Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? (15069 Views)

Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry / Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? / Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by SUV(f): 4:04pm On Jun 22, 2011
I come from Awka in Anambra state:

Requirements:

for the Kindred (Men)

1. I BIG castrated He-goat
2. 4 crates of Star (beer)
3. 2 gallons of Palm wine (Nkwu ocha)
4. 2 Gallons of sweet palm wine (Ngwo)
5. 2 crates of small stout
6. I small stout bottle filled with Snuff
7. 4 packets of Cigarrete
8. N1,000
9. 2 crates of mineral
10. 30 big tubers of Yam
11. 24 pieces of Big Colanuts

for the Women:
1. 2 Crates of Malta Guinness
2. 2 crates of mineral
3. 12 Bar soaps (Truck)
4. 6 cartons of Cabin Biscuit
5. 1 Sweet scented Powder

for the young unmarried ladies/girls:
1. 2 crates of mineral
2. 6 Bar soaps (Truck)
3. 6 cartons of Cabin Biscuit
4. 2 rolls of Lux toilet soap
5. 1 bundle of chewing stick

for the bride's parents (father)

2. 2 crates of Star (beer)
5. 1 crates of small stout
6. 6 big tubers of yam

Bride Prize: N100 only. (But you can put in more if you wish.

Then the would be husband will take care of all the food & drinks on the trad day.

All these were on the list my father gave to my husband on the day of introduction. but we has a bergain and my dad waived his own items.

The amount you will spend depends on where u are buying the items from and the season of the year especially for Yam.

altogether we spent N167K (for everything & for the ceremony) excluding my dad's requirements.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 22, 2011
feelamong:

The dowry you pay for an hausa woman is not that much but then b4 they allow u marry their dauther you must be a muslim and if you not a muslim you must convert to islam.I like Hausa girls for one thing that they are not as materialistic as many nigerian girls in the south.

WHAT ABT THE KOBOKO THAT THEY WOULD FLOG YOU? ABI DAT ONE NO FOLLOW?
Its the fulanis who use koboko and besides its not that popular using koboko nowardays cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
SUV:

Requirements:

for the Kindred (Men)

2. 4 crates of Star (beer)
5. 2 crates of small stout
7. 4 packets of Cigarrete
8. N1,000
9. 2 crates of mineral
10. 30 big tubers of Yam

for the Women:
2. 2 crates of mineral
3. 12 Bar soaps (Truck)
4. 6 cartons of Cabin Biscuit

1. 2 crates of mineral
2. 6 Bar soaps (Truck)
5. 1 bundle of chewing stick

6. 6 big tubers of yam

Then the would be husband will take care of all the food & drinks on the trad day.

All these were on the list my father gave to my husband on the day of introduction. but we has a bergain and my dad waived his own items.

The amount you will spend depends on where u are buying the items from and the season of the year especially for Yam.

altogether we spent N167K excluding my dad's requirements.
Na waoh! cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Geomel: 4:10pm On Jun 22, 2011
Money or property brought a woman to her husband at marriage.
Also money paid or gift given to women during Marriage processing.
www.geomeconsult..com
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 4:11pm On Jun 22, 2011
Ibime:

£6000 is not an easy sum to part with regardless of how much you earn. With wedding costs ranging at circa £10k + £6k dowry fee, a man would have to put down £16k just to marry a woman.

[s]So the girls set the dowry price in Gambia?[/s] If my wife tries to charge me dowry herself, I would force her to survive on cabin biscuit for the rest of the marriage.
Stop being stingy. .  They don't set it but are pretty much interested in it.
If you are earning about £30k(as nurse) per annum and you plan to marry if you save up you can afford it(This is just for a man earning normal income) but imagine if the man is born into a rich family-to depart with £16,000 is nothing.
I hope my own wedding sef surpass that amount.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by hassymo5(m): 4:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
Xtfield:

My first daughter is getting married next month. I was already dreaming of a bride price of about N3.5m because I have all receipts for her education plus professional examinations and got an accountant to work out the interest (she is actually an accountant herself). But the young man was lucky because when I went to my Dad in the village to ask what the family takes he gave me a list and behold I saw Bride price is fixed at N35000. So I guess I will have to grudgingly allow these lucky guy to pay just N35000. Or do you think I should appeal against these 'outdated list'? After all what can I buy wit 35k? And I was thinking of changing my car!!! grin grin grin grin grin

OBOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Chei!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by dayokanu(m): 4:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
SUV:

Requirements:

for the Kindred (Men)

2. 4 crates of Star (beer) (Can the accept TROPHY 33 or Noble)
5. 2 crates of small stout (Why not Paraga)
7. 4 packets of Cigarrete (Which brand? Erinmore, White London or Benson)
8. N1,000
9. 2 crates of mineral
10. 30 big tubers of Yam

for the Women:
2. 2 crates of mineral
3. 12 Bar soaps (TURA)
4. 6 cartons of Cabin Biscuit ( Not Popcorn)

1. 2 crates of mineral
2. 6 Bar soaps (Truck)
5. 1 bundle of chewing stick (Chewing stick?

6. 6 big tubers of yam

Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 4:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
kandiikane:

Stop being stingy. .  They don't set it but are pretty much interested in it.
If you are earning about £30k(as nurse) per annum and you plan to marry if you save up you can afford it(This is just for a man earning normal income) but imagine if the man is born into a rich family-to depart with £16,000 is nothing.
I hope my own wedding sef surpass that amount.

I hope you would be coming into marriage with some inheritance not just your bare palms then. If your family can sequestre me a property in Brufut, I wouldnt mind paying £30k for you sef! cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by tampa1871: 4:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
One's life sweetheart is priceless.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by darknouiui: 4:26pm On Jun 22, 2011
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 4:32pm On Jun 22, 2011
Ibime:

I hope you would be coming into marriage with some inheritance not just your bare palms then. If your family can sequestre me a property in Brufut, I wouldnt mind paying £30k for you sef! cheesy
Ofcourse, I won't be coming into a marriage with bare palms but I don't expect to pay for anything to do with my wedding. Do you live in the Gambia?
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 4:52pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^ Am familiar enough with the country, trekked all around from Tanje to Ghana Town, Brufut, Barra, Cannifin, Serrekunda et al
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 5:09pm On Jun 22, 2011
Tanji, Kanifing* smiley

Oh, cool.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by mkpologwu(m): 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2011
Una no talk since na. My girlfriend costs fortune!
Every month is 50k before her mother allows her to visit me at weekends.
I mean 50k for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday cos she must return to mother 1st thing Monday morning!
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by dayokanu(m): 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2011
Ibime:

^^^ Am familiar enough with the country, trekked all around from Tanje to Ghana Town, Brufut, Barra, Cannifin, Serrekunda et al

Na all these places you don find Ashewo reach?
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^We don't have ashawos where im from. We are too classy for that lipsrsealed smiley
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by sasimalia(f): 5:18pm On Jun 22, 2011
Where I am from it could be anywhere from $500 to $5000. There specific items that are always required and then some cash.
My cousin brideprice 4 years ago was $1,500 including $750 in cash and items worth $750.
The items usually are the results of 2 lists combined. The first list is the one established the girl's paternal family called the "father's list" and the other one from the girl's maternal family (the girls uncles on her mom sides establish that list, its called the "uncle's list)
Basically it includes items to dress completely the father, the mother and the uncle (scarf, wrapper or lace, shoes, purse, jewelry for the mother; suit with belt, socks, hat, for the father and the uncle;  a lepard cover, rice, oil, a lamp, kola nuts (depending on the culture), cases of beer/liquor and palm wine.
My other cousin just did her traditional wedding this past weekend and they asked 3,000 euros total. Actually they asked more than that, but in my culture you are allowed to bargain to a certain extent, citing the qualities of the future husband, and the father of husband (who is a Frenchman and would not let my people abuse him in the name of tradition  grin) practiced exactly that, and they agreed on 3000 euros.

PS: my cousins are both in their mid twenties, pretty, and educated  grin grin grin

Oh and I forgot, $50-$150 when the guy introduces himself to the girl's family (through a letter always first, then in person), and then another $100-$200 and a case of beer/half-dozen of bottles of wine at the time of the formal introduction (during which the guy's family come to get the "list" that has been prepare and the guy brings the engagement ring - thats the official engagement.

