Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. (12493 Views)

10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades / Testimonies Of Second-Class Lower Graduates Who Have Good Jobs / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2011
[left]This thread is to be an encouragement to people who graduated with not too good grades from the university in electrical engineering and perhaps any other discipline, be it – second class lower, third class, pass, but to mention a few. I would love those who have gone through this way to share some of their experiences with others and give some advice to others. Many are in that category and would love to hear from those who have passed through similar experience.
[/left]
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by igelomo(m): 2:21pm On Jun 21, 2011
good thread, lets wait to see what people have got.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2011
igelomo:

good thread, lets wait to see what people have got.

you are welcome igelomo. please feel free to share your own experience
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by okoomoge2(m): 11:57pm On Jun 21, 2011
The truth is some 2-2 graduate are actually first class material but graduated with 2-2 due to distraction,juvenile deliquences and age.
I graduated with 2-2(3.47) so painful that I cried because I was sure of making a 2-1. The disappointment of not making 2-1 made me feel challenged.
I worked with the likes of Exxonmobil,shell,Acergy and Saipem before God took me abroad as an expatriate.
I give glory to God for his mercies.
All I need to say be prepared,so when opportunity drops by unexpectedly you grab with both hands.

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by igelomo(m): 9:46am On Jun 22, 2011
oko-omoge:

The truth is some 2-2 graduate are actually first class material but graduated with 2-2 due to distraction,juvenile deliquences and age.
I graduated with 2-2(3.47) so painful that I cried because I was sure of making a 2-1. The disappointment of not making 2-1 made me feel challenged.
I worked with the likes of Exxonmobil,shell,Acergy and Saipem before God took me abroad as an expatriate.
All I need to say be prepared,so when opportunity drops by unexpectedly you grab with both hands.

I thank God for you oko omoge, i also graduated with a 2.2 but i just finished service and also searching for a job seriously, i hope i will learn some few stuffs from you guys.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Chizua(m): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2011
Graduating with 2-2 is not the end of life, though is not the best thing that can happen to the life of any young man. I graduated with 2-2 10 yrs ago as a result of some financial setback. University system not encouraging, tests scores are eroded and I have to repeat some of the courses naturally I would have made 'A's and 'B's as a result of not buying lecturers textbook which have grave consequence of no result.
The difficulty in 2-2 is that you will be denied of high profile opportunities. You will be ask not to apply, only 2-1 need to apply, thus will be denied of level playing ground.

Just be cheerful all hope is not lost. Start from somewhere, I mean anywhere that is in line with your carrier objective couple with hard working and working extra-extra miles; surely you will get to your destination.

Today, am a Manager with one of the best paid Federal parastatals on merit. I started by taking a contract job in a bank which reduce my human dignity to nothing; but I have to persevere with continued capacity building, running various programs simultaneously, (MBA, ICAN, ORACLE, etc) It only took me 5 yrs to arrive. Today I can boast as one of best known modern Accountant. Thanks be to God.

Cheers, wake up, and weep not.

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by samgab: 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2011
I believe that coming out of school with 2-2 is not a limiting factor. Like many comments above, many are as a result of one thing or the other, but that does not stop the you in you that make you what you are to function nor does it make u unproductive. What is most important is for one to believe in him/herself. Make commitment with God and he will direct your path. It worked for me and it will surely work for you if u believe. But please know that God will not fail you, so don't fail him.

Many that made 2-1 or the likes may not have merited it.

Your best is yet to be seen.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2011
oko-omoge:

@ Oko-moge, how did you manage to work in these high profile companies, most of us would be inspired by your stories. please just give us some little details for encouragement. For those who have similar stories please spare no details, it helps.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by ENZOSCIFO1: 5:16am On Jun 23, 2011
Well for me whilst I agree that a graduating student can achieve better than a 2-2 I have never considered it a bad result.
Graduated with a 2-2 some twelve years an ever since it has been up and up. Got my first job as a corper in a Nigerian bank and stayed in the industy for another 5 years (changed bank though) did a masters abroad ( was only bettered by a chinese genius in my masters class) an had a brief stinct with consulting abroad . Returned home 4 years back and got a managerial role in one of our major mobile telco, left about a year ago to start an investment/corporate finance boutique on the island and also an oil marketing firm and just last month commisioned our first fuel station.

