Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? (25733 Views)

Important Land Documents And Titles You Should Know As A Real Estate Investor. / Different Types Of Land Documents / Understanding Land Documents And Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Frankcallys(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2022
Odewaleadesoye:
Hey guys!
It's throwback Thursday!
Do you know the names of these actors?
Please tell us.

Hank Anuku
Saint Obi
Emma Ehummadu
Jerry Amilo
And... Another guy �
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2022
Good Thread
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by lookingfly: 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2022
Odewaleadesoye:
Hey guys!
It's throwback Thursday!
Please tell us.

I saw Hanks and zuby in my last trip to asaba ooooo
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by lookingfly: 4:09pm On Jan 20, 2022
orikoku:
This is educative.
I only know of:
Receipts
Deed of agreement
Survey
Building plan and C of O

I don't know about the rest.
R of O?
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by CrownWale93(m): 4:42pm On Jan 20, 2022
I have a Full plot of Land available for sale in Magboro @ ranges of 4, 5m, 8m upward..
Also a fenced & gated, roofed uncompleted 2bedroom & a room self-contain erected on one side of the land is available for sale in Magboro.

Then Acres, plots of Land also available for sale in Ofada Ayetoro, Ayetoro after Redemption camp for affordable price as 800,000k, 1.5m, 2m

For enquires
Call & WhatsApp: +2348135102690
BecomeALandLord:
LAND DOCUMENTS AND LAND TITLES.

SURVEY.
This is a document that measure the boundary of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of the land.

EXCISION.
An excised land that has been released by the government to the indigens of the area who originally owned the land before the government acquired it.
This means that the land is no longer under government acquisition and processing the C of O is possible.

GAZETTE.
A gazette is an official record book, where all special government details, are spelt out, detailed and recorded.
A gazette will show the communities and villages that have been granted excision and the number of acres or hectares of land that the government has given to them.

CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY (C of O)
It's a land document issued by the state government to officially lease any land under the state to you (the applicant), for 99years.
As already indicated above, all lands belong to the government.
A C of O however is the officially recognized land document for demonstrating rights to a land.
A certificate of occupancy can ���� �������� ��� ������������� either be fore residential, commercial or agricultural purposes
It is usually granted for a fixed term of 99yrs and 25years for for agricultural lands.

What happens after 99years?
The response to this for now, remains that the buyer can renew the certificate of occupancy when it expires.

*Please note*: there are *kinds* of C of O, there is a *normal* C of O and there is *a Global* C of O and also we have types i.e. Residential, Industrial, Commercial, Agricultural C of O.

GOVERNOR'S CONSENT.
It's a land document that is obtained whenever you buy a land with C of O.
It's the land document that let's the Governor and the general public know that the
Land in question has changed hands.

DEED OF ASSIGNMENT.
It's actually a document that shows that you are now the new owner of the land.
It is an agreement between the seller of a land/property and the buyer, showing evidence that the seller has transferred all his rights, titles, interest and ownership of the land to the buyer.

RECEIPT
This land document is the least of all and it's just for the seller to acknowledge that he/she has received the due money he/she wants to sell the land.
As simple as this document may seem or appear like, it is still very important for future purposes.

CONTRACT OF SALE.
This is a contract between two or more parties in which the seller agrees to
sell and the buyer agrees to buy a real estate property.
The contract outlines the terms and conditions for the sale and purchase of the property.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Jokerman(m): 4:45pm On Jan 20, 2022
Wemabod title for those in Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja....without wemabod in Adeniyi Jones, even CofO can't save you...

Politicians though.... grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by NORSIYK(m): 4:55pm On Jan 20, 2022
Odewaleadesoye:
Hey guys!
It's throwback Thursday!
Please tell us.

Hanks Anuku, Emma Ehumadu, Saint Obi, Tuvi James and Jerry Amilo
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
Iseoluwani:

Honestly this are the kind of write up we want on fP not Tinubu and co

Op God bless you

Thank you and God bless you too

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
Thank you very much for this OP. So if I am buying a land or house in Abuja, what documents should I make sure I verify and are handed to me after the deal? And can I do a change of ownership on a C-of-O the same way we do on cars?

Note: I have not heard of any document called GOVERNOR'S CONSENT here in the North.

