Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,496 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo (38187 Views)

How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by olas24u(f): 4:43pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:
Thanks... Now I got to see a picture of how Arthur unaegbe looked like.. I took an interest in him after reading Gen. Madiebos Revolution and Civil war accounts over 2 decades ago..

This is a senior Igbo officer killed for vehemently opposing a coup by officers drawn from all the regions of the county... For those who have been brainwashed to keep parroting that it was an Igbo coup..
How many came from different parts of the country.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by olas24u(f): 4:46pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:
1 Yoruba major you say? Well even if it were half yorobà major ,it was a Yoruba human after all.. but I'm sure names like wale demoyega,col banjo, lt olofimihan,captain fola oyewole and numerous Yoruba NCOs are not from nnewi.

That coup had officers and men from the east,the west,the Midwest and the north..which region had the most participant is irrelevant. U can't compare that with the purely northern preceding coup of July that had 100 percent northern officers and infantry.. with zero casualties from the north..

I'm coming with some proofs to back up all these facts shortly..I'm a bit indisposed now
Its a lie ,they were not aware of the coup and were not told the plans.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by olas24u(f): 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
Investigative:

So Igbo now answer Yoruba names
List of coup plotters
Maj. Kaduna Nzeogwu (Igbo)
Maj. Adewale Ademoyega (Yoruba), author of "Why we struck"
Maj. Emmanuel Ifeajuna (Igbo)
Maj. Timothy Onwuatuegwu (Igbo)
Maj. Chris Anuforo (Igbo)
Maj. Humphrey Chukwuka (Igbo)
Maj. Don Okafor (Igbo)
Capt. Ogbo Oji (Igbo)

Participants

Capt. Emmanuel Nwobosi (Igbo)
Capt. G. Adeleke (Yoruba)
Lt. Fola Oyewole (Yoruba), author of "The reluctant rebel"
Lt. R. Egbiko (Esan)
Lt. PM Okocha (Igbo)
Lt. Tijani Katsina(Hausa/Fulani)
Lt. O. Olafemiyan (Yoruba)
Capt. Gibson Jalo (Bali)
Capt. Swanton (Middle Belt)
Lt. Dag Warribor (Ijaw)
2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo (Hausa)
2nd Lt. John Atom Kpera (Tiv)
Capt. Ben Gbulie (Igbo)

Government officials

Prime Minister Abubakar Balewa † (Baggara)
Premier Ahmadu Bello † (Fulani)
Premier Samuel Akintola † (Yoruba)
Finance Minister Festus Okotie-Eboh † (Itsekiri)
Gen. Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi (Igbo)
Brig. Samuel Ademulegun † (Yoruba)
Brig. Zakariya Maimalari † (Kanuri)
Col. Kur Mohammed † (Kanuri)
Col. Ralph Shodeinde † (Yoruba)
Lt. Col. Yakubu Gowon (Ngas)
Lt. Col. Abogo Largema † (Kanuri)
Lt. Col. James Pam † (Berom)
Lt. Col. Arthur Unegbe † (Igbo)
Lt. Col. Conrad Nwawo (Igbo)
Maj. Hassan Katsina (Fulani)

List of the coup plotter

In oyewole,s book he didnot know about it,he was investigated and allowed freedom.this was an igbo coup.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Thorondor: 4:54pm On Jan 30, 2022
Food is ready. Yoruba Muslims and Igbos go grind themselves like pepper here today.

Make I collect sit for one side.

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Ojiofor: 4:56pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:
Thanks... Now I got to see a picture of how Arthur unaegbe looked like.. I took an interest in him after reading Gen. Madiebos Revolution and Civil war accounts over 2 decades ago..

This is a senior Igbo officer killed for vehemently opposing a coup by officers drawn from all the regions of the county... For those who have been brainwashed to keep parroting that it was an Igbo coup..

Those that carried out that coup against a young nation should all rot in hellfire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by obiekunie01: 4:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
BKayy:
I see some Yoloba people here arguing whether the Coup is Igbo or not forgetting what caused the coup.
This is why people say that they are backstabbers. They forget how their instability in the western region, their crisis and wrong trial of Awolowo drove the boys to do the coup.
Well, that is on the Yoloba side, on the North, it was about the Tiv uprising and the impending ethnic cleansing directed on the Northern Minorities, something we are now seeing today.

This is a lesson for those that trust the lamentations of Yolobas. When the shit gets real, they backstab.
Just look at Endsars and how it ended. It was a repeat of 1966 in another scale.
Endsars that was fanned by Yolobas ended with "Igbo want to destroy Lagos" another variant of "Igbo coup"

GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY!