Again I must mention that yeah I had a 2-2 ( cos I was the party an clubbing type back in school) but believe me I am far more gifted than the average 2-2 infact if I don't tell you after working with me over time you will suspect I must have graduated a 4pointer or top of my class as a matter of fact there are still some of my mates back then in school who felt am just a waste of natural gift.

So 2-2 on paper but more of 2-1 in terms of knowledge and quality. No regrets! Point is you can still acquire knowledge informally that makes you standout as a 2-2

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by igelomo(m): 8:51am On Jun 23, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

Well for me whilst I agree that a graduating student can achieve better than a 2-2 I have never considered it a bad result.
Graduated with a 2-2 some twelve years an ever since it has been up and up. Got my first job as a corper in a Nigerian bank and stayed in the industy for another 5 years (changed bank though) did a masters abroad ( was only bettered by a chinese genius in my masters class) an had a brief stinct with consulting abroad . Returned home 4 years back and got a managerial role in one of our major mobile telco, left about a year ago to start an investment/corporate finance boutique on the island and also an oil marketing firm and just last month commisioned our first fuel station.

Again I must mention that yeah I had a 2-2 ( cos I was the party an clubbing type back in school) but believe me I am far more gifted than the average 2-2 infact if I don't tell you after working with me over time you will suspect I must have graduated a 4pointer or top of my class as a matter of fact there are still some of my mates back then in school who felt am just a waste of natural gift.

So 2-2 on paper but more of 2-1 in terms of knowledge and quality. No regrets! Point is you can still acquire knowledge informally that makes you standout as a 2-2

Helo @ENZO, i didn't graduate with a good grade too but i can confidently say that am a very smart young man and i would appreciate any help for a job. If there is anything i know about myself, then its my ability to buy people to my side.

I would like to express my interest to work with as a Marketing Executive. I felt that my qualifications will meet your requirement and my zeal, ability to learn and enthusiasm should also be a compliment.

I have completed my graduation from one of the renowned colleges quite recently and am very much willing to make the best use of the skills developed during my college days.

I think I have got the following strengths which can be of real use to your organization –

1) Disciplined
2) A self-starter.
3) An excellent conversationalist.
4) Fast adaptability.
5) Brilliant in customer service.

I believe that you will definitely find me to be very friendly and accessible. My skills in dealing with people from all walks of life should bring a wealth of assistance to your firm.

In addition, I have Customer Service (General Skills), Dealing with Others, Flexibility, Oral & Written communication.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you to arrange an interview.

08053343203, askolutayo@gmail.com
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Fidelo726: 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2011
igelomo:

Helo @ENZO, i didn't graduate with a good grade too but i can confidently say that am a very smart young man and i would appreciate any help for a job. If there is anything i know about myself, then its my ability to buy people to my side.

I would like to express my interest to work with as a Marketing Executive. I felt that my qualifications will meet your requirement and my zeal, ability to learn and enthusiasm should also be a compliment.

I have completed my graduation from one of the renowned colleges quite recently and am very much willing to make the best use of the skills developed during my college days.

I think I have got the following strengths which can be of real use to your organization –

1) Disciplined
2) A self-starter.
3) An excellent conversationalist.
4) Fast adaptability.
5) Brilliant in customer service.

I believe that you will definitely find me to be very friendly and accessible. My skills in dealing with people from all walks of life should bring a wealth of assistance to your firm.

In addition, I have Customer Service (General Skills), Dealing with Others, Flexibility, Oral & Written communication.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you to arrange an interview.

08053343203, askolutayo@gmail.com

good trial.
all the best.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Syenite(m): 8:06pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ poster, you are a fresh Electrical/Electronics graduate that just finished with a 2:2 abi? Not to worry, the did is done already.

