Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. (10168 Views)

The Salary Of An Average Nigerian Soldier Will Shock You / FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria / What Is The Highest Monthly Salary Of Someone You Know In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by DJMJ(m): 1:27pm On Jan 27, 2022
O boy, 22 years now and counting, except oil company, the best you can get is 50k entry level.
10 years experience don't get beyond 250-350k in very good company, otherwise 150 best.
Good luck.
Nothing like 700k o

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Bignuell(m): 1:41pm On Jan 27, 2022
WIZGUY69:
Depends on the company.
An entry level salary starts from 700k
for naija here??
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by nabeelbabs: 1:42pm On Jan 27, 2022
absool:
I have been pondering, what is the intro salary of a civil/ structural engineer in an average comoany?

Okay listen brother, i am a civil engineer too, did my studies at china, came back work with a few construction companies.

All i can say is in our line of work, it doesn't have an "average" salary. It varies from companies to companies.

The first company i worked for has three (3) grades of salary structure

1: allowance (15k)
2: salary (70k)
3: percentage (3 to 4)

At first, for the first few months, they pay you only allowances (to observe you and train you If you have no experience, but if you do they shift you to salary structure immediately after employing you)

After that, you are shifted to the salary structure which Is basically 70k

After months and years (a year or 2) if you acquired the skills and knowledge and very good enough, they shift you to percentage grade (3 to 4%) so to say, you won't be paid salary no more. They only pay you after you completed a project.

For example, you were given a project by the company and you supervised, handled and finish the project, and lets say after the project is completed or sold, theres a gain of 10mil, they will give you that 3 or 4 percent of that 10mil as your pay, that's 400k...

HOWEVER, this does not apply for all companies, it varies across different companies in nigeria.

Some construction companies or real estates companies only pays in salary grade (thats about 70k to 200k)

I came to realize civil engineering is a field of patience and hardwork, no doubt you will sweat, dirty yourself, and stress.
But the MOST important thing is GET THE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE.

If you can be patient enough to get the skills you can even be getting side projects from clients, you'll make hell lot of cash.

I know an engineer who studied in the UK, did his masters there and came back, now, he is lucky enough to be getting projects from federal government (NITDA) to build ICT centers and offices around states.

Like i said, get the knowledge, experience and HAVE PATIENCE..

Last 2 years i was collecting 15k as allowance for good 3 months grin grin before i got shifted to salary grade.

Just be patient enough to get the skills and experience , you will be shocked on how much you will be making in side hustles and side projects alone.

11 Likes

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by pr9511487: 1:44pm On Jan 27, 2022
see below

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by microscope1(m): 1:55pm On Jan 27, 2022
namqul655:
Nice concept. The site really makes sense. They have more features than Nairaland
Abeg, relax... U go open blog put Ghana for the name, wey u know say beefing dey ground currently. Wait till when Shatta apologies
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by treatise: 1:56pm On Jan 27, 2022
absool:
I have been pondering, what is the intro salary of a civil/ structural engineer in an average comoany?

Check your school academic programmes or ask the VC Academics if salaries are tied to the course studied or organization where you render your services.
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by ElValiente(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2022
They pay is in Euros my company is owned by Germans. Run by fourth generation. My first salary was 2300 euros in 2015. I left them last few years 2019 to join my former boss in Equatorial Guinea.
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by kayusely70(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2022
[quote author=osuofia2 post=109732929][/quote]Must be a mistake or typo error
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Goldentulip2: 2:28pm On Jan 27, 2022
wunmi590:

Those people are earning big, and majority of them don't even touch their salary....

Majority of my friend in that category are really big boys...

Just pray to God to open doors for you, you will never know suffer ness again

Answer question and you are talking about something else hmmm
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by alphaNomega: 2:28pm On Jan 27, 2022
qloreal:
1 bitcoin
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by kohen: 2:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
There are a lot of variables that make up the final salary of a civil/structural engineer, but first things first:
You are actually only really a structural engineer when you major in Structures, mostly at the MSc stage of study, otherwise you are simply a civil engineer on graduation, i.e Bsc stage. If you are taken as a structural engineer at this stage (1-3 years) your salary will range from 60k-150k, also depending on what you can deliver as regards the actual work.
However, if you do not do an MSc, you can gather experience over the years in the structural department and be titled such only after 'mostly' 5 years or more, yet again, depending on your capacity.

The other factors that may influence your salary are the organization you work for, the size, the number of projects they have, etc.
Larger, established specialized organizations tend to pay more. Those that function in the oil and gas sector also have a better salary structure for beginners compared to more localized ones and government organizations.

