Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Dreams And Tears (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dreams And Tears (A Short Story) (528 Views)

Behind The Mask - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dreams And Tears (A Short Story) by frankwriter(m): 1:36am On Jan 16, 2022
***Dreams & Tears***

Falling in love is awfully simple but falling out of love is simply awful.

Martins and I have been in an open relationship for two years now. 'Open relationship' in the sense that everyone on my Facebook and WhatsApp list knew about us. We were popular on social media like Temi Otedola and Mr. Eazi

Every now and then, I posted his pictures on my status, and sometimes with a long epistle; describing how much I loved him –and how caring–and loving he is. He reciprocated. Most times, my picture always appear last on his status with the caption, “Goodnight”.
We were so obsessed with each other, sending love texts and voice notes on WhatsApp.

I was really hopeful Martins would be my final bus stop, after my dealings with several guys.
I’m Sonia. A graduate. Born twenty years ago in the family of four. The second child of my late parents.

Martins and I got to know each other through a radio program (a hookup show). It was one of those late night hookup programs I love listening to before going to bed. That fateful night, he sent a text to the anchor, requesting for a lover between 23 – 25 years. Tall and hard-working kinda girl.
In that same text, he described himself, his location, height and what he was into.
I was attracted by his mindset. So, I took his number but didn’t have the zeal to call him that night. Later in the morning, I dialed his number, we talked and laughed like we have known each other for years. Two months later, we met –and the rest was history.

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, Martins sent me a message, asking if we could chat later on Facebook. It was the first time he initiated a chat after a long quarrel we had.
“What's up?” I hopped on the chat with the phone in one hand and a cup of tea in the other hand. I walked towards the couch and – looked forward to seeing his reply.

"Can we be ordinary friends?" that was the response that popped up on my screen.
“What? What did I do wrong? Are you kidding?” I presumed he was joking.

I soon realized he was not.
This was the same man who not long ago asked me what would I like as my birthday present, because my birthday was the following day.
He had promised to introduce me to his entire family on my birthday. It was the best thing I ever had him say. I was filled with joy and happiness. But, here he is, trying to tear my world apart.

He seemed not happy with the relationship anymore. I could see it written boldly on his face. He walked restlessly round the corner of the house. And, finally he decided to open up.

“You did nothing wrong. It’s chemistry. I don’t think we’re compatible,” he declared.

His words sank down my bone marrows. It seemed my intestines were being cut off my belly. My stomach churne. I felt my heart beating faster than normal. I was dumbfounded and couldn’t utter any word. My heart bleeds unknown to him.

“Go talk to your friends, you will be fine. Enjoy your birthday tomorrow.” He said and left.

I wanted to call him by his name but my mouth was heavy. I couldn’t make a move. I stood still like a tree and watched the love of my life walked out on me.

When finally I couldn’t see him again, I ran back to the bedroom and cried out. I wished I could shout down the building, so everyone would know my heart was broken, but I couldn’t. I cried quietly on my bed. Tears trickled down uncontrollable. My mouth felt the salty tears but I was unbothered.

He couldn't even wait till after my birthday or could this be the birthday present he was preparing for me all along? I asked myself. Martins was not just my partner, he was a friend, a lover, my philosopher and anything I could think of. Many thoughts rushed through my head.

Then and there, I professed to myself you are so unlucky with relationship.

©️2021
Franklin Chinonso Okoligan

Twitter & IG: frankwriter1

#storyteller

(1) (Reply)

US Issues Warning To Countries Arming Russia, South Africa Hits Back / Udenta@60: A Short Profile Of Prof Udenta O. Udenta / Poetry: Your Pouring Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.