Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,577 members, 7,816,424 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. (872 Views)

Does Aging Scare You? / I Can't Stand My Wife's Unhygienic Habits. / I Married A Man But I Think I Might Be A Lesbian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by StealthGuy(m): 11:08pm On Jan 17, 2022
I'm an introvert, and sometimes I find it difficult to maintain social relationships for a long period because of how tasking they are, and the issues that can easily come off from them.

My background is one where I suffered bullying, at boarding school by seniors and at home from my brother (I've had to cut him off after his last provocations), and I've continually deflected all his flaccid attempts to reconciliation too because I'm still sore. Also, I had a long period of battle with depression and PTSDs as side effects, even I was on sleeping pills too but not for long.

I'm not the sort of guy that blame others for my problems, I was raised to be responsible for me but lately I've been trying to set my life back on course and be vulnerable towards people, and everything seem to not be working towards the direction I want, like they're all going south when I intend for a northward movement.

I'm finding myself reacting to issues with silence due to how draining taking them on could be, and I'm selective with my battles now because even if I win, I'd still lose more energy. Work has been my good forth but at home I hardly communicate effectively, I show flashes of anger (started after my fallout with my brother, although, only verbal). Again, I can easily depersonalise at work, I only use empathy but at home, I mix up the whole emotions thing.

It's really difficult right now as I stay alone, and I find myself needing some more physical presence of people around me.

Every time I get close to people, they all eventually leave because I'm not as easily stimulated towards them or I get over attached and then they get scared off.

My coping mechanisms are books which I drink up on, church, movies and talks with my friends.

My hustle has started kicking back in to above pre-covid era but I'm in a dire strait now here for my personal challenges.

Kindly advise please.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Mekenz(m): 11:41pm On Jan 17, 2022
StealthGuy:
I'm an introvert, and sometimes I find it difficult to maintain social relationships for a long period because of how tasking they are, and the issues that can easily come off from them.

My background is one where I suffered bullying, at boarding school by seniors and at home from my brother (I've had to cut him off after his last provocations), and I've continually deflected all his flaccid attempts to reconciliation too because I'm still sore. Also, I had a long period of battle with depression and PTSDs as side effects, even I was on sleeping pills too but not for long.

I'm not the sort of guy that blame others for my problems, I was raised to be responsible for me but lately I've been trying to set my life back on course and be vulnerable towards people, and everything seem to not be working towards the direction I want, like they're all going south when I intend for a northward movement.

I'm finding myself reacting to issues with silence due to how draining taking them on could be, and I'm selective with my battles now because even if I win, I'd still lose more energy. Work has been my good forth but at home I hardly communicate effectively, I show flashes of anger (started after my fallout with my brother, although, only verbal). Again, I can easily depersonalise at work, I only use empathy but at home, I mix up the whole emotions thing.

It's really difficult right now as I stay alone, and I find myself needing some more physical presence of people around me.

Every time I get close to people, they all eventually leave because I'm not as easily stimulated towards them or I get over attached and then they get scared off.

My coping mechanisms are books which I drink up on, church, movies and talks with my friends.

My hustle has started kicking back in to above pre-covid era but I'm in a dire strait now here for my personal challenges.

Kindly advise please.
your situation look exactly like mine, don't worry it's a phase, you will soon outgrown it.

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On Jan 17, 2022
StealthGuy:

Kindly advise please.
If you believe you need help, I suggest you seek the aid of a professional mental health therapist as soon as possible. This so you can unburden yourself and maybe get a chance to see your "habits" from a perspective that allows you understand how to tackle them. undecided

1 Like

Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by StealthGuy(m): 7:58pm On Jan 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
If you believe you need help, I suggest you seek the aid of a professional mental health therapist as soon as possible. This so you can unburden yourself and maybe get a chance to see your "habits" from a perspective that allows you understand how to tackle them. undecided
I'm kinda worried that those ones will only fill my head with what they want.
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2022
StealthGuy:
I'm kinda worried that those ones will only fill my head with what they want.
Like? undecided
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by StealthGuy(m): 8:04pm On Jan 19, 2022
Mekenz:
your situation look exactly like mine, don't worry it's a phase, you will soon outgrown it.
It's really hard but I'm going to keep working on everything.
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by StealthGuy(m): 10:21pm On Jan 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Like? undecided
Dunno but I just don't know if I can trust shrinks here in Nigeria
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by HRSweetness(f): 10:55pm On Jan 19, 2022
StealthGuy:

I kinda agree with you. The shrinks in Naija also need shrinks themselves lipsrsealed

Seriously though, never take your mental health for granted.

In the meantime, can you try joining groups in church and deliberately seek out social groups you can be part of.

You can also talk to me if you ever need to. That is if you don't mind doing it on here. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by HRSweetness(f): 10:56pm On Jan 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Like? undecided

Hello friend smiley
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Jan 19, 2022
StealthGuy:
I honestly don't know much about how if is done in Nigeria but in the absence of alternative help, I would recommend still that you try them out. This because mental illness isnt sometimes I will ask anyone to sit on. undecided
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Jan 19, 2022
HRSweetness:
Hello friend smiley
Hello there ! undecided
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by StealthGuy(m): 7:17am On Jan 20, 2022
HRSweetness:

I kinda agree with you. The shrinks in Naija also need shrinks themselves lipsrsealed

Seriously though, never take your mental health for granted.

In the meantime, can you try joining groups in church and deliberately seek out social groups you can be part of.

You can also talk to me if you ever need to. That is if you don't mind doing it on here. cheesy
As a practical person, I've tried joining up but many of these groups are made up of people who want to Cut, Copy and Paste what they think they know about the situation.

Very few people tried to understand the direction I come from and how to tackle the issues raised.

That's why I even brought it up here.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44, please come
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by mcdokwe(m): 9:31am On Jan 20, 2022
You have to use simple grammar first before I can help you
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by LordReed(m): 10:30am On Jan 20, 2022
StealthGuy:

Kindly advise please.

Your situation is expected for someone with your personality construct. Perhaps you could benefit from counselling. There are free online resources that offer counselling that you can take advantage of.
Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2022
StealthGuy:

Kindly advise please.

There's nothing peculiar with you. There are people with worst mental conditions and a nonexistent social circle. I think you have a lot of free time. Please get busy.

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Might Be Forming Bad Habits Which Scare Off People. by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Jan 20, 2022
StealthGuy:
As a practical person, I've tried joining up but many of these groups are made up of people who want to Cut, Copy and Paste what they think they know about the situation.

Very few people tried to understand the direction I come from and how to tackle the issues raised.

That's why I even brought it up here.
That, I can understand particular since we are talking after all of Nigeria, a land where the vast majority deny the existence of mental illness even when it is stirring them right in the face. undecided

I would say keep groups for after you get a handle on the issue. undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

82-year Old Woman Gives Birth After 57 Years Of Marriage (photos) / 1 / Why No Sex Education For Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.