Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception (588 Views)

FUNNY!! Man Seen Complaining To The Police That The Weed Sold To Him Is Fake / My Encounter With SARS Changed My Mentality - Fattkay / My Encounter With 'Dreaded' SARS Operatives In Lagos; Man Narrates His Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by martyns303(m): 10:56am On Jan 30, 2022
On my way home today I got flagged down by the police, this happens very often and it can arguably be attributed to the fact that I drive a Benz.

The police officer asked if they have stopped me on this route before and I said yes, and he said then I should know that this is just a routine check and if I have all my papers complete, I said yes. He looked at the back seat and waved at me to go. Out of curiosity and the desire to ask a long burning question, I asked him why I always get flagged down (even though I partly know why).

The officer appeared very glad I asked, it looks like he's been wanting to explain this and asked if he can come in, I obliged.

And so, he began to talk, "Now, imagine you see an expensive car coming, that shouldn't be a concern, but as the car gets closer you can see that the driver is a young male with dreadlocks" at this point I cut in and said isn't that profiling? he continued "not necessarily, I haven't said he's a criminal, but in my experience it is a red flag, even in advanced countries you people look up to, if you dress, look and act in a particular way, it is a red flag to law enforcement. now you stop the car and the driver have visible tattoos and in his 20's. having a luxury car in your 20's should not be a problem, but this is a 3rd world country, we all know how the economy is, so you asked the young man what he does for a living and he can't point to any job or explain his source of income, how do such a scenery play out to you?"

At this point, he brought out his phone and showed me news of a 19yr old boy who along with his three other friends, had brutally murdered his girlfriend, decapitated her and burnt her head in a native pot. Then he asked how do I feel about such news, I said obviously I feel disgusted. then he asked if I was going to feign ignorance that this is not like a everyday occurrence, at this point I was beginning to see things from his perspective.

Then I asked why they are always hostile, he asked if he was hostile towards me when he stopped me, I said no. so he continued, "now, when the young man can not explain his source of income, next he starts feeling agitated, he starts shouting, trying to either intimidate you or antagonize you. At this point you ask him to step out of the car, but he either won't comply or tries to drive off, how do you respond to that?'

Without an answer, he continued. "now I am not saying the police is perfect, far from it, I know what some of my colleagues are up to, but if we don't fight this yahoo menace, you won't be safe, your sisters, my daughter and sisters may be next"

At this point I can only say he's won a disciple, and I hope to share this experience with you people, and that even though we want to criticize the police, when next we see such tags as police harassing young men for "balling" "being young and having it", we should be able to view things from the police point of view.

So, most of you guys are already saying the post is trash and all, now I can agree with you, but at least let us know why you think it is trash. I am very much open to hearing your point of view. I take the same route everyday and maybe I can share your opinion with the said police officer.

4 Likes

Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by Totilopussylick(m): 10:58am On Jan 30, 2022
undecided
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by Ryda(m): 11:03am On Jan 30, 2022
If this had happened in an advance country, I would have concurred.
Not in Nigeria! Never! angry
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by slawormiir: 11:06am On Jan 30, 2022
Damnnn niggarrrr
You just succeeded in saying gibberish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by Kriss216: 11:08am On Jan 30, 2022
The most foolish Post of the Month!

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by SportsHD: 11:11am On Jan 30, 2022
Stoopid post.

What about hardworking people that the police kidnap, force them to withdraw all their monies?

This is just a case of the stupid police officer not knowing his job.

What point of view are you talking about?
The only thing they know is profiling by looks

So because we are in a third world country, and I earn money legally and I'm in my twenties, I shouldn't do dreadlock because a stupid police officer doesn't know his work?

Ask that stupid police officer if he hasn't extorted a yahoo boy before instead of prosecuting him.
Ask him if he hasn't extorted an innocent person before, labelling him a yahoo boy.

Soon, all of una go dey walk on egg shells, to track erring and thieving cops no hard.
Bloody mutherfuvkers acting like they're immune to a bullet.
A bullet is too good for y'all. We should be hanging you from the bridge to serve as a deterent to other thieving cops.
Mtchewwww.
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:13am On Jan 30, 2022
Complete stereotype coming from a person who can't think but too quick to judge by looks..

Most of you Nigerians are very sick..you think the America police harass it's citizens cos of their looks..
They are smarter than that..they know looks doesn't play a role in your behavior or how your life is..
There are many guys who are doing great..

That Police officer needs to get sacked cos he is capable of perpetrating Evil..and you need to do away with that mentality..
I really want to throw up after reading this nonsense..I can't imagine the harassment those guys face cos of their looks..Pls live your life comfortably and don't listen to any blockhead who ain't paying your bills...
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by seunsiju(m): 2:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
walahi, looking from another perspective ....This guy is right wink
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by Dollarremix(m): 8:56pm On Jan 30, 2022
Those are the real niggas in the Nigerian Police Force.
Re: My Encounter With The Police That Changed My Perception by mccloud224(m): 12:41am On Jan 31, 2022
No be lie...

As much as I detest anything 9ja uniformed men, e get some kain nonsense stunts wey all dis kids with dreads,tatoos,sagged jeans with all the dirty a$$ protruding from completely exposed boxers (dem go still tuck hand inside blockos on top)...wey I don see tire for lekki and if I be officer, I go really make life miserable for dem...REAL talk.

No be to dey shout EndSars!!! What da f**k is u sticking ur fingaz in ur dirty boxers for? Datz gay as it gets. Its not sexy. Your life. My opinion.

End of!

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Slaughtered A Woman Over Alleged Blasphemy / N22m Contract Fraud: Ex-Maritime Academy Staff Bags 110 Years In Uyo (Photo) / The Discussion That Took Place Between A Nairalander And A Palmpay Scammer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.