In summary, structural engineering, just like other types of engineering gets better for the individual who makes concerted personal effort to improve on his/her skills. Growth is a process.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by kohen: 2:34pm On Jan 27, 2022
true talk....
DJMJ:
O boy, 22 years now and counting, except oil company, the best you can get is 50k entry level.
10 years experience don't get beyond 250-350k in very good company, otherwise 150 best.
Good luck.
Nothing like 700k o

1 Like

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Thanos5555: 2:39pm On Jan 27, 2022
am a Culvert and Bridge Engineer on the Kaduna-kano railway construction, i must tell you the truth is that civil Engineers are really paid little, like they are being cheated due to negotiation ability, even you behave like mumu, you will get paid #50k to #60k, but if you proof stubborn on negotiation, you could earn as high as 200 to 350k, but note you that you cant behave stubborn except you already have a job thats feeding you then thats when you will use them to catch cruise and behave as if you are not interested in the job, but truth be told civil engineering is not a field to work under somebody so i will blatantly tell you to forget about the money if you have a uncle or friend that is into reall time construction, just attach yourself to him/her for 2 to 3 years, if they give you little allowances be grateful, after that you can be able to apply for jobs as a senior Engineer, and earn 200 to 350k,

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by olaridwan(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
45k. . Lol... Go learn work
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by hakeem4(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
absool:

it depends on the firm you are working with. if you work for a small firm you earn about 75k monthly.

if you work for a mid size firm, you earn 100-120k
while multinationals pays very well.

starting with government would put you on level 9
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by wunmi590(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
Goldentulip2:

Answer question and you are talking about something else hmmm

tongue

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by AmazingELixir: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2022
WIZGUY69:
Depends on the company.
An entry level salary starts from 700k

Youngman are you living in the moon...to even get anything close to that you have to be very experienced and working in an IOC.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Speedy001(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2022
wunmi590:

Those people are earning big, and majority of them don't even touch their salary....

Majority of my friend in that category are really big boys...

Just pray to God to open doors for you, you will never know suffer ness again

Can you connect me with your friends please, I'm a civil engineering serving Corps member
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by TABATA(m): 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2022
Call me for great opportunity
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by vickydevoka(m): 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2022
gistray:
I did salt and water engineering as an Agric engineer.

My startup pay was very high.

About N35,000 as at then.

If you're lucky you may get about N40,000 - N45k

All the best bro.

The Proffesion is lucrative
Salt and water. Or soil and water
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Johnmee4u(m): 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2022
Depends on if u're registered or not.....but no structural engineer with seal can earn less than 300k per month
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Hiq0: 6:33pm On Jan 27, 2022
Idk
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by Foscons(m): 12:20am On Jan 28, 2022
Focus on learning first as an entry level. Don't consider salary. Look for a place that would give you all the opportunity to learn and be grounded in Construction/ Structural. Made same mistake after graduation, was after money which I got but not too grounded. My friends where suffering in structural firm paying them peanut but today they own their firms and construction company with staff strength of 20 minimum. Not doing too bad myself.

You should be looking for a place to learn if ur in entry level [/quote]
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by absool(m): 2:38pm On Jan 28, 2022
hakeem4:
it depends on the firm you are working with. if you work for a small firm you earn about 75k monthly.

if you work for a mid size firm, you earn 100-120k
while multinationals pays very well.

starting with government would put you on level 9

How much do level 9 earn?
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by absool(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2022
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by absool(m): 5:38pm On Oct 12, 2022
gistray:
I did salt and water engineering as an Agric engineer.

My startup pay was very high.

About N35,000 as at then.

If you're lucky you may get about N40,000 - N45k

All the best bro.

The Proffesion is lucrative
What about now sir?
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by CivilEngineer90: 12:01pm On Oct 13, 2022
Foscons:
Focus on learning first as an entry level. Don't consider salary. Look for a place that would give you all the opportunity to learn and be grounded in Construction/ Structural. Made same mistake after graduation, was after money which I got but not too grounded. My friends where suffering in structural firm paying them peanut but today they own their firms and construction company with staff strength of 20 minimum. Not doing too bad myself.

You should be looking for a place to learn if ur in entry level
and what do you need to learn if I may ask, what's so hard in construction? Foundation? Or finishes or knowing the right materials to use at any stage or determining construction methods or jobs quality control, or project management. Isn't that what we were all thought in school. My Friend go for the money and if they offer less then become self employed. It may take a while, few missteps but once you get your craft right the sky is your starting point.

Civil Engineering pay is inconsiderately low infact I was watching a YouTube video where alot of Engineers regretted their career path. Our negotiation skill is very weak and everyone is just keeping above water. I won't have any of my kid study Engineering rather I will go for Architecture. To make it in the field too many sacrifices required.
Re: What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. by daviddext: 6:20pm On Feb 06, 2023
quickly:

You should be looking for a place to learn if ur in entry level

Learning doesn't mean he will not be paid. People learn on the job and get paid for the job they do.

Edit: Entry level ranges from N70k - N180 depending on company status, probation period, amount of work, risk in job, and the graduate program. Aim to start small and grow in experience.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Staying on my job or Further Training? / Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! / Army Council Approves The Promotion Of Senior Army Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.