Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

The Death Of The Phone Section - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Death Of The Phone Section (2699 Views)

This Rubbish Behavior On The Phone Section Should End. / So Guys In The Phone Section...what Do You Think? Is This Accurate, Or Stupid? / Most Stupid Quotes I've Seen On Nairaland Phone Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 10:11am On Jan 16, 2022
Happy Sunday to you all.

I'm sure a lot of us are at our religion places of worship and wouldn't see this till the middle of the week probably.

I'm very saddened by what the phone section has turned into. In 2018/19, the phone section had a resurgence which boomed during the pandemic/lockdown period.

I met really great and intelligent people here on this section. A lot of which have gone on to be real life friends that I chat with. SunshineV the trouble maker is one person I follow because of his clownery. He's very funny. Randerl, Krazydave, Mrbones2, Skywalker240, drdjay and the rest of the crew that year can bomb a thread and give it life. Hakeem4 na silent genius. Zimri dey show face this side once in a while. Womenareapes na another clown when I know. Hakeem12, dragnetisakuk, osasnidas, charisgrace, yochanan, olayinkajnr etc. if I miss your name please forgive me.

Today most of the threads are dead or dying. The only thread still fully functioning is the Xiaomi thread thanks to the valiant efforts of genius43.

So what happened to the rest of the phone section?

1. Sellers
The success of the phone section drove sellers to leave their market section and advertise their goods here. They knowingly flouted the no advert rule and nothing happened. The entire phone section is one big market now. There are no interesting topics, just people selling phones. Even the brand wars are dead. The phone section is now the phone market.

2. Silly unreasonable bans
A good number of very active Nairaland members were banned unnecessary over flimsy stuff whilst real trolls continued to wreak havoc. This partiality made a lot of Nairalanders pack up and leave. Some went to Telegram. A good number have moved to FB. FB has very huge Nigerian communities that are attracting foreigners now.

3. Lackadaisical moderators
Apart from serious fights, the phone section is simply left alone to it's own devices. There are no checks and unfollowed rules are not enforced. Mods are more interested in punitive actions against dissident voices than actually cleaning up the phone section. Calling one a light-hearted "oversabi" earned me a 1 week ban in 2020.

4. Frontpage appearance
Topics from this section are allowed to rot and die but as soon as a select group of people posted topics, our mods will awake from hibernation and send it to the FP almost immediately. In the meantime people who eat, drink and sleep on Nairaland are ignored.

5. Brain drain
As earlier said, the best minds on Nairaland have fallen out of love with the forum. They only show up once in a while and then they're gone. With these minds gone, a huge portion of the readership has disappeared in their wake.

6. Life
Omo if life was hard before the pandemic ehn, it was enjoyment then compared to now. People are hustling and have no time for the site.

Conclusion
I still remember Nairaland as it was two/three years ago. It's still Nigeria's number one forum but it needs to clean up it's act and put it's house in order.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by FBIBOT(m): 10:21am On Jan 16, 2022
Same here... Bought my current device with the help of the phone section.. That blossom thread died and everyone moved on.... Phone section back in then too was really lively hardly will you visit without learning about one thing or another

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 10:44am On Jan 16, 2022
FBIBOT:
Same here... Bought my current device with the help of the phone section.. That blossom thread died and everyone moved on.... Phone section back in then too was really lively hardly will you visit without learning about one thing or another

I am telling you.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Mchearan: 11:10am On Jan 16, 2022
Blame xiaomi addicts that are always ready to launch attacks on other brands

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 11:13am On Jan 16, 2022
Mchearan:
Blame xiaomi addicts that are always ready to launch attacks on other brands

Those "Xiaomi addicts" actually made this section lively and the topics were more phone oriented.

Rather than apportioning blame, the way forward should be your prime concern. Most of the people you mentioned have been banned, yet the phone section is not improving.

12 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Mchearan: 11:17am On Jan 16, 2022
atheistandproud:

Those "Xiaomi addicts" actually made this section lively and the topics were more phone oriented.

Rather than apportioning blame, the way forward should be your prime concern. Most of the people you mentioned have been banned, yet the phone section is not improving.
They should rot in ban. they deserved it. na dem kill phone section with hatred towards other brands. many people lost interest coming here to phone section simple because we are tired of their toxicity

1 Like

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 11:23am On Jan 16, 2022
Mchearan:

They should rot in ban. they deserved it. na dem kill phone section with hatred towards other brands. many people lost interest coming here to phone section simple because we are tired of their toxicity

Has the phone section improved?

You seem to forget that there were two sides to the toxicity and you're tacitly endorsing one side over the other.

Do you know the insults and toxicity that I personally recieved on this site because many people believed that I was biased towards for Xiaomi against Transsion.

Is it not up till recently that many have realized that I was trying to be fair, that was when the insults stopped?

