Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida (1655 Views)

See The Crowd That Came Out For Jonathan Campaign Rally In 2015 In Kano / Some Northerners Mock Tinubu's Health, Say "Don't Vote For Him" (Video) / 2023: End Of The Road For Jonathan’s Rumoured Presidential Bid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by wwwihy: 12:25pm On Jan 30, 2022
Former governor of Niger State, Babangida Aliyu, shares his thoughts with AISHA WAKASO on the zoning of the presidency, insecurity in the country and other issues

As a former governor, what will you say were some of your legacies in Niger State?

I have set a standard for any governor to be judged in terms of what he has done or what he has not done. We mobilised the people to appreciate what governance is all about particularly by creating that fourth tier of government which is the ward level, where we went to make them feel like there is also a government at the ward level. When I see people tell me they would not have been in school if not for my coming as a governor, believe me it’s a relief from the other noise that comes from people. I see a retired person telling me thank you very much, you have paid us everything that was due to us.

When I became Niger State governor, I discovered that there were some of them who after 12 years of retirement had not even collected a kobo and many of them really died but we paid their families or their next of kin. I am happy that after we left, people were able to judge, they have been judging in our favour. After you leave office, you hear a lot of things but on the average, you find that people are even calling you to come back. I am happy that God has given me the opportunity to serve Niger State at that level.

You once described Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo as the best candidate for the APC. Some think as a PDP chieftain, you were unduly meddling into the ruling party’s affairs, what would you say about this?

I am a Nigerian and every Nigerian should be interested in who leads Nigeria. We have seen where in a situation of coup-d’etat we had no much to say in such situations but now that we are in a democracy, every Nigerian should be able to know the kind of people that lead us. More so, when it is said that people get the kind of government they deserve, meaning if you are a bad people, there is no way you can produce good government or good leaders. Therefore, my interest is that whether it is PDP or APC, let good people be recognised and be the ones elected into offices. A situation where our system has made it almost impossible for good people to present themselves for election and only those who have declared for party are entitled is not good. There is no room for independent candidate because of the nature of the people in the party. We don’t sit to say look, what kind of qualities are we looking for in governance? We need to appreciate, why is it that today, over 50 years after the assassinations of our leaders, we still remember them more? Why is that so? It is simply because they have shown some credible integrity; they have shown the qualities of good governance we require today.

For me, it is not a question of you are in the party, you must not talk about the other party, and in a situation where everyone thinks he must be the president of the country, it is not right.

There must be a yardstick where you will know that that office is not for you because of this and that, but when everybody wakes up and wants to be president, then you know that they want to be president for the wrong reasons. If you look at today, amongst all those who have indicated interest either publicly or privately, I’ll have Osinbajo because we have seen what he has done so far as the Vice President and the few times he has acted, what has transpired. Then I have my friend in Ekiti, Kayode Fayemi in the same APC. For me, I think there is a limit as to who and who should be where and at a given time but the presidency of this country should not be seen as a position where people would say they must be president. I don’t think that’s right and I will advise Nigerians that whether they are in the party system or not, to be very much interested in who governs us.

You also said recently that the PDP had zoned the presidency to the North, only for your party to deny your claim. What is your take on this?

As far as I know, there was never a meeting to say this has been zoned to this particular place. If some people felt that by zoning the chairmanship to the North will automatically mean that the presidential candidate must automatically come from the South, this has now been blunted by saying anyone from any corner of the country can now contest. We can’t have a situation where every little thing is looked at in the prism of “we must breakup, we must do this, and we must do that.” I know that some people don’t know how to argue their own case; they always go to the extreme but we can’t afford that at every moment. We question the sovereignty and that is why I believe that we agreed that every person can contest. That may not stop the PDP later on, maybe when we see that the whole purpose of a party is to win election, to articulate its position and sell it to the people and win election. You don’t have a party simply for having a party. A party is supposed to articulate, aggregate the interest of the people and really win elections and if you can’t win elections after a given time, you better change your tactics.

Insecurity has been a major challenge in the North. Some local government areas in Niger State have been taken over by terrorists. How do you think this challenge can become a thing of the past?