I didn't graduate with a 2:2. All the same, I have some ex-class mates that graduated with 2:2 that are highly placed today.
The truth is If you make a 2:1 and above you stand a better chance of picking up a high profile job, infact it has solved your Job search problem by more than half. Take for instance in my graduating class of 8yrs ago 7 of us(out of about 80) made 2:1, and today 5 out of the 7 are in major Oil companies both here and abroad and 2 are in Banks.
There are also a couple of my ex-class mates that made 2:2 that are in Oil companies, Banks and Telecom but it took them a longer time various means to get there and there are still some that are still jobless to date!

What I am pointing out is if you make 2:1 and above you stand a better chance however if you make a 2:2 that is not the end of the road.You just need to work extra harder,.And hey! with God all things are possible, you can graduate with a 2:2 today and get a job before some1 that made a 1:1. wink

But if you graduated with a third class or pass? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

And for those of you that are still in School work hard and get a very good grade.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by placebo(f): 5:04am On Jun 24, 2011
well i had a very bad experience in school (missing scripts and all), so bad that i hate to talk about my school days. Anyways, I graduated with a 2-2 and yeah. Its the worst thing that has happened to me. I say this because i am actually very smart and shouldn't have such grades but it happened and here i am.

The question is what did i do. I put it in the past and forged forward. I challenged myself and i always looked to God and believed in myself. I graduated in 2006 but i can tell you that i have experience in telecomms, did banking for 2 years and i am now in a multinational oil servicing company(No. 1oil servicing company. Go figure) and i am still forging ahead till i conquer my heart desires with the help of God Almighty.

Are you in school? PLEASE try your best to come out with a 2-1.

Are you out of school?
it is not the end of the world.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by tenhap(m): 8:30am On Jun 24, 2011
Hi All! Yeah a lot of peops realize it when it looks kind of 'late' but then, 2.2 is not a death sentence. I graduated with a 2.2 myself (about 13yrs ago) and no doubt i had the potential to make an easy 2.1 but must have been limited by grooving, flexing et al (no regrets though cause i had the best of time then).
Yes, the trend these days is most 'big' firms make it harder for 2.2 grads courtesy of the 'minimum qualification of 2.1' in job adverts. Nonetheless, with hardwork, dedication and prayers you will get there. I can't emphasise this any more, start with something that comes your way and build on it. It gets to a point where what really counts is your expertise/experience. Challenge yourself and gather as much knowledge/experience as you can lay your hands on.
I have found out that your first job as a 2.2 grad may not be one with enviable pay but it really does not matter. I spent the first 5 years of my work years gathering experience on my own and studying hard to hit off a few certifications. I had a job in a Federal establishment and i spent every day wanting out. I moved on to another job after 5 years and my first salary was x5 of the last one! I did not stop there but moved on to another job after two years and have been happy as i move up the ladder of life. I have it on good account that I am doing better that a lot of my colleagues that i know had 2.1 (though this is not to say the grade had anything to do with it). In summary, today there are now some things i consider very basic eg. going on vacation every year, having funds for long term projects, having a blast when i deem it necessary, etc.
Just keep your hopes alive!
-
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by igelomo(m): 8:53am On Jun 24, 2011
tenhap:

Hi All! Yeah a lot of peops realize it when it looks kind of 'late' but then, 2.2 is not a death sentence. I graduated with a 2.2 myself (about 13yrs ago) and no doubt i had the potential to make an easy 2.1 but must have been limited by grooving, flexing et al (no regrets though cause i had the best of time then).
Yes, the trend these days is most 'big' firms make it harder for 2.2 grads courtesy of the 'minimum qualification of 2.1' in job adverts. Nonetheless, with hardwork, dedication and prayers you will get there. I can't emphasise this any more, start with something that comes your way and build on it. It gets to a point where what really counts is your expertise/experience. Challenge yourself and gather as much knowledge/experience as you can lay your hands on.
I have found out that your first job as a 2.2 grad may not be one with enviable pay but it really does not matter. I spent the first 5 years of my work years gathering experience on my own and studying hard to hit off a few certifications. I had a job in a Federal establishment and i spent every day wanting out. I moved on to another job after 5 years and my first salary was x5 of the last one! I did not stop there but moved on to another job after two years and have been happy as i move up the ladder of life. I have it on good account that I am doing better that a lot of my colleagues that i know had 2.1 (though this is not to say the grade had anything to do with it). In summary, today there are now some things i consider very basic eg. going on vacation every year, having funds for long term projects, having a blast when i deem it necessary, etc.
Just keep your hopes alive!
-