Are you buying the land/house from a real estate development company or from an individual?

You can process a governors consent with your deed of assignment, you can't change C of O.
It's only issued once.
It's not a document of ownership that you can change like we do on cars.

Don't forget to carry your lawyer along to help you with due digilience.
MODIFIED... I'm a Realtor and not a lawyer

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2022
orikoku:
This is educative.
I only know of:
Receipts
Deed of agreement
Survey
Building plan and C of O

I don't know about the rest.

Glad you found this useful.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Tickles001(m): 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Yes, you should be worried, someone might have processed the title on the land and you lose all rights to it.

I don't understand this. How?
I asked the surveyor and the lawyer involved. They both said the "deed of conveyance" is enough for that particular land that I bought.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:28pm On Jan 20, 2022
Oghene1st:
Hello O.P, you did well. However, Contract of Sale of Land is to acknowledge part payment of the total sum. Once the full payment has been made, a Deed of Assignment is hereby executed. Deed of Assignment is only executed when the total sum has been paid, and it is what is used to get the Consent of the Governor.

Thank you.
You are 100% correct.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Kmf0: 5:39pm On Jan 20, 2022
All in naija can be baseless sometimes
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Kingdemu: 5:46pm On Jan 20, 2022
BecomeALandLord:

Are you buying the land/house from a real estate development company or from an individual?

You can process a governors consent with your deed of assignment, you can't change C of O.
It's only issued once.
It's not a document of ownership that you can change like we do on cars.

Don't forget to carry your lawyer along to help you with due digilience.
MODIFIED... I'm a Realtor and not a lawyer

Cheers.
I'm buying from a well known reputable real estate development company here in Abuja and it is a semi-detached in an estate of several flats and apartments. What do I need to be sure are intact as per documents concerned? And must I necessarily still get a lawyer in this case? Thanks
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by HELLASJ(m): 5:47pm On Jan 20, 2022
So insightful!
Op what's the difference between R of O and C of O.

Thank you!
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Munzy14(m): 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2022
Odewaleadesoye:
Hey guys!
It's throwback Thursday!
Please tell us.

Smh....We have an interesting thread, and you choose to derail it abii lipsrsealed

Wetin concern land document lectures with saint Obi movie poster throw back.. undecided
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 6:08pm On Jan 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
I'm buying from a well known reputable real estate development company here in Abuja and it is a semi-detached in an estate of several flats and apartments. What do I need to be sure are intact as per documents concerned? And must I necessarily still get a lawyer in this case? Thanks

Great..!!
I'm glad people are buying from reputable real estate firms now.
It'll save you lots of headache.

YES, you still need to carry your lawyer along to check up the estate title documents or if you have time on your hands, you can actually verify this documents yourself to know if the property is under government acquisition or not.

Once it's a reputable real estate firm, chances are that they have already done their due digilience before they buy the land and start construction on it.

But you still have to do your own due digilience before parting with your money.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Brainardc(m): 6:12pm On Jan 20, 2022
Nice write up
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 6:17pm On Jan 20, 2022
HELLASJ:
So insightful!
Op what's the difference between R of O and C of O.

Thank you!

They are both good titles.

C of O: The C of O is a superior title and more secured. It is usually compensated for when revoked.

R of O: The R of O is a weaker title to land.
If it's revoked, most times government don't compensate the owner.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by credon: 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2022
BecomeALandLord:
LAND DOCUMENTS AND LAND TITLES.

SURVEY.
This is a document that measure the boundary of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of the land.

EXCISION.
An excised land that has been released by the government to the indigens of the area who originally owned the land before the government acquired it.
This means that the land is no longer under government acquisition and processing the C of O is possible.

GAZETTE.
A gazette is an official record book, where all special government details, are spelt out, detailed and recorded.
A gazette will show the communities and villages that have been granted excision and the number of acres or hectares of land that the government has given to them.

CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY (C of O)
It's a land document issued by the state government to officially lease any land under the state to you (the applicant), for 99years.
As already indicated above, all lands belong to the government.
A C of O however is the officially recognized land document for demonstrating rights to a land.
A certificate of occupancy can ���� �������� ��� ������������� either be fore residential, commercial or agricultural purposes
It is usually granted for a fixed term of 99yrs and 25years for for agricultural lands.