It is really unfortunate that we have allowed the situation to reach this level, and let me say again, I don’t want to be misconstrued as being in that group- this is a cumulative issue. When Boko Haram started and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan’s government started doing something about it, it fell on former President Jonathan to carry on. Many northerners misconstrued his (Jonathan) position at that time and for political purposes, they threw many arguments that made it impossible for the proper articulation and proper implementation of policies that would have got rid of Boko Haram and now, we still have them till today. The banditry that many of us thought was impossible to happen, I am yet to hear from anybody about the statement credited to Kawu Baraje, our former PDP national chairman in Kwara State, when he stated that they brought the bandits or Fulani from other places. I think based on the thinking that probably former President Jonathan wouldn’t have handed over power even if they had won, but he handed over. He congratulated them even before the conclusion proper counting of votes which then took away whatever purposes of bringing those people would have served and I would have thought that if that is true, then those who brought them in would compensated them to go back to where they came from.

I believe if the governors had really done a lot from 2015 to date, we would have got rid of the banditry but today, it’s so unfortunate that you probably have to be praying when you leave Abuja for Kaduna or Kaduna to Abuja or indeed, particularly in the northern states. Any road that you follow, you probably need a lot of prayers and this is contrary to the position before where many of us were driving from one place to the other, used to sleep in the daytime so we can drive at night when there will be less traffic, less noise. Now, even in the day time, you can’t drive freely and comfortably. So, I believe that the first port of call for fighting insecurity is the governors. Maybe you heard me in Kano when I was saying could one be greater than 19 because at one time, even though the circumstances were different, we had one man for 19 states and now, we have 19 governors and still, we have more problems than we did the last time.

We need to look at how our people are really enjoying their lives and unemployment. Before, we used to beg parents to allow them take their wards to school. Now, they have allowed them to go to school. Many of them have been uprooted from their local culture, many of them are farmers and now, they can’t go back to their farms. They have had their degrees or whatever courses they have gone for and now, unemployment is facing them for five years, six years and thereafter, we are not thinking of any innovation to engage them.

Some communities now pay levies to bandits who have now been tagged terrorists. Is this not a sign that government has failed in the area of securing the lives of the people and their freedom?

https://punchng.com/some-northerners-made-it-difficult-for-jonathan-to-defeat-boko-haram-babangida-aliyu/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Baawaa(m): 12:26pm On Jan 30, 2022
The banditry that many of us thought was impossible to happen, I am yet to hear from anybody about the statement credited to Kawu Baraje, our former PDP national chairman in Kwara State, when he stated that they brought the bandits or Fulani from other places. I think based on the thinking that probably former President Jonathan wouldn’t have handed over power even if they had won, but he handed over. He congratulated them even before the conclusion proper counting of votes which then took away whatever purposes of bringing those people would have served and I would have thought that if that is true, then those who brought them in would compensated them to go back to where they came from.
PDP know much about bokoharam that is just the fact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Totilopussylick(m): 12:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
cheesy
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by greatiyk4u(m): 12:36pm On Jan 30, 2022
H
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Salvador1: 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2022
Why tell us now?
When una aim was just for a northerner to take over against a good man gej.
After the did has been done.
You knew about it and u kept it to yourself until now.
Thunder fire u babangida.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by freemanq(m): 12:40pm On Jan 30, 2022
Why are u talking now if u are not part of them ,am really disappointed in you elderstateman without shame

2 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by ItsGoodToBeGood: 12:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
Who come dey suffer the consequence now, Jonathan abi?

Always playing politics with their lives

4 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Ojiofor: 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
That is very true.The North used Bokoharam and insecurity in the North to remove GEJ from power.

4 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Bola146(f): 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
Like yourself sir undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by helinues: 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
No be same northerners are making it hard for FG to defeat the miscreants. Which tribe is the majority in Nigeria Army, Navy, air force and Police.

Northerns are not yet ready to stop the madness of Boko Haram and Bandits. How many are all their foot soldiers compared to our NPF officers alone?

Election is around the corner, irrespective of the political party, the dump Politicians from North would be using Boko Haram and co to be displacing their opponents base while later offering them aids, acting as an innocent while not knowing that's the person behind their displacement.

Na only God know where Northerners learn their own game of politics from. Killing and displacing your own people to proof which point exactly?

Rada Rada!!

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Leverage2021: 12:49pm On Jan 30, 2022
Baawaa:

just like buhari knows much about bandits his regime created abi?

