Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News (20939 Views)

I Was Criticized During The Civil War But I Succeeded - Gowon Encourages Tinubu / Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful / REVEALED: How APC Succeeded In Islamising The South West - See The Gory Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by aspabay(m): 9:09am On Jan 18, 2022
Human rights groups say President Buhari's administration has a history of abusing the rule of law and freedom of speech, with a number of journalists and activists locked up for criticising the government.

Can anyone please name 5 journalists that have been locked up for criticizing the FG since 2019?

These lies against Buhari has to stop.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by BeardedmeatR(m): 10:31am On Jan 18, 2022
kingthreat:

I am no Buhari supporter, so if you think you wanted to get at me you wasted your MB.
Failure is an orphan!

We warned you guys from the sad west but you called us wailers.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by kingthreat(m): 10:50am On Jan 18, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
Failure is an orphan!

We warned you guys from the sad west but you called us wailers.

Cannibal Ipob spotted. grin
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Cognitivereason: 11:10am On Jan 18, 2022
Osiris12:
We’re surviving this buhari administration.one day at a time [b][/b]

Indomie oriental noodles is now 4500/carton

, ur daddy is seriously working grin grin grin
grin grin
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by BeardedmeatR(m): 11:42am On Jan 18, 2022
kingthreat:

Cannibal Ipob spotted. grin
Cannibal skuller spotted grin
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:46am On Jan 18, 2022
Empty and shoddy article from BBC.

They couldn't even articulate how twitter's wings were clipped
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Ovamboland(m): 11:48am On Jan 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Let's see how much would be paid by July 2023 !!!!

How would this databaseless FG, track income raised by Twitter?....?

So if it were to be your family business you'd be gleeful and elated about possible loopholes that will allow customers access your services without paying for it?
Citizens of far poorer African countries don't do this to their home country.

Seriously you need help
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:50am On Jan 18, 2022
aspabay:

Can anyone please name 5 journalists that have been locked up for criticizing the FG since 2019?

These lies against Buhari has to stop.

Abiri Jones
Luka Binniyat
Saint Onitsha
Omoyele Sowore
Ifeoluwa Adediran
Deji Adeyanju

Do you want more?
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Ovamboland(m): 11:53am On Jan 18, 2022
dogmart:

You mean a dogged dictator!
Keep decieving yourself.

Is he a dictator pushing hill will or a vegetable unaware of what is going on as your crew love to say?

You can't have it both ways, stay one place so as not to confuse thunder
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Lexusgs430: 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2022
Ovamboland:

So if it were to be your family business you'd be gleeful and elated about possible loopholes that will allow customers access your services without paying for it?
Citizens of far poorer African countries don't do this to their home country.

Seriously you need help

Nigeria is already a family business..... You're are not part of that family, that's why you are still poor .........
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by aspabay(m): 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Abiri Jones
Luka Binniyat
Saint Onitsha
Omoyele Sowore
Ifeoluwa Adediran
Deji Adeyanju

Do you want more?

Abiri Jones : Sponsoring militant activities
Luka Binniyat: False reportage of killings in Kaduna
Saint Onitsha: Arrested on orders of Kogi State Government over false publication

Omoyele Sowore: Sued for treason, he led an open rebellion against a sitting government. He openly called for 'revolution' and the removal of a democratically elected government. That is after he has lost in the Presidential election. Not arrested for criticizing any government.

Ifeoluwa Adediran: Who knows this local champion looking for popularity?

Deji Adeyanju: When did Deji become a journalist? Deji is a PDP jobber looking to preserve his assurance of stomach infrastructure. He makes carelesss and inflammatory statements, all so he could be arrested and earn himself the name "activist". Hungry emergency activists who just came to the limelight because his hero GEJ lost an election. Same thing with Remo Mockery.

