Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,476 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. (3998 Views)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
I am a petroleum engineering student. I have great passion for programming. In fact, i do PHP, Python and Java. I am considering changing my study field to Electrical/Electronic Engineering where i can develop my skills in programming. I intend to make something good of programming, let's say, embedded systems, etc. ( I am a 100level student.). What is your take in this? Or can I make much impart in my current course of study?
Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by candylips(m): 10:02am On Jun 22, 2011
follow your passion. change to elect if u can
Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by samm(m): 3:46pm On Jun 22, 2011
Unfortunately, changing your major might not help much in improving your skills in programming depending on the university you are currently enrolled in. Also, think about the application of programming rather than just learning to program.  I would suggest if possible, that you minor in programming and major in Petroleum Engineering. 

You should also continue to hone your skills in programming by developing solutions applicable to the petroleum engineering field.

Those who have subject matter expertise in which to apply their programming or systems development skills to are always better off.  The world of IT is now tightly intertwined with every facet of business in every industry.

1 Like

Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
Ok. I have actually thought of that. But since I am a neophyte in the field of petroleum engineering, I am still at loss as to where programming is applied.
samm:

Unfortunately, changing your major might not help much in improving your skills in programming depending on the university you are currently enrolled in. Also, think about the application of programming rather than just learning to program.  I would suggest if possible, that you minor in programming and major in Petroleum Engineering. 

You should also continue to hone your skills in programming by developing solutions applicable to the petroleum engineering field.

Those who have subject matter expertise in which to apply their programming or systems development skills to are always better off.  The world of IT is now tightly intertwined with every facet of business in every industry. 
Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by samm(m): 9:11pm On Jun 22, 2011
agi-tuedor:

Ok. I have actually thought of that. But since I am a neophyte in the field of petroleum engineering, I am still at loss as to where programming is applied.

Well, I'd say that since you've already gotten yourself up and running with Programming, you should stick with petroleum engineering.  As you learn more about the field, you can always check to see where you can apply your knowledge of programming. And trust me there will be plenty of them.

It only means, you'd spend a lot of effort keeping up to speed with both but it will pay off well for you in the long run.
Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
Thanks a lot for your response.
Re: Relevance Of Programming Skills To Petroleum And Chemical Engineering. by nkechinyere: 12:50pm On Jun 23, 2011
if p engineering u want to study den b tru wit first,after which u can den further by learning program because computer course is too verse dat u can never b satify no matta d courses u ve as a skill

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? / Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django / Programming Languages Inventors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.