3 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by DispatcherLagos: 4:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

Civilization got to my region so early.. I would rather use a mirror to count my teeth.

Reason why we are Sophisticated West
it takes an abnormally wide mouth for a mirror to show all your teeth.
More like a suffocated west

5 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by nnamdi640: 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
ViperAda:

It was an ibo coup and your lies would not change the facts. Lt. col. Arthur Unegbe was shot by Anuforo because he was known to be close to brig. Maimalari and had to be silenced. He was not killed for opposing the coup but for his closeness to Maimalari who was eventually killed by Ifeajuna.

-Viper
You said it was an Igbo coup. Please who mastermind the coup? If you can give me the name, then you are wrong to say it was an Ibo coup.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Golan007: 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
perambulator:

the trouble in yoruba land was one of the things USED AS AN EXCUSE for the coup but we have since realized that it is simply the nature of the ibos to want to always have things their way and their way only and when they do not get their way (they were increasingly not getting their way in Balewa's govt as they were wising up to the ibos) they scatter things for everybody.

One thing the history of Nigeria has taught us is that you cannot solve a problem with an ibo man peacefully. Peacefully to an ibo man means him getting his way. Just look at how they have turned the country upside down since 2015 simply because for the 1st time in the history of this country they werent part of the central govt.

You've said it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by dragunov: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:

The officers were not drawn from all regions. There were no Northern Hausa/Fulani/January/Gwari/Gwandara/Birom officers involved.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by joefelin2345: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
mightyhaze:

Oga, take it or leave it you're you're the one parroting lies or trying to rewrite history to suite your own purpose. The January. 15, 1966 coup is more of Igbo coup. That does not however meant that the whole Igbo race were in support of it's repercussions later affected millions of innocent souls both Igbo & non Igbo. For me rather than being defensive why don't we learn some lessons from it & move on as a one Nation. Thank you & God bless you real good. I leave you with smile as smile surprises people.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by frog12: 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
all the northern officers that participated in the counter-coup became presidents: gowon, murtala, buhari, babangida, abacha

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
dragunov:

The officers were not drawn from all regions. There were no Northern Hausa/Fulani/January/Gwari/Gwandara/Birom officers involved.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Investigative: 5:18pm On Jan 30, 2022
olas24u:

In oyewole,s book he didnot know about it,he was investigated and allowed freedom.this was N igno coup.
1983 coup by buhari is fulani coup too

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by asanausana91: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
Oyibo is the most wicked animal in the world. Blacks are not allowed to wear trousers. Hmmn.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by banggy: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
I don't know why we like supporting evil even when we know it's wrong

80% of the coupist are Igbo and some people are here still hailing them because they are from your region

Those guys are selfish and self centered
May they all rot in hell and their sympathizers too

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by dragunov: 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2022
BKayy:
I see some Yoloba people here arguing whether the Coup is Igbo or not forgetting what caused the coup.
This is why people say that they are backstabbers. They forget how their instability in the western region, their crisis and wrong trial of Awolowo drove the boys to do the coup.
Well, that is on the Yoloba side, on the North, it was about the Tiv uprising and the impending ethnic cleansing directed on the Northern Minorities, something we are now seeing today.

This is a lesson for those that trust the lamentations of Yolobas. When the shit gets real, they backstab.
Just look at Endsars and how it ended. It was a repeat of 1966 in another scale.
Endsars that was fanned by Yolobas ended with "Igbo want to destroy Lagos" another variant of "Igbo coup"

You guys always find a way to twist narrative and whine about Yoruba this, Yoruba that. Yorubas have never been the problem but you people. The officers who planned the coup did not involve Awolowo or any Tiv civilian in the planning and implementation of the coup. Besides, it was not officers drawn from Yoruba and other regions that failed in eliminating the Igbo politicians that were slated for execution. The Prime Minister and Northern premier(Northerners), the premier of the West and Okotiebor of Midwest were eliminated. Mention one Igbo politician eliminated. At the end of the bruhaha, an Igbo officer named Ironsi hijacked the coup and formed a unitary government which template is still in use today. Everybody is always the problem except you people. Nonsense.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by dragunov: 5:24pm On Jan 30, 2022
frog12:
all the northern officers that participated in the counter-coup became presidents: gowon, murtala, buhari, babangida, abacha

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

We are talking about the 1st coup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by patwilly(m): 5:25pm On Jan 30, 2022
Racoon:

First Generation of Nigerian Army officers - June 1959.
Perhaps only Yakubu Gowon lives on from this picture.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by joefelin2345: 5:25pm On Jan 30, 2022
Rubbiish:

@bold It wouldn't have become anything better than we have now. What prompted the coup in the first place? Have u read about the 1964 elections?
Oga don't start from 1964 election rather start from 1959 election or even earlier for proper analysis & unbiased assessment.