Who else do you have, list them i am waiting
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Playermayweda(m): 1:39pm On Jan 18, 2022
post=109463610:

[/b]
In all of these Twitterbrouhaha, this is the part We love most.
Thumbs up Twitter!

Slow and steady we will get to the nation of our dreams.

[b]God bless Nigeria.

Twitter made a statement in which they said they don't know President Buhari and which country he runs.

When you're blinded by hate and self imposed narrow mindedness, you will applaud someone who is clearly insulting you.
Most Nigerians who are sympathetic with Twitter today don't know how much of an insult this comment is to even them.
They see Buhari as the target here but there are two elements in this insult.
Twitter says they don't know President Buhari.
But they didn't stop there.
They also added that they don't know the country he is leading. In other words they don't know Nigeria.

Twitter is brazenly saying they don't know Africas most populous nation and the country with the highest concentration of black people in the world. Twitter is brazenly saying they don't know a country where over 11 billion dollars of their revenue comes from with over 40 million subscribers.

Some years ago Pastor Chris Oyakhilome chose to use twitter to communicate some prayer information to Christ Embassy members worldwide.
Within few weeks Pastor Chris broke the records of having the most amount of followers within such a short period.

In their arrogance, Twitter called Pastor Chris' twitter account to question and described the followership as bogus.

Simply put, Twitter believed that nobody from a place like Nigeria had enough clout to garner such followership within such a short time - a feat that no Hollywood star was able to achieve -.

Pastor Chris wasn't prepared for their drama, he pulled out of twitter and challenged his church tech people to design a platform that the church can use. That's what gave birth to Yookos.

Today Yookos is a formidable competitor with Twitter so much so that ex President Barack Obama acknowledged the giant strides made by the platform within such a short time after it was launched.

Eventually twitter confirmed Pastor Chris' account and "apologized" but it was too late.
Pastor Chris had moved his huge followership into Yookos.

Several years later Twitter is saying that they don't know the country that the same Pastor Chris comes from.
That's arrogance taken too far.

Any Nigerian who tolerates this insult is just a self hating sychophant.

Someone says you and your country don't matter and you're jubilating.
Is that not a serious sickness?

On a lighter note,
*We heard someone telling his landlord that his rent money for the year is trapped in his Twitter account*

*The landlord too is now abusing Buhari grin cheesy wink grin cheesy wink

Dem [/b] : AKA [b]DA truth in da building!
tongue tongue tongue
Truth is not bitter, just that some people are bitter to the truth.

We Rise!

True that!
Nothing to be added.....obviously!

You can say that again sirs.
You are two of the wise and intelligent members we have on this forum.
It is always good and refreshing to see we still have reasonable and sensible members like you on this forum.
God bless you sirs

Shut the Bleep up angry angry
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by GetMeRight: 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
You Bmcs thought every other person is daft too.
Read the passage well and see that the post portrays an already failed government in the worst light.

Which post? The one above or another one, I couldn't even any real content in it. Just fabrication.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by GetMeRight: 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
You Bmcs thought every other person is daft too.
Read the passage well and see that the post portrays an already failed government in the worst light.

Which post? The one above or another one, I couldn't even any real content in it. Just fabrication.
BTW: don't be frustrated
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:09pm On Jan 18, 2022
aspabay:

Abiri Jones : Sponsoring militant activities
Luka Binniyat: False reportage of killings in Kaduna
Saint Onitsha: Arrested on orders of Kogi State Government over false publication

Omoyele Sowore: Sued for treason, he led an open rebellion against a sitting government. He openly called for 'revolution' and the removal of a democratically elected government. That is after he has lost in the Presidential election. Not arrested for criticizing any government.

Ifeoluwa Adediran: Who knows this local champion looking for popularity?

Deji Adeyanju: When did Deji become a journalist? Deji is a PDP jobber looking to preserve his assurance of stomach infrastructure. He makes carelesss and inflammatory statements, all so he could be arrested and earn himself the name "activist". Hungry emergency activists who just came to the limelight because his hero GEJ lost an election. Same thing with Remo Mockery.