Oga, right now you're being the very thing that you're accusing them of. I didn't open this thread to fight or point fingers.

What is the way forward?

1 Like

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by lanre316: 11:31am On Jan 16, 2022
I think it's because young people then are growing up now and generally are more interested in money-making ventures than arguing which phone brand is better. Responsibilities are catching up to them and their younger brothers and sisters are more interested in skits and tik toks than engaging in nairaland discussions.

Quality posts are gradually eroding from nairaland and I don't blame nairaland for it. It's general problem. The IQ to engage in intellectual discussions is getting lower and lower with each generation. Worse with current teenagers. They are more into photos and videos now. They don't have mental stamina to read long discussions.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 11:32am On Jan 16, 2022
lanre316:
I think it's because young people then are growing up now and generally are more interested in money-making ventures than arguing which phone brand is better. Responsibilities are catching up to them and their younger brothers and sisters are more interested in skits and tik toks than engaging in nairaland discussions.

Quality posts are gradually eroding from nairaland and I don't blame nairaland for it. It's general problem. The IQ to engage in intellectual discussions is getting lower and lower with each generation. Worse with current teenagers. They are more into photos and videos now. They don't have mental stamina to read long discussions.

This makes a lot more sense.

So in other words, this section is dead then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Mchearan: 11:38am On Jan 16, 2022
atheistandproud:

Has the phone section improved?

You seem to forget that there were two sides to the toxicity and you're tacitly endorsing one side over the other.

Do you know the insults and toxicity that I personally recieved on this site because many people believed that I was biased towards for Xiaomi against Transsion.

Is it not up till recently that many have realized that I was trying to be fair, that was when the insults stopped?

Oga, right now you're being the very thing that you're accusing them of. I didn't open this thread to fight or point fingers.

What is the way forward?
I'm not trying to point fingers. just trying to let you know the genesis of the problem. they are not the only Xiaomi users. they got banned frequently just because of using vulgar languages .. I've been a silent follower of phone session but i lost interest because it came to a point that i can't even read anything reasonable here again other than throwing tantrums, insults etc from these Xiaomi addicts. sometimes i asked myself is it not the same Xiaomi I'm using (attached below is the evidence) so that you won't have it in mind that I'm writing this to show hatred on Xiaomi. well kudos to someone like you that still put many articles up for educative and informative purposes. but those Loyalists you previously mentioned, did more damages to this phone session than good.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Parrie(m): 11:38am On Jan 16, 2022
Honourable mention to thepoweruser. Dude is a genius, when it comes to explaining chipset architectures.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Abraham22(m): 11:55am On Jan 16, 2022
Bought my current device with the help of the phone section
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Ernerstdavid55(m): 12:43pm On Jan 16, 2022
I think scammers killed the thread people dat advertise phone with rediculous price yet wen u buy ,u find out the phone is bad.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Ernerstdavid55(m): 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2022
Generally scammers are killing nairaland,nobody is genuine.all this boys dat want to use nairaland to start yahoo grin
Property section laptop,phone section dem full there

1 Like

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Ernerstdavid55(m): 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2022
It will be nice if seun start to verify accounts

3 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2022
Mchearan:

I'm not trying to point fingers. just trying to let you know the genesis of the problem. they are not the only Xiaomi users. they got banned frequently just because of using vulgar languages .. I've been a silent follower of phone session but i lost interest because it came to a point that i can't even read anything reasonable here again other than throwing tantrums, insults etc from these Xiaomi addicts. sometimes i asked myself is it not the same Xiaomi I'm using (attached below is the evidence) so that you won't have it in mind that I'm writing this to show hatred on Xiaomi. well kudos to someone like you that still put many articles up for educative and informative purposes. but those Loyalists you previously mentioned, did more damages to this phone session than good.

I get your point.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2022
Ernerstdavid55:
It will be nice if seun start to verify accounts

Solution number 1

1 Like

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by HONESTFACT101(m): 2:18pm On Jan 16, 2022
if by active you mean having to listen to the daily rants of xiaomi fans, who have there deluded believe that asides xiaomi you can't use any other phone, then I'm glad the phone section is dead.