Am happy for you man and am hoping to follow suit, as soon as i get a job in well structured company even though the pay may not be right, i will jump at it because i know its not the end but a means to one.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2011
has anyone applied for a high profile job with a 2.2 even though the job required a 2.1 and above and got the job in the end.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by okoomoge2(m): 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2011
I did had terrible experiences at first, I remembered sitting for an aptitude test and came third overall but got the shock of my life during second stage of interview.
Someone among the interview panel said I did I manage to get to this level, they had an argument someone mentioned to him this guy was invited because he scored so high in the aptitude test, age wise he is still young just 21yrs old then though he graduated with 2-2.
To cut the story the interview stopped midway because on dude insisted that they were to employ people with at least 2-1.
I cried and felt bad.
I got my first job out of sheer luck and God.
It was not easy, you can still get invited for Shell-SITP test even with 2-2
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
oko-omoge:

I did had terrible experiences at first, I remembered sitting for an aptitude test and came third overall but got the shock of my life during second stage of interview.
Someone among the interview panel said I did I manage to get to this level, they had an argument someone mentioned to him this guy was invited because he scored so high in the aptitude test, age wise he is still young just 21yrs old then though he graduated with 2-2.
To cut the story the interview stopped midway because on dude insisted that they were to employ people with at least 2-1.
I cried and felt bad.
I got my first job out of sheer luck and God.
It was not easy, you can still get invited for Shell-SITP test even with 2-2

what can i say, thank God for you. Did you study engineering?
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by okoomoge2(m): 1:22pm On Jun 24, 2011
I studied Engineering
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 5:19pm On Jun 25, 2011
where is everyone, i know there are people with testimonies, we are waiting for your own version.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 8:47am On Jun 27, 2011
moderator please do not take this post out of the first page.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2011
wow i think i ve been extremely motivated. My case seems a little lower, finished my national diploma in 2005 studied electical engineering, the pathetic situation of our economy and discrimination of the polytechnic system made me pursue getting admission into the university. For 4years i tried with no avail even though i graduated with upper credit, wrote jamb always had above 230. Went back for my hnd last year and i wld be graduating in 2 months time i ve been writing good upper crredit and no i wld be graduating with at least an uppercredit. If those who ve university degrees still face this kind of challenge then how do i stand. Am a hard fighter i plan on getting lots of certifications during service year to boost my cv am majoring in electronics telecoms engineering. Thanks for ur posts i ve been truely motivated.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 12:28am On Aug 30, 2011
wow, lets keep this thread alive. Is there anyone dat has concluded his/her service, and facing the similar challenges.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Cory(f): 11:34am On Aug 30, 2011
Mehhhn!!!!!!!! I just finished service and wasnt retained in my company due to some political bruhaha sha,while all the other corps members were.
Me sef finish with 2.2, depression was trying to take the better part of my soul. All employers are looking for 2.1 and loads of experience, Im only 23 , a Computer Science graduate.
This is 4 months of me sitting at home, well i have decided to encourage myself and start doing Microsoft Exams and reading on my own.
This thread has lightened my heart and im so encouraged, i thoughtthis 2.2 was the end of the road.
You guys have really encouraged me, im smart though and i know it. Was so demoralised , no job, no money per se, still depend on my family for everything,the supposed love of my heart sef wasnt making matters easier. Thank you all for these words, i really appreciate too and will work even harder.
Much love ,guys.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Joey82(m): 11:57am On Aug 30, 2011
@op

Graduating with a 2-2 is not the end of the world, I graduated with a 2-2 also, worst of it from a state university, u know sometimes the discrimination is not only abt the certificate, it even goes down to the school u attended, God help you i its not a federal uni. The basic thing is to keep your head up and walk tall, dont despise little beginnings, somewhere along the line, its xperience that counts. The one important thing is you have to hit the labour market at what i call the 'trainee age', that is not more than 27.