Who else do you have, list them i am waiting

You can make excuses for the government. That one no concern me. The fact is I have answered your question fair and square.

I don't know when making "false publication" or being a "local champion" or a "PDP jobber" became crimes in our laws that warrant arrests.
If making false publication was an offence that warrants arrests, why have Lauretta Onochie and Bashir Ahmad not been arrested for making false publications as well?
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by aspabay(m): 3:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

You can make excuses for the government. That one no concern me. The fact is I have answered your question fair and square.

I don't know when making "false publication" or being a "local champion" or a "PDP jobber" became crimes in our laws that warrant arrests.
If making false publication was an offence that warrants arrests, why have Lauretta Onochie and Bashir Ahmad not been arrested for making false publications as well?

You can say all you can to suit your sentiments.

I am waiting for your list of journalists detained for criticising Buhari.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2022
aspabay:

You can say all you can to suit your sentiments.

I am waiting for your list of journalists detained for criticising Buhari.

I have given you the list. Only that you're too jaundiced to stomach it. You simply took over Lai Mohammed's job when confronted with the list.

I really don't know who you think you impress with your shenanigans.
Calling for a revolution is not a crime in our laws. And even if it is, it is the court that has the power to pronounce one guilty of such infractions not Buhari or his DSS. Sowore is one of the biggest critics of Buhari. That he lost an election is immaterial to that point
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by aspabay(m): 4:15pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

[s]I have given you the list. Only that you're too jaundiced to stomach it. You simply took over Lai Mohammed's job when confronted with the list.

I really don't know who you think you impress with your shenanigans.
Calling for a revolution is not a crime in our laws. And even if it is, it is the court that has the power to pronounce one guilty of such infractions not Buhari or his DSS. Sowore is one of the biggest critics of Buhari. That he lost an election is immaterial to that point[/s]

Even if it is a crime What are you saying dude?
it is the court that has the power to pronounce one guilty What is Buhari or DSS that pronounced him guilty? Is he not having his day in court?

You are just spewing trash.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:27pm On Jan 18, 2022
aspabay:

Even if it is a crime What are you saying dude?
it is the court that has the power to pronounce one guilty What is Buhari or DSS that pronounced him guilty? Is he not having his day in court?

You are just spewing trash.

He was detained for 45 days which is clearly against our laws which prescribe maximum of 48hrs detention without a valid court order. Same applies to Abiri Jones and Luka Binniyat. They are being detained on trumped up charges without a valid court order.

You're beginning to sound funny and irritated. Buhari and DSS have no right whatsoever to detain anyone beyond 48hrs. All these people are journalists who are being detained for doing their jobs. If you have a false publication, it is a matter of libel which is civil and not criminal and therefore has no grounds for detention at all, and at worst case, criminal defamation which is not possible for a govt to bring against an individual because defamation is brought under human rights and dignity laws and the govt is not human. You should know this if you know anything at all.

You're already doing a poor job of being a Lai Mohammed wannabe.

I suggest you kiss the truth and live with it. The list stands.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by aspabay(m): 4:30pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

[s]He was detained for 45 days which is clearly against our laws which prescribe maximum of 48hrs detention without a valid court order. Same applies to Abiri Jones and Luka Binniyat. They are being detained on trumped up charges without a valid court order.

You're beginning to sound funny and irritated. Buhari and DSS have no right whatsoever to detain anyone beyond 48hrs. All these people are journalists who are being detained for doing their jobs. If you have a false publication, it is a matter of libel which is civil and not criminal and therefore has no grounds for detention at all, and at worst case, criminal defamation which is not possible for a govt to bring against an individual because defamation is brought under human rights and dignity laws and the govt is not human. You should know this if you know anything at all.

You're already doing a poor job of being a Lai Mohammed wannabe.