What happens after 99years?
The response to this for now, remains that the buyer can renew the certificate of occupancy when it expires.

*Please note*: there are *kinds* of C of O, there is a *normal* C of O and there is *a Global* C of O and also we have types i.e. Residential, Industrial, Commercial, Agricultural C of O.

GOVERNOR'S CONSENT.
It's a land document that is obtained whenever you buy a land with C of O.
It's the land document that let's the Governor and the general public know that the
Land in question has changed hands.

DEED OF ASSIGNMENT.
It's actually a document that shows that you are now the new owner of the land.
It is an agreement between the seller of a land/property and the buyer, showing evidence that the seller has transferred all his rights, titles, interest and ownership of the land to the buyer.

RECEIPT
This land document is the least of all and it's just for the seller to acknowledge that he/she has received the due money he/she wants to sell the land.
As simple as this document may seem or appear like, it is still very important for future purposes.

CONTRACT OF SALE.
This is a contract between two or more parties in which the seller agrees to
sell and the buyer agrees to buy a real estate property.
The contract outlines the terms and conditions for the sale and purchase of the property.
Right of O
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Necessity1: 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2022
If very informative. Thank you
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2022
Tickles001:

I don't understand this. How?
I asked the surveyor and the lawyer involved. They both said the "deed of conveyance" is enough for that particular land that I bought.
The utmost document on any land is CofO or Governor's consent, anything less is inferior to the 2, although it doesn't mean such document is invalid or not acceptable
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:19pm On Jan 20, 2022
Simpubozz:
This is very educative OP, thanks .
What of those who bought their lands from all these omo onile and the only thing they were issued is the receipt. How can someone initiate the deed of assignment? Can the deed of assignment really serve as evidence to win a dispute in future if any? With the deed of assignment at hand, is there need to approach the state government for governor’s consent?
I just want to understand the necessary documents to obtain if the land is bought from omo onile family

Just get a lawyer to help you prepare the Deed of Assignment, take it to the omonile, they will sign it for you (be prepared to cough some cash), but you need to get the relevant info on the land (chart) so as to use that to prepare the deed, but if the omonile are having educated people amongst them, they are the ones to prepare the document for you.
Also, you are likely to get 2receipts, check the receipt you have, is it indicating So So Family Receipt or just Land receipt, if it's not indicating family receipt duly signed by family head or his representative (for family head), you need to go back to the person that sold you the land that you need a family receipt.
Sometimes, the omonile that sold out a land is not entitled to such land, it might belongs to one of his siblings, so family receipt will help to avoid such wahala, and Lagos State now demands for it to process land title
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Simpubozz(m): 10:43pm On Jan 20, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Just get a lawyer to help you prepare the Deed of Assignment, take it to the omonile, they will sign it for you (be prepared to cough some cash), but you need to get the relevant info on the land (chart) so as to use that to prepare the deed, but if the omonile are having educated people amongst them, they are the ones to prepare the document for you.
Also, you are likely to get 2receipts, check the receipt you have, is it indicating So So Family Receipt or just Land receipt, if it's not indicating family receipt duly signed by family head or his representative (for family head), you need to go back to the person that sold you the land that you need a family receipt.
Sometimes, the omonile that sold out a land is not entitled to such land, it might belongs to one of his siblings, so family receipt will help to avoid such wahala, and Lagos State now demands for it to process land title
Wow thank you sir for this useful info. Appreciate
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by Soljaboi44(m): 4:37am On Jan 21, 2022
SAG 322 - Cadastral Surveying II
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by DozieSixtus: 8:41am On Jan 21, 2022
Nice write-up op.
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by professore(m): 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2022
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by professore(m): 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2022
Nice one
Re: How Well Do You Know Some Land Documents And Titles? by BecomeALandLord(m): 9:32am On Jan 27, 2022
Land no dey spoil.
Land no dey expire.
Land no dey decay.
Land no dey increase in size rather it appreciates in value.

Start your journey of being a landlord today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Story Of Woman Losing 5 Kids In A Collapsed Building Is False - AutoReportNG / Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned / Building Collapses In UNIZIK, Awka, Anambra State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.