The long and short is today, i work at a multinational and still looking on. Put ur trust in God, work hard and believe in urself.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by netotse(m): 12:51pm On Aug 30, 2011
I also finished with a 2.2(I'm an electrical engineer as well). I'm a bit ladback(read lazy grin) and I cant cram, I'd rather express stuff in my own words, so I sorta switched off after my 2nd year in school. Coupled with the fact that it's all paper engineering we do in schools.

Ultimately, employers are more interested in what you can do for them, never forget that, your class of degree is just one of many factors they try to use to guage/filter applicants.

make sure you know your stuff, practically too, put it the hours, burn the candle at all the ends burnable and above all, strategize. A major problem with us nigerians is grin we aren't strategic in our thinking.

Identify the field you want to work in and start developing contacts in that area, most nigerians are helpful people (as long as you're not asking them for anything other than information. . .at first grin tongue). Get to know some people in the field you want to work, call them from time to time, ask for advice, validate their knowledge(you know how we engineers like to explain stuff to people, makes us feel important. . . cheesy grin).

lastly, make sure you do extremely well in any of the job tests you do, and work on your interview skills, so that even if it's a 2.1 and they call you by mistake. . .you get my drift?

I finished not too long ago (not up to 5 years ago) so I'm not as old as some of the people on this thread, I also work in a multinational

if you're still in school, u can like to start strategizing o, my I.T. and NYSC were in the field of engineering I identified as the one I want to work in so I have a head start when it comes to working experience in my field.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by bayol2001: 1:04pm On Aug 30, 2011
forget 2-1 and 2-2, nija is connection, u will see 3rd class entering oil firm,

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Jburg: 4:41am On Sep 01, 2011
My own case was terrible back then which made me feel as if I have lost everything, I graduated with 2:2 five 5yrs back in Petroleum Engineering.
I searched for job for good five years both in Lagos and Niger-Delta, nothing came up I was busy been rejected just because I didnt have any connection while some guys I use to help academically got jobs with chevron,shell, etc with the same 2:2.

I immediately stop searching for Job and registered an oil company with my name and start brooking oil deals, brothers, I made what i wouldn't have made with oil giant in years just for few months and was turn into a big boy drastically, now I fly all over the world where there's good oil deal.

Just be focused, you must surely get there!!!
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by yeye4live(m): 8:32am On Sep 01, 2011
@poster,u ve to tell me if 2.2 s nt a gud grade again
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by Cory(f): 9:41am On Sep 01, 2011
@JBURG, Are u for real, ? Like after the whole 5 years, u r now on top.
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2011
bayol2001:

forget 2-1 and 2-2, nija is connection, u will see 3rd class entering oil firm,

please does anyone have stories about a 2.2 or 3rd class entering an oil firm? No multinational oil firm can employ below 2.1. Or can someone debunk this claim
Re: Testimonies Of Graduates With 2.2 And Below And How They Made It. by iyaski: 1:49pm On Sep 01, 2011
yeye4live:

@poster,u ve to tell me if 2.2 s nt a gud grade again

It is not what your paper certificate says but the quality of your wits. However, when other countries are celebrating discoveries in our country we celebrate certificates. this is why it seems that 2.2 is not a good grade anymore

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways Job Seekers Outsmart Employers / Urgent Teaching Vacancy 4 Abuja Residents / Police Recruitment: Candidates To Undergo Mental, HIV, Pregnancy Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.