I suggest you kiss the truth and live with it. The list stands[/s].

1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Emir01: 4:40pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Abiri Jones
Luka Binniyat
Saint Onitsha
Omoyele Sowore
Ifeoluwa Adediran
Deji Adeyanju

Do you want more?

Y do you guys always lie? Do you think lies committed through posting on social media is not a sin?
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:40pm On Jan 18, 2022
[quote author=aspabay post=109480670][/quote]

You have finally arrived at that point where you kiss the truth. Good for you
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:41pm On Jan 18, 2022
Emir01:

Y do you guys always lie? Do you think lies committed through posting on social media is not a sin?

Kindly point out the lie. Your senior made excuses for the detentions. You outright deny it.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Emir01: 4:45pm On Jan 18, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Kindly point out the lie. Your senior made excuses for the detentions. You outright deny it.

If you believe you're not lying. I leave you to your creator. One user replied u already.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by tempest01(m): 5:21pm On Jan 18, 2022
NGpatriot:

When Igbos sit in their village typing rubbish that they know nothing about all because you hate your own country.

Human right abuse is worse in Ghana than the rest of Africa gan sef..

Read again. Slowly.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:07pm On Jan 18, 2022
Emir01:

If you believe you're not lying. I leave you to your creator. One user replied u already.
Keep quiet. Zombie

The user never said I lied. He made excuses for the detentions and as you can see, I have cured him of his foolishness.

I suggest you receive an equal amount of sense as he has received!!
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by nextstep(m): 6:49pm On Jan 18, 2022
GetMeRight:
Destructions caused by the Endsars protesters which was supported and promoted by twitter actually made Nigeria weak

Nice one. So if people had used Whatsapp instead, or Facebook, or plain old websites, bulk text sms, posters, radio, or even word-of-mouth, you'd blame the tool for Nigeria's weaknesses? Not systemic corruption, severe underemployment (caused and made worse by our leaders), cruelty of soldiers, nor even the terrorism that is SARS?

It seems the message is being lost: In no way do I support senseless violence and destructions, but 2020 EndSARS was a dress rehearsal, where we saw youths eyes opening for the first time in this country. Police, Army, and many others were challenged and scared for the first time. The palace of the Oba got looted, and his staff of office seized by the people. Warehouses got ransacked. We've never seen that before.

Ironically this current crop of leaders seized power violently when they were in their 20's 30's.

A wise leadership would do well to heed the warnings, not blame the tools used to galvanize protest. The anger that sacked the Oba's palace might visit Aso Rock itself. Qaddafi was once invincible, silenced dissent, and his supporters would quash any voice of reason... till it became too late.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by litaninja(m): 8:40pm On Jan 18, 2022
LOL. The problem with propaganda like this is that it can't stand the test of time. The same deceit that got the country to this stage is what's still being peddled. Make una dey chop am dey go.
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by hmohammed(m): 11:14pm On Jan 18, 2022
seunfly:
It is the hypocrisy of the west and naivety of Nigerian youth that gives me concern, the west locked up somebody that uses social media to exposes human right abuses, promote destabilization of other countries through social media and then turn around to claim other countries should not have laws pertaining to social media.

Then the naive youth support the total destruction of the country by use of social media the promotes violence, hatred and division just because they don't like the government, they forgot that the government the like will also suffered thesame thing.

Out youth are brainless. Quite unfortunate
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by naptu2: 12:01am On Apr 29, 2022
Twitter Ban : Twitter Confirms It Has Registered In Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/7101690/twitter-ban-twitter-confirms-it
Re: How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News by tsdarkside(m): 1:14am On Apr 29, 2022
twitter,facebook and others are all rubbish....
i prefer nairaland....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shi’ite Sect Leader Not In Army’s Custody – Buratai / Boko Haram Abducts 15 Girls In Niger Republic / Threat To Shut Down Imo Before Okorocha’s Exit Thickens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.