Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,452 members, 7,812,383 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo (38181 Views)

How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by chrisdolly(m): 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
Racoon:
Guess this was the era wherein genuine pan-nationalism, professionalism and merit was what counts under the pre-independence colonial Nigeria.
You are wrong sir, those are the days when tribalism and sectionalism started among our military men. It was what led to incessant military take over of government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Elidrisy20: 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
Where Buhari for the picture?
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by cosmos1440: 5:55pm On Jan 30, 2022
I knew from the very beginning that this our Biafra or Nothing people who also want to produce the next president for a country they hate so much, will turn this interesting article to another ethnic war.
Terrible ndiala and OSU people. Products of baby factory and mkpuru-nmiri guzzlers.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by NoBones: 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:
Thanks... Now I got to see a picture of how Arthur unaegbe looked like.. I took an interest in him after reading Gen. Madiebos Revolution and Civil war accounts over 2 decades ago..

This is a senior Igbo officer killed for vehemently opposing a coup by officers drawn from all the regions of the county... For those who have been brainwashed to keep parroting that it was an Igbo coup..
Must you bring your propaganda here IPOD, Unaegbu was killed because he refused to give them keys to the armoury.
You lazy IPOD brainwashed man, list the other officers drawn from other regions who took part in the coup or shut up
That's what you were told by your gullible IPOD leadership who are too I'll trained to remember History.
Go and apologize to the gambaris for killing their leaders

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by joefelin2345: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
DonTattaglia:

Am from a minority tribe in Benue state, but truth be told, d useless tribe called Yoloba are backstabbers. After my bitter experience in my university days in d South West, I swore I will NEVER NEVER do anything with them when it comes to accomplishing a task as a group. That coup had Banjo & very few Yoloba army officers involved. Anybody claiming otherwise is distorting history & will receive the wrath of spreading false information on such sensitive. Awolowo was d supposed beneficiary of that coup if it had succeeded, but unfortunately it didnt succeed as planned. Ironsi who now took over power didnt help matters, instead of court marshalling & executing d coup plotters, he chose to just leave them in detention. Hausas perceived it as an igbo coup becos most of the casualities were northern elites, few Yoloba politicians like Akintola etc, & just only 1 Igbo officer. But it is grossly misquoted to be an igbo coup. No thanks to Ironsi who further garnished that belief..
Thank you very much for labelling Yoruba ( which you corrupted as Yoloba) as back stabbers based on your so called experience in one of the Universities in the SW. But could you pls be honest as to what you did & why such experience happened to you? For your information, it us morally wrong for you to castigate a whole race of people bc of the action or inaction of a few if indeed you experienced any ugly incidents from the Institution which you could not even mentioned I guess for the fear of being exposed. For your info, many tribes cannot tolerate 1/10 of what your perceived enemy (Yoruba) tolerate from you people even in their own land. Any way that is y we are asking for Referendum to enable us decide our continuous stay in Nigeria. I leave you with smile.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by octaflav: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
Can you please provide the source of this your info?

ViperAda:

It was an ibo coup and your lies would not change the facts. Lt. col. Arthur Unegbe was shot by Anuforo because he was known to be close to brig. Maimalari and had to be silenced. He was not killed for opposing the coup but for his closeness to Maimalari who was eventually killed by Ifeajuna.

-Viper
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Arabaincubus: 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2022
When they were kotma. Trousers were a luxury then.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Zealll: 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:
Arthur Unaegbe was a full colonel.. which was top notch then. Remember we had just one major general and one or two brigadiers.. so colonel wasn't so junior a rank in the officer corps then..

Most casualties of that coup were stumbling blocks to the coup.. and the executors were from all regions of then..viz.. the east,the west,Midwest and north. Couldn't have been an Igbo coup.