And if you miss your friends so dearly advice them to behave so they'll serve a lesser ban cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by SomeNairalander: 2:28pm On Jan 16, 2022
I'm expecting ban after a mod or two reads this comment of mine, and I'm 70% positive they'll ban me
Yeah, the main problems are the mods, the bots that they leave to judge the members while the mods are busy elsewhere, My main Moniker of 2019 was banned till this month end just because i always posted ads about my business, at least verification should be held in place, they should check my profile, every mentions and stuffs to see if there's a negative report about my Sales then they can proceed to telling someone how to go about the posting and all, but instead, i guess thats how they've driven some other real and legit vendors away also, but there are lot of known scammers that their accounts are still active on the forum, without anything done to it.
We are a big family here and all this shouldn't be, maybe a real verification process should be held in place so that all vendors can be distinguished and separated, still waiting till month end yo be back on my account

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 2:32pm On Jan 16, 2022
SomeNairalander:
I'm expecting ban after a mod or two reads this comment of mine, and I'm 70% positive they'll ban me
Yeah, the main problems are the mods, the bots that they leave to judge the members while the mods are busy elsewhere, My main Moniker of 2019 was banned till this month end just because i always posted ads about my business, at least verification should be held in place, they should check my profile, every mentions and stuffs to see if there's a negative report about my Sales then they can proceed to telling someone how to go about the posting and all, but instead, i guess thats how they've driven some other real and legit vendors away also, but there are lot of known scammers that their accounts are still active on the forum, without anything done to it.
We are a big family here and all this shouldn't be, maybe a real verification process should be held in place so that all vendors can be distinguished and separated, still waiting till month end yo be back on my account

It's not just you. I got a one month ban for putting a YouTube link on one of the FP posts. People are still doing it till now and they haven't gotten any bans.

Legit hustlers are banned while those betting scam guys are spamming every post with no consequences. Sad really.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by HONESTFACT101(m): 2:50pm On Jan 16, 2022
atheistandproud:

It's not just you. I got a one month ban for putting a YouTube link on one of the FP posts. People are still doing it till now and they haven't gotten any bans.

Legit hustlers are banned while those betting scam guys are spamming every post with no consequences. Sad really.
. check rule 6 cheesy
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by thesolutions(m): 3:01pm On Jan 16, 2022
Those are not the reason. The reason is that people care less about brands and specs now.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 3:26pm On Jan 16, 2022
thesolutions:
Those are not the reason. The reason is that people care less about brands and specs now.

I may disagree with that sentiment boss. Check tech groups on FB or even GSMArena or Nanoreview comment section.

Yes, the average Nigerian is ignorant about specs and many frankly don't care. But... people are starting to wake up.

Many people want to start a conversation but they don't know how to go about or are afraid of being laughed at. So they wait for people who know more than they do to start the conversation.

These conversation starters have left Nairaland. They're on other platforms. So therefore people who want to learn specs have migrated to those platforms. Leaving the ignorant ones who do not care here. Like the troll that keeps mentioning me.

If you don't believe me, check the Xiaomi thread where there are very knowledgeable people and see the discussions that they have. You won't see it on any other thread currently.

The rest threads are people selling something or advertising something. How are you going to stimulate reasonable conversation from a sales thread?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by skywalker240(m): 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2022
smiley

Let me just leave that emoji there

Because if I list out what i have discovered about this section, am definitely going to another 6 months ban

For peace to reing, I don leave their phone section for them, jete jete, i don carry my bag go CarTalk

Nowadays i mostly do hit and run strike on those annoying Transsion Marketers

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Whois(m): 5:08pm On Jan 16, 2022
The section died a long time ago same with FBT. Those days of your freedom software, Zain MMS etc. Respect to dragnet, Honsule and others still here Sha
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by DONFRANSKID(m): 8:04pm On Jan 16, 2022
wє αll αrє tσ вє вlαmєd íncludíng mє
вut mσѕtlч trαnѕѕíσn fαnѕ whσ crєαtє multíplє thrєαd αвσut thє ѕαmє thíng juѕt tσ cαuѕє αrgumєntѕ

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by chariisGRACE(m): 8:37pm On Jan 16, 2022
HONESTFACT101:
if by active you mean having to listen to the daily rants of xiaomi fans, who have there deluded believe that asides xiaomi you can't use any other phone, then I'm glad the phone section is dead.

And if you miss your friends so dearly advice them to behave so they'll serve a lesser ban cheesy

You have been 'signing out' since last year.

wetin happen wey you never follow other people graduate?
grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by chariisGRACE(m): 8:41pm On Jan 16, 2022
Since I received a ban last month just for posting a photo on the gallery thread, I swear say nothing go make near this NL phone section again.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by atheistandproud(m): 9:02pm On Jan 16, 2022
chariisGRACE:
Since I received a ban last month just for posting a photo on the gallery thread, I swear say nothing go make near this NL phone section again.

That na spambot work.
Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Freelancerx: 9:05pm On Jan 16, 2022
It has become so toxic now

1 Like

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by Harrykn: 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2022
Phone section is death and sorry oh NAIRALAND MODS has Been dragging too much unnecessary news to FP. I no deserve ban abeg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of The Phone Section by MeshachMARTINS(m): 9:25pm On Jan 16, 2022
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Android Tab Unable To Make Call, Sim Toolkit.apk Missing / Which Of The Andriod Brand Do You Prefer? / Wow!! See How To See Who Viewed Your Facebook Profile The Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.