIN Number already being issued by the NIMC, bearing in mind that NIMC and NPC would soon start working together.?

2. Since the #Census2022 would be captured digitally, and thus we are expecting the Census to give Birth to a strong complete database of all Nigerians (both citizens and residents), Does it now mean that all the other database systems that registered and stored the identity information of Nigerians such as the NIMC, INEC, Immigration Services, Telecoms-NCC, Bank-BVN, and so on, are going to key-in into the robust NPC database, and then synchronise all their information together??
Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by fergie001: 9:50am On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
I am doing some further researches on the NPC and NIMC.
Even though a staff of NPC confided in me that they planned to work hand-in-hand with the NIMC in this upcoming #Census2022, I have not yet confirmed same from any staff of NIMC.
Nevertheless, I still have some puzzles which I am yet to crack.
The NPC constitutionally has the rights and they are pulling their strengths. For now, no communication on the role of the NIMC in the forthcoming "digital' census this year.

1. Since it had been clear to us that the NPC does NOT issue unique registration numbers to each of the persons whose births had been captured and enrolled in their Birth Register (so as to facilitate easy tracking of the information of such registered persons with the unique registration number of the person on the NPC Birth Register), Do you think that issuing such a unique number from the NPC would now be necessary again, since there is the NIN Number already being issued by the NIMC, bearing in mind that NIMC and NPC would soon start working together.?
I don't think it will be necessary. Unique numbers have been issued by the NIMC already, which is just to check multiple identity theft.

However, I will be unperturbed if the NPC issue theirs, because there has been this subtle power-show between both Commissions.

2. Since the #Census2022 would be captured digitally, and thus we are expecting the Census to give Birth to a strong complete database of all Nigerians (both citizens and residents), Does it now mean thay all the other database systems that registered and stored the identity information of Nigerians such as the NIMC, INEC, Immigration Services, Telecoms-NCC, Bank-BVN, and so on, are going to key-in into the robust NPC database, and then synchronise all their information together??
For now, even those in authority are as confused as we are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Constitution Puzzle: Who Is Supposed To Register “Births” And “Deaths”? by BluntCrazeMan: 10:18am On Jan 17, 2022
fergie001:

The NPC constitutionally has the rights and they are pulling their strengths. For now, no communication on the role of the NIMC in the forthcoming "digital' census this year.

I don't think it will be necessary. Unique numbers have been issued by the NIMC already, which is just to check multiple identity theft.

However, I will be unperturbed if the NPC issue theirs, because there has been this subtle power-show between both Commissions.

For now, even those in authority are as confused as we are.
Na Waa Ooo..
God help us ooo.
This our country is still very very far from being in control of its own systems.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Yam Traders Drum Support For Tinubu, Sanwo-olu (photos) / Lagos Court Grants Emefiele N50m Bail / 47 Career Ambassadors Assigned Portfolios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.