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Verysmart101: 5:32pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

So those who are currently having the position do not merit it right?

The word merit/deserved can only be used when it's Igbo bah?

Tell ur conscience the truth,are majority of Nigeria political office holders there on merit? If they were,Nigeria won't be in this terrible mess it's currently in now.Glance from the executive,legislature, judiciary,the service chiefs,the anti graft agencies head.Are they really there on merit?

3 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by asanausana91: 5:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
Racoon:

Though the coup was very unfortunate, but the pervading politico-military events preceding it were pointers that there were a lots of unaddressed grievances.

The Igbo domination of the early military Corps and civil service was conspicuous but based on merit as being ran by the colonial masters during the pre-independence Nigeria era.

However, the introduction of ethno-religious supremacist agenda cum bastardization of the then military by the Balewa-led NPC govt, quota system into the military and civil service, suppression of vociferous cry of the Western(Having clashed Awolowo-Akintola in the Wild Wild West era)/Middle Belt regions against marginalization by the northern controlled-army among many were among the catalysts.

Same thing they are still doing today-using the divide and rule approach that you lots are still supporting. Imagine it were a Yoruba/Igbo populated govt that is commiting all the atrocities under this satanic gov.

Let a Yoruba/Igbo led revolt happen now then you will understand why the early Nigerian Army officer acted they way they did then.Ask the Feb.13 1976 and April 22 1990 coup plotters to know better.

Meanwhile, the bloodier July 28-29 1966 counter coup and enthronement of hausa-fulanis led military till date didn't kill professionalism right? Hypocrite!
you called it revenge. In terms of revenge you can only put the blame to the first person that started it.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by olas24u(f): 5:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
Investigative:

1983 coup by buhari is fulani coup too

Yeah they didnnot want ekwieme to succed buhari

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Mrquote: 5:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
headSmasher:
We know you people always trying to change the narrative, what was the guy's post that got him killed, he is wasn't a top ranking officer that needed to die, he was just part of the casualties and stubbing blocks on the part of the senseless myopic unreasonable callous irresponsible Igbo officers that made him a Scape goat in the Igbo coup
You know why haven't they allowed what happened in the past to thought in secondary school your know so mush is a hear say no prof to back it. Let them bring back history to secondary school so people we know what happened in the past so they won't make the same mistakes in the future you people were so much in divide and rule that we forgot our history. Let's the history be thought in school ao young people we know

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Mrquote: 5:36pm On Jan 30, 2022
ViperAda:

You liar. Who were the host of others?. Can you mention any of the coupists who alleged Banjo as a member of the culprits in any account?.
Different narrative suggested that Banjo was arrested for plotting a coup against Aguiyi ironsi, another says he was found with a gun when he was summoned by Ironsi in his office, another says he was supposedly arrested to give the coup a national outlook rather than an ibo coup. There's no official account linking him to any coup.
Since he was close to Ojukwu who was rumored to be privy to the coup, one wonders why Ojukwu was not arrested if the rumor was true.
There is no official records where Banjo was listed among the coup plotters neither was any account attributed to the coupists either allegedly or confirmed he was part of them.

A coup that had 7 ibo majors, 3 ibo junior officers and 1 Yoruba major was obviously an ibo coup.

-Viper
Ask yourself why they refuse to teach history in school

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by od501: 5:37pm On Jan 30, 2022
ViperAda:

It was an ibo coup and your lies would not change the facts. Lt. col. Arthur Unegbe was shot by Anuforo because he was known to be close to brig. Maimalari and had to be silenced. He was not killed for opposing the coup but for his closeness to Maimalari who was eventually killed by Ifeajuna.

-Viper

Lies... where did you read your own history from? Lt. col. Arthur Unegbe was in charge of the Armory, he was shot because he refused to had over the keys. So the Coup plotters assumed him to be against them, and in support of the present government whom they accused of being excessively corrupt.

Most of you read the history of the war from the white man prospective, and ignoring what the key players in the even has to say.