($60 came with the letter my bf addressed to my father) - will see the other amounts. But I have warned them severely not to even try to make money off of me. My bf is a good man who has helped me alot so they should not even try.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by vladimiros: 5:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
ths thread as inspire me to have daughters

correct ones,

daughters are investments,

LOL grin
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by mukina2: 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
kandiikane:

Rich parents-
250k in Dalasi(for parents)
Kola nuts
A house
Two cows
Earning a good income
Huge trunks of clothes for the bride
Lace for the bride mother
And this small wrapper call "baycho"(thats for the husband own eyes) wink  and "bin-bin"( the beads most African women would wear on their waist but with elastic instead.

Poor parents:
Ask respectfully and bring Kola nuts
hmmm would you please tell me what tribe(s) do this smiley
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by bashr4: 5:26pm On Jun 22, 2011
whether igbo girls bride price is high or not you don't see we igbo men complaining cause we know igbo women are the best treasure anyman can have  , its only broke ass people from other regions complain , if you cant afford to marry an igbo/efik/ibibio girl why not just stick to your ugly women wherever it is you come from. broke ass dudes, your fellow men  dey buy car for their girlfriend or even common fone of 50,000 naira for a girl they don't even know and your here crying over bride price of 20,000 for a woman you will spend the rest of you life with and you claim you love. i wonder if you will use your prick to take care of her and the children. eeediots if you cant afford any amount demanded by her elders to you then you cant afford to take of her either.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by MrCork17: 5:27pm On Jun 22, 2011
2 goat & 1 umbrella angry
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by henryhemon(m): 5:32pm On Jun 22, 2011
Akwa ibom gals are pretty expensive now,nothing less than a million n above,now this is no joke.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 5:37pm On Jun 22, 2011
mukina2:

hmmm would you please tell me what tribe(s) do this  smiley

Don't worry its neither the Temne, Mende nor Limbas etc

Between the wollof, Mandinka, Jola, Serer, tukulors etc
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 22, 2011
My wedding is coming up next month and despite the fact that my fancee and I are from the same village in cross river state I was slammed with a bride price of 300k. Some things on the list just made be laugh hard. I saw firewood-50k and I just imagined the quantity of firewood 50k will buy.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ovwigho1(m): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2011
In Urhobo land, dowry is N120 to N150 and some oda items lyk salt for the women etc. Bt remember that u must double anything given to you by the brides perents oh.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
kandiikane:

^^We don't have ashawos where im from. We are too classy for that lipsrsealed smiley

Ibime goes for sex tourism in gambia every 3 months and he knows
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 5:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
He might be getting it off from the Nigerians living there. . .

There are loads of them there so I am not surprised. smiley
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by armyofone(m): 5:49pm On Jun 22, 2011
Any amt my parents request for is fair. a good man who can bring home the bacon shouldn't complain.
but in a perfect world, i'd like to have a say in how much is being paid on my head.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by dayokanu(m): 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2011
armyofone:

Any amt my parents request for is fair. a good man who can bring home the bacon shouldn't complain.
but in a perfect world, i'd like to have a say in how much is being paid on my head.

The sausage in between my legs should be enough for you.

Can we get Wells fargo to finance your dowry and you would co-sign the loan
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2011
armyofone:

Really? These things amaze me a lot. Anyway no be by force, let us wait for Isaiah 4 to set in well.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by mukina2: 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2011
kandiikane:

Don't worry its neither the Temne, Mende nor Limbas etc

Between the wollof, Mandinka, Jola, Serer, tukulors etc
this is not true . .

the standard dowry in the Gambia is 4 dalasis 25 bututs for ALL tribes excluding the fullahs ( i dunno about them but its defly not 250k)

You can add anything ontop if you want to but the standard amount is 4 dalasis 25 bubts, then kola nuts.

I dunno who gave you that story about dowry being different for rich and poor people.

you hear people will say nenet ak transu meaning 425 bututs wink
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by dayokanu(m): 5:57pm On Jun 22, 2011
Dont tell me that my babe kandikane has been taking us for a ride when i have started planning on how to get my daughters Gambian citizenship

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Marital Rape: Indian Court Rules Against Wife Who Sued Husband For Forced Sex / Need Help With CLOMID Please. / Christmas Recharge Card Give Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.