Remember ojukwu and ironsi quelled the same coup
It is call an Igbo coup because they fail to kill their own political leaders like zik, and opara in the east instead they leak the infor to them and allow them escape, they plan it together, but they kill other political leaders like festus okiegbo from south south, kill south west and kill north political leaders, they deceive there co plotter of the coup from other region, went ahead to take the leadership, ironsi as head of state and they pay for what they do, their actions with the lost of 3 million Igbo, the population lost was up to like 6 country population in African as at then, 3 million Igbo dead as a result of greediness and selfishness with over ambition

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by RussellRutherfo: 6:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
KillJoy62:
The 3 officers that would change Nigeria forever are all number 7 on the 3 rows. Ironsi, Ojukwu and Gowon.

Hmm!
For you to notice.
Are we sure we are not all playing a script on Earth just like Actors do with their different roles?
Mystery.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by frog12: 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2022
another one: all officers in the counter-coup became presidents: gowon, murtala, buhari, babangida, abacha

RussellRutherfo:

Hmm!
For you to notice.
Are we sure we are not all playing a script on Earth just like Actors do with their different roles?
Mystery.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Sunsets: 6:35pm On Jan 30, 2022
You sound intelligent but with such a primitive conjecture as being peddled by your likes, uncivilised mindset. How can coup be an Igbo coup. Igbos did a town hall meeting across Nigeria and decided to stage a coup. This sort of backwardness in reasoning is the bane of Nigeria's develoomeent.
ViperAda:

It was an ibo coup and your lies would not change the facts. Lt. col. Arthur Unegbe was shot by Anuforo because he was known to be close to brig. Maimalari and had to be silenced. He was not killed for opposing the coup but for his closeness to Maimalari who was eventually killed by Ifeajuna.

-Viper

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by 9gerian: 7:08pm On Jan 30, 2022
Recounted accounts suggest that the coup wasn’t labeled an Igbo coup initially, as Nigerians all over the country were said to have welcomed the coup. That was until the dust began to settle and more facts revealed that no Igbo leader was killed even as other sides took stock of their losses. For even the Bendelites (Niger-Delta) lost Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh to the coup.

Also, Nnamdi Azikiwe’s absence and somewhat deliberate stay-put in the UK raised suspicion that he was probably aware of an orchestrated coup against other tribe leaders. Major Ifeajuna (the coup mastermind) was said to be related to Azikiwe.

As they say, the rest is history…

headSmasher:
We know you people always trying to change the narrative, what was the guy's post that got him killed, he is wasn't a top ranking officer that needed to die, he was just part of the casualties and stubbing blocks on the part of the senseless myopic unreasonable callous irresponsible Igbo officers that made him a Scape goat in the Igbo coup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by CoolAmbience(m): 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

Civilization got to my region so early.. I would rather use a mirror to count my teeth.

Reason why we are Sophisticated West

How dem dey take tongue take count teeth sef?

My people and yeye adages....
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Pidginboss: 7:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
Poiu11:
that is not london. that is nigeria. the queen visited nigeria... ademulegun is not in the picture... this is how ademulegun looks like. the picture are officer in eastern nigeria. the person in picture looks like obasanjo...

Oga, Obasanjo no fit dey here e never join the force finish when them take this picture.
Another thing be say na by other of seniority them take sit and stand.
The name wey dey Miss for that place na ogundipe

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by asanausana91: 7:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
Mrquote:

Ask yourself why they refuse to teach history in school
nobody stop history, it was obasanjo with the support from a senate president who is an Igbo man.
Presently history is thought even in the primary schools. I will like you to go to any government school,you will testify what I just said.

7 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Pidginboss: 7:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
Poiu11:
that is not london. that is nigeria. the queen visited nigeria... ademulegun is not in the picture... this is how ademulegun looks like. the picture are officer in eastern nigeria. the person in picture looks like obasanjo...

Oga, Obasanjo no fit dey here e never join the force finish when them take this picture.
Another thing be say na by other of seniority them take sit and stand.
The name wey dey Miss for that place na Ogundipe
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Bounceboune7: 7:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

So those who are currently having the position do not merit it right?