I am glad same Northerners are confessing they made fighting Boko Haram difficult

It reminds me of the dogs and babbon man who said attack on Terrorists is attack on north

3 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Leverage2021: 12:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:
No be same northerners are making it hard for FG to defeat the miscreants. Which tribe is the majority in Nigeria Army, Navy, air force and Police.

Northerns are not yet ready to stop the madness of Boko Haram and Bandits. How many are all their foot soldiers compared to our NPF officers alone?

Election is around the corner, irrespective of the political party, the dump Politicians from North would be using Boko Haram and co to be displacing their opponents base while later offering them aids, acting as an innocent while not knowing that's the person behind their displacement.

Na only God know where Northerners learn their own game of politics from. Killing and displacing your own people to proof which point exactly?

Rada Rada!!
They are learning from "where are the cows master" that refer to play politics with the lives of his people just to look good before those not his people

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Leverage2021: 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2022
When north started the first scam of children kidnap in chibok

How far now, why is nobody disturbed again when they hear school children kidnap

Could it be you now know what gej knew 8 years ago

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by OfficialAwol(m): 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
Call Buhari by his Name, nobody will beat you.

We all know that Boko boys = Buhari boys.

Meanwhile, it was an all northerners project to frustrate Jonathan.

I really feel pity for him.

3 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Sonoyom(m): 1:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
Oga start mentioning names oooo

2 Likes

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by kaludestiny10(m): 1:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
Their business. This is a family issue and I don't like to meddle in someone else's family problems. Thank you.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by emetisuccess(m): 1:24pm On Jan 30, 2022
Nothing concern us. It is not our business. Cry ur cry. we also have our own cry to cry here. That is the business the north.

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by BeardedmeatR(m): 1:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
Sonoyom:
Oga start mentioning names oooo
Himself and kassim shettima were the ring leaders.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by cyril10(m): 1:41pm On Jan 30, 2022
We already know that, the evil and wicked ones among us will close their eyes to that fact just to frustrate and monkey Jonathan who has tried his best even in the midsts of haters and ethnic bigots.

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Ladyhart: 2:23pm On Jan 30, 2022
I sell charcoal pls patronize me.
Btw, I need someone to help me with a loan.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by techWriter3: 3:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
come dey the abi?... Okay, check my PROFILE if you need help with your dissertation, assignment, or thesis.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by amuwo1980: 3:23pm On Jan 30, 2022
All the northern elites pdp and APC plus a number of south west leaders were all involved in the Boko haram insurgence, the chibok girls , they plotted everything and these are people who claim to love Nigeria , the heart of men is so so evil .
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Sonoyom(m): 4:03pm On Jan 30, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
Himself and kassim shettima were the ring leaders.
That one is obvious na, it's painful that they play politics with even the lives of humans.

1 Like

Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by JAMO84: 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2022
Rubbish talk.

So, Jonathan ran his government based on what the Northerners want?

It goes a long way to confirm what we already know, that he was a weak and clueless President.

I have heard many foolish reasons for failure, but this must be top of it all.

I AM DONE TALKING
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by slivertongue: 4:26pm On Jan 30, 2022
When Boko Haram started and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan’s government started doing something about it, it fell on former President Jonathan to carry on. Many northerners misconstrued his (Jonathan) position at that time and for political purposes, they threw many arguments that made it impossible for the proper articulation and proper implementation of policies that would have got rid of Boko Haram and now, we still have them till today.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Onyenna(m): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2022
Mmttcchheeeewww!!!!!!
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by Ladiesdoctor(m): 5:22pm On Jan 30, 2022
Of course we know
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by sammuell(m): 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
Baawaa:

And who are the PDP??
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by orisa37: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
BABANGIDA ALIYU IS RIGHT. GOD BLESS HIS IDEAS.
Re: Some Northerners Made It Difficult For Jonathan To Defeat Boko Haram – Babangida by OBALOLA55(m): 7:06pm On Jan 30, 2022
INCLUDING TINUBU

(1) (2) (Reply)

NPF Arrested A Local ‘mkpo Na Ani’ Maker. Shame On Oyigboupdate, Udele1 (pics) / 2023: Osibanjo Now Regrets Aiding Tinubu In State Capture Of 10% Lagos Taxes / BREAKING: Seven Nigerian Soldiers Killed As Terrorists Ambush Army General’s Con

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.