Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,731 members, 7,959,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:12 PM

Can My Sugar Intake And Diet Affect Arthritis? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can My Sugar Intake And Diet Affect Arthritis? (412 Views)

My Pescatarian Lifestyle And Diet During Xmas / Are You Worried About Your Carbohydrate Intake? Then, This Is For You. / Coca-cola Advises Nigerians To Consume More Fruits, Reduce Sugar Intake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can My Sugar Intake And Diet Affect Arthritis? by StJosephsPhysio: 8:07am On Jan 29, 2022
Many of us (unavoidably) took a break from our regular routines this past holiday season, to celebrate the holidays by having good meals with family and friends. This indulgence may have included all things sweet and savoury… Would you like to know how sugar, and your diet affects living with Arthritis?

Arthritis is a degenerative disease that affects the bones and joints, causing pain and inflammation in these joints.
Arthritis is common in ageing adults, however, it can occur in people of any age and includes children. This chronic condition is primarily managed conservatively by Physiotherapists like us at St Joseph’s Physiotherapy Clinic

How does my diet affect my arthritis?

You are what you eat literally, as a patient suffering from arthritis, consuming everything and anything will increase inflammation. Once you have been diagnosed with arthritis, or are at an age that puts you at risk of arthritis, it is essential to control your diet. Many foods and beverages have processed sugar in them. It is important to review boxes, cans, and labels before consuming any items. This can reduce the risk, and the negative effects arthritis has on your health.

Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune and inflammatory disease that impacts the hands, wrist, and knees. It also affects the lungs, hearts, and eyes and, in this capacity, affects the whole body.
Studies show that certain patients who eat foods such as blueberries, spinach, desserts, and sweetened soda can increase the inflammation of arthritis, especially in women.

Osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis is the most commonly occurring form of arthritis. It occurs when tissues within the joints break down. It affects the knee, hips, and spine and can cause severe pain.
People with osteoarthritis must refrain from consuming sugary foods. Diets with sugar cause obesity and increase inflammation.
Consumption of oxidant-rich foods, vegetables, vitamins A, E, and C, whole grains, can help control arthritis.

Gout

Gout is a type of inflammatory arthritis that occurs when there are higher levels of uric acid in the bloodstream than normal. Gout affects one joint at a time.
Consuming foods containing sugar and fructose, such as soda and orange juice contributes to an increase in uric acid levels in the body.

Why should I avoid certain foods if I have an arthritis condition?

What you ingest can aggravate the inflammation. Certain foods are best avoided or if you must have them, they must be a minimum quantity.

Studies have shown that some individuals suffering from arthritis react to certain foods.
Some foods that should be avoided/ minimized are:

Alcohol and soda
Beverages or foods with added Sugar
Trans fat
Omega-6
Saturated fat
Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
Refined carbohydrates

Healthy Dietary Alternatives for People with Arthritis

There are healthy alternatives you can use as a replacement for sugar, cooking oil, and other foods. If you must add a sweetener to your tea, raw honey is a suitable alternative. Replace desserts with fruits like watermelon, pawpaw, etc. Use oils such as corn and sunflower oil, canola oil, olive oil, and coconut oil for cooking. Eat lots and lots of vegetables and minimize alcohol intake.
Before you change your diet, speak with your health care provider to discuss the options.

Always bear in mind that the key to a good diet and healthy living is moderation. Minimizing what you consume can drastically alleviate inflammation.
If you already have a diagnosis, and would want to reduce your pain, increase your range of motion, and strengthen your joints, then stop by at 21B Christ Avenue off Admiralty Road lekki to see a licensed physiotherapist.

(1) (Reply)

Award-winning Food Photographer Singapore | One Food Story / Avocado Seed Tea For Diabetes / How To Prepare A Delicious Chicken Curry Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.