The word merit/deserved can only be used when it's Igbo bah?
igbos only use d word merit when they are dominating others but it's quota system when others dominate

Look at d super eagles team,they dominate n call it merit despite their abysmal failure but they still find it ok,let it b another tribe then all hell will b lose

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Navalsadiq(m): 7:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
Oga it was an Igbo coup because most of the officers killed were top military officers from the north.

The picture doesn't change anything.if an only if MAI malari believed he was standing in the midst of traitors he would have watched his step and probably still be alive till today

Ifejuana killed Mai malari and Kaduna nzogu killed sar dauna of sokoto

Becareful when dealing with an Igbo man betrayal is a cause that flows in their blood stream.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by YellowMayor(m): 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2022
gidgiddy:

Its not like Nigeria is working anyway so why wouldn't anyone want to secede from failure?

Though I don't share the same beliefs with you on many things, but to be honest, @ the bolded rings a bell.

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by MoIbrahim: 7:55pm On Jan 30, 2022
See this one grin

mightyhaze:
Thanks... Now I got to see a picture of how Arthur unaegbe looked like.. I took an interest in him after reading Gen. Madiebos Revolution and Civil war accounts over 2 decades ago..

This is a senior Igbo officer killed for vehemently opposing a coup by officers drawn from all the regions of the county... For those who have been brainwashed to keep parroting that it was an Igbo coup..
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Ishilove: 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
Racoon:

First Generation of Nigerian Army officers - June 1959.
Some of Nigeria's finest
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by christistruth01: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2022
grin
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by sulaak(m): 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2022
amuwo1980:
Not less than 40% of them were igbos , when things were done on merit, you got to admit it Nigeria fared better under the colonial rule than under these jihadist belly crawling vermins

Most of those officers benefitted from early missionary education.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Gireiboy(m): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2022
eduj:

And after the counter coup in which many Igbo officers where wiped out , why kill over 30,000 Igbo civilians in the north ?

That was what caused the war -killing igbo civilians in there thousands-a genocide.

Please try justifying that ?
It's a price they pay for mocking northerners about the death of Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Mrquote: 8:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
cosmos1440:

For your information, history was never removed from the secondary school syllabus in Nigeria. But most schools prefer making government a compulsory subject for Art students. Also, about 20% of the topics in government are contemporary history
Really do you have history in your SSCE result?
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Mrquote: 8:18pm On Jan 30, 2022
asanausana91:
nobody stop history, it was obasanjo with the support from a senate president who is an Igbo man.
Presently history is thought even in the primary schools. I will like you to go to any government school,you will testify what I just said.
Where is the prof of what you just said?
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
Gireiboy:

It's a price they pay for mocking northerners about the death of Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa.

is that your justification ? no problem then.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by abdulkayus(m): 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
Mrquote:

You know why haven't they allowed what happened in the past to thought in secondary school your know so mush is a hear say no prof to back it. Let them bring back history to secondary school so people we know what happened in the past so they won't make the same mistakes in the future you people were so much in divide and rule that we forgot our history. Let's the history be thought in school ao young people we know

History is still being taught, who told they removed it? Till date, history is being written in waec, NECO and jamb
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Gireiboy(m): 8:39pm On Jan 30, 2022
eduj:

is that your justification ? no problem then.
Yes! absolutely.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by emapeteum(m): 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
It is observed from the list that Calabar had a significant representative of the early crop of officers of all minorities in Nigeria.where is that spirit of greatness today among my people?Where were the ijaws who are fond of claiming to be more prominent than other minorities in Nigeria?
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Christistruth00: 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by asanausana91: 9:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
Mrquote:

Where is the prof of what you just said?
OK where are you right now? So that I can direct you to where you will get your answers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination / Omoyele Sowore Leads #ResumeOrResign Protest In New York (Photos) / Governor AbdulRazaq AbdulRaman Holds Rally For Tinubu In Kwara (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.