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by DonTattaglia: 5:40pm On Jan 30, 2022
BKayy:

Am from a minority tribe in Benue state, but truth be told, d useless tribe called Yoloba are backstabbers. After my bitter experience in my university days in d South West, I swore I will NEVER NEVER do anything with them when it comes to accomplishing a task as a group. That coup had Banjo & very few Yoloba army officers involved. Anybody claiming otherwise is distorting history & will receive the wrath of spreading false information on such sensitive. Awolowo was d supposed beneficiary of that coup if it had succeeded, but unfortunately it didnt succeed as planned. Ironsi who now took over power didnt help matters, instead of court marshalling & executing d coup plotters, he chose to just leave them in detention. Hausas perceived it as an igbo coup becos most of the casualities were northern elites, few Yoloba politicians like Akintola etc, & just only 1 Igbo officer. But it is grossly misquoted to be an igbo coup. No thanks to Ironsi who further garnished that belief..

5 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by kenboski(m): 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2022
When men were men.
Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2022
ViperAda:

You liar. Who were the host of others?. Can you mention any of the coupists who alleged Banjo as a member of the culprits in any account?.
Different narrative suggested that Banjo was arrested for plotting a coup against Aguiyi ironsi, another says he was found with a gun when he was summoned by Ironsi in his office, another says he was supposedly arrested to give the coup a national outlook rather than an ibo coup. There's no official account linking him to any coup.
Since he was close to Ojukwu who was rumored to be privy to the coup, one wonders why Ojukwu was not arrested if the rumor was true.
There is no official records where Banjo was listed among the coup plotters neither was any account attributed to the coupists either allegedly or confirmed he was part of them.

A coup that had 7 ibo majors, 3 ibo junior officers and 1 Yoruba major was obviously an ibo coup.

-Viper

And after the counter coup in which many Igbo officers where wiped out , why kill over 30,000 Igbo civilians in the north ?

That was what caused the war -killing igbo civilians in there thousands-a genocide.

Please try justifying that ?

3 Likes

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by joefelin2345: 5:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
dragunov:

You guys always find a way to twist narrative and whine about Yoruba this, Yoruba that. Yorubas have never been the problem but you people. The officers who planned the coup did not involve Awolowo or any Tiv civilian in the planning and implementation of the coup. Besides, it was not officers drawn from Yoruba and other regions that failed in eliminating the Igbo politicians that were slated for execution. The Prime Minister and Northern premier(Northerners), the premier of the West and Okotiebor of Midwest were eliminated. Mention one Igbo politician eliminated. At the end of the bruhaha, an Igbo officer named Ironsi hijacked the coup and formed a unitary government which template is still in use today. Everybody is always the problem except you people. Nonsense.
God bless you my brother. Let us contend without accepting that Baba Awolowo was wrongly jailed did he asked them to carry out a coup on his behalf? For you to understand how much Baba hated shedding of blood, I recall the afternath of 1983 election & prior to Buhari's coup when Bola Ige & other governors in the SW were instigating their people to torment trouble, Baba had to called them to order by reminding them that he never did such since 1959 that he had been losing elections in Nigeria. As for the TIV's riot, was their leader Joseph Tarka not part if Gowon's Administration? Was Godwin Daboh not part of the people that went round Ikeja Army Barracks instigating Northern soldiers to stage a counter coup under the pretence that he was an Insurance Sales Agent? Who I'd the Chairman of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) today? Is not Audu Ogbe? Is he a Southerner? Why crying more than the bereaved if one has no ulterior motives? Why ead Baba Awolowo was not released immediately Ironsi took over if indeed he was perceived to have been jailed wrongly? Why did Gowon used the word... pardon...when he was being released? Sefini

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by mediainc: 5:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
The Queen, ain't no joke.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo by cosmos1440: 5:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
Mrquote:

You know why haven't they allowed what happened in the past to thought in secondary school your know so mush is a hear say no prof to back it. Let them bring back history to secondary school so people we know what happened in the past so they won't make the same mistakes in the future you people were so much in divide and rule that we forgot our history. Let's the history be thought in school ao young people we know

For your information, history was never removed from the secondary school syllabus in Nigeria. But most schools prefer making government a compulsory subject for Art students. Also, about 20% of the topics in government are contemporary history

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NNPC Discovers 21 Wells Full Of Prospects Of Oil In North / Reno Omokri Searching For Onitsha Trader Whose Shop Was Burnt In The Market Fire / Fresh F.M. Demolition: Ajimobi, Ayefele Meet; Govt Expresses